Old 11-29-2006, 07:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Here is the official aerial photo from this years International Rally in Salem Oregon. The Rally was held on the Oregon State Fairgrounds. This picture gives you a feel for the size. There were over 1040 rigs registered.

The large building in the upper left hand area is where the evening entertainment was held.

The small white dot near the road in the upper center is the VAC tent where the VAC happy hour and awards ceremony for the open house was held.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 International 4_6.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	29174  

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:33 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Cruise Line

The people putting together international might consider watching how the cruise lines are evolving. What I mean is that in the past cruise lines were run on a tight schedule, eat when it's your time, relax when it's your time, party when it's your time and so on. Now the industry is evolving with the times to offer flexible schedules to people versus set schedules. One of the large lines is running a set of commercials promoting this as their new way of cruising. I cannot remember if it's Carnival or not.

I am not suggesting that international run a completely ala carte schedule but that folks today are put off at rigid set schedules for all activities. I am of the opinion, that if you make the event fun people will come. Word will spread that there is something fun going on and isn't this why people attend rallies, to have fun?

Make it fun, keep it loose, have alternative kids options, and people will come..... maybe a knitter or two

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It is interesting that the same thread is running on the "official" WBCCI forum and has only 4 replies. It is also interesting that the what goes on at the International is remotely deemed as "Camping". It is like the club "everything to everbody. It is also interesting that some of the people and comments on this thread have no idea what goes on at International and therefore take the thread far afield. WBCCI at the International has alot of similarities to old fashion cruise lines, including the Captians/Presidents ball with the receiving lines and long dresses and big band music. WBCCI's version is fairly well attended but avoided by those that think it has nothing to do with camping. WBCCI's version has only cookies and non-alcoholic punch. For those who attend this function a DJ with rap music would be out of place. I am not sure rap music has much to do with camping either (in my opinion). The VAC crowd has always done its own thing, so you do not see much of them at the President's Ball. They usually do have a special teen dance that runs at the same time as the President's ball that features more modern music on records ( if there are such things anymore with the advent of disks) and you do see some of the middle age folks go from the president's Ball to the Sox Hop.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Carol, your description warns me off of international events for all time. Imagining this is beyond my experience, for sure. I think I get the picture. Thanks for the explanation! Scrap my comment above: doesn't fit ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
It is interesting that the same thread is running on the "official" WBCCI forum and has only 4 replies.
It seems to me the only reason other Airstream/WBCCI forums don't get as many people replying is that this forum has already established the largest community of Airstream owners and WBCCI members who are internet oriented. It's easier to get instant feedback and conversation here and most of us probably just prefer one stop shopping for our Airstream/WBCCI community.

If the Int'l planners are looking for new ideas, maybe they need to hear more from us who haven't attended an International so we can tell them what would attract us. Earlier in the year I was thinking of attending Perry and started making plans. But after looking into it, learning from other people who've attended about what goes on there, and attending my first Region rally (the largest rally I've ever been to) I think we're going to pass on it.

If the goal is to get more of the people who aren't attending to speak up about why, then here's a chance to speak up and offer some new ideas while someone's ears are on us. If the goal is just to educate people on what goes on at International and hope we'll all find a way to come and cope, I don't see that working.

Any suggestions here about dealing with the size of the rally (looking at how cruiseships do it, thinking about making it more appealing to the range of Airstreamers -- those who camp, those who restore, those who travel, those who full-time, those who are weekenders, those who dance to ballroom, those who hip-hop) are all good suggestions if they bring about changes that attract people who own Airstreams and who don't now find the International appealing.

The idea of finding entertainment and an atmosphere that puts out the welcome mat to the post Lawrence Welk generation is a step in the right direction, and waaaaay overdue. And it's only a baby step in my view.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Carol, your description warns me off of international events for all time. Imagining this is beyond my experience, for sure. I think I get the picture. Thanks for the explanation! Scrap my comment above: doesn't fit ~G
Georgia, your camping experience sounds lovely it is just the thing we all would like to duplicate. And I didn't mean to put you off International either but only to show an International is a different event. I love the Internationals. The hub-bub of Airstream city. Meeting people from all over the United States and Canada that I would never otherwise bump into. The luck of the draw with brand new neighbors. You never know who you are going to meet. I like all the unknown variables. It is exciting. I barely sit down, it's go go go. I actually try not to spend all my time with people I have already met, I am there to widen out. It's a very cool dynamic and a wonderful experience like none other. I love being thrown together elbow to elbow toe to toe with strangers. Interesting!!!! Leave the cliques and comfortable routines at home, and live a little.

You know how some people get a tear in their eye or it catches their breath when they approach Mount Rushmore? Well the first time I saw all those silver Airstreams as I rounded the corner, never seeing so many together in my life, I got that feeling. Everyone has got to try it at least once. You will be amazed. I like it because it is different. I would not travel from coast to coast to attend a rally and want it to be like all the other local rallies I can attend at home. I could do that any time. This is a special event.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:39 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Georgia keep in mind that this is about an International Rally that is a sea of trailers in very close parking lot proximity to each other, some even on pavement, a close city and no campfires of a thousand trailers and motorhomes. It isn't just like the camping you mention when you are at an International Rally. It can be an airport or a fairgrounds without camp sites. It's living in a big city like environment.With the exception of the VAC tent for their happy hours which may be located very far away from those not in that section you are parked an awnings width away from each other. So if you are looking for some elbow room you go to the main buildings or between two Airstreams.
But Georgia brings up a good point too. The size of the International doesn't sound conducive to allowing small neighborhoods, like the kind of groups that break out when we're camping, to come together within the city of RVs. Even at a large fair it's not usually crammed so tight that there's not space to gather. Besides the VAC tent I haven't heard of any other tents, shaded outdoor open space, or gathering spots for smaller impromptu groups. Is that the case? Why not? Do units plan there own activities and open houses at rallies and invite the neighbors over? Do other Airstreaming friends in WBCCI hold non-exclusive get-togethers? Many units own large tents to set up shaded gathering areas. Do they use these at Int'l?

(Jamie, Jamie, put down that cup of coffee, you're asking too many questions at once!)
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
But Georgia brings up a good point too. The size of the International doesn't sound conducive to allowing small neighborhoods, like the kind of groups that break out when we're camping, to come together within the city of RVs. Even at a large fair it's not usually crammed so tight that there's not space to gather. Besides the VAC tent I haven't heard of any other tents, shaded outdoor open space, or gathering spots for smaller impromptu groups. Is that the case? Why not? Do units plan there own activities and open houses at rallies and invite the neighbors over? Do other Airstreaming friends in WBCCI hold non-exclusive get-togethers? Many units own large tents to set up shaded gathering areas. Do they use these at Int'l?

(Jamie, Jamie, put down that cup of coffee, you're asking too many questions at once!)
EXACTLY! That is an International. It is large, it is meant to be, it isn't hometown. It hustles and bustles. It's an opportunity to experience travel and new people and new situations. This is an alternative to local events. It is supposed to be different. Try it and avail yourself of what it does have to offer. (No one even has to leave home to do what they always do, the way they do it, with the people they always do it with.) Therein lies the beauty of an International. It's anonymity and its potential.

photography
Old 11-30-2006, 09:19 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
My second ever event was International in Vermont. I stayed off site in a very comfortable campground. I was very glad I did so. While it was very exciting to see all the Airstreams there just wasn't much going on of interest. And I am someone with a very wide range of interest. The funny hat stuff seemed to be the reason for the Rally. All those folks who have been doing it for 10 20 years seemed to be having a great time except for the heat. I suspect that the International is it's own affair and acts like a screening tool for itself. If you have been doing this for 20 years International must be a great place to see folks you just don't see much. For us it was like being a tourist, one day was enough. We actually took a long weekend to go only to find that the few seminars of interest were during the week. The format clearly makes no quarter for anyone who is not there for the whole week. Not saying it should.

We are 99% on going to Perry. Being close by International standards and making a vacation of it with AS friends and wanting to take the Caravan Course. We will be staying off grounds again by choice. Seems the standard is to park people too close even when there is enough room to spread them out. And with 1000+ trailers in 100+ temps, I'll need some room.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I think to get a geniune feel for an International you need to stay on site. It's so much more than driving in and checking out the planned activities. It isn't so much for going to be entertained as going for the experiences you have with people that were strangers when you pulled in but friends when you pull out or the people you talk with in a line or walked down the road with. It's just an amazing dynamic. Gotta get down and dirty, have to share the mutual experience as being there, not sightsee.

photography
Old 11-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #39
_

. , .
hello international wannabees....

got some thoughts on this event and posts here related 2 it?

for ne1 that hasn't been to a wb international...i offer this thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...on-23910.html?

take the tour now...

feel free to add your comments there in...

my thoughts on a 'night club' will follow soon.

cheers
2air'

hey wheel'n...i like that new zipcodenumberthingnotwallyortheforums...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
want to appeal to the wider masses? say 18 - 55? think burningman.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Without reading all the details of this thread - but going back to the first question... and the fact that I have not been at an international Rally Yet - hope to attend the one in Georgia.

How about keeping it simple

A nightcap tent.

When regular entertainment is over and people head back - put their kiddies to bed (arrange for baby sitter, dog sitter) and if you can not find a "gathering" then head to the "NightCap Tent" for Hot Chocolate - opps sorry wrong season make that an Irish Cream.

What starts in the tent stays in the tent young or old - dance, drink coolaid, fan each other or whatever. It is an organized place for entertainment that has the proper equipment to facilitate large crowds. Rent on a tent is cheaper than a building and the air would be nice outside.

Rent a couple of Electric fireplaces for the ambiance if you have to.

Getting out and about is the key - and not everyone goes to bed at 9:00 - so move the side parties to a common place. (to be considerate of those who do go to bed early)
Old 11-30-2006, 03:24 PM   #42
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
I think it goes both ways that if people who decide to go to sleep earlier should expect it to be quiet then it's just as easy to say that people who decide to stay up later should expect these people to close their windows.

I travel with a six year old who goes to bed at 8:30PM (and that's a late night, it's typically 7:30PM) and she sleeps fine at our rallies even next to the louder folks. It's amazing how soundproof these trailers are when they're all buttoned up.

So for all you early sleepers, shut your windws!

D
Obviously you have never been to Georgia in the summer time.

Let me paint a picture:

Daytime temperatures in the hovering around the 100's
Nighttime temperatures in the mid 80's
Humidity levels in the mid 90's

Temper levels in the stratusfere.

Will it be that bad for certain...probably not, but you can count on it that it won't be far from it. And it is definately a posibility that it could be that bad.

Asking someone to sleep with the windows closed in a metal tube that has been sitting in the sun all day is like asking someone to sleep in a sauna. Except the sauna will have lower humidity!

If you were talking November or March, it would be different, but not July!

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote