Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
I refrained from posting here until I saw where it would go. I have to say it has gone in every direction. Pretty good dialogue from all points of view, even the wabbit. I note as I write this that 2 mods are keeping an eye on this thread too. Seems ole Chief got everyone involved, thinking and talking. I have to say that my limited exposure to the WBCCI has been through some of its members at the Can Opener rallies. All were good. There does not appear to be an active chapter in Memphis (I do think they have a lunch every now and then) so my ability to get on this wagon is limited. Joining the WDCU or 4CU doesn't make much sense because of my location and finite number of vacation days each year. Chief's discussion is about his experience. There are many other discussions on this Forum about good and bad experiences as well as the pros and cons of the WBCCI proper. Chief gave it a shot and decided it wasn't for him. Frankly, I thought long and hard before attending the first Can Opener, mostly because of I was afraid of driving 8 hours and then not having a good time. I will attend my 4th in January. Obviously I continue to have a good time and have met some really fine folks. Until there is an active,camping chapter in my area, I'll just enjoy the good company of Forum members and hope that the WBCCI survives. What it has to do to survive has been discussed here many times so I'll leave that to others that are members. Chief, thanks for the discussion.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Which means that I probably shouldn't post a thread entitled "Firearms - Why One Man Thinks every Airstream should come equipped with one."
Chief
Chief please don't let the nay sayers from Taxachusetts dissuade you. I would such start the tread but will yield to a better writer to get it started.

If nothing else I think we could overload the server with that one.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #157
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
HEY!! Don't you be dissin' my homeland, now!!!

Not to hijack, but that right there is a real miscarriage of justice, for us to get such a bad rap on the tax thing. The reality is that we're very "middle of the road" in terms of total tax burden. Lots of other states have it much worse. New Jersey is the first one that comes to mind...(a-hem) followed closely by NY. But there's no way to make a cutesy alliteration from the names of those great states...so WE get stuck with this totally undeserved rep.

Anyway...In all seriousness, I'm sure any mod that saw the Chief's taunting little quip on his thoughts on future thread subjects had the same exact reaction, regardless of their location. "NOoooo!!! NOT THAT!!!!!! PLEEeeeeze!!!"
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 10-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Hijackapalooza

Oh no, a taxing turn to the right, then a turn to the middle (or was it left?).

Gene
Old 10-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #159
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
HEY!! Don't you be dissin' my homeland, now!!!
Would you rather we dissed your avatar?
Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #160
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Would you rather we dissed your avatar?
(been meaning to fix that, but yeah, go right ahead. I've been doing plenty of it, myself. )
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 10-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Soooooooo, this thread definately sparked a positive action: it reminded me to support this forum and get my AIR sticker!!!

Laura
Old 10-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
During the week I was in Jackson Center, last month, I met Sue Dooley. Great marketing manager, great person, and given the task to keep the icon alive. So all and all, if you haven't met her and haven't talked with her, don't second guess the future.
Good for you, PeeWee! I didn't have the pleasure of meeting her, but I did meet the person she replaced. He, also, was a pleasant conversationalist, and I'm optimistic that he was just as qualified, but he didn't have any prior experience with Airstreams either. By the way, my comment was made somewhat in jest. I offer my sincere apologies if you couldn't wrap your beret around that.

"Great marketing manager"...??

A bit premature? Based solely on her involvement in, and its the value (to me), of the Victorinox Swiss Army Airstream, I'd say she doesn't have much to offer to date. I would much prefer Airstream try to find someone who lives and breathes the product (like some of their current employees I have met, or you), rather than someone who has an impressive resume in brand name marketing.

While I have a tremendous respect for your relation and dedication to Wally Byam, his club, and Airstream, I actually own a vintage trailer, and paid good money for a new one. Until Airstream, at least, attempts to seriously address what I consider to be an SOB quality trailer masquerading in a beautiful aluminum skin, I feel qualified to give an opinion. And, with all due respect to your encouragement to do otherwise, I will continue to speak freely about the product.

To date, I've been as objective, constructive, and as tactful as possible when addressing my issues with Airstream (the corporation). Perhaps it's time to tell people what I really think.

Not to worry, I still remain a devotee of the icon, and member of WBCCI, and am always on the lookout for another vintage trailer. I also look forward to meeting you again at another rally where you can continue to regale us with your tales of Africa, and the history of Airstream.
WDCU
Old 10-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #163
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Chief;
We decided the same thing, and are going to be going solo. I'm a retired USAF Chaplain, and it is likely the chapters are a lot like some church groups. Each has a unique personality--some are super, some are sorry. Guess it depends a lot on what you run into out there.

Thanks for serving our country, Chief! Here's to a better experience somewhere down the line--we'd be lucky to know you!

Dennis and Luanne Lovin
Huntsville
Old 10-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #164

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1962 19' Globetrotter
Colden , New York
I am A WBCCI MEMBER .I agree there is change that needs to be done. People need to step up and take the bull by the horns and make change happpen. I m 46 and i have gotten involved with our chapter and i m hoping other younger pepole will too. It so easy to put the blamd on others but we should be looking to see what we can do to make it change. THIS IS OUR AIRSTREAM CLUB AND EVENTS . Dont let the old stick in the mud ways ruin our club . It just like a vintage trailer it time to retsore a gem in the ruff and make this club a gem again

Tye Mott
07 25'safari
62 globe trotter
Old 10-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #165
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeair View Post
I am A WBCCI MEMBER .I agree there is change that needs to be done. People need to step up and take the bull by the horns and make change happpen. I m 46 and i have gotten involved with our chapter and i m hoping other younger pepole will too. It so easy to put the blamd on others but we should be looking to see what we can do to make it change. THIS IS OUR AIRSTREAM CLUB AND EVENTS . Dont let the old stick in the mud ways ruin our club . It just like a vintage trailer it time to retsore a gem in the ruff and make this club a gem again

Tye Mott
07 25'safari
62 globe trotter
Tye,

Welcome aboard, nice first post, Keep tha poz' tude.

Stream Safe...

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 10-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
A "great marketing manager" for a company with QC problems is like a great set of hubcaps on a car that doesn't run.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeair View Post

Tye Mott
07 25'safari
62 globe trotter
Good attitude, just watch those horns...

photography
Old 10-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #168
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Tye's Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Good attitude, just watch those horns...
There is no doubt that Tye is responsible and understands the WBCCI. He sees the good, understands the problems, and wants to work to make a difference.

This is our kind of family!