Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2005, 10:28 PM   #101

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
That's all well and good Jack, BUT...

What is the majority of responders? How many went out, how many came back, and out of those what was for change and what was against?

A number of people here are saying they never even knew about this. I'd love to see this ballot. I can't even figure out what it could say that anyone could respond in the positive without knowing what exactly they'd be getting in return. A couple of dozen folks are going to come up with a name and select to change the club name based on that small group?

If you've got more details, sling 'em out there, but this just sounds like twilight zone material to me. Of course I say that NOT having the details...

__
Well I went back and it was Feb 2004 that the survey went out in the Blue Berets. Unfortunately I don't have the original questions since I sent the survey in. Read this thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=wbcci+survey and it will give you some of the thoughts. I'll have to look since the Blue Beret also published a summary of the results. I think the July or August 2004 issue contains them. Maybe someone has that and can paraphrase the results. Note if you have $6 to spend, the folks at Headquarters will send you a 49 page report of the results on a CD.

I think from this you will understand the what led to the name change decision.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:55 PM   #102

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think we'd all be mighty surprised if Wally got revived! YIKES!

I guess if enough members felt like this was a bad change and not what the club honestly wanted (you know, hanging chads and whatnot), they could make a proposal to change it back to the WBCCI, get it voted on, and change it back!

I'm vintage, I have a new fridge, and I'm all for a name change (unless it's just as stuffy and long-winded as the current name, then they may as well leave it alone).

I'm NOT in favor of inviting the other thor products to come play with us. I mean, I'm sure they're nice and all, but then what's the point of having a club? They'd just all feel jealous as we trotted out our antique trailers that are good as new while their three year old white-boxes were deteriorating and being used as kindling in the campfire

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Old Berets Never Die .....

Quote:
So maybe the rest of us should take a slight offshoot of that one and preserve the history and the beginning. Start a Wally Byam Adventurers' Club or something. Get back to the past without all the by-laws and start anew. Heck, if it's all volunteers, and there are some volunteers that know how to work (I know someone that can get stickers made!! Woo Hoo!) you could probably subsidize the whole thing through merchandise sales with little to no dues -- okay minimal dues. Heck, bring the entire past with us and up the ante with senior member discounts, unique numbers (mounted on removable plastic sheets) per trailer, form an alliance with a well known vintage full-color magazine to get discounted subscriptions for members. …a chicken in every pot.... …a hamster in every cage... the possibilities are endless! Hmmm... Blue Berets...

Maybe starting a new club is what's needed here. Maybe if the WBCCI tosses Wally, we toss them...
65GT: Are you a member of the Vintage Airstream Club? If not, you will find most of your suggestions have already been implemented by the VAC. And I have very strong suspicions that Wally will never die in the hearts, minds, or on the heads of VAC members. If the WBCCI's new name wholly excludes Wally, you can bet your beret that many VAC members will only hoist Wally and his adventures higher. More, not fewer, "Wally Byam CARAVAN" stickers will appear on the end caps of vintage trailers. Old worn blue berets will sprout up at rallies like mushrooms. Some prefer to move forward towards the future, while others rejoice and revel in the past. The golden age of Airstream Caravanning will never be forgotten, no matter what direction or name the mother club takes in the near future. The VAC parade has been marching backwards for over 10 years .... please join in!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:55 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Go Fred Go

65GT,

I concur with Fred. If you are not a VAC member, you should join. Almost all of the WDCU unit is VAC, and we have alot of fun. Wally will never leave the VAC hearts or minds!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:11 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
65gt----I just looked at your profile and saw your picture. You're a young feller!!!!! what are you getting all worked up about at this age???? You won't live long enough to enjoy retirement like me if you don't calm down. Let them folks screw this thing up all they want. You don't have to be part of anything to have a great time with others who have the same interest you do. I don't have an old one, Airstream, but I think we could share a Steak and Baked potato over some campfire coals without either joining anything. ------------
Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:18 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Come on up GT

GT,

Come on up in June to central NY, June 1-4, to my Pageant of Bands Rally - a Washington, DC unit WBCCI rally...you'll have fun! It is in North Norwich, NY.

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 12-16-2005, 08:33 PM   #107
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I agree, it should be funny coats and red hats.
Or those fake glasses with the big noses and fake mustaches on them. Then, we'd all look like we think alike!
Old 12-16-2005, 09:43 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
65GT,

Althought you cannot sign up online, you can obtain the application here: http://www.airstream.net/VACMembershipNewApp.pdf
Print it out, include a check, you know what they are , put a stamp on the envelope, if you have one, if not they can be purchased at the post office, I think you can order them online and mail it to Scott.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #109

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Stephanie -- I think the stuffy name is merely perception -- packaging. It's really not a stuffy name. I put something together just for you. Not a huge effort, but one that may make a name not seem so stuffy. I would suggest to you that if I changed the name Adventurers' to Caravan, it would still have that Indiana Jones type of feel and may even make the club name (hold on now), cool...
Ha ha ha, that was Excellent! Why, it does seem totaly cool to me now! I want to be a Caravanner too!

I totally agree with you about Dodge City. We drove way out of our way on our trip to OK to swing through Dodge City just because we saw it on the map. We get there and walked around for about an hour an left. "Oh, part of it burned down, then we tore the rest of the historic buildings down in the 60s because they were ugly and replaced them with nice modern 60s style buildings." What about the cemetery? "Well, we relocated that. But you can go to the museum and see a 3/4 scale recreation of town." Uh, no thanks! Possibly the most dissapointing 'historic' destination we've ever stopped at! That's definitly a town that should have seen the value of their history before they flattened it.

Old 12-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Virtural Caravanning to arrive soon near you ...

Quote:
So many steps... 1) Click 2) Print 3) Find Pen 4) Remember how to print 5) Find envelope 6) More printing 7) Find check 8) More printing 9) find stamp 10) deliver. With just two more steps we could have qualified this as a 12 step recovery program. I live in a world of click, autofill, click? Damn...__
65GT: It's a tough world out there, so buck up for the journey. But not to worry .... coming soon to a computer near you (and perhaps even on your lap -- dance for joy!) is the Wally Byam Virtural Caravanning Club. No laborious trailer rennovation, no messy packing and forgetting to take something, no hitching or weight distribution travails, no traffic snarls, no worrying about services when traveling over desolate desert roads, and no having to put up with noisy neighbors (just reduce the volume slide). Yes folks, it's Virtural Airstreaming! Just click and caravan to wherever your heart desires from the comfort of your den. Realistic 3d imaging takes you there! Birdseye overhead travel can be dropped down to highway level with a few rolls of the mouse ... program the trip for fast and efficiency point to point blazing, or throttle back for a week of lazy noodling.

Our basic package includes the U.S.A. and all National and State Parks, complete with the latest highway construction updates. Regional background music heightens your travel experience. Programmable levels of difficulity and breakdowns match the trip to your temperment. Autofill inserts appropriate simulated sights and sounds for a more realisitic virturality, including 12 different motorbike and bullhorn appearances by Wally. Autosave preserves trip coordinates and associated data for retrieval from our servers for fond memory uploading during your Golden Years (prepaid accounts only). A turbo boost upload module is available for those with Altzheimers and supplies increased signal strength and includes a circle-loop endless playback setting.

Extra cost optional overseas travel modules are available for the more adventureous, and include university approved social programs for correctly interacting with various cultures. The Vincent Price popups can be easily disabled for a seamless foreign travel experience.

Currect location teardrops are pre-programmed to give false readings, throwing collection agencies and stalkers off track. Our actual information blocker permits only fictitious screen names for anonomyous voyaging. Our log deleter subroutine assures that what happens in your den stays in your den.

Available only online by clicks and rolls ... downloadable only from our secure servers. No mussy DVD's to unpack, unwrap, place in tray, push and load. Any attempt at a reality based form of ordering or payment will automatically be blocked by our reality scanner. ACT NOW!! and order your Wally Byam Virtural Caravanning Club software by linking to our website at www.WBVCC. SSSSSSSSSSSSZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... ..

POWER SURGE DETECTED .... CONNECTION LOST ... PROGRAM ERROR ... PERMANENTLY GIVING UP ON ATTEMPTING TO RECONNECT ... BYE BYE!
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 12-17-2005, 10:41 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
FRED---dO
Old 12-17-2005, 10:56 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
FRED---Do we have to have our WBCCI membership current before we can be "Virturalist". Also I'm not sure I like the name of this organization. I know "Virtural" has been with us since the begining and expresses the spirit of the club from the time it was originated but it fails to include the name of it's founder. May I suggest ,FCVCCI. { Fred Coldwell Virtural Caravan Club}. I'm wondering if we could have a Virtural Survey sent out from the Virtural Headquarters to get the consensus concerning this name change.------------Pieman
Old 12-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Fred ~

Too much coffee this morning or not enough?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:40 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
FRED---Do we have to have our WBCCI membership current before we can be "Virturalist". Also I'm not sure I like the name of this organization. I know "Virtural" has been with us since the begining and expresses the spirit of the club from the time it was originated but it fails to include the name of it's founder. May I suggest ,FCVCCI. { Fred Coldwell Virtural Caravan Club}. I'm wondering if we could have a Virtural Survey sent out from the Virtural Headquarters to get the consensus concerning this name change.------------Pieman
Mike:

I recently held a seance with Wally and he instructed me to use his name for this new free-spirited club. I take no credit; after all, I'm only the channeller, the earth bound instrument of his divine directions.

