Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5
Although we are not members, we had thoroughly planned on joining...until we read an issue of the Blue Beret. I am sorry...I grew up in the 1950's, but this group has not moved beyond the sexism that existed back then. Single men and women now own and tow Airstreams. How do they fit in with WBCCI and their activities? It seems like the folks running the group are trying too hard to hang on to the culture of the past, while not advancing with the times! Although I am a woman, I don't enjoy dressing up, knitting, or cooking (except when necessary, and usually alongside my spouse). I think many of these events were developed to keep the women occupied. I prefer to spend my time hiking, watching wildlife, and photographing what catches my eye. I don't need someone to come up with things for me to do.

I thoroughly enjoy reading about Wally and his caravans, and I think the name change would be a big mistake. Perhaps instead they should take a look at what attracts people to the Airstream Forums Rallies and what turns them off to WBCCI. With their groups found nationwide, perhaps worldwide, I would love to belong to such a group....but not until some internal changes happen.

BUMP...next?
Warbler5,

Since you live in Northern California, why don't you attend a NoCal Rally and then let us know if you feel the same way.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Thank you all so far...
As posted, I was asked this very question by a voting member of the IBT & also asked to present my findings at the IBT open meeting in Jan.
Please continue to post your feelings, opinions, facts, & fiction!! I believe we can have an impact on the future path of the club.

(FYI: The IBT - International Board of Trustees - is the governing board of WBCCI)
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
well

"Please continue to post your feelings, opinions, facts, & fiction!! I believe we can have an impact on the future path of the club."

Since you put it that way...I'm game to give my personal view.

I think promotion would be the best avenue to take to actually bring about response. As it's been said repeatedly the pre-retirement folk are busy. But it represents more than when rallies are held or how long caravans last and cost. Everyone is busy. Younger people value their time, committment and energy and thereby necessitate budgeting it. It isn't surprising to find that someone doesn't want to "use up" a week-end or holiday to travel to an event that does not appear to be interesting. WBCCI needs some hype and then they need to stand behind it and actually offer more than comradery. I think there may be a fair amount of people who barely have time to see their closest friends regularly. Younger people aren't looking for something to do, they are being asked right and left to make time to fit more in their schedules. If you want a draw you have to be fun and exciting, perhaps even unique. You have to offer an experience that is one not to be missed. Nostalgia is good for a bit but repetition is stale.

I read my Blue Beret, I have gone to rallies. I have not made time to go to a luncheon or dinner though. I need from the publication and unit news more than a bulletin than who is sick and who has died and who has quit and who attended the last luncheon. I don't want to see form after form of coupon pages to be filled out. I want to see pictures and promos with details of times ahead and times past with a web address to make the deal in real time not snail mail.

My two cents worth.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:42 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
I wish WBCCI would make the numbers smaller so that they could be applied to the windows of a trailer. I am not putting my numbers on my $35,000 camper because I do not want the finish ruined. Also, why not issue small numbers and club stickers for members to put on tow vehiciles? Think of all the name recognition lost because we only put stickers on our campers (well those of us that will put stickers on our camper). Most of us drive our tow vechiles all the time and only pull our campers sometimes.

I think a name change is fine because Airstream is a more recogized name than Wally Byam. Wally was a forward thinker and we should be, too.

Unfortunately, based on the Regional I attended and the Blue Beret, the club is definately stuck in the fifities. Of course, it is the older full-timers that have the time to run the club, so until the next generation sets-up, that is the way it will stay. I do think the format of the Blue Beret is awful. The officier reports and regional activity updates are way lame. I have stopped reading it. I like the suggestion made above that it should focus more on travel destinations.

The good news is that the members of the Delmarva Unit are a great group of people who I enjoy spending time with!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
and by promotion I don't mean...

an aggressive campaign of tearing out forms and depositing them in the hands of everyone who does not bear numbers on their unit. As a first-timer with a complimentary membership I had serious doubts and reservations when I was repeatedly approached with magazines and books (and rules) with what I can only equate to as a religious fervor.

photography
Old 12-11-2005, 08:50 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I say the name needs to change. It's time to relabel the club to the product and fan-base that it represents - Airstream. We aren't Wally fans. Thanks for starting the club, but it's time for it to move on. Nobody outside of the club knows who Wally is anymore (I don't know if they ever did, or if his celebrity was always contained within the club). Either way, this isn't a cult of personality, it's an Airstream club, and that's what it should be called.

Never again should a member have to say "I'm going to a WBCCI rally", a statement that is always followed by "What's the WBCCI?" Don't you realize normal people just laugh when you say "Wally Byam"? It just sounds so old (no offence to anyone named Wally), it sounds like a club right out of, and still in, the 50s!

So change the name, it's a good start. That alone might help more people decide they want to be involved, since it doesn't look like a bunch of Wally Worshipers. Then fix the Blue Beret (but that's a whole 'nother thread). And please lose the berets, that's another Wally worship thing.

Change will come, but people have to be willing to take it in small steps, and I think this is seriously a step in the right direction.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Since you live in Northern California, why don't you attend a NoCal Rally and then let us know if you feel the same way.
I may give it a try, Bill, but it seems like so many of the meetings are not really rallies. It also appears that very few of the NoCal WBCCI units do not yet have web sites, so it's tough to figure out their schedules. I try to go to the desert every year....maybe I can look into a SoCal unit rally to attend . It does appear to me that not all units are created equal....

I just enjoy camping, and it's nice to camp with a group of Airstreamers.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 12-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5
I may give it a try, Bill, but it seems like so many of the meetings are not really rallies. It also appears that very few of the NoCal WBCCI units do not yet have web sites, so it's tough to figure out their schedules. I try to go to the desert every year....maybe I can look into a SoCal unit rally to attend . It does appear to me that not all units are created equal....

I just enjoy camping, and it's nice to camp with a group of Airstreamers.
Warbler5,

Specifically, I was talking about the Northern California Unit, there web site is : http://wbcci12.org/norcal/index.html They put the newsletter and schedule online. It is not updated for 2006 yet, but there is some contact information on the site.

As you stated, not all units are created equal, each one has its own personality. If you come down here, let me know.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
There's Nor-Cal and Norcal...

I always enjoy WBCCI threads for the passion and excitement they generate.. After similar experiences with aircraft type clubs, a sailing club, and now WBCCI, I'd like to share a couple observations as well...

1. Airstream Inc is trying to influence the National, and so are a couple staffers, but the leadership, as pictured on the cover of Blue Beret, are pretty firmly camped in the 1960's.. Rather than vent, I proposed "outsourcing" magazine to professional publishers, who can include articles, schedules and ads and turn out good work for no expense.. REJECTED..
2. The WBCCI Website should be primary schedule/signup vehicle for rallies and events.. It's not really up to it these days and acts mostly as static e-billboard...
3. As for Chapters or Units, there are good ones and poor ones.. Based on reports here, Western WA and New England and Northern VA are good.. Silicon Valley ironically not so good.. (All officers live 50 miles or more from county supposed to be HQ, all over 70, none internet savvy, only a handful can mange e-mail.. Few rallies held are for fairgrounds from Thurs to Sun morning, breakfast at 7, lights out at 9PM... SIGH...)
4. Many of the chapters now are aging and struggling.. Look at number of National "Event" rallies run by units and being dropped for overwhelming their aging memberships: Indy 500, Albuquerque Balloon Festival, Oshkosh AirVenture, Kentucky Derby and after this year the Rose Parade Rally..
5. If Norcal Unit of WBCCI can offer fun events, and locations manageable, then try one.. Nor-Cal Forum group is going to continue doing 3 to 4 Rallies a year separate from WBCCI, and maybe more, and we've been told we can't be a Unit under WBCCI rules unless everyone joins them...

In sum, if you are near less good chapter or unit, save your dues money and find forum events, or else gang up with some like-minded friends and take over the local unit politically.. If you have a good one, enjoy! As for us, we're going to skip the big numbers, flags and ceremonies, but stay affiliated hoping to participate in some of the national events and perhaps join some other events held near us by units other than our own... We are going to try Salem (first time for everything..) only because it's just a long day's drive away..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Opinions asked(?) for, here they are....

Hi all -

As I said previously, very interesting thread. Probably the best general interest thread I've read of late.

Opinions asked for, so here I go...

I personally like the Wally Byam name in the club name. He did 'found' the movement with aluminum and that is worth quite a bit, in my book. Yes, others don't have a clue as to who he is or why WE care ( if we do) - but that right there is a great oportunity to educate someone on the joys of camping (generic), on Airstreams (easy!), and on the general atmosphere of belonging to a club of like minded folks - assuming they think like you do.

Think about it, 99% of the SOB campers are sitting around in their folding chairs reading or grilling or whatever, they are NOT talking with a guy 2 sites over that has the same or similar unit, or even brand. There just isn't that LOVE of ASin, aluminum, whatever it is for you, that makes you nuts about AS's and their owners, talking about them, ogling, etc.... Hence your presence here.

Now, saying that I like the WB name, doesn't mean I am married to it. Something with Airstream in the name would work OK too, IMO. It is more about what other have mentioned, making the whole shootin' match more relavent to the members time available, interests, family connections and so forth than a name, badges, beret, whatever.

If the name change is going to cost 40k or whatever and it is going to actually MAKE the club move into the present day ( web access, relevency, and of interest to advertisers) than go for it, with my blessings. If however, it is just a smoke screen and more of the same, than what, EXACTLY! is the point?

Then again, folks, we are talking about $55 a year here. Where does $55 figure into what you are spending for winterizing, campfees and memberships, accessories and etc per year on your unit currently!? Peanuts!!! Now, are you getting your dollars worth out of the Blue Beret - what else is there other than the red numbers and the directory? I think that we can all safely agree that there isn't much there on a national level. But Why?

Is it the club itself? Is it the BB? Is it the lame coupons? The Obits? The "4 o'clocks" info? Stuck in the 50's? Sexist? The ads?

What??? EXACTLY is it that you don't like!?!????

This is the same lament that folks that run other orgs have, like cooperhawk (sorry, not trying to single you out) - if you don't like the way something you care about is run, organized or done - get OFF your a** and DO SOMETHING about it. Bitching won't help. I did that with my sons Cub Scout troop, his kids minor league baseball, daughters Girl Scouts, etc.... All are arguably better now for involvement - mine and other peoples.

There is no substitute for getting involved. There are a MILLION opportunