Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Dad View Post
Ahhh.. so you had an agenda to sway others on their ideas and thoughts to your way of thinking..
DD,

You are mistaken about my agenda......if, I really had one. My comment about "changing hearts and minds" refers to making WBCCI aware of why membership may be declining......which, apparently is like beating a dead horse. I'm not sure why I even cared.....other than the fact that it may be something worth saving.

I have tried to be honest, and precise with my postings.....but, being human, may sometimes misspeak.....but, please don't read more into it.

And, 62Overlander.....it may not be next month, but the thread title "Whatever Happened to the WBCCI" will probably appear in the not-to-distant future.

My GAF Meter is currently sitting at about -10.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 10-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #82
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Hey Chief, when you piss in the wind, it is a good idea to know which way the wind is blowing.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Man, I wish I was on that beach right now...instead, I'm stuck in the butthole of Texas, in a windowless building with the A/C cranking at 59*. That picture brings back good memories of July 4th at Coos Bay.
Stingray,

I know this is off topic, but since I spent 30 yrs. in AF Intelligence......I understand your feelings about San Angelo. Fortunately, I went through the school went it was at Lowry AFB (Denver). But, heh, you do have great steaks there!

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 10-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Wally just wouldn't like the negative people. He just wouldn't. He was a very positive person, and would find a way to make something better.
Dale, sorry to say, but neither Wally nor Helen are here to "make something better."

Some may say that the folks that are being critical are pulling down the club, but I say that they are the courageous ones... willing to speak up about a segment of the membership that are being ignored.

A group of us are hosting an event next summer for the purpose of demonstrating what we expect from "our" club. Calling it negative... or positive depends on your point of view.

I have no doubt that Wally and Helen would have not allowed the club to become what it has, but it is what it is... two clubs.

No shame in that... but it is unfortunate.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #85
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Of course we can......now that I know you're a gal. More pics please.....and what was Joe talking about with the tight halter, whatever? Inquisitive minds want to know.
This?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image01616.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	89028  
Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Oh Summerkid - is that your way of elinimating the scratching of a clothing tag? I usually try to just remove the tag - but removing the top portion of the shirt is definately easier!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I cannot help but wonder how much longer Airstream is going to continue to support the WBCCI. They have a very large number of new customers who are not able to find a way to participate in an Airstream supported club that operates in a fashion that fits their lifestyle.

Ah yes, it's their lifestyle that's the problem and not the club.
I have often wondered the same thing... just look at the ways in which Airstream Inc. markets their product and how "out of the step" the club is with that marketing approach.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #88

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
This?

Gives new meaning to the phrase "Get you head out of your*&#*"

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 10-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #89
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Just a friendly reminder to keep this thread respectful and refrain from name calling or insulting comments.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Oh Summerkid - is that your way of elinimating the scratching of a clothing tag? I usually try to just remove the tag - but removing the top portion of the shirt is definately easier!
As I see it... that piece of clothing did not start out as a "shirt".... nor as any kind of "womens" clothing.

take a closer look...
Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Lightbulb

What's happened to the WBCCI isn't really any different than what has happened to thousands of clubs and social organizations. The curious reader might try, "Bowling Alone." I've seen the same thing happen locally. After something like 80 years, the local Woman's Club folded. Several years ago, I spoke at a Rotary Club meeting where the average age had to be 85. The group dissolved after the last few members either died or moved into assisted living.

The WBCCI is old, shrinking and losing money. Some of the area units are doing well. Some are not. The more successful units generally have moved beyond the "starched shirt with a name tag" approach. Many Airstream owners would like to have a successful, growing, unified club... but few see any solution to the ever increasing cultural divide between the units and the International.

On a side note, I don't really get the whole Wally Byam thing. To me, it's little like have a Lee Iaccoca Chrysler Club... but this is probably another cultural divide issue. Some Airstream owners revere Wally Byam... to others, he's just the guy who ran the company that built a pretty cool travel trailer.

Cultural shifts don't happen because people change. They happen because people die... and that is not necessarily a bad thing. Racism and sexism are less prevelant in modern American society because older, less tolerant generations have passed away. Please understand that I'm not judging. Slavery existed in the United States until 1865. Jim Crow laws existed until the 1960s. It is easy to look back from 2009 and say, "I would have marched from Selma to Montgomery." Personally, I think we're all more or less influenced by our times and culture. I had the opportunity to discuss this once with author Kurt Vonnegut... a truly memorable conversation.

The WBCCI isn't going to change... because if it changed it would NOT be the WBCCI, at least not to those long-time members who believe it is red numbers, name tags and just-one-doughnut-at-a-time, please. This is not meant to be pejorative in any way. My 87-year-old grandmother has different musical tastes than I do. She also has some other, mmmm, viewpoints... but that doesn't prevent me from caring about her or thinking she is a wonderful person. She is--like all of us--a product of her time.

The simple fact is that if the WBCCI is around in 20 years... it won't the same organization as it is today. The real question is not for observers, but for members. Are they willing to embrace change for the sake of the organization surviving... or would they rather see the club end before it becomes something different? What strikes me as a student of human experience is how change is so often more difficult than death.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #92
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Between the 3 threads on this simultaneously, I don't remember what I wrote on which one. I think (among others) Hampstead and Chief have posted some insightful thoughts. Summerkid's experience at a church was an excellent analogy, though I'm wondering how she got from living along a river in Illinois with unusual neighbors to living near the Oregon coast (it's like a soap opera—will 'kid and Dave ever get together? Will she post revealing photos?).

I wrote on one of these threads, pretty much the same thing—let's move on. WBCCI may change, I'm not waiting nor have do I time to try to change it. The Forum meets my needs and has plenty of rallies, probably run by crazed people without name tags. We can each go our own ways.

Gene
Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
As I see it... that piece of clothing did not start out as a "shirt".... nor as any kind of "womens" clothing.

take a closer look...

Ohhhhhhhh, NOW i see ............

Somehow I thought it was a running shirt ...
Old 10-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Hey There,
I had a similat experience some time ago. We were invited to a local rally, but we couldn't attend with our Airstream, so my wife and I drove to the campground on a Saturday afternoon for a " Meet & Greet". Arrived approx 1:PM and found the Airstreams and nobody was around. They were inside taking naps. Finally they aroused and we sat around at a picnic table and all my wife and I heard were talks about health and knee replacements. We couldn't get out of there quick enough. Luckily, we didn't put the red letters on our unit. Had a tough time getting used to those " Hats "
If I am still around at 75+, I will probably try again.
What a Hoot.
Bob

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #95
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, I see you are two days younger than me and since I am your elder, let me tell you about my knees and my medigap plan…

Gene
Old 10-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #96
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Man, I wish I was on that beach right now...instead, I'm stuck in the butthole of Texas, in a windowless building with the A/C cranking at 59*.
You're working in Wichita Falls today?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The people in the WBBCI are too old for me and will be when I'm 110 years old. Another era completely and one that I can't remotely relate to. We joined and quit after two meetings. More power to anyone under 80 that wants to join this archic club. I'd rather watch paint dry or mabe have my toe nails pulled out. Far less painfull than any WBCCI get together.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Spreading shame around is exactly opposite to being positive.

Gene
You are absolutely Right.
My motto is:
"Just say NO to negativity"

Ken
Old 10-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I am still thinking about joining - just not the local unit.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
Old 10-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #100
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Wbcci

Here is what I did when I was looking for one.
WBCCI Finally Decided To Join

It really helps when you know people who are in the unit also.I believe it can make a person feel more welcomed in.

Closed Thread