Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
WBCCI numbers for 'Legacy' trailers

As some of you may know I now have a 62 Ambassador that was on the WBCCI 63-64 Round the World Caravan along with about 6 other international caravans in the 60s.

I have had discussions with several Airstream friends who, like me, feel that some provision should be made for maintaining the WBCCI # for these "legacy" trailers. In other words for those few trailers which play a part in Airstream history provision should be made for the red numbers to be reserved for that coach and not follow the owner or an individual.

From the limited research I have done on this subject, at present no provision, aside from a separate membership, (if you have more than one Airstream you want to have numbered separately)exists.

WBCCI headquarters suggested I contact my Regional President (Region 11) and have this brought up at the IBT.

I want to see what others think about this idea.

Also, anybody know how to contact the Region 11 president? (can't seem to do it throught the Region 11 website).

Old 08-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hi, Marshall
We talked about the matter at RMVAC, and I certainly agree.

You think maybe that Janie Lichtfuss might be the person to contact about it? PM me for her email address.

Lynn

PS: I assume that you folks made it back from Idaho!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Our's hasn't participated in anything historic, but when we got her the numbers were there. Because they had not been renewed for 2 renewal periods, we were able to keep the numbers when we joined.

If you know the numbers you want, check with headquarters. They may be available.

I can actually see it either way; with the numbers belonging to the trailer or the member. I guess it's the way it is now for when trailers get sold to non-members.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Numbers Should be issued only if available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
As some of you may know I now have a 62 Ambassador that was on the WBCCI 63-64 Round the World Caravan along with about 6 other international caravans in the 60s.

I have had discussions with several Airstream friends who, like me, feel that some provision should be made for maintaining the WBCCI # for these "legacy" trailers. In other words for those few trailers which play a part in Airstream history provision should be made for the red numbers to be reserved for that coach and not follow the owner or an individual.

From the limited research I have done on this subject, at present no provision, aside from a separate membership, (if you have more than one Airstream you want to have numbered separately)exists.

WBCCI headquarters suggested I contact my Regional President (Region 11) and have this brought up at the IBT.

I want to see what others think about this idea.

Also, anybody know how to contact the Region 11 president? (can't seem to do it throught the Region 11 website).
Years ago I owned Wally's Gold Trailer. My trailer number, the same as my Mother's, was number 2.

I decided to leave Wally's number 1 on the trailer because of the historical value. I knew who number 1 was, that was Wally. I also felt that I was only a caretaker of the Gold Trailer.

I received a letter from WBCCI that I had to take the number 1 off and replace it with number 2. I didn't. But I sold the trailer a few months later.

My spin on later numbers is use them if they are open if not apply for a new one.

There are only a few Airstreams that have been manufactured that have the status of the "hold grail." Certainly Wally's Gold trailer is in this category. It is being rebuilt in Jackson Center, and is of historic value and is not being used as a club member's trailer.

Dale
Old 08-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The numbers are still available, and I understand I can have them assigned if I take out a second membership. There are 2 reasons I hesitate to take out a second membership. Firstly the extra expense, secondly I don't plan to have 6472 ready to go on the road for at least several years.

I guess what I am proposing is twofold. I think a procedure for having a historical number on a trailer with agreed significant history would be appropriate. Second, that a procedure be established for numbers being retired except for use on a very limited number of trailers with history that is significant to the Aistream community as a whole. I would like to have my cake and eat it too, and don't want too give up my too cool current number 12121

I guess I always could use my current numbers on this trailer, but having the old numbers is a win/win.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I guess what I am proposing is twofold. I think a procedure for having a historical number on a trailer with agreed significant history would be appropriate. Second, that a procedure be established for numbers being retired except for use on a very limited number of trailers with history that is significant to the Aistream community as a whole. win.
Good luck with that... Keep in mind that the number goes with the member and not the trailer, so unless you are the person that went on the caravan then why should the club rules "save" the number for you? (playing devil's advocate here)

Consider yourself lucky that the number is available and spend the $ to get it.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Graham , North Carolina
there should always be allowances for the historical, whether it be old fire truck, a MG TD or a proven historic airstream

wear it out, don't rust it out

Jerry
jpeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Good luck with that... Keep in mind that the number goes with the member and not the trailer, so unless you are the person that went on the caravan then why should the club rules "save" the number for you? (playing devil's advocate here)

Consider yourself lucky that the number is available and spend the $ to get it.
Respectfully, the point I was trying to make was for trailers with documented historical value a policy that the number should be saved for the trailer, not for the member would be good for the club and the member, for example Pee Wee's trailer above. Just an idea. The number on my 62 which went on Alaska, Canada, and Mexico caravans as well as "Round the World" during 63-64 was 6472. That this is the same trailer is well documented in photographs, film and records of the 63-64 caravan. One photo which was given me was of 6472 parked outside the Kremlin.

It appears to be a moot point as WBCCI headquarters suggested I contact the regional president to bring the idea up at the IBT, which I did, and have not recieved a response.

I realize that it is a WBCCI decision and there are pros and cons on both sides of the fence. My thought is a policy of retired numbers for certain trailers would be of benefit to the WBBCI and the lucky member who has one of these "Legacy" trailers. Short of a formal policy on retired numbers if it is not important enough for the WBCCI to waive the 2nd membership fee for an addtional trailer which may fall into this category, and the member already is a dues paying member, then it is not important enough to me to pay for a second membership. Personally if I ever get rid of 6472 I would be gratified if that number went with it.

Now I could switch my current number to 6472 and use it on both my trailers and not pay for a second membership, but my current number has a connection to the original owner of this trailer and is unique so I choose not to do that either. The original WBBCI number on my 71 was 21212. That was not available, so I got 12121. Nothing particularly historic about this trailer. I just like the number and want to keep it for now.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	67633
How about doing something like this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2876.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	67632
or this?
Personally , if I was to see 6472 on a trailer, I would not know anything was different from say, my number 7183. However lettering it this way would give it the credit it truly deserves. I admire your respect for the history of this particular trailer. I think it is wonderful you are preserving it's legacy for the club. I have lettered my trailer in the spirit of the way they use to do it. You can view that here... Anna Lumanum: Anna got new some new bling from Daddy. This might be a way to do the justice you want. It was the member of the club that owned 6472, not the trailer. You could even put " taken around the world by the ______s #6472." in the lettering. If you need any help with the layout please do not hesitate and contact me. I had to do it a few times before I was able to get the size of the lettering right.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Attachment 67633
lettering it this way would give it the credit it truly deserves. .....You could even put " taken around the world by the ______s #6472." in the lettering.
I like the past practice of listing places the trailer has been. I like your second suggestion even better. I'm still finishing up the 71 Tradewind and have not even begun to work on the 62 Ambassador, so I have plenty of time to digest my plans.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I also had wanted to say congratulations on the finest year ever... Wally tweeked that on during all those caravans for sure. I think you will be very surprised by it's functionality.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
My 59 had a three number number. These are now "reserved" for the big shots. I will however repaint them on my trailer after it is all done and buffed out. It also has ghosts of Caravan stickers. I have not researched photos to find 768 but hope to do so. Just for my own amusement. Doesn't really matter if others know the significance when we go on the road, the trailer will sure be happy to be back out there.
The interesting part was at one of my first rallies I asked the then International Treasurer how I could get the number, he told me to call the home office. I could have saved me the trouble.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
My 59 had a three number number. These are now "reserved" for the big shots. I will however repaint them on my trailer after it is all done and buffed out. It also has ghosts of Caravan stickers. I have not researched photos to find 768 but hope to do so. Just for my own amusement. Doesn't really matter if others know the significance when we go on the road, the trailer will sure be happy to be back out there.
The interesting part was at one of my first rallies I asked the then International Treasurer how I could get the number, he told me to call the home office. I could have saved me the trouble.
#768 was on the 1957 Mexico Caravan:
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...co57roster.pdf

Airstream rallies in the 1950's

ESPG Photo Album

But . . . it must have been with their previous trailer, because there would have been no 1959 Airstreams in 1957.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
This question has made it to Jerry Larson, IP. Take a look at his latest monthly status report: http://13panels.com/wp-content/uploa...-in-review.pdf

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote