Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2004, 09:45 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Ken- I looked at your local's web page and I must say it is impressive. The rally pictures show a "younger" crowd than what I have found in other units. I mean there were actually kids in those pictures!

And sounds like you guys are having an awesome time. If I found a unit like yours, I would have joined a long time ago. It looks like the Oregon unit that is sponsoring the Newberry Crater Rally might be that unit so I think I'll join their unit even if they are in Oregon. And I'll see all the local units at the regional rally later this year so I'll get a good feel for all the locals around here. I think I will be a member at large untill then (but thanks for your offer).

As for Escapees, I joined them for their support such as discounted camping at many parks and SKP/Rainbow Parks, camping on private property like ranches, and that magazine. The SKP/Rainbow parks are very impressive resorts and they were all built by Escapee volunteers. Amazing! Check out the Jojoba Hills SKP Resort at http://www.jojobahills.com/ to see what I mean. It is hard to believe it was built by volunteers. And I can camp at these parks for something like $7 a night.

Also I have been told that the Escapades (national rallies) are simply incredible. I have been told they have incredible seminars on RVing, such as a RV maintenance class or driving tips class. The emphasis is on learning something new about RVing. Again this club tends to be an older persons group but since they are so big, the Escapades have all kinds, shapes, & sizes.

And yes Escapees is a club for other SOBs but Airstreamers are among them. In fact, I saw a listing for a couple of rallies at an Airstream park in Florida, I think. Go figure.

P.S. I have really enjoyed this awesome forum!
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:01 AM   #202
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I am a fence sitter - someone who jumped into our local unit and then got spit out.

The first rally we went to cannot count the number of times we heard "oh your still working". So we were going to quit there. But then they had a rally at a place we wanted to go, so we went to it had a good time and offered to get involved - was asked to be second vice pres, then first. When it was time to be president, several weeks before the installation rally, I got this call and was told that since I was still working, it was decided that they would make someone else the president. It goes without say they did not follow there own bi-laws.

During my second and first vp postion I asked a number of times if I could help in anyway - I had understood that 1st vp plans rallies - but was told I did not need to worry about it.

Sooo we have not been back since - still have the 1st vp flag and blue book that they have been to chicken s...... to come and get.

So at the moment I'm sitting on the fence - thinking about not renewing after being a member for about 5-6 years. At minimum I will join another unit, but all rallies of other units are far to get to for someone "who is still working".

I know some will tell me to try other units, at this point I'm not motovated to do so, we REALLY enjoy the vintage and forum rallies. Whats interesting about those is there are all age groups involved and everybody has a great time.

Its really too bad, because we were really excited about the club and had accepted those in club.... its too bad we were not accepted as well.

WBCCI had better make some fast changes - but not sure that can happen since all decisions are made on a local level.

Ken J
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #203

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hey Big Dee, I'm totally with you on pretty much everything you said. I think if the WBCCI wants to continue collecting new members and survive as a club, there are definitly changes that need to be made. Problem is, it's people like us who need to make it. The people who are already in it, not all of them but many of them, are just too far away from the problems to see it.

That's why I advocate things like using websites (I'm working on getting one set up for our unit but they are slow to approve it), and having smaller, camping get-togethers. They don't even need to be rallys - they don't need to always organize breakfasts and Sunday sermons and stuff like that, just a chance for some folks to get together for the weekend and camp would be good enough. We can make our own fun if we just had a way to stay in touch and organize the when and where. It seems like big rallys are very complex, and frankly all the activities which must be attended at a certain time are my least favorite part. We always spend lots of time exploring and hiking, and come back in the afternoon for the 'sitting around the trailer jawing' period that happens before happy hour - that's the best part!

So I also agree that forum rallys suit me just fine. I wish there were some out our way. I think this forum is a great way to stay in touch, and to meet other folks in your area.

Also, I've had people at rallys tell me, well intentioned, that I HAVE to go on a caravan, you just won't fully enjoy the WBCCI until you do. Which makes me feel like I should drop out until I'm retired, surely these folks didn't go on month long caravans back in the days when they were working? It makes me wonder how the club used to function back when the majority of the members still worked and only had weekends free to play.

So I go back and forth - there's a lot of really nice folks in our unit and the neighboring WA unit, and I've really enjoyed spending time with them, but there are improvements that could be made too. And I don't see any reason why these changes should disrupt the current member's enjoyment of things. Seems like we all want the same things, we're just not speaking the same language.

I hope anyone out this way who wants to makes it to Newberry Crater. I know of several folks who are coming from as far away as CA and MT to join us already (long drives!). I'll look forward to finally getting a chance to meet some of you face to face!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #204
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Staggering

I am truly staggered and I am so happy that I do belong to a unit as good as the one I am in. Our last pres was still workin and many before that. Our current pres is still workin and about five of our board members are working if not more.

The older folks have grac iously stepped aside and they truly are pleased that the next gen has moved in. It seems that they are willing to let anyone run the show as long as they dont have to do it again Just kidding but they are very gracious.

I can only say that I wish that you folks out there could have a unit like ours. If they were, this thread would probably not exist.

If you can find it within yourself, join the club and help the evolution. It is what you make of it.

The escapees sounds like a lot of fun

smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:52 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
YES, THAT'S IT!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts

and having smaller, camping get-togethers. They don't even need to be rallys - they don't need to always organize breakfasts and Sunday sermons and stuff like that, just a chance for some folks to get together for the weekend and camp would be good enough. We can make our own fun if we just had a way to stay in touch and organize the when and where. It seems like big rallys are very complex, and frankly all the activities which must be attended at a certain time are my least favorite part. We always spend lots of time exploring and hiking, and come back in the afternoon for the 'sitting around the trailer jawing' period that happens before happy hour - that's the best part!

So I also agree that forum rallys suit me just fine. I wish there were some out our way. I think this forum is a great way to stay in touch, and to meet other folks in your area.
Yes Stephanie! Now that is exactly what I am looking for. I really don't care for any organized activities during the day. I like to be free during the day to do my own thing (and not pay for activities I don't want, i.e. rally fee). But in the evening, I would love to share a happy hour with a group of Airstreamers around a campfire. And maybe a potluck dinner, possibly. There would be no rally fee, everyone just pays for their own site. And no pressures that I have read about in earlier posts ("your still working???", "You MUST go on a caravan!", or "You really should have your numbers on the trailer") That would be my perfect rally!

And it is hard (gotta be brave) to join a group then turn around and tell them that they got to change. I know the older you get, the less change is desired. I mean if you join a group, aren't you joining it for what it is and not what it isn't? Maybe some new units will start popping up with a name like "Working Airstreamers of Region 9" or something like that. I'd join in a second!

As for units resisting having their own web page? Wow, talk about resisting change. That just shows me that another unit is out of touch and not for me!
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #206
_

. , .
it's good to know wbcci participation is a dynamic issue......
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Fabulous picture Shari

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut

You may need to check out several different WBCCI Units to find one that "fits" your lifestyle better. It's true, the VAC bunch tends to be a "younger crowd", although in our unit the two groups "play nicely together".

Shari
That picture is primo and really shows the active lifestyle of Airstreamers. That belongs on the cover of Airstream Life!

Some people may not be in a locale of much choice in regards to units. A rally with a great unit may constitute quite a lengthy trip for some and not nearly as accessable as if it were a local event unfortunately.

EDIT: I believe I have lost my place in responding in this thread--oops. 2airishman I think you are doing quite a good job of bringing history to light. Very interesting.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote