Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
WBCCI reminds me of what's happening with the government and AIG. You can't pay the same people who created the mess to fix it and be stupid enough to allow them to keep their jobs and pay them bonuses. They'll agree to make changes and then it's business as usual . They don't know anything else. I don't think anyone actually believes either AIG or WBCCI is going to change in any real way. What's really needed is a new club and I'm sure someday someone will start one.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #212
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
We joined the WBCCI about 5 years ago when we originally bought our first trailer. I loved the idea of attending functions with other folks that were passionate about the Airstream brand. We joined a unit based on our geographic location, went to a "luncheon", and quickly decided that it was not for us. No hard feelings, just not our cup of tea. We used the trailer to camp, and eventually sold the trailer a few years later when we decided to do other things.

Aluminitis acted up again a few years ago, and we ended up buying a trailer to restore. I was lucky enough to be friends with Rob Baker from way back, he introduced me to Frank Yensan, and because of those guys I decided to give the WBCCI another shot, this time with the WDCU. Laurie and I have met so many wonderful people through this club that we cannot imagine not being a part of it. Sure, the WBCCI has it's many faults, but the positives far outweigh the negatives for us. The club will change in the future. One look at the membership numbers and financial reports tell me that it must change. We intend to be a part of that change, and if it takes 20 years to effect that change, so be it. We'll be 60 years old then and probably looking at actual caravans, maybe even planning on joining a few. Once the majority of club members feel that they are getting value for their dues, membership numbers will stop dropping off. Once those same satisfied club members tell their friends how much fun the WBCCI is, the membership numbers will climb.

The first step towards increasing the perception of value is to completely revamp the Blue Beret. For many, it is their only contact with the club. Turn it into a real magazine, a magazine worth reading. Have it come to our mailboxes monthly, or every other month. It is not too expensive, especially if the club stops losing money hand over fist with their very poor management. Losing tens of thousands of dollars hosting an "International Rally" is simply rediculous, especially when the rank and file members who attend can do nothing but complain about the actual rally for months afterward. Perception of value. That's the name of the game.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #213
_

. , .
good post carol, you wandering mal-feas-ant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
...There was a thread about why did you leave...
not sure if this is the 1 2 which u refer C...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ack-33989.html

but past/former and current members who TRIED to explain or express a view on 'leaving' had their 'views' minimized there too.

there was a poll tied to the name change nonsense about leaving too..

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ave-30841.html

and a brouhaha about former members squatting at wb' events

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ies-46503.html

one thing is clear THIS FORUM allows a LOT of stuff to be expressed and AIRED about the dinosaur club...

THIS FORUM has provided FREE webspace and support of wb' units and their websites...

and THIS FORUM has allowed wb'er to promote their rallez and dreamy unit experiences,

Unfettered and ad nauseam, often scabbing from forum events to self promote wb stuff.

and allthewhile lambasting ne1 who reports or posts UNpleasant wb event experiences.

while the wbz OWN website won't allow much about this place or legitimate club issues 2b posted by PAID members...

and the wb bobbleheads continue to think THIS PLACE is the issue???

get a CLUE folks.

for a LOT of former members & 'stream owners, in fact 100s upon 1000s, the wb' is irrelevant.

i say let them eat their young, sink or swim, pound their chests and be UNhappy or happy.

and now that the clubz money is shriveling as fast as the members, it won't be long.

the smoke screen to 'find a unit that u like, yadda yadda or BE the change ...

totally ignores the reality that MOST new members opt for unit #000.

OR join JUST 2 GET THE RED NUMBERS!

yes it's true the red numbers entice more to join than ANY thing else the club offers.

not many will PAY 2 JOIN a club that needs a major overhaul..

only 2 b told IF ya wanna good club experience MAKE IT YOURSELF!

but give your money to the home office...?

and the powerz that be, HATE that mals wanna unit, wanna be free, think free or would like to try a 'cyberspace unit'.

so they JACKED up the price for these folks and HOPE to do away with the 'at large' faction...

the fee increase sure worked 4 me!

viva la liberation!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Wally had a concept, and that's why we're here...he didn't have a dictum, just a concept...camp, enjoy the fire, work together with problems, and experience...my view , anyway, and it's the only one that matters to me...it's a fine trailer, the rest is semantics...hey, is anyone considering coming to Quartzsite for Thanksgiving...???we'll have a rally(free) that should represent real hospitality...4CU throws a great rally, and all that stuffed shirt stuff...well...it just doesn't happen...it does help to bring firewood and a Hawaian shirt...anything flamingo is good...actually, anything ya wanna bring is just fine...not to change the direction, but tempers seem to be elevating, and I'm past ready to camp...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:02 AM   #215
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

one thing is clear THIS FORUM allows a LOT of stuff to be expressed and AIRED about the dinosaur club...

THIS FORUM has provided FREE webspace and support of wb' units and their websites...

and THIS FORUM has allowed wb'er to promote their rallez and dreamy unit experiences,

Unfettered and ad nauseam

and now that the clubz money is shriveling as fast as the members, it won't be long.

cheers
2air'
Ouch Baby!
Shriveling members....time to start upping the sunscreen SPF applications. Or is this like shrinking, which is not much better? Individually or as a group? Anyway it does not sound good.

I do like catching the rally promotions here on the forums and am glad Club members in the know use this to get the message out. The club itself is getting better at advertising upcoming rallies but still it is up to us to search out events.

TCT, Vintage, JAMS, DINOclub, it's all good. Unless it's not. Been to both kinds.

This must be painful for non members when a particuliarly dreamy rally appears on the forums. They must wait sometimes months to see the follow up thread and photos all the while hoping there was five inches of rain, snow or an attack of red ants that ruined the weekend. I know I do this for the rallies I cannot make it to.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #216
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
What's bugging you...?

Ya know, a little Comet under the perimeter of yer outside rug will keep the critters away...if it doesn't, ya probably oughta park somewhere else, or get a bigger Cometm
Old 10-19-2009, 01:34 AM   #217
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
so ... bored ...

Don't make me post details of Friday's blind date, which accidentally meandered on for 12 hours & crossed state lines (Not to worry, I had a really good time! I hope he calls me again!).
Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #218
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
How could he NOT call...you could be wearing HIS underwear...what color are his...?m
oh darn!!!i'm gonna get edited, again...answer quick...
Old 10-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #219
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Leo - I agree!

Less is more when it comes to our annual dues... it's the only way... and I "know" what I get for my dues, but that's because I participate... but we could get SO MUCH MORE!

So, I'm coming to that Pocono Rally - it's gonna be a GREAT one!! But, if you're still on the fence, join, and come to our 1st annual WBBB -

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...=birthday+bash

I promise you it will be FUN! If you are one with a negative opinion, that opinion will change if you put forth the effort and come and see for yourself.

See ya down the road!

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #220
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I agree with everything you say Leo and if it did not cost extra for the international part of the dues just to be listed and get a BB then I would and could wait forever and care less what they decide to do at the top.

However the BIG BUT is how long and how many will keep giving the International club $55-$75.00 or more to be with their friends at the $1-$15 unit dues level when a lot of those rallies are hospitable enough to be buddy rallies anyway. Members are paying for the right to be a member and to fund the leadership.

Basically everyone's idea to pay them no mind and enjoy their unit and pay them all their ransom gives them license to continue to spend irresponsibly and even raise the dues knowing there is a core group that will pay any price to be with their friends and part of the club. They are blessed with members who state that over and over again. Why should they worry? They have all the power and all the money and all that loyalty. They are tapping out many of the membership and prospective members and pricing them out of the international rally to spread all that good will to host cities but no good will to their own members.

photography
Old 10-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #221
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
You hit the nail on the head Carol. Members are FUNDING the leadership. I pretty much know that for fact. When I was told by a local Unit president that their TRIP to BOZEMAN Cost them nothing.
That's excatly why, They will never get any of my hard earned dollars. IT is my belief that everyone needs pay their fair share and you should not be free because you were a P or VP last yr or 14 yrs ago. That was then and now is now. Live in the NOW too many members are living in WHAT USE TO BE and need to be living in TODAY.
I don't have time to wait for a new club to be formed,I will not live that long. The members are great, we have camped with some of them.BESTIST people one would ever wanna meet. Oh I have been denied membership.Whats that tell ya.
I think AIRFORUMS is the place to be for us. I have big blue numbers on my trailer LOOK JUST AS GOOD as RED.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #222
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
When I was told by a local Unit president that their TRIP to BOZEMAN Cost them nothing.
Roger,

Unit President's mileage is not covered.. I wish it was! Actually, as a Unit President, the only thing given is a dinner.. which I boycotted out of frustration to the cost and that my fellow unit members could not attend...

Wish you'd join so that you could join us at the WBBB!

Rob
Your cousin
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #223
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
We've been members for a couple of years, and I do have some thoughts.

I'm Positive that after wearing a badge with my name on it during the week, I only wear one on weekends under duress. I'll do it occasionally, but it makes me feel like I'm still at work. That detracts significantly from the weekend.

I'm sympathetic with PeeWee's perspective, but I'm also positive that nothing remains constant. The club cannot be what it was; it must become what it will be. What it will be - should it survive the current administrative cycle - will reflect the desires of the next generation of members. This means, quite clearly, a much less centralized, much more tightly networked organization. The days of a few individuals being able to control all of the press about an organization are gone, and we're only seeing smoke and echoes of a dying methodology in the message board controversies.
Unfortunately I do not see how a new leadership approach is possible with the current selection/nomination process. I am profoundly disappointed in how nominations and elections are handled, and although I don't think it's hopeless, I do get a Louis XV sense: "Après moi, le déluge" (after me, the flood*). One hopes the transition will be smooth and the current club can persevere. It may not, and that would be a shame.

*from a wetlands site: "epitomise[s] the psychology of those who ruin people and the earth with no thought for tomorrow"
Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #224
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post

But they won't end their Grand North American Tours -- those will be funded until the very last dime is pulled from the till.

__
Leo what do you mean the leadership is paid to travel.

How much money do they get inquiring minds want to know.

Closed Thread