Old 12-10-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Question WBCCI New Name/Logo

I know WBCCI will probably adopt a new name & logo this Jan. at the IBT meeting, but do any of you think this will actually help the club grow ...especially with the 'Boomers' & 'Gen X' group?

Old 12-10-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Yes, I asked...I was at a dinner with 2 members of the IBT board this evening & the question was asked of me. I'm below the average age of most WBCCI members . I support the Airstream name & logo change & will be at the IBT meeting, most likely I'll give my opinion at the open meeting. BUT, Will it just be a rose of another name (yet smell the same) & still have no real impact on younger members wanting to join & stay????

Old 12-10-2005, 10:47 PM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I support a name change ... and I also support a change in the way officers at the International level are "elected."

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Cardiff , California
Sad to Say...

I don't know why others won't join or stay with the club but I know why I've chosen not to renew my 1 year membership. I'm 43 years old and still working. We have two elementary school age children. I enthusiastically joined about a year ago right after we purchased our vintage unit but the schedule for our club just doesn't fit our lives. The newsletters we got seemed to indicate a tight-knit group but didn't seem to offer family style activities. It just isn't a "fit" for us as working parents. I'm sorry to let it lapse because I thought it might be great fun to connect with others who love Airstreams too, but I think my membership money would be better put to use on something else ...and I don't think that has anything to do with the name of the club.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohanastar
I don't know why others won't join or stay with the club but I know why I've chosen not to renew my 1 year membership. I'm 43 years old and still working. We have two elementary school age children. I enthusiastically joined about a year ago right after we purchased our vintage unit but the schedule for our club just doesn't fit our lives. The newsletters we got seemed to indicate a tight-knit group but didn't seem to offer family style activities. It just isn't a "fit" for us as working parents. I'm sorry to let it lapse because I thought it might be great fun to connect with others who love Airstreams too, but I think my membership money would be better put to use on something else ...and I don't think that has anything to do with the name of the club.
Ohanastar,

That is unfortunate, our unit has members from 30 something to 80 something and we all seem to get along and enjoy each others company.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:43 AM   #6
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Won't work...

I have to say that a name and logo change will do nothing for the WBCCI as a whole. Thats not the problem (in fact it will probably work against them - remember "new Coke" almost devastated Coca-Cola). The problem lies in the fact that the demographic for airstream owners is dynamic. The WBCCI is languishing because there is no longer an appeal to the family type of AS owner. It really is as Ohanastar states above. There is really nothing for the younger "On the go" family types to enjoy.

The WBCCI gives the impression of being an organization which really caters to the more senior in our society. Look at the Blue Beret - The family stories/pictures greatly lack when compared to the stories/pictures of retirees on extended vacations and award ceremonies that frankly have little value to many of us.

It is no wonder that new AS buyers who are given a complimentary membership in the WBCCI are not renewing. If you change the logo and name to try to appeal to a new demographic without changing the way you do business, you will push people further away. Imagine as a new member joining, you see this dynamic new logo and club name thinking "these people think like I do". You go to an international rally only to see that the activities offered to you (knitting demo's and such) are not the appeal you joined for.

Again - look at the August issue of the Blue Beret. On the cover is a picture of the International President and First Lady. Who cares?!? What is there to interest me? Why not have something to really interest someone like a great place to camp on the cover or some kind of great outdoor activity like stargazing for example. You want to know what really interests people who are AS enthusiasts??? Read these Forums...There are precious posts about knitting and award ceremonies.

The Blue Beret puts a story on page 10 (left hand read - sure to be lost in the publication) on the name change. This should have been front page and printed with enough time for people to respond. The statement at the bottom of the article was " Working with a short time-span" but still requested comment. By the time you read it - it's over.

Sorry for the run-on but coming from a couple who works in marketing, the WBCCI is going the wrong direction on this. Think about the membership's needs first and be sure you can actually appeal to the new membership before you think about changing the name/logo.

One more thing - the new names suggested go a long way in denying the history of the WBCCI and that will hurt (O.K. a few mention Wally). It would be far better to just start a new club if you are going to do that. A name change will not change the dynamic of the old club. And therefore will only confuse the existing members and dissuade new members who think that they are joining a progressive organization.

Want an example of a successful organization fitting the needs of it's membership - look no further than the Girl Scouts. They went from training girls to being homemakers to to an organization working on raising successful women in society. The motto they adopted was "Where girls grow strong" and they changed the way they were doing business to match (not their name or logo). End result - membership up my a wide margin. National image improves, donations go up. They meet the needs of a changing demographic without alienating the existing membership.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Another 'young' WBCCI perspective....

Hi all -

Interesting thread.

We just went to ouur first WBCCI event tonight. A Holiday Party at an local unit officers home. Being 43, I did find nearly everyone to be my senior. They were also, to a person!, very welcoming. Everyone was interested in meeting us, and our kids ( 11, 7, 3), and talking AS's and etc... There seem to be monthly lunch meeting - I was invited - and everyone certainly got along great with each other. Everyone seemed to have a blast.

I did however note that there were a number of local WBCCI people that were not at this event. Perhaps they had conflicts or ?

Have not yet been to any unit events with the trailers or seminars or whatever, but that will come.

All the above being said, I did not join WBCCI immediately when I got SilverToy, in part due to some of the things I had read ( older crowd, no activities I like/ enjoy/ fit my life, etc...) in several places, including this board. I couldn't see any big upside for myself or the family, from what I read.

While I was in JC this fall I did stop in at the WBCCI headquarters and met with Kathy Adams. What a treat she is. As a matter of fact, they all were. Then I went and took the tour at JC. Everyone there was a peach. "What the heck...", me thinks. Back to headquarters and joined. "Give I try" I think. One year grace period, or something like that.

Fast forward 2 weeks to a call from the NM unit. Kathy had passed along my name and info. Get invited. Go. Have a great time with great people at the party. Offers of inclusion and "fun and fellowship". Sounds familiar...

Seems like a BIG upside to me. The people! They certainly have a knowledge base, RIGHT HERE where I can reach out and touch it. Offers of personal help with my few issues abounded. Regaled by stories of trailers, adventures, mishaps, and more than a lot of miles and places. Even met the International treasurer - Andy.

Your individual performance may vary.

Will post again as things progress (assuming the thread is still actively being read), but I think my membership money, so far!, is getting me a BUNCH that I might not have had without joining.

My 2 cents.

Axel
Old 12-11-2005, 02:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Just my 2 cents

This is an interesting read. I bought my 1985 34' Limited when I was 28. I am 36 now. I have my wife, Zoe', and two boys who will be age 5 and 3 for the upcoming 2006 season. My first WBCCI event was the Region 1 Rally event in Vermont at the Tunbridge Fairgground in 2001. ~127 rigs in attendance, surrounded by aluminum, just married and our oldest was 3 months old. Talk about being out aged! Stanton had 50 grandparents all at once. But it was our first, and everyone was very welcoming. There was tons of Airstream knowledge there, all in one place, and many vintage units with open house. That is why I like Rallies, the open house, where I get to see what others have done. Also, the people like the last post. Growing up, I did on the back of the tractor with my grandfather driving. I spent alot of time with him, and he taught me alot....that is what I feel WBCCI has to offer up, to teach us alot. I know what it means to Respect my elders, and always have. But any Airstreamer is young at heart if you ask me. At my last Rally I hosted, Barney and Dorothea drove in. Barney was driving, and he is 87, the've been on Caravans to China in 86, and have been Airstreaming since the 60s - hey, back when my grandfather was Airstreaming with WBCCI (I have his Beret).
One other big benefit besides the People - Host a rally and you will find out - the Insurance (Liability) coverage. They cover it all! Now, one $55 fee is worth that alone! But, I know most of you don't host one, or have been to one. I'm sure the Liability covers the Caravans that Wally is famous for too!

Come to think of it, be sure to tune in, download, and listen to our www.theVAP.com 22 Dec show - it is our Christmas show - I think we cover the Essence of Airstreaming pretty well for ya! All three of us - see the Adventure in Airstreaming as the most important aspect to our Trailering enthusiasm. So, who's going on the WBCCI Capetown to Cairo Caravan (50th Anniversary) in 2009 with us? Read Wally's Trailer Travel Here and Abroad that he wrote a few years before he passed on to the Trailer Caravan in the sky....now, there were many "Older" young at heart and full of adventure Trailerites on that one.

YES.....they can do better with our dues than the "Blue Beret"! My vote and recommendation is to subsidize my Airstream Life subscription (like our WBCCI sub club - the VAC is), making the AS Life magazine a little longer with a WBCCI insert (with Rich's publication knowledge and in color) for us WBCCI members. To the WBCCI headquarters - the Blue Beret needs to "Not" cover what is already on your web site - as since it basically is a regurgitation of your www.wbcci.org site, it takes me only 3 minutes to look at it, and put it in the pile of others. Do I ever go back to it, no.... Do I ever go back to AS Life, YES.

Ok, enough going on and on. I am currently the 3rd Vice President to the Washington, DC WBCCI unit. I am also the Rally coordinator. We have a great time at Rallies, and are almost all Vintage. Unit dues is only a $1, plus your WBCCI $55 fee. Not bad! And this year, we are in Washington DC for the Cherry Blossums (April 6-9), Region 2 Rally in Gettysburg, PA (May 24-28), Pageant of Bands Rally in North Norwich, NY (June 1-4), International in Oregon over 4th of July (when Wally was born), West Virginia in July, Cape Hatteras in August, a Former President's homes Caravan in Mid September, and our Installation Rally near Philly, PA in October. Lots of fun to be had.

See you down the road!

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohanastar
I don't know why others won't join or stay with the club but I know why I've chosen not to renew my 1 year membership. I'm 43 years old and still working. We have two elementary school age children. I enthusiastically joined about a year ago right after we purchased our vintage unit but the schedule for our club just doesn't fit our lives.
We are in a similar situation as Ohanastar, kids, jobs, busy schedules, etc. We also joined WBCCI earlier this year. However, we just renewed our membership for 2006. Why? The people. We went to our first rally in August and loved it. We were only one of 3 familys with kids present. There was so much fun stuff planned, we couldn't take it all in. You gotta sleep sometime. A friend that was there, whom I met previously on this forum, who is a couple years younger than me, 47, commented that "These old folks work harder at having fun, than I do at my job". I don't know how hard he works, but he sure made a point that regardless of your age, you're as young as you feel.

The older folks at the rally made me and my family feel like their family, and just about everyone doted over my two young daughters. Is that a grandparent thing? Maybe so, but it was great. Since the rally, I've been invited to non-Airstream related events at some member's private homes and I just got a Christmas card from one of them. Nice people. I plan on going to the same rally in 2006, just to see everyone again. That's worth the dues by itself.

People! Isn't that what a club is all about?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:24 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I joined last year ,could not attend any of the rallys(My fault) most were close to me !!!I cant judge the rallys. I will attend several next year,But the Blue Beret is not much good,it needs a major revamp !!! The name change is not needed,and get rid of those silly hats,,,,,,,,,,i know tradition means a lot but come on,,,,,,
The local unit has called and wrote many times with invitations,they seem top notch.I will get to know them this spring,a rally sounds good !!!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
The name!

Welcome to Wally Byam Caravan Club,
the Airstream RV Association.

That is what the WBCCI web site says....so why change?

Unfortunately, I believe the name change vote has already been made, now the To What? is the vote on the table. People think that Caravanning is no longer the main goal....well, it is for me, I just am a working man and can't right now, but in my glory years, we will be! This club keeps people young!!! and the WBCCI was Wally's vision on adventure - to keep moving.

The name change is going to cost $$$ - over $40k. That is chump change, but it is our clubs money. Changing all the flags, unit flags, other stuff costs money. One of the BLue Berets listed the total costs with a name change. I say take all that $$$$ and make a statement to the members by offering to boost AS Life for us, and disband the Blue Beret....now, I know that the Blue Beret folks won't like that, but they will still be employed, just doing up articles / info for AS Life editor. That is just my thought. Bring back the Caravanner - Wally's newspaper.

I'll still call it WBCCI while I'm alive....anyone else think this way?
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

The name change is a waste of money and is testimony to the powers-that-be and their resistance to change.

We are life members -- important to me because my grandparents were members and active leaders long ago.

And I knew what we were getting into when we joined.

However, what stuns me is the 'clubbiness' of WBCCI. The Blue Beret is a testimony of a group stuck in the 1950s. Sure, I'd like better events for folks of our generation or for families. But more than that I'd like a club that doesn't involve medals and berets and first ladies.

The sexism of it all is perhaps the most offensive part of it to me. Where do these people come from?

Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You know what they say - a duck is still a duck - call it what you want but its still a duck - so I don't see that point of a name change..... Often times I see large organizations do some window dressing in hopes/or instead of change without ever addressing core issues.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Well, something like "Airstream Caravan Club" (ACC) would be easier to remember than what WBCCI stands for. Plus it melds the product with the organization. Blue beret's seem to indicate some type of militaristic organization, which is not generally PC in this day and age. The Blue Beret magazine is quite unpleasant to read, with it's newsprint pages and all it's numbers and codes for caravans. Full page ads for air ambulance services are not what most middle aged people are used to looking at and are a turn off to me. Perhaps advertisements for pickup trucks or Camping World would be more appropriate. Not to steal Rich's thunder, but if the Beret were more like his magazine, it might help the organization draw potential new members.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote