Old 11-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
And am I wrong in assuming this leadership you would like to see from the top is the very same as the leadership you think may only be appeasing us with our self importance?
Yes, by leadership I mean effective leadership, not office holding. So yes the leadership I would expected for the office holders is not the same as the "old (use to be new type B) corporate management tactic of having meetings and asking for input and forming a consence" as a substitute for leadership.

Quote:
I am sure the input of the successful Aluminations was from all participants and not just from the officers.
Actually lots of people did lots of work. But two people the two people who put it together conceptually were a past president and a then jr officer. There is no way to overstate their contribution.

Quote:
If you were to get "rooked" with just being asked to make you feel important, (and I think they have much more on the ball than you are giving them credit for) what's the harm in offering up a few suggestions anyway? It costs nothing, it takes little time or effort to pop up an interesting idea. What have we got to lose? As Yuki says let's give it a shot.
Sure, why not. I'll be there to check it out. It's like the trailers. It took a long time for AS to get away from the oak cabinets and country decor but they have finally done so. Prehaps the club can follow. Frankly, the older folks have created a club they like the way it is and are entitled to keep it that way.

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify my statement.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
What kind of get togethers do we usually have at an Air rally? Potluck and Happy Hour. So put out some tables for the snacks that may come and a few more tables for the drinks that may come. Leave the lights on and play a varied collection of popular music types over a P.A. and we'll have a party. Cheap, easy and fun without over organization.

I applaud the asking of the question and where it is being asked. Seems to me that when a group in Az. or Ca. can put out a Rally notice on the internet about 60 days in advance and get 20-30 rigs showing up and having a really good time and demanding another Rally it is noticed at the WBCCI.

I for one hope they steal all of our "How to throw a Rally" secrets and use it to their advantage.

I don't think Don Shafer has the unbridled power to decree an after hours party. Like most organizations he probably has to politic among the different factions to get things done. So lets find out once and for all is it an ear that hears or a deaf one? Lets give him the info and support to succeed and see what happens.

I make no bones about this folks. I want the WBCCI to be a vibrant thriving organization deeply rooted in Going camping and having fun with all your friends and family. So any time I see a move in that direction. I'm all for it.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Try one out after working out the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
We already have night club events. The WBCCI band plays for no cost at the President's ball and at least two other nights. Teach the band some modern music and eliminate the cost of hiring a band or DJ. This would only increase the rally fee. Did you really mean BYOB for drinks? The club has never allowed alcoholic beverages at any official club function.

Yes we do have the WBCCI band,made up of volunteers,who do a great job for those members who enjoy that style of music.I've been to 11 International Rallies,the first one when I was 22.I've seen and enjoyed the band.I just don't think I would enjoy ,for example,'Start me up' by the Stone's newly learned by the band.Nothing against the talented members of the WBCCI band but its just not for me and not fair to the music.No one is suggesting they be replaced.Just provide an alternative.

It would also be great to have some style of entertainment later in the evening.Unless it has changed in recent years,it seems that at 9pm the rally site goes into lock down mode.

Yes,I enjoyed having friends visit my trailer at that time or sitting outside enjoying others company,but out of respect to those trying to sleep ,I felt that even laughing had to be muffled.

If this is tried out in Perry or future rallies,maybe it could be at a place away from the main parking area as not to disturb anyone else.I feel it would also be great to try one out and see how it works and if it could be continued.

I'm not suggesting taking anything away from anyone with this idea.Just providing an option which may be enjoyed by those so inclined.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
This is a good example of why we're not renewing our WBCCI menbership. Someone suggest something new and the 2nd comment is negative. I figure there will be lots of discussion about this , a committee formed to make recomendations to the IBT, which will recieve them to late for this years meeting.
It is my understanding that this idea and several others ARE on the agenda for the IBT meeting in January.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 11-29-2006, 05:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I'm glad to see that the "stuffy" WBCCI is finally beginning to relax a little and break away from the knitting and bridge classes. I am, of course, being facetious. I know they will still have the knitting classes!
Hey, hey now. Don't be messin' around with us knitters. Remember, we're carrying pointy weapons so dangerous we can't board a plane with them anymore. That's why we travel by Airstream.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:58 PM   #20
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
It is my understanding that this idea and several others ARE on the agenda for the IBT meeting in January.
How can someone find out what is on the agenda?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The following are just my opinions, and should be considered in the light I've never been to an International (and won't be this year) and am making some assumptions about the evening's events. Correct me where I'm wrong, disagree where you will.

A good DJ would probably offer a better variety of music than many bands. I don't mind listening to a bit of disco or rap as long as there's some classic rock, country, and parrothead too. A good DJ will sense the response of the audience and steer the music to it, not just run down a playlist. But I also agree with the comment the attendees can organize their own music.

I think there are some problems starting it after the usual Welk-style entertainment if that runs past 8:00 PM.

- Obviously, it'll just be cranking up about the time the older crowd, as well as families with younger children, are hitting the sack. It won't be quiet. In my opinion, two hours of music entertainment needs to be over by 10:00 PM, when quiet hours start in many parks.

- Hosting it well away from the camping (because it's late) is like telling the younger generation, "We'll LET you go do your thing as long as we don't have to see or hear it... oh yeah, you can't start yours until ours is done." There should be a break after dinner where attendees can stay for the traditional entertainment and those who want the more modern fare can leave. I think that's far less divisive than alienating the younger adults. Obviously, there will need to be some distance between the two entertainments to avoid crosstalk.

- Hosting the contemporary entertainment earlier will allow younger adults with children to enjoy it and still get the kids to bed at a reasonable time. If it's late, they may feel excluded.

I can't see hosting a cash bar, or even setting up one from personal bottles. I think it's too much, too soon for WBCCI, especially if children are present. Although it should be the prerogative of the parents as to whether they are around alcohol consumption, there will certainly be some who make it their business, and the gossip will start, making it hard on the WBCCI staff. Personally, I think the unwritten and unspoken acceptance of "Don't ask, don't tell" discretion should apply here too and it doesn't even need to be brought up. I have no problem drinking beer, wine, or liquor from an insulated Airstream travel mug and keeping the source out of sight, but some of the more rebellious might. Maybe beer cans kept in coozies (insulated jackets) would be reasonable. I'm not a fan of beer bottles carried around at events because of the hazard of broken glass.

It should be bring your own bottle/cans/drinks. Even right after dinner, snacks should be available wherever there's drinking, and for liability reasons, WBCCI should foot the bill for them (even though no one's drinking).

It probably won't be necessary, but there need to be a few volunteers to help those who've had a bit much to get back to their trailer. It wouldn't hurt for everyone to be looking out for each other and help before things get that far, though. Again, this doesn't need to be, nor can it be, addressed by the WBCCI staff. The attendees from this forum can handle it off-line.

While the music might be over at 10:00 PM, I don't think that should mean it should totally shut down. Conversations in lawn chairs around campfires or lanterns could continue... maybe until midnight if enough last that long.

Hope these help,
Old 11-29-2006, 06:33 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Family, Older, and Having Fun

It sure seems that that this thread is slanted towards preserving the peace for people who would like to go to sleep at 10PM. Aren't these rallys huge? Couldn't there be a quiet area reserved and then a less quiet district set aside?

I think it goes both ways that if people who decide to go to sleep earlier should expect it to be quiet then it's just as easy to say that people who decide to stay up later should expect these people to close their windows.

I travel with a six year old who goes to bed at 8:30PM (and that's a late night, it's typically 7:30PM) and she sleeps fine at our rallies even next to the louder folks. It's amazing how soundproof these trailers are when they're all buttoned up.

So for all you early sleepers, shut your windws!

Oh, it's 7:30 now... off to story time.

D

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
It sure seems that that this thread is slanted towards preserving the peace for people who would like to go to sleep at 10PM. Aren't these rallys huge? Couldn't there be a quiet area reserved and then a less quiet district set aside?

I think it goes both ways that if people who decide to go to sleep earlier should expect it to be quiet then it's just as easy to say that people who decide to stay up later should expect these people to close their windows.

I travel with a six year old who goes to bed at 8:30PM (and that's a late night, it's typically 7:30PM) and she sleeps fine at our rallies even next to the louder folks. It's amazing how soundproof these trailers are when they're all buttoned up.

So for all you early sleepers, shut your windws!

Oh, it's 7:30 now... off to story time.

D
Right on, Muddy. It's not like we're talking about fireworks and all night drunken brawls here. At the rallies I've attended where people stay up late laughing and singing and having a few beers around the campfire, I usually go back to the trailer early with the kids and we don't have any trouble falling asleep while the late-nighters rally on. Seems like the International ought to be big enough to accommodate everyone.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Late-nighters have never kept me up. The only time I got pissed about different schedules was when someone banged on my trailer at 10 a.m. to wake me up so I could say goodbye to the first campers hitting the road, whom I kind of disliked anyway ....
Old 11-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
This whole conversation seems so bizarre to me. I'm sitting here at my computer remembering nights in campgrounds around the US. Some camps are pretty small; others are quite large. In none of them were there prescribed rules about evening entertainment, except for the general time of about 10pm for folks to be out of the pool, generators to be off, and so on. In otherwords, quieting down consideration for the public good. Yet, in all the camps we've stayed, there would be small and large gatherings of friends around campfires, sometimes even double rings of large groups. Periodically, you'd hear an outburst of laughter along with flair ups of fires, but it always settled back down again. Music would be playing at various sites, but I can't recall anyone being offensive with choice or volume. This evening time became a kind of music in itself, as the voice levels rose and fell, along with the popping of firewood, or night calls of birds. Sometimes we would be among the last to turn in; other times we've tucked in early, and the campground vibes soon lulled us to sleep. I guess what I am saying is this: campers know how to gather, share interests, music, firelight, and laughter, and they know how to do it with respect for those around them. It just seems to be part of the camping ethic. I think that left alone and knowing they had the "blessing" of the larger assembly, that the ones who want to join up for some song and dance and beers and laughs a little later after dinner will be able to do so with no offense to anyone and with good feelings among themselves. Just let it happen ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
How 'bout bringing your favorite bottle of wine to share and having a wine tasting social - great way to start conversation that may lead to whining. Supply very small cups. Other activities - how many WBCCI members have never visted the forums? Quick demonstration seminar might be great - think of all the untapped experience that's out there.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
How can someone find out what is on the agenda?
This idea and several others are part of a report to be presented at the Mid-winter IBT meeting in January.The report will be compiled by Renee Ettline,WBCCI Communications Liaison and Chair of the Special Committee,WBCCI Communications Advisory Network.

I'll see if I can get you some more info Richard.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Georgia keep in mind that this is about an International Rally that is a sea of trailers in very close parking lot proximity to each other, some even on pavement, a close city and no campfires of a thousand trailers and motorhomes. It isn't just like the camping you mention when you are at an International Rally. It can be an airport or a fairgrounds without camp sites. It's living in a big city like environment.With the exception of the VAC tent for their happy hours which may be located very far away from those not in that section you are parked an awnings width away from each other. So if you are looking for some elbow room you go to the main buildings or between two Airstreams.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote