Old 12-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #71

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
I think that the people on this forum would be a great group to camp and party with. Perhaps we should arrange something like that.

Well check the schedule. This coming June will be our 4th annual Moraine View Midwest Forums rally. There are a few other Forum rallies which have been going on a few years also. You are all welcome. Last year our furthest unit (Big Al) came from Canada. This year's rally will have an interesting twist that I'll announce early in February.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I've been around about a year +/- (I just paid up again in Oct or November) and I know I never received a ballot to vote on anything. If you can give me the details and time frame, I'd sure appreciate it. That should clear up a lot of my disbelief as to how things have gotten this far.
__
65GT: Your vote on the name change issue would have been cast at your local WBCCI Unit level, likely in Fall 2004. Based on local unit voting results, your local unit president then would have voted for or against the name change proposal at the following WBCCI Regional Meeting. Based on the voting results at Regional level, the twelve Regional Representatives then voted for or against the name change issue at the July 2005 International Rally. The WBCCI is a representational democracy. Unlike Chuck Schumer, you don't get to vote individually on every issue.

You should ask your local unit for the date on which, and place where, its unit members voted for or against the name change. You can then determine, and please share with all of us, why you (apparently) did not participate in your local unit vote on the name change issue.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:09 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Speaking of voting - I may be mistaken - but I was under the impression that the vote is not coming at the local level until the Spring Rally/Meeting.

I do not remember exactly what was said at our meeting in the Fall - but there was definitely mention of the word "Airstream" possibly being added to the Club name. We were asked to think on it and discuss it with fellow members and come prepared to vote in the Spring - apparently a name will be provided for us to vote on.

Our unit vote is then supposed to be taken to the Region - of which then goes to the International in June/July.....is it not???

One last point a name change does not improve or correct any issues within the club to it's existing members. And for those who think this is an attempt to correct all those inadequacies of the club - well you are dreaming in techni-colour. If nothing else it may improve exposure, identity, towards the club by new potential members and "corporate partners".

Someone mentioned about this forum being the ideal club - yes we discuss a lot of great ideas, many have had a chance to attend some pretty cool Rallies - but to tote the 10,000 number might be a bit missleading.

Of the 10,000 how many are really active, how many of them are 1 posters, and how many could be dropped off the list with no activity over 2 years???
Old 12-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Called them

I called www.wbcci.org today. The lady wasn't very helpful....just that everything will be answered at the BOARD meeting at the Winter Fiesta Rally in Texas.

She stated that the decision to change the name has been made, to do so, now at the Board room, they will vote on the names....

I bet they go with this one: Airstream owners Association Inc.

Any other takers....listen to our VAP (www.theVAP.com) show on the 22nd, you'll be sorry if you miss it!

Happy Holidays everyone!

http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:32 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
The good news is I saved a lot of money on my insurance!!!!!!!!Pieman
Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921

Someone mentioned about this forum being the ideal club - yes we discuss a lot of great ideas, many have had a chance to attend some pretty cool Rallies - but to tote the 10,000 number might be a bit missleading.

Of the 10,000 how many are really active, how many of them are 1 posters, and how many could be dropped off the list with no activity over 2 years???
I'm about to bust your bubble. Do this with any club, run the numbers... so many paid members, so many unpaid, or lapsed members, so many members come to meetings, so many volunteers to help with club activities. How many attended more than two meetings? And the killer.... how many showed up for the free Christmas party? And brought their families! How many pay thier dues, but only attend free functions?
I know a local veterans groups with 140 paid members. They are lucky to get seven out to meetings! Lucky to get five to do a party for nursing home residents. But by golly! Last week, sixty three came to the members Christmas Party, and had the club buy their meal!
It makes no difference what kind of club, these things are pretty consistant.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 12-15-2005, 01:01 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Exact same dynamic in ....

Cedars et al -

This is the EXACT same dynamic in every volunteer organization I have ever been a part of - either as leadership, spectator, helper or volunteer. Everyone shows for the 'free stuff' and nobody has time for when "help" or "work" is needed. They all look at the floor, talk about sick relatives ( maybe they are, maybe the aren't!) or answer pagers that aren't going off.....

Sorry, said I wouldn't post again on this but this issue really gets my blood going and I can't keep that promise.... Sigh.

As a matter of fact, I have after 20+ years of volunteerism, decided to walk away from most organizations I have volunteered to, sadly to see that several have died - and most have flourished under new and "better", certainly different, leadership.

Me showing I can't be quiet means about this issue, I care!!!! After all....

All this discussion is GREAT but will it lead to MORE involvement after the initial broohaa is over... Kind of like the banquet.... The people all fade into the woodwork again.

Will things ever change !????

Sign me off, again,

Axel
Old 12-15-2005, 08:52 AM   #78

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Requesting input and taking a vote to a name change are two completely different things. You canít change the club name Ė a name thatís been around for 50 years without a vote by the membership as a whole. You can say thatís not in the bylaws Ė but this is a MAJOR change for the club.STINK!

__
While this issue can be made that we aren't individually voting for the chosen name, and this is something I would like to see, the fact remains that the survey asked a yes/no question as to whether you believed that there should be a name change , the majority of the responders said yes and this was mailed to every member within their Blue Beret. I feel the International was acting within its bounds by pursuing this based on the responses from individual members.

Obviously our unit was made aware also and we supported that change and advised our unit representative to support a change. To me your real question is to your local unit President as to how they disseminated this info locally.

Those who chose not to respond to the survey can't complain that they had no input. I welcomed the fact that leadership attempted to get the pulse of the membership.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 12-15-2005, 08:56 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Not trying to be in a bubble - (but it sounds like I live in a box!) if the "vote" groundwork for a final name change is well on it's way - meaningn Cedars - I guess 70%?? were not at the banquet.

Silver Toy you keep signin right on. The reason these "Orgs" dwindle is because people "quite".

I guess we are in a catch 22.

The older members don't volunteer any more - because they have done their bit for king and country

The younger ones don't volunteer (not because they are too busy!!!) because the don't want to volunteer to run something they don't like doing.

So it leaves (many people like you guys here on this forum - not all though) to try and keep things going - volunteer, babysit and mediate as well as try and have a good time - it too can be a tall order and hence more volunteers losts.

I really don't care either way on the Name - as it will have no bearing on what has gone on in this organzation and will not improve all the problems. It may give the "longtimers" one more things to say - see they have made another change. But that is about it. If it was so clearly important to them as well then where are their voices to.

If it turns out to be a dictatorship within the club - then folks there will be a bigger problem than a name change on our hands - there will be a coup

That may start here but should filter all the way down to the Units - and I totally agree that everyone should have a right to vote on this. So if you do not want to see the name changed then submitt a the name WBCCI as your units suggestion (if we even have that opportunity) for those who want change add in the A sumwhere that it will flow like WBACCI - I mean really how many times is the acrynym ever said in full.

I just mentioned to a Stoney Lake Ladies Lunch that we belonged to the Wally Byam Caravan Club International and before I could get the next word in - they were killing themselves laughing that it sounded like I belonged to a club with a Grand Pooobaaaa! It was brought up in the context of discussing whether to make our own Red Hat Society Charter......

Again just my two cents.... and now I will be writing a letter to my Unit Pres to question what exactly has he been shown about the Name Change process. Since obviously I was stuffing my mouth with cake at the time it came up at a meeting - or maybe we were late and still parking the rig????
Old 12-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera

Those who chose not to respond to the survey can't complain that they had no input. I welcomed the fact that leadership attempted to get the pulse of the membership.

Jack

Jack point well made....but there is another small point - we on the average receive our BB about 8 weeks later than the date it is sent out. I think they wait to get everyones out there and if they have enough then send them across the border - not sure if we had a chance to respond.

Then on a second note - surveys are to lay the ground work - for a full discusion and take a minimum of a year to follow through. A survey is but a sampling of the membership in any org - and the next big step is to get or shoot for majority responses - not a majority of the responses received.

And then again - it may be a moot point anyway - as those people who are active in this club and pay attention to it's administration, obviously read everything and attend as much as they can - have "spoken". So on that point we may be waisting time crying over spilt milk - and better get in there for the new name development - or we could end up with something well lets not even go there...
Old 12-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #81

Fenton , Missouri
Peter, I completely understand your thoughts. I'm just happy to see something new come from the International.....anything that just shows that someone wants to stir the pot and that there is some thinking process beyond issues of when you wear red jackets.

From my viewpoint this is a make or break year for our local unit. We've been netting one new member a year for the past few years and we gotten pretty stale. This is in contrast to a local dealer who sells more Airstream trailers than any dealer in the country. Obviously we are not doing the job on retention since the folks doing the recruiting get the name of every new Airstream owner.

Our new president wants to shake things up, and to do that our youngest member couple and Patty and I volunteered to do two rallys which counter the old school way's of what we have done in the past. We will see who shows but I can guarantee you that my rally will have no 7:30 AM breakfast nor will we have the mandatory 4:00 PM social hour where everyone is encouraged to bring a snack to share. I also am breaking a few other unit traditions with the absence of a unit business meeting.

I'll either be an outcast after this or maybe a new core of membership who will ask for more of this new style.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera

.....From my viewpoint this is a make or break year for our local unit. We've been netting one new member a year for the past few years and we gotten pretty stale. This is in contrast to a local dealer who sells more Airstream trailers than any dealer in the country. Obviously we are not doing the job on retention since the folks doing the recruiting get the name of every new Airstream owner. ....

Jack
Not sure if you meant to but I think this is a very crucial point in the thinking of changing the name. Where is the best place to promot joining the "Club" to people who have NO idead of the history....yet. But as a saleperson it is a pretty hard sell if the name of the clube does not have the name of the product in it - a little different view point from my early post and sports names.

Quick sales folks that is what our society is about - so to explain WBCC
I might be a tall order - but pop the name of the rig you just bought in their now you have touch on a good cord with the new owners - something they can immediately relate too.

Then if people would just shut up about all the crapy things in this club and those into camping and what not - volunteer to be that new persons buddy - and the two of you go camping - then three then four and so on. Then you can let them make up their minds once they get to a big Rally.

Instead of saying this is crap - say we are working on making the club/unit more fun for people our age group and with various interests - and get them in the fold right away - the NEW fold that is.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Family Feud

And the survey says...

----DING----

We had the opportunity to camp with many unit members at our forum rally in Otisville. I did get involved with that. A lot of our Northern unit resides in Florida this time of year. There is even a luncheon there. But come spring if there is not a conflict with our trips I hope to hookup with them again.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:00 AM   #84

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Instead of saying this is crap - say we are working on making the club/unit more fun for people our age group and with various interests - and get them in the fold right away - the NEW fold that is.
That's my key point to our folks. Our local WBCCI rally structure is so ridged and formal that those who volunteer are tired both from the setup and planning to the execution required once they get to the rally. The older folks are tired since they shoulder the burden and get tired of dealing with the structure that the rally format has evolved to, and the younger members don't want any part of it. What should be fun becomes a chore.

You soon learn that if you do volunteer, you get paired up with an old timer who shows you "how to do a rally", and it goes on and on. Most of the new folk soon learn that you better not show up at the next few rallys since you will get that call to be the next sponsor. I told my folks that I wasn't interested unless I got to call the shots and do the rally the way I wanted. Hence my call for the coming year.

I've told them that as a working person, a rally is a mini vacation for me. That means no hard schedule, no awaking at dawn and nobody calling me on the cell phone asking me "where are you and why aren't we at the social hour?" (yes that has happened to me)...and the inevitable tours to the local points of interest.

That's what is so fun about the Forum rallies is that while we are there for the fellowship, same as WBCCI, none of us have that expectation that we need to be entertained, directed, or fed. Yea, we have a slight bit of organization but I can tell you that I've never been to a WBCCI rally that sat around a campfire and showed movies on the side of a vintage trailer, by means of an LCD projector and lap top computer, with another attendee poping pop corn for everyone in their microwave.

Jack

AIR #56