As for membership prerequisites, no, you don't have to be burdened with a WBCCI membership to join. And, you can choose virtually any membership number you wish! Because this virtuous new club will exist in an infinite number of space/time continuums, we can have duplicate membership numbers as long as they never share the same space/time coordinate. That unfortunate event would produce a black hole which would take cosmic polishing efforts to remove, and both identical membership numbers would get wiped out in the process.

As for policies and procedures, well, you'll have to contact VHQ, who can also supply you, electronically of course, with an upload of the latest Virtural Survey. Finally, because the operation of this virtural Caravan Club will be highly poll-driven, you can expect there will be a lot of VS!
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 12-17-2005, 06:05 PM   #115

1968 17' Caravel
Thanks for the graphic, Lou, it rocks Now I'm a little dissapointed they want to change it.

I was at the unit Christmas Luncheon today and Jim Franklin from Region 10 brought these samples of the new logo the comittee has chosen. They will be presented at the IBT meeting in Jan, and then voted on at International. So I guess if people don't want the name to change, there is still time to try to organize a movement to stop it and keep things the same. Jim said that he has heard a lot of grousing about the changes, but that only 17% of people bothered to vote in the first place, and apparently the majority of those voted for change.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2005, 06:12 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
I was right

AOA, I guessed that was what it was going to be back on Post 81. I don't care for it. So, with AOA, I guess the Base Camp will be allowed. The lady at WBCCI said right now it wasn't allowed at WBCCI...that they were going to vote in Jan to allow it or not....but if it is AOA, how can in not be allowed, it has the name Airstream on it, right?

I still like WBC...Wally Byam Caravanners!
Courtesy parking

Old 12-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #117

1968 17' Caravel
Who knows how many people are currently in the club? I'm wondering just how many votes 17% is.

Old 12-17-2005, 07:18 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
New Graphic

Thanks for keeping us informed Stephanie. It's great to be able to get the latest updates.

What does everyone think of the proposed graphic? And what would be the proper procedure to have input on the decision?

Quote:
I was at the unit Christmas Luncheon today and Jim Franklin from Region 10 brought these samples of the new logo the comittee has chosen. They will be presented at the IBT meeting in Jan, and then voted on at International. So I guess if people don't want the name to change, there is still time to try to organize a movement to stop it and keep things the same. Jim said that he has heard a lot of grousing about the changes, but that only 17% of people bothered to vote in the first place, and apparently the majority of those voted for change.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:26 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
And less than that for a name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Who knows how many people are currently in the club? I'm wondering just how many votes 17% is.
If the majority of 17% voted for the name change less than that number of voters were actually for it.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:08 PM   #120
_

. , .
hard to believe it,

but i just had a nearly rational thought........

take a look at the blue hat mag and most other places where the wbcci is spelled out in full, the 2nd line (subheading) is "the recreational vehichle club of airstream owners"....

yes, i realize this has already been mentioned.......

BUT
what if the new name sort of swapped lines.....in other words put wally's name in the 2nd line......which would keep it as part of offical name but without leading........

something like.....

"airstream recreational vehicle owners club" (arvoc)
the "wally baum's caravan club international" (wbcci)

or.....

aoa
wbcci

of course we could just go with t.a.c.i.
(thor's airstream club ingrates)

or some other lame first line with the wbcci dropping down to line 2....this would keep wally in the mix, pay tribute to the original name and yet allow for the word airstream to move up...........

offically i'm against any name change that's been proposed. this really isn't a new issue......i recall complaints about the name from dealers/newbies 25 years ago....but the old fart members were much stronger then & better organized and had better numbers to squash the youngin' new fangled ideas..........

the truth is very few people know how to pronounce wally's last name and that has always made newbies uneasy.....this is the REAL issue......hell i've met many airstream sales staff who can't pronounce it correctly.......

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote