Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
WBCCI - One Man's Negative Opinion

Let me state up front that this posting is not intended to offend anyone, to start a “flame” war, or to sway anyone’s opinion….pro or con. It is merely my (our) personal experiences and opinions of the WBCCI. I know that many will disagree with our opinions, and I respect that, but request that you keep your responses civil.

We joined our local WBCCI Unit in April 2009, while attending our first “buddy” rally. The campground (Airstream Park) is owned and maintained by unit members, and has three-point hookups. It also has a nice clubhouse for social functions, and a well-equipped kitchen. The rally was well organized, with good food and unit activities (seminar on polishing, open house, etc.). It was a bit difficult to obtain information on unit activities/park/rally, as the unit’s website no longer exists. A couple of Airstream friends (that we had met at forum rallies) provided the rally information, and were our sponsoring “buddies.” However, I was first in line entering the park and the lady host, who was quite old, tried to run me off because I was not a WBCCI member……she apparently didn’t understand what a “buddy” rally was. After some intervention by more knowledgeable unit members, we chose our campsites. Although the campground has full hookups, the spots are primitive and were (at that time) infested with ants. Our first impression of the members was……these people are really, really old. Now, I’m a young 65….so, take it from there. The second thing I noticed (with a beer in my hand) was the sign on the clubhouse….”no alcohol allowed.” OK, I can respect that. Although we are not religious, I can also respect the group’s decision to bless each meal. But, the conversations that were laced with religious references, and the church singer that was one night’s entertainment, just about drove me bonkers. However, the unit members were nice, enthusiastic about our joining, and we wanted to see the WBCCI succeed…..so, we decided to join. We did not attend any more unit rallies since April, but decided to attend a regional rally last week. We thought that it would probably have some younger members, and maybe be a bit more anchored in the 21st Century……we couldn’t have been more wrong.

There were approximately 100 Airstreams at the regional rally……and, the median age of attendees had to be close to 80. It is a bit scary to think that some of these folks are still towing trailers/driving motor homes. The rally was held at a nice complex that provided concrete pads, and three-point hookups. There was a package of materials that provided all the information/schedule of events that one could ask for. However, there were only a couple of activities (a day trip to a flea market 120 miles away, and golf tournament) that we were interested in. Other activities such as listening to “dignitaries” speak, and playing card/board games rank right up there with “watching paint dry.” The three nights of entertainment included one night of vintage film covering Cape Town to Cairo. It was interesting to see the hardships that those folks overcame. The second night’s entertainment was a three-person teen group that harmonized well, but progressed to gospel music. The third night was a gospel quartet…..which we skipped. The rally was attended by IBT President Tom Collier, and his wife, along with some other IBT “important people.” We had just been notified that annual memberships should be renewed by the end of October. When I asked why I had to pay again, after only six months, Mr. Collier responded that “Yes, we have to pay.” Well, probably not! It was very apparent that one of main agenda items of the IBT representatives was pitching the International Rallies…..especially Gillette, WY. One notable comment was made by the Region President, and that was not to pay any attention to the stuff that is being posted on the Internet…..just come out and have fun. I was also told that you receive from your membership, what you put into it…..get involved. Seems like it has to be something we would be interested in first.

So, what is the bottom line for us???? The answer is quite simple……the WBCCI (in its current form) is definitely not something we want to be associated with. In fact, I’m hoping that I can get those red numbers off without leaving any marks. From our prospective, it is an organization that is stuck in the past, with a rapidly aging membership…..someone pegged it perfectly with the term “Laurence Welk attitudes.” It is an organization that provides quite a bit to the majority of the older members that we have met…..my Mother would love it! However, the leadership is sticking their heads in the sand, and refusing to embrace new technology….where most of the younger potential members reside. Some of that can be attributed to the fact that they just don’t understand it…..but, refusing to listen to new ideas is inexcusable……and, will probably lead to the club’s demise.

BTW, we have attended three forum rallies and that’s what works for us……put up your feet, have a few drinks, and tell some “war stories”…….it is a lot more fun for us without all the pomp and circumstance.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Chief,

I'm not going to try and "sell" on the WBCCI but your experience was similar to our first one with a local unit except that those folks were not welcoming or nice.

They did quit ignoring us long enough to look aghast when we opened our beers.

However we visited a few other units and found they all have different personalities. We wound up in a great unit where we really look forward to the rallies. Forum rallies and our unit's rallies are a lot alike and with many of the same folks.

I do agree with you on the mindset of many of the folks at the upper levels of the club but we focus on our units activities and generally ignore them. Never let a dud spoil the party...

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
It is unfortunate that your WBCCI experience was negative. We are attending our first Region Rally this weekend. I have been told to expect 65 to 70 units. At our last unit rally, there were over 35 units.

We have enjoyed all of the unit rallies we have attended and we have an open mind for this new rally experience.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Wow Chief

I can hardly wait till The Can Opener and hear what you real thoughts are about WBCCI.

Don't pull the numbers off just yet. Sugarfoot or I might be able to get you to join the WDC unit

Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Sorry to hear that your first few experiences weren't what you hoped. Similar to my first attempt. There are other units that may offer more of what you're looking for and one of the beauties of today's digital society, you can be a member of any unit you so desire. I have found a unit that I am very involved with and have been since its inception several years back. Take another look before peeling the big red numbers.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I SO look forward to the day when people no longer need to start threads bashing the WBCCI.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
I know exactly what you mean, Chief! But, it's true, each club does have its own personality and there are lots of likeminded 'streamers in the WBCCI, hoping to connect. Please consider hanging in there, at least in spirit. New people are coming up and there's an effort underway to embrace new technologies.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
_

. , .
hi chief...

your experience has been told and retold MANY times here by widely diverse people, in old threads...

uncanny in the similarities and with the equally common happy rebuff "sorry about YOUR experience, but MY unit is wonderful..."

it isn't really a 'negative opinion' so much as a dull experience, and repeating it might become negative...

removing the red numburz is easy and should NOT affect the clearcoat.

IF you can raise the edge or corner of EACH digit with a finger nail or plastic card,

a little wd' or goo gone soaked into a cloth and COVERING them will get the peeling going.

it's a vinyl graphic and a hot air gun can also be used.

devoman is an expert on this stuff and can offer tips on removing vinyl graphics.

i opted NOT to renew this year and it's been a HUGE blessing.

let them sink or succeed but without my help or money.

IF the primary reason to be IN is rallies and camping vents, well we have those here.

i see NO need for insurance, NO need to pay a rally fee, no need for name tags

NO need to follow an exact script and NO need to be 'guided' into a parking spot i'm paying for by somebody (or a group) waving sticks..

and absolutely no need 4 GROUP prayers, b4 meals OR drinking at exactly 4:30.

having been to BOTH styles of rallies the forum approach is SO much more relaxed and simple.

a few shared meals, impromptu entertainment, multiple camp fires and beverage times and so on...

even the largest forum rallies are SO much more relaxed with people independently deciding what to do next and without ANY officers.

ULTIMATELY the individual needs to survey personal traits and likes,

experience with (and need for) shriners style clubs and the meaning of camping freedom.

funny thing is LAST year someone deeply involved with the wb'z came to the opener...

while bicycling around and popping into say hello at various campsites,

this fellow wearing a beret, badge and name tag stepped OUT into the street in front of me...

he said "ARE YOU WITH THIS AIRSTREAM GROUP?"

2 which i replied... "how dooo you mean with ?"

he then emphatically said "GET A NAME TAG ON! everyone MUST WEAR A NAME TAG OR THIS THING IS GONNA BE CHAOS!"

i started to say... "we don't need no stinking...." but instead replied...

chaos? oh man that sounds like FUN! if i put ON a name tag, can i take OFF my clothes?"

he quickly scurried BACK INSIDE this trayla...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
..... The second thing I noticed (with a beer in my hand) was the sign on the clubhouse….”no alcohol allowed.” OK, I can respect that. Although we are not religious, I can also respect the group’s decision to bless each meal. But, the conversations that were laced with religious references, and the church singer that was one night’s entertainment, just about drove me bonkers....
Chief, I could have written your post about my first experience. And I too was rescued by meeting the folks at the WDCU. All WBCCI chapters are not the same. But in Florida, let's face it - geriatric is to be expected.

Shop around. There are more forward looking WBCCI chapters out there. Oh, and my first unit - frankly it had some YOUNG FOGIES so it's not always an age thing!

Paula
Old 10-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
while bicycling around and popping into say hello at various campsites,

this fellow wearing a beret, badge and name tag stepped OUT into the street in front of me...

he said "ARE YOU WITH THIS AIRSTREAM GROUP?"

2 which i replied... "how dooo you mean with ?"

he then emphatically said "GET A NAME TAG ON! everyone MUST WEAR A NAME TAG OR THIS THING IS GONNA BE CHAOS!"

i started to say... "we don't need no stinking...." but instead replied...

chaos? oh man that sounds like FUN! if i put ON a name tag, can i take OFF my clothes?"

he quickly scurried BACK INSIDE this trayla...

cheers
2air'
Youze one BAD BUNNY Mon!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Yes, there are some old thinking units in WBCCI, yes, the leadership needs to change and yes, my unit(s) are great.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 10-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
The units that are growing are the ones to get involved with.

Another thing to watch is the rally calendar.. a big red flag would in my mind be a luncheon at somewhere like the Golden Corral or another non - camping event that does not involve fun.

We would be happy to show you a good time at one of our rallies. If it were not for our unit, we would not belong to the WBCCI plain and simple.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Look, I'm with you all to a certain extent -- 2air, I absolutely detest bossy old white men too. But it's not just the WBCCI -- maybe society in general, and rallies in particular, ain't for the Chief. I've been to three forum rallies & been bored stiff at each one -- when I wasn't actively offended by my fellow campers. But I didn't feel a need to start a thread to discuss my disappointment.

So OK, you HATE THE WB-whatever. Trust me -- people in campgrounds the world over can be old, stodgy, pudgy & overly focused on the rules. One rally I was at left me dizzy among everyone's focus on communal dinners & picnic-table-moving & cooking & cleaning & tank-dumping & site complaints.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Hey Brother!!!,

I haven't been to a WBCCI rally nor am I a member. Like you, I have been to a Forums rally and I was quite impressed with the event. All of the people there were great, compassionate and made you feel right at home, with a Corona in hand!!!

Heck, I didn't even have my A/S with me when I went to the rally. I ended up pitching a tent and named it "Fort Schmock" Everyone got a kick out of it.

I do agree with you that organizations such as the WBCCI need to account for everyone that is a member. There is an ever growing younger generation that we can not forget about.

Hope to meet you at one of the forum rallies!!! You'll always find a beer or some other tasty beverage in my Airstream!!!

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
Old 10-14-2009, 04:59 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I have been wondering about the WBCCI - I have contacted my somewhat local unit - questioned them about dues - received a little information and then they wanted my location and phone number and said they would have someone local contact me. I gave them the information and it has been awhile and nothing. I quess there are no local people so no more contact. Hum - do I really need them - No. So far I have not been to any rallies - Have been either too late to sign up or they are too far away. I hope next year I can get things going in the right direction. I look forward to my first personal contact with the people that frequent this forum. I would like my first rally to be close to home and then go futher away. My girfriend has a 7 day a week job (she has to schedule her time off a couple months in advance). I work 5 days a week at one job and the rest at my small ranch (but I can take off in a moments notice). But, I still want to travel next year. We have had our TT about 6 months and have gone out 3 times to the lake. We both loved it - I have to fiqure out a way to take some kind of boat though.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
Old 10-14-2009, 05:14 AM   #16
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Too bad you're so far from NY, at our rally's the age runs from kids to folks in their early 80's.

The majority are baby boomer's, we do party.

Now I am aware of the Lawrence Welk deal I coined it.

Since you are located in the Fl panhandle I assume you went to the Pensacola unit.

It's a nice basic layout, the age is above us a bit but they are nice folks.

They roll up the sidewalks early but hey that's them, its your choice to find a unit you like, there r great units out there.

Search or stick your head in the sand.

Don't go to the International or the Fl State rally in Feb you will not like it.

The Ancients are an issue they will not step aside and let new blood run this club.

There is a group trying but we have to wait for them to pass on.

Future generations bring change

Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #17
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Our experience was some really nice folks!!
But, the structure was smothering. We showed up at our first rally after work at 8pm.
Plenty of time to get a spot and set up. Well, come to find out, nothing functions after 4pm. I was told something about a "bull-pen." What's that I thought.
So, trying to find a spot to set up next to other ASers we were literally screamed at. Nice first rally welcome.
I also got dressed down for forgetting to wear a name tag.
Thought a 6 pm cocktail group and dinner at 7 pm might be nice, but, everyone eats at 5pm.
Our standards now are 30 amp electric, water, and either sewer, or, a readily available dump site where I can take the honey-wagon every day. None of this weak rally electric. Have lots of conveniences to run.
We'll go again to a rally as we enjoyed many of the members. Perhaps the WBCCI might schedule one that manages each day spontaneously, rather than on military precision.

Tom W
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The club is structured to provide the most benefits to the people who use their trailers most. At the International level, (where most of your $55 dues go) the club provides low cost caravans with durations from 8 days to 64 days. Clearly not for the hard working class. It also provides special event rallies at various places in the US, which may require considerable travel. Working people in the area might find them interesting but they usually span a number of days during the working week. The Region rallies are also held for almost a working week.

The young people, that have to work for a living, may fine a local "unit" that meets their weekend needs, but that is what your local $10 to $20 dues supports. Some of the drinking rules are the result of some older more religious types that may be present and may be the majority of a particular local club. The no alcohol ban at a particular rally could be caused by the rules of the state park the rally is being held in.

No club can be structured to meet everyone's desires. Good Sam and Escapees are also available to all. Their local chapters also vary considerable, due to the personalities and interests of the people who are in the majority at that particular chapter. The insurance provided by WBCC International just protects the local leaders from law suites. It is not intended to protect the individual. Without it, no one would step forward to run a rally in this lawyer crazed society.

The original poster should look around for a RV club that meets his particular desires. Starting threads about his personal opinion of how a particular local club does or does not met his needs does little to help the rest of us to enjoy or add to our RV experiences.

Dwight Dixon Camper for 55 years, Airstreamer for 23 years and member of WBCCI for 15 years.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

'Splain to me why someone who lives in Florida has to join a unit in DC to have fun with his Stream. Shouldn't ALL units be fun units?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 AM   #20
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
I would guess, without even putting much thought into it, that the odds of "finding" a fuddy duddy unit in your local are pretty good, after all, it's in an area vastly populated by older people, so seems that most groups, clubs, etc in the area, that are adult groups are going to be .. older..

Just like most of the respondents.. sorry you had a "bad" experience, and it seems that that unit may be a bad fit for you, but there are many who have not had that problem. It's an international club, and every unit is going to be different. Any organization of it's size is going to have that.

Heck you should hear myself and a buddy talk about our Scouting experiences from decades ago, he was in NY, I in CA.. both in the same BSA.. but my group was WAY "better" then his, but his was way "bigger". He dropped out because they didn't do the part of scouting he was interested in, had he been in my council he would probably be an eagle scout. Had I been in his, I would have dropped out.

All I guess I can really say is good luck, and hope that, if you do wish to belong to a group of people that camp, that you find them. I think we joined mostly for the chance to meet and hang out with people interested in AS's. We really didn't need camping partners, but our unit seems pretty good for it's size and age.

RC:
'Splain to me why someone who lives in Florida has to join a unit in DC to have fun with his Stream. Shouldn't ALL units be fun units?

no one has to join a unit 4 states away to have fun with their Stream, but it is understandable, at least to me, that someone may have to search around to find a unit that "fits" for them, since the make up, on many levels, will be different in every unit. Just the way the world works. We have been in all kinds of clubs, many national, and that's seems to be the way it works for all of them. It's why, in say, Louisville, there are 4 different Mustang clubs.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Closed Thread