Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2006, 06:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Thumbs up WBCCI "Night Club" at the International

As a WBCCI Communication Committee member,I have been asked by Renee Ettliner to start this thread to gather your suggestions for providing an alternative to the type of entertainment we have at the annual International Rally.

Below is part of a WBCCI Communication Committee memo which inspired this thread.

Let's hear your suggestions.

.................................................. .................................................. ..........................

We've had a suggestion that there be a "WBCCI night club" at the International Rally. Something that might appeal to the post Lawrence Welk generations. Suggestions have included a band, or a DJ.

Entertainment has already been booked for Perry so we are talking about something that might start after the regular entertainment and run for a couple of hours.

Expenses incurred with implementing something like this would need to be very reasonable since we are entering at a rather late stage in the planning process for Perry. Furthermore, everything that happens at International has to have a volunteer to coordinate it.

Don Shafer, WBCCI President is willing to hear out ideas on this subject and has asked for some feedback.

Could it be a bring your own drink and a snack to share type thing or just music? What would it take to make it successful? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

.................................................. .................................................. ........................

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Could it be a bring your own drink and a snack to share type thing or just music? What would it take to make it successful? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Great idea! I think BYOB and an optional snack to share along with "post Lawrence Welk" music would work!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
We already have night club events. The WBCCI band plays for no cost at the President's ball and at least two other nights. Teach the band some modern music and eliminate the cost of hiring a band or DJ. This would only increase the rally fee. Did you really mean BYOB for drinks? The club has never allowed alcoholic beverages at any official club function.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
We already have night club events. The WBCCI band plays for no cost at the President's ball....
Is everyone invited to the President's Ball? If not, then it isn't an option here.

Quote:
Teach the band some modern music and eliminate the cost of hiring a band or DJ.....
Can you learn the new music ahead of time? What are the other two functions that the band plays at?

Quote:
Did you really mean BYOB for drinks? The club has never allowed alcoholic beverages at any official club function.
Really?...I didn't know that. Is that written down somewhere?

Old 11-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm glad to see that the "stuffy" WBCCI is finally beginning to relax a little and break away from the knitting and bridge classes. I am, of course, being facetious. I know they will still have the knitting classes!

On a serious note, I think this demonstrates the club is willing to loosen up a little and begin to open up its activities more to the upcoming baby boomer crowd that is needed to follow in the foot steps of the current membership if the organization is to survive.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:24 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
All we need to have fun at most of the rallys I've been to is space for a campfire for people to gather around. If folks know there will be a campfire, many will bring their own instruments.

When I attended the Silver Trailer Social in 2004 it was held in a gravel fairgrounds rv lot, but there were fire rings, and in the evening after the outdoor movies were over there were fires burning all over the camp, with some people gathering for music, some just to talk, some floating from group to group. It was great fun.

I think this is another matter of the WBCCI trying to 'plan' something that could really be handled better just by providing opportunitites for people to do it themselves. A 'night club' with music doesn't really sound like a trailer activity.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
We already have night club events. The WBCCI band plays for no cost at the President's ball and at least two other nights. Teach the band some modern music and eliminate the cost of hiring a band or DJ. This would only increase the rally fee. Did you really mean BYOB for drinks? The club has never allowed alcoholic beverages at any official club function.
This is a good example of why we're not renewing our WBCCI menbership. Someone suggest something new and the 2nd comment is negative. I figure there will be lots of discussion about this , a committee formed to make recomendations to the IBT, which will recieve them to late for this years meeting. By then the idea will be shelved until another president will be elected who will appoint another committee because half of the IBT members have retired. By then a "Save Wallys Band" movement will be started, ETC__ETC__ETC Until such time a president is elected that is willing to stand up and "help" make changes the club will remain as it is. The "good old boys" elect "the good old boys" who serve "the good old boys". While Don is willing to "hear out ideas and has aked for some feed back" I'll bet dollars to donuts his vote will go to the "status quo". In the mean time he will ride around in his motor home at WBCCI expence smile and remain a "good old boy". ---pieman
As a PS I find it interesting they would start a thread seeking opinions. At the last WBCCI Rally nearly everyone I spoke with NEVER HEARD of this forum.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hey that would be cool. To have music "after hours" we can dance to a popular band or DJ! Anyone remember dancing to the Troubadours at Airstream's Homecomings? The International has plenty of pockets of get-togethers. But wouldn't it be great to have some different entertainment and social activity to enliven and include more?

I don't think it should be byob or a snack, that would be just like the happy hours and potluck fare. You don't need food. We sit and sit and sit and eat for days. Let's dance. Hire a bartender, pay as you go. Make a space, fix the lighting, few small round tables, some couches or chairs for lounging add a few people intending to have fun and I think it would be a great success.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I'm glad to see that the "stuffy" WBCCI is finally beginning to relax a little and break away from the knitting and bridge classes. I am, of course, being facetious. I know they will still have the knitting classes!

On a serious note, I think this demonstrates the club is willing to loosen up a little and begin to open up its activities more to the upcoming baby boomer crowd that is needed to follow in the foot steps of the current membership if the organization is to survive.
Personally I think this is nothing more than an exersize in courtesy on the part of WBCCI. Notice Don only said he was willing to "listen". More good old boy rhetoric !!!----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
How about candlelight tours in the vintage section. Maybe the VAC could set up a bar as a fund raiser? Tiki Nite at the VAC!

Stefs right - all you really need is a plass to congregate and a reason. I'm not sure that a campfire has a lot of appeal in GA in July - but surely they can come up with something?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
It sounds terrific. I think go for once and put all you have into making one big success, after that you will have a better feel for what you might plan for the future. But with so many friends together at International, there are many forum and of course the VAC tent and get-togethers so you might not want to spread the numbers out between several nights, get them all together at once, and leave other nights for the smaller get-togethers that members hold at their sites.

I think it would be a great idea for you to e-mail Renee (comminicator) or streamer23 to pass onto the communications commitee about your friend and services. Maybe there could be an opener as well as the DJ or a second band. I would certainly be willing to pay a cover charge or purchase a ticket.

photography
Old 11-29-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Personally I think this is nothing more than an exersize in courtesy on the part of WBCCI. Notice Don only said he was willing to "listen". More good old boy rhetoric !!!----pieman
I say let's give it a shot. Change has to start somewhere. Actions speak louder than words so let's play this out and see what actions come of it.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Could be real interest or could be more of the ask them for ideas and make them feel important. No way to know.
The leaders who put together the Region One Rally, Alumination Celebration, put it together using input and their own God given brains and interest.
We had a great band and lots of dancing. At the same time there was a campfire for those so inclined. Both venues were BYOB.
We should address the alcohol issue sometime, seems like it's one of those not talked about problems. I think this is especially so given that not everyone drinks. Then there is the "family atmosphere" issue.

I would really like to see some leadership from the top. Could be the "club" is too multifaceted to lead. It's like medical staff meetings, trying to herd cats.

Join WACCI, be happy.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I don't think the atmosphere should be family orientated at an after hours night club. No one has to drink, but I have never been to any rally where people aren't having a drink, not everyone, it is personal choice, but I don't think suggstions on a fun event need to be handed out from the top as leaders for something of this nature. And am I wrong in assuming this leadership you would like to see from the top is the very same as the leadership you think may only be appeasing us with our self importance? I am sure the input of the successful Aluminations was from all participants and not just from the officers.

If you were to get "rooked" with just being asked to make you feel important, (and I think they have much more on the ball than you are giving them credit for) what's the harm in offering up a few suggestions anyway? It costs nothing, it takes little time or effort to pop up an interesting idea. What have we got to lose? As Yuki says let's give it a shot.

photography
Old 11-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
And am I wrong in assuming this leadership you would like to see from the top is the very same as the leadership you think may only be appeasing us with our self importance?
Yes, by leadership I mean effective leadership, not office holding. So yes the leadership I would expected for the office holders is not the same as the "old (use to be new type B) corporate management tactic of having meetings and asking for input and forming a consence" as a substitute for leadership.

Quote:
I am sure the input of the successful Aluminations was from all participants and not just from the officers.
Actually lots of people did lots of work. But two people the two people who put it together conceptually were a past president and a then jr officer. There is no way to overstate their contribution.

Quote:
If you were to get "rooked" with just being asked to make you feel important, (and I think they have much more on the ball than you are giving them credit for) what's the harm in offering up a few suggestions anyway? It costs nothing, it takes little time or effort to pop up an interesting idea. What have we got to lose? As Yuki says let's give it a shot.
Sure, why not. I'll be there to check it out. It's like the trailers. It took a long time for AS to get away from the oak cabinets and country decor but they have finally done so. Prehaps the club can follow. Frankly, the older folks have created a club they like the way it is and are entitled to keep it that way.

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify my statement.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
What kind of get togethers do we usually have at an Air rally? Potluck and Happy Hour. So put out some tables for the snacks that may come and a few more tables for the drinks that may come. Leave the lights on and play a varied collection of popular music types over a P.A. and we'll have a party. Cheap, easy and fun without over organization.

I applaud the asking of the question and where it is being asked. Seems to me that when a group in Az. or Ca. can put out a Rally notice on the internet about 60 days in advance and get 20-30 rigs showing up and having a really good time and demanding another Rally it is noticed at the WBCCI.

I for one hope they steal all of our "How to throw a Rally" secrets and use it to their advantage.

I don't think Don Shafer has the unbridled power to decree an after hours party. Like most organizations he probably has to politic among the different factions to get things done. So lets find out once and for all is it an ear that hears or a deaf one? Lets give him the info and support to succeed and see what happens.

I make no bones about this folks. I want the WBCCI to be a vibrant thriving organization deeply rooted in Going camping and having fun with all your friends and family. So any time I see a move in that direction. I'm all for it.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Try one out after working out the details

Quote:

Yes we do have the WBCCI band,made up of volunteers,who do a great job for those members who enjoy that style of music.I've been to 11 International Rallies,the first one when I was 22.I've seen and enjoyed the band.I just don't think I would enjoy ,for example,'Start me up' by the Stone's newly learned by the band.Nothing against the talented members of the WBCCI band but its just not for me and not fair to the music.No one is suggesting they be replaced.Just provide an alternative.

It would also be great to have some style of entertainment later in the evening.Unless it has changed in recent years,it seems that at 9pm the rally site goes into lock down mode.

Yes,I enjoyed having friends visit my trailer at that time or sitting outside enjoying others company,but out of respect to those trying to sleep ,I felt that even laughing had to be muffled.

If this is tried out in Perry or future rallies,maybe it could be at a place away from the main parking area as not to disturb anyone else.I feel it would also be great to try one out and see how it works and if it could be continued.

I'm not suggesting taking anything away from anyone with this idea.Just providing an option which may be enjoyed by those so inclined.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 11-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
This is a good example of why we're not renewing our WBCCI menbership. Someone suggest something new and the 2nd comment is negative. I figure there will be lots of discussion about this , a committee formed to make recomendations to the IBT, which will recieve them to late for this years meeting.
It is my understanding that this idea and several others ARE on the agenda for the IBT meeting in January.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 11-29-2006, 04:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Hey, hey now. Don't be messin' around with us knitters. Remember, we're carrying pointy weapons so dangerous we can't board a plane with them anymore. That's why we travel by Airstream.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #20
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
It is my understanding that this idea and several others ARE on the agenda for the IBT meeting in January.
How can someone find out what is on the agenda?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote