Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #57
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Can we have an Airstream piñata with blue numbers on it at a future TAC rally?

Metaphorical bashing with a bat is soooo cathartic.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I'd rather bust one with red numbers on it, if the heritage continues to be sullied...

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #59
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I was being sarcastic.....damn computers

When are they going to have computers that convey these kinds of things?

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Because people come to these forums for accurate and useful information about Airstreams and Airstreaming.

A discussion that is purposefully restricted to offer only one point of view is nothing more than propaganda.

BTW, the conversation was about a PeeWee's historical perspective on how todays members should approach experiencing the club. The counter that was offered by others (not me) was that the current club leadership are diverting funds away from the original goals of Wally and Helen (as described by PeeWee) to be used for their own benefit.

This is information that all members and prospective members should know... as unappealing as it might be.
The discussion on the thread was about a mostly forgotten Caravaner who crossed the equator in a bra and panties. I would have liked to learn more about him and the other personalities involved.

These caravaners of 50 years ago are not really related to the current clubs antics. It seems though that anytime the club comes up in any fashion. A group has to bash. Sorry but it seems pretty petulant.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
We're new to the AS family and I have to chime in and say that all the bashing of any club (whether justified or not) is probably not the best to entice "newbies" like ourselves to want to join anything AS related. I thought the AS "family" was close knit, mostly (?) retirees who were fed up with politics (especially after working for years!!) and the main goal was to camp with new found friends and enjoy the passion of Airstreaming together. My question...are there Airstreamers out there who get together without the bother of formal clubs? Hey, we just wanna have fun!!! Too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak, always ruins the recipe!
AndiJean
Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
We're new to the AS family and I have to chime in and say that all the bashing of any club (whether justified or not) is probably not the best to entice "newbies" like ourselves to want to join anything AS related. I thought the AS "family" was close knit, mostly (?) retirees who were fed up with politics (especially after working for years!!) and the main goal was to camp with new found friends and enjoy the passion of Airstreaming together. My question...are there Airstreamers out there who get together without the bother of formal clubs? Hey, we just wanna have fun!!! Too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak, always ruins the recipe!
AndiJean

You will find mostly what you are looking for at your local club , and naturally some will be a better fit for you than others . Rely on your OWN experience . The WBBCI is a troubled club right now , that is obvious , it may change , it may not. If you only rely on the the posts about it on this forum you will get yourself in a panic . If you go through the numerous , most recent posts on this subject you will find that the same posters , on both sides , are posting over and over and over and over again , with the same point of view . It seems to be a limited opinion pool . Almost any word in any thread has become a potential platform for launching into the same aguement. Go out and camp , don't worry be happy.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #63
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
AndiJean, I think it's worthwhile to keep in mind that what you see in Internet discussion venues may present a somewhat skewed representation of larger groups, be they camping clubs, political organizations, or whatever. The problem with Internet venues is, as far as I can see, that you can get a vocal minority that make a case appear much larger than it is.

Of course, I'm not saying that the vocal minority in the present situation (WBCCI) does not have a case, or that it is not legitimate. I personally happen to agree with some (but not all) of what is argued. That said, the question is whether you'd be likely to see any of this when you're out camping with the club, that is, in the non-virtual world. And the answer you'll see here, again and again, is that it's very different in the non-virtual experience of the club.

Some say that the difference between the real experience and the virtual one of the club is but a reflection of the difference between the club's current leadership and its everyday members. I tend to agree, but, again, that view, too, is up to interpretation and debate. (And that debate will appear in the virtual world, almost guaranteed.)

In the end, then, you can rest assured that your real experience with club events will be pretty fun, assuming that you choose a unit that fits your style. Each unit has its own personality, so the trick is to get with the right one for you.

Lynn
Old 02-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
The discussion on the thread was about a mostly forgotten Caravaner who crossed the equator in a bra and panties.
Get your facts straight... Carol posted the picture of the the guy who PeeWee says "could rise to the zanies" in the 43rd post. It was certainly NOT the topic of the thread.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
Old 02-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
Punxsutawney , Pennsylvania
Our experience with the WBCCI has been fantastic. Some of the nicest people that I've met are in this club. Speaking highly of the WBCCI is certainly NOT "propaganda" as somebody said above. I do agree that the club is headed to trouble with it's current problems, but I'm not sure the bulk of club members wants change or cares about it. Instead of writing about the problems here, people need to contact club members, make sure they are aware of the problems, and then get their opinion as to whether they think there should be a change or not. The structure of the club does not bode well, for change coming quickly, or any time soon. No amount of harping about this here on this forum is going to do what needs to be done. The guys that are starting up TAC are actually doing something about the problems. Since the WBCCI is not willing to change, TAC is going ahead to demonstrate how a modern club can be run. I'm sure the TAC guys need help with this.
When we are sitting around the campfire while at a WBCCI rally, enjoying a potluck dinner, or watching a movie about the African Caravan, the clubs problems are not on our minds (well, maybe sometimes). I still say WBCCI is a great club, with a great history, and I can recommend the experience. I also think the top brass of the club is not doing much so save it from dying off, which is a shame. Right now, TAC is probably the way of the future.
I have every intention of making both of the clubs work and work well. Camping and Airstreaming is NOT about negativity and strife; it's about fun and enjoyment. The negatitity is only going to drive away potential members to either club, and that serves no useful purpose. So, the people out there that want change who are in the WBCCI, should be writing letters, e-mails, or making phone calls to other members, most of whom are not on this forum. If they are not in the WBCCI, and they want a new club, they should be helping TAC with rally schedules, and other infrastructure. This is what is going to get things done ....not harping here on the forum !!!!

...Can't wait until camping season!!

PUNXSY GT
Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxsy GT View Post
Our experience with the WBCCI has been fantastic. Some of the nicest people that I've met are in this club.
Marc, I agree... same for us, of course you and your family are some of the great people we have met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxsy GT View Post
Speaking highly of the WBCCI is certainly NOT "propaganda" as somebody said above.
Oh really? doing just that without the benefit of contrary viewpoints is exactly that. Take a look at the definition here PROPAGANDA

excerpt - "Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus possibly lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis"

BTW, that link is very interesting reading... providing descriptions of 33 techniques of propagandizing
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
Old 02-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Maybe it is time to take a look at this thread. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f505...tml#post814772.

A little reminder that Airforums takes the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Closed Thread