Old 10-24-2002, 07:39 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

pinopolis , South Carolina
Smily I will also be at the next rally in Walterboro. I enjoy the Jack Daniels and so do others there. I will have one with with you at the happy hour.

Old 10-24-2002, 09:42 AM   #16
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Welcome aboard

Fred,
I have heard the lore of your restorations and I am looking forward to meeting you. I recently joined the Coastal unit and all of the folks I have spoke to think that you and I are neighbors until I explain that Pinopolis and Pimlico are not quite the same place.

I look forward to a nice stiff jack daniels at the Green Acres Campground.

Smily

Old 10-24-2002, 02:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Smily,
While not a member of WBCCI, it would seem that they should have well rounded activities in which members could participate or not. I drank like a fish while in college until I wised up and started studying. I enjoy a good Jack Daniels, Rum and Coke or Margarita as well as a wine cooler now and then. Those members not wishing to attend a happy hour could have an alternative activity. I could see that there is a segment of the population who have different opinions about alcohol and do not wish to have their children around those partaking of the consumption. They should have that right and feel free to go to another activity. I grew up going to church every Sunday and every once in a while my mother would say that we have to be seen in church. I now go when I feel a need and for what I feel are special times during the year, not to be seen by others. If I felt that I was being pressured to attend a Sunday morning service because every other member would be there then it would be a turnoff. These are just a few of my thoughts because before I ever joined a local unit, I'd sure want to know that I would be comfortable fitting in (sort of like joining my fraternity during college, that is another story).

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 02:41 PM   #18
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Good point

I agree that there should not be children subjected to Drunken stupor, but there are parents with these children and it is somewhat a responsibility to monitor the situation just as well that the drinking adult should be aware that there are children around.

Most importantly, I agree that there should be alternative activities for those that are not attracted to the drinking crowd.

This would maybe create some divide in the WBCCI attendees but I believe it is inevitable that the WBCCI will become, (if not already) stereo-typed as straight laces.

I am by no means out to cast stones or offend. As a matter of fact, I have only attended one rally and I am trying to keep my mind open.

I have already had to defend the WBCCI with my co-workers who definitely have stereotyped the WBCCI as "old folk fun"

The retired / older generation have been the only ones who could afford the Airstream way of life but time marches on and evolution is inevitable. The younger crowd is slowly but surely moving into the Airstreaming world and we will want to be members of the WBCCI.

To all of the senior community, I apologize if I have offended but please understand that we just want to be part of the crowd but not judged.

Very respectfully,
Smily
Old 10-24-2002, 03:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Smily,
I didn't take any of your remarks as being negative in any way. I am open minded and feel that people have different wishes and desires. I took your comments as an observation of the rally you attended and you were wondering if all WBCCI rallies were of the same nature. If I were in your shoes I would have asked the same thing. At almost 52 yrs. old, I like different music than my 15, 17, 18 and 22 yr. old children. There have been times I have had to close bedroom doors or even tell them to never play a particular song or record because of extremely vulgar language or it is one of those "cop killer" songs. I can cuss with the best of them if I have to but I figure it is my house and there have to be certain rules. Most of the time they respect that but they slip up every once in awhile. Now if I could just get my 17 yr. old to hike his bluejeans up just a little higher so I can't see his underwear. Wedgies worked on my 22 yr. old to the point he got tired of me sneaking up on him but this 17 yr. old has a little thicker skull.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 10-24-2002, 11:01 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I decided to use a coolie on my liquid refreshments. While this isn't an exact picture of my coolie, I've replaced the initials with the word Airstream.

Jack
Attached Images

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 08:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Coolie

But ... where are the rivets?

Besides that, the can must first be balanced, then the can and the coolie must be balanced together. Otherwise, you may have rear-end damage, loose tooth fillings, glasses pulling away from your nose, and things like that.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 08:47 AM   #22
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
factory balanced drum

Hate to get off subject on this thread but,

you have obviously overlooked the metal tab affixed to the upper left side of this drum..... and it looks as though it was placed there at the factory,

I would say that this drum is balanced at the factory.

Smily
Old 10-25-2002, 11:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
I agree that there should not be children subjected to Drunken stupor, but there are parents with these children and it is somewhat a responsibility to monitor the situation just as well that the drinking adult should be aware that there are children around.
I'm in my late thirties, and I don't care to be subjected to being around someone in a drunken stupor. But it's a long way from a drink or two to a drunken stupor.

Ultimately, WBCCI is a traveling group. Nobody wants to see true drunkenness in a group of drivers. I have been in units with regular drinkers, and never heard a disparaging remark from other members.

As far as the religious theme, I haven't seen that before. I know that grace is said before meals and a church service is often offered on Sunday morning of a rally. But I have never been pressured to attend a service, nor have I heard disparaging remarks about anyone else that chose not to attend. It's more like the services are available for those chosing to participate, without pressure on anyone else.

You said the entertainment had a religious bent. It sounds to me like you ended up in either an ultraconservative group, or with an ultraconservative rally host.

Try another unit. You'll find a group you like and that likes you.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Without being longwinded like my previous post, I think Edie is right. Try another group. I don't know how many participants were at the rally you attended but if 10-20 Airstreams were there and they were rather conservative, then I would think that the theme would continue along this line. I tend to be on the conservative side, definately not liberal, but would enjoy being at a rally with a mixture of liberal, middle of the road and conservative for an interesting mix. I'd feel like a fish out of water in an ultra conservative or extremely religious group.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 10-25-2002, 12:13 PM   #25
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
No harm

I meant no harm at all, This thread started as an in quisition on what to expect at rallies. I have certainly received a lot of input and come to the conclusion that maybe I was to conscientous or afraid to ask.

But now I am informed and will probably be a little more relaxed.

I never said that the religous influence was wrong, only wanted to know if that was what to expect from now on.

I concur that the drunken stupor was exagerated but just trying to feel the crowd out while staying out of view.

Thanks for all of the input and God bless you all.

Cheers
Smily
Old 10-25-2002, 09:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Hi, Just purchased a new 2002 .....We were thinking of joining the camaradrie.....this has give us new thoughts.

Our ancestors have been here a long time; we are mixed ethnic/religion (Irish Cat/Jewish) and we do like to drink coctails.
I didn't think when we finally got to an Airstream that I was buying a bunch of krap like "upper drawer" no drinks (they hide it) Doesn't anyone feel like we do.... both my wife and I taught school, didn't molest anyone, pays our bills, etc.

So much for that Wally Byam stuff. We shall not join.

Kistler
Old 10-25-2002, 09:56 PM   #27
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Hi Kistler,
We felt just like you do and guess what, we joined in spite of it.
We always left a campsite cleaner than we found it.
I always let other cars pass me when I think I am holding up traffic.
I always will try my best to help another Rv'er in despair.
I always will enjoy a drink, if i wish to do so.
I never will be told to participate in any kind of religious service that is forced upon me.
You just never know, some day you may see # 5580 and miss out of a lot of fun by a pre-conceived opinion!
PeterH-79MH and Catstream
WBCCI #5580
Members at large
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 10:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
hi folks
dont get carried away with one unit there are more than one . i hung it up with one unit (3yrs ago). but you wouldnt beleive the nice people that i hated to say good by to. i recently switched units and think the new unit is going to be a winner. i see a lot of the nice folks i liked in the other unit has switched also. the old unit had a lot of religeous activities that i didnt participate in. as for drinking i know some of the folks were drinking but it was very discrete . didnt see any one that was drunk .they didnt have a happy hour or open time for same. i go to football tailgate partys and most people drink and then there are the drunks. want to ruin a party invite a drunk... but we dont have drunks in the wbcci . my experinces is go to a few ralleys and if you dont feel like you are one of the group . try another group. i was up at jackson center, wbcci will tell you that it is a dying organization as the majority of members are old as dirt. next rally you go to try to find some one who is not 60 yrs old . and you know how old people are stuborn as heck and out spoken and they dont care .
dont give up yet try another unit..
good luck al