Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:01 AM   #21
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Did you all see the guy in the ladies underwear in the Xmas card below?
Yes I did and then I saw how Pee Wee got the beginnings of a tizzy with you over that... But Jason gets thrown under the bus.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Yes I did and then I saw how Pee Wee got the beginnings of a tizzy with you over that... But Jason gets thrown under the bus.
Jason wasn't thrown. He jumped.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Fun

Camping is fun!

I am proud to be an Airstream owner. When I first put my big red numbers on my trailer "Lucy" a friend said "they look ugly" that same friend was working the gate at Burning Man one year when I pulled up he said "I knew it was you because of your numbers" My friends and family always check out Airstream numbers going down the road to see if its me!

There is nothing like caravaning and camping with other Airstreamers!

2003 International CCD
Old 02-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Here's the funny thing: this thread is three years old. There were posts on the first page alluding to the politics and difficulty that the club was going through. That was before the long list of recent WBCCI misadventures, which there isn't really a need to duplicate here.

I think Jason asked a valid question - how do members reconcile the fun with the stuff on the higher level? Different people could have different answers. He asked the question rather politely, only to be stomped down by PeeWee ("you don't ask me anything" - oh, that's civil) and other self-appointed thread moderators.

Really, I should just say "whatever" - and indeed I will. Each passing birthday teaches me that online forum spats are pretty damn much wasted time...

Tom
Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
1993 34' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Tom, thi is the electronic communications era and, as such members everywhere now have an opportunity to express their "differing opinions" - theses are not spats but expressions of frustration over the actions and / or inactions of the club leadership If the leadership pays attention, the club will thrive, otherwise it will go down the tube in failure.

The termination of Leo was a very bad mistake by the current leadership - all are to blame for this, the PIP's, the EC7 and the IBT. This action may well have killed the club. I told all of you that "change" was coming, but no you did not pay attention. I know how to sve the club. Oops, gotta go, talk to you latter.gotta go

Bob T
Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Jason wasn't thrown. He jumped.
You sure got that right.Thejumped.
The loss of Pee Wee What ever the cause or reason is a grate loss to the folks that like the history about the WBCCI whether they are a member or not.
We have this thread and enough so lets it now.
We all know the WBCCI's troubles and each of us has made up our mind about what we are going to do.So with Pee Wee gone lets close this thread.It has died a natural death just like the WBCCI is going to do with out change.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
WHAT HE SAID!!! Just too bad that it wasn't closed before Dale left...the sanctimonious self-admiration used to justify personal attacks belongs in the garbage; a lifestyle which created our existence as unit and club members should be remembered and revitalized or buried...I have met Dale on a few occasions, and respect his willingness to share his experience with those interested. On the forums, you push a button; at the campfire, you get up and walk away...RESPECT YER ELDERS< ya little twerp> mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 02-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Here I go. I try to stay out of WBCCI discussions on the forums because you can never win them, but every once in a while I feel like I've got to give my 2 cents worth, so here goes.

WBCCI is like family to a lot of folks. It may be a big dysfunctional family, but it's a family none the less. The trouble is when people start tossing nagetive comments around about the club, some of us take it personally. Yeah our family's got problems, but don't "you" (meaning no one in particular) pick on our family or we're gonna have a fight. We're gonna have to stand up for them, like them or not.

I feel this way a lot of the time when WBCCI gets bashed here over and over. PeeWee feels it much more personally. He was there are the beginning and saw his mother build the club from an idea to a great organization. I don't blame him for pushing back every once in a while.

It does get irritating that any thread here that mentions WBCCI is going to eventually (often sooner than later) turn into a complaint fest about the club. Dale knows that the club has issues, but I think he just wanted one thread to celebrate the positives so that the negatives could be forgotten for a little while.

I know Jason's comments are valid and that he didn't mean to hurt Dale or usurp the thread, he just happened to be the one to make the post that broke the camels back. That's the way it goes sometimes.

I wish the posts that shifted the topic could be moved to another thread to try to keep this one to it's original intent, but if that's the policy half the threads on AirFourms probably need to be split. What's done is done. Let's just get back to celebrating the positive (what little there is in some eyes) about WBCCI in this thread (or not).

Now I'll crawl back under my rock . . .
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I've got to give my 2 cents worth, so here goes.
Joe,

Thanks for your reasoned comments regarding this thread.

I'd like to explore one issue that you have suggested in your post that continues to appear both here and on the WBCCI forums. That being the idea that we need to keep the good and the bad on separate threads. Seems that many think this is crucial and others (myself included) think it is imperative to always offer a balance of good and bad as it exists. In my mind, if the good can't hold up to the burden of the bad this suggests there is room for improvement. Lacking positives can not be improved by concealing the negatives.

I think we should all strive to have our virtues hold up to the scrutiny of our faults... this applies to the WBBCI as with everything else.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
yer still a little twerp
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Joe,

Thanks for your reasoned comments regarding this thread.

I'd like to explore one issue that you have suggested in your post that continues to appear both here and on the WBCCI forums. That being the idea that we need to keep the good and the bad on separate threads. Seems that many think this is crucial and others (myself included) think it is imperative to always offer a balance of good and bad as it exists. In my mind, if the good can't hold up to the burden of the bad this suggests there is room for improvement. Lacking positives can not be improved by concealing the negatives.

I think we should all strive to have our virtues hold up to the scrutiny of our faults... this applies to the WBBCI as with everything else.
Thank you Steve. I don't intend to get into a long discussion of the topic, but I offer a reply to your inquiry.

I don't think there is anyone that thinks that there is not room for improvement in WBCCI. On this thought, the EC7, IBT, and all members and non-members can agree. We just can't agree on what changes are needed.

The good to bad balance is a personal thing for all of us. Each person feels the balance differently. I personally feel the bad gets far more air time than the good (and that's not unusual for any topic unfortunately, not just the club, just look at the "Airstream quality" threads of even non-Airstream topics on other forums).

I think some of use just feel that the same negative things keep getting said and emphasized over and over in multiple threads - so much so that it seems personal at times. Maybe it's different persons with similar thoughts in many cases, but there seems to be little positive to balance it out, so it can become a little overwhelming.

I'm sure others will feel it differently. That's just where I am coming from.

And to take my own advice and balance things out with a little positive I'll note that almost all of the people we have met in WBCCI are great and we are glad to call them friends. Almost all the club events we have gone to have been enjoyable, some more than others, but none were awful. As a still working 40-something I feel fortunate to have been able to experience this club beyond just the local Unit level having tried out a few Special Event Rallies and a couple of Caravan's. We look forward to more when I retire, if the club is still viable then. We are definitely not "old school" members and clearly see areas for improvement, but after 6+ years in the club we continue to see value and continue to enjoy what we can.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #32
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
yer still a little twerp
Excuse me but are you a grown man? Why would you lower yourself so far as to call someone a twerp? Do all people you disagree with become twerps? How is that positive?

The biggest problem is people are very upset, pissed off about the situation and unfortunately there is absolutely zero venue to discuss it and work it out except on this forum. All of this should be over at the WBCCI forum, but there it would be 100% sanitized and as always NOTHING would be accomplished. All of you upset about all this negative stuff should be very grateful. YES GRATEFUL, for it is forcing your leaders to FINALLY take notice. For years the leadership has cared less about your opinions and desires. Due to all the discussions here and on SaveWally.org they are finally taking notice. Hopefully for all of you they pull the brake lever soon and a catastrophe will be avoided.

I hear Mrs. Schwamborn and Mr Byam mentioned all the time. Just to put things in to order...
The club was started in 1955 so you are looking at 55 years of the Club existing.
Mr. Byam died in 1962. That is less than 7 years of direct influence.
Mrs. Schwamborn retired from her role in the Club in 1979. Her influence was 24 years long. At the point of her retirement the membership was at its greatest.
In the last 31 years the membership has been on a steady decline.
This forum has been around for 8 years. It's membership has been on a steady increase. The decline is not the fault of this forum or the people disgusted and feed up with the WBCCI.

How about accepting the short comings and not blaming others for them.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Frank,
I did not blame anyone for WBCCI's decline, not this forum or anyone that participate in it. My comments were of a personal nature and were meant to incite thought and compassion, not rage.

Your comments are way off base and are causing me to stop participating in this thread. I should have known better than to try to smooth things over a little and spread a little positive about WBCCI. I hope you enjoy TAC - I won't be joining.

Goodbye.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Frank,
I did not blame anyone for WBCCI's decline
Joe,

Frank was not referring to YOUR comments.... look who he quoted.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
the sanctimonious self-admiration used to justify personal attacks belongs in the garbage
Quote:
RESPECT YER ELDERS< ya little twerp>
Seems a touch ironic to me...

As mentioned by others above, I disagree with this part of the thread being removed from the self-admiring WBCCI is awesome thread - but that's not my choice.

Tom
Old 02-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #36
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
As mentioned by others above, I disagree with this part of the thread being removed from the self-admiring WBCCI is awesome thread - but that's not my choice.

Tom
Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya;
Kum bay ya, the Lord, kum bay ya;
Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya,

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #37
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Joe,

Frank was not referring to YOUR comments.... look who he quoted.
I cant tell who was being called names, I assumed it was me on account of the 'sanctimonious' reference. Doesn't matter; been called worse, been thrown out of nicer places. BTW "respect your elders" is the last resort when force of argument fails, pretty much the equivalent of a "because I say so" argument.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
pretty much the equivalent of a "because I say so" argument.
LOL! I use that one on my kids all the time.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #39
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Respecting my elders does NOT give them carte blanche to act irresponsibly and do as they please at everyone else's expense.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
The 'elder', in this case, was a reference to Pee Wee...
The response to "sanctimonious" pretty much says it all...
I may be older, but I have a right to be as immature as I want...as much as you have the right to try to lecture me on my obvious ignorance to your superior intellect and judgement...your cross, not mine...
Ironic...??? let's see...ScrapIrony...hmmm...
Grown up??? AM TOO!!! ARE NOT!!! AM TOO!!! etc, etc.
OK, gonna go hold my breath, now...
Closed Thread