Old 10-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
This question has made it to Jerry Larson, IP. Take a look at his latest monthly status report: http://13panels.com/wp-content/uploa...-in-review.pdf

Bill
I'm surprised. I had the impression that the word didn't get to anyone at club leadership level, or they had bigger fish to fry.

Synchronistically, yesterday the VP from the Arizona Unit stopped by on his way to the Region 11 IBT in Colorado. I gave him the tour and mentioned the idea to him.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
HI When I bought my airstream and had an AS dealer put the WB numbers on the frqnt and back windows on my 25 ft. Safari.THe reason was if I ever wanted to take off the numbers or someone else wanted to it wouldn't be a problem. I've seen old Wally B numbers that someone tried to take off. It was a mess really took off a lot of plast- coat. I was so glad my AS dealer CAN- AM RV had the foresight to put my numbers on the windows.So all these legacy numbers I think you better just leave them on. I don't see how you can remove them without hurting the finish. WB 7076 0n the windows!!!!!front and back

Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I'm interested in pushing this idea forward. My trailer was on the club caravans in the 60s/70s to Great Britain, Old World Europe, Alaska, and Caravan-Across-America. I must say, finding out information and photos from these historic caravans has been a dead end. I would have thought that the club would have photo albums of the caravans (digitally available would be too much to ask!), but I haven't been able to find anything.

When I was at the International in Bozeman I met with the club historian, and was amazed at the lack of materials available for review. When I was there, a very old member was donating her AS photo album to the club. It went into a box, and I doubt if any resources were dedicated to cataloging the history contained inside.

It amazes me that the club doesn't seem to be interested in fostering their own history, one of the main reasons that Airstream stands out as a brand.

The club could issue numbers (gold with a red outline) that would designate "legacy" trailers. That way, you could reissue the old numbers despite the fact that the old numbers might be on a newer trailer. Everyone would soon learn that the gold numbers were something special. In the directory, the number could be appended with an "L" to eliminate confusion.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think it is very cool that your trailers were part of club history, but it is not the trailer's numbers, it is the member's numbers. The numbers identify the owner towing the rig. I think the line is often blurred here. I left the 10183 on my end cap and put my numbers just above them. The folks that received those numbers originally went on one Canadian caravan and that was it. Wish it was a more glamorous caravan, but that was all they did.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	68930
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I think it is very cool that your trailers were part of club history, but it is not the trailer's numbers, it is the member's numbers. The numbers identify the owner towing the rig. I think the line is often blurred here. I left the 10183 on my end cap and put my numbers just above them. The folks that received those numbers originally went on one Canadian caravan and that was it. Wish it was a more glamorous caravan, but that was all they did.
Attachment 68930
You are absolutely right. To date the numbers follow the member and not the trailer. The idea that is being tossed around is a flip flop of that idea, for "legacy" numbers would follow the trailer as a little piece of history. It would only really have meaning within WBCCI. To Mr. RV Megabus or anyone else outside the club it would mean nothing. So why not? What does the WBCCI have to lose? If I put the old numbers 6472 on this coach it would not mean didly to anyone else besides myself and other WBCCI members. I'm purdy sure we are talking about a handful of trailers here. I'm sure most of the others are happily caravaning around with Wally up yonder.

I would like to add 6472 is currently available and I could fork over the extra 50 for a second membership and get the numbers. But on principle I object on the basis if if the issue is not important enough to WBCCI I should not have to put out the dough, small as it is. If the matter is not important enough to WBCCI to recognize the historic status of certain trailers, why should I as a member take it upon myself to do so. In fact doing so would I think serupticiously (sp?) circumvent the WBCCI's authority to make policy which I have no motivation to do. If I can badge my 62 as 6472 within my present membership I am happy to do so as a service to the club, Wally, and a tribute to the Ross's who took her around the world, Alaska, Canada and elsewhere. If not, I like the idea of painting the places 6472 has been, but for me 6472 belongs to this trailer.

But in the scheme of things I have more important things to worry and get upset about like who will be our president come Novemeber (don't get me started)

While I have the floor for a second I would like to mention the term "Legacy" trailer is not mine. The first I heard it was at the VAC rally in Salida this August. I kind of like it though. Rolls off the tongue better than "historic" or it's variations.

Maybe a less controversial idea will surface. I can live with that too. But I don't really want to pull something down the road that screams "look at me" either. If another idea comes to the fore, I do like the idea of anonyminity (sp?) outside of the club.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Historical Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman View Post
My trailer was on the club caravans in the 60s/70s to Great Britain, Old World Europe, Alaska, and Caravan-Across-America. I must say, finding out information and photos from these historic caravans has been a dead end. I would have thought that the club would have photo albums of the caravans (digitally available would be too much to ask!), but I haven't been able to find anything.

It amazes me that the club doesn't seem to be interested in fostering their own history, one of the main reasons that Airstream stands out as a brand.
At least the 63-64 Around the World Caravan is documented in the book "Thank you Marco Polo" by McGreggor Smith. I am now waiting for a copy on inter library loan. The book is out of print but you still can find copies, but they are not cheap. There is a copy now on ebay for $50, but I am going to pass.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Quote:
I think it is very cool that your trailers were part of club history, but it is not the trailer's numbers, it is the member's numbers. The numbers identify the owner towing the rig.
Attachment 68930
Since this is the case, then the club shouldn't reissue the numbers to a new trailer, they should retire them. I think that changing the policy to have the numbers follow the trailer VIN# would make more sense. Airstreams often outlive the owner.

Getting the old numbers off and new ones applied, poses additional problems.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
I think it is very cool that your trailers were part of club history, but it is not the trailer's numbers, it is the member's numbers. The numbers identify the owner towing the rig.
Quote:
Since this is the case, then the club shouldn't reissue the numbers to a new trailer, they should retire them. I think that changing the policy to have the numbers follow the trailer VIN# would make more sense. Airstreams often outlive the owner.
Key is... "the number stays as long as the owner pays" ...their annual membership fee that is.

If they were to "retire" numbers we would all have numbers so long they would extend half way around the trailer.

For someone who owns one of these legacy trailers, I would suggest contacting the current owner of the original number and see if an equitable transaction can be made to transfer the number.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Key is... "the number stays as long as the owner pays" ...their annual membership fee that is.

If they were to "retire" numbers we would all have numbers so long they would extend half way around the trailer.

For someone who owns one of these legacy trailers, I would suggest contacting the current owner of the original number and see if an equitable transaction can be made to transfer the number.
Not so. What is being bantied about is retiring numbers on a very small number of trailers that meet specific criteria, a veritable handful. Also with declining membership there is must be a surplus of unassigned old numbers.

The original numbers for my Ambassador are currently unassigned I can have them if I want to pay for a 2nd membership. Placing those numbers in reserve would be more of a benefit to the club than me. If the club does not feel this is an issue that is important enough to create policy I don't see any reason for me to be out in left field by myself. As I said in an earlier post I also feel this would be arrogant and presumptuous on my part amounting to usurping the club and creating my own policy. On the otherhand if the club does create policy concerning recognizing and preserving the history of Legacy triailers I ethtusiastically support it and will proundly badge my Ambassador 6772.

Just another point, I don't think the club should be able to dictate to the owner of a "Legacy" trailer they have to use the original numbers, only that they will be available only for that trailer if that is the owner's choice.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Before a lot more brainpower is spent on this thread, an exact definition for "legacy" needs to be drafted.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Blame the Margaritas, not me

Quote:
Before a lot more brainpower is spent on this thread, an exact definition for "legacy" needs to be drafted.
I agree, before this goes anywhere the term needs definition.

If the WBCCI decides the idea has merit which justifies creating a policy it should be the WBCCI and the VAC who defines the term. It could encompass early Airstreams, Airstreams owned by individuals who played a significant role in the club and Airstreams which participated in specific caravans which are emblematic of Wally's vision of the caravan experience. 2 such caravans which come to my mind are the 1959 Capetown to Cairo and 63 Around the World caravans. That's my 2 cents. Of course, there may be other criteria that should also be included.

This would need to involve a certification process in which an applicant is certifed by a statnding committee within the WBCCI or VAC

FYI
I don't know if this is an idea that has been tossed around before as I am a fairly new member. But, I believe I can pinpoint the exact moment when this current wave began. It was this summer at the RMVAC rally in Salida Colorado when a group of VAC members were standing around the Margarita machine doing nothing with great gusto. The fact that I, perhaps, have been more vocal on the subject in the Forums may have something to do with my abiding fondness for a good Margarita. You think?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Who is the person that has a record of WBCCI numbers on this forum. I can see the outlines of the old numbers on my trailer (13988) and am curious if these numbers are in the records and if who had the numbers.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I agree, before this goes anywhere the term needs definition.

If the WBCCI decides the idea has merit which justifies creating a policy it should be the WBCCI and the VAC who defines the term. It could encompass early Airstreams, Airstreams owned by individuals who played a significant role in the club and Airstreams which participated in specific caravans which are emblematic of Wally's vision of the caravan experience. 2 such caravans which come to my mind are the 1959 Capetown to Cairo and 63 Around the World caravans. That's my 2 cents. Of course, there may be other criteria that should also be included.

This would need to involve a certification process in which an applicant is certifed by a statnding committee within the WBCCI or VAC
The participant lists for both the 1959-60 Cape Town to Cairo and 1963-64 Around the World Caravan's exist. In fact, I have been casually trying to put together a list of which trailers (years, lengths, models, etc.) were on each caravan (it's a short list of confirmed trailers so far), because I have seen more than one claim that an old Airstream was on one of those caravan's that was baseless. When member numbers and names and old caravan photo's were checked, there was no correlation to the claim. If you look to any other old Caravan's (like for example, the 1956 European Caravan), the available documentation will be even less, so authentification would be even harder. I suspect that with effort, Participant Lists could be found in old WBCCI archives, but it might be up to the claimant to provide photo evidence to back up the claim that the trailer itself was on the Caravan.

So, I would agree that it takes much more than just having an old number on a trailer to "prove" it's legacy. For example, an Airforums member has a trailer with old numbers on it that match a trailer that was on the 1957 Mexican Caravan, but the problem is the trailer is a 1959 Airstream, so clerely it was bought after the members with that number returned from the Mexican Caravan.

But that said, I do like the idea of reserving original numbers for those trailers that were on some of the famous old Caravan's, and that were owned by Wally Byam himself and possibly other famous club members. I know that recently Wally's 1955 Bubble (supposedly used on a Eurpoean Caravan, but which based upon photo and other evidence beyond a reasonable doubt belonged to him) came up for sale and I think was bought by an AirForums member. I would say that trailer should be eligable, except that they would never allow anyone else to be assigned Wally's WBCCI number of 1. Similarly, I have seen here or somewhere else that at least one of Helen Byam Schwamborn's original trailers has turned up, but again, I doubt you'd get her number 2 assigned to anyone else. Of course in both cases you might get permision to display the number 1 or 2 on the trailer (maybe with a reomovable plaque or other display that shows your true WBCCI membership number).

One other complication is that the numbers 1 thru 99 (or is it 100?) are controlled and assigned as they see fit by Airstream Corp. A few of the participants from each of the Cape Town and Around the World Caravans had numbers below 100.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
an Airforums member has a trailer with old numbers on it that match a trailer that was on the 1957 Mexican Caravan, but the problem is the trailer is a 1959 Airstream, so clerely it was bought after the members with that number returned from the Mexican Caravan.
And then there was the recent History Detectives program about a guy who had a old AS that he suspected was on the 59 Capetown to Cairo Caravan. They spent an hour to state the obvious that there was no way. The program raised my hackles as someone did a real hack job on this trailer tuning it into a permanent piece of lawn art with various add on rooms. Sacrilege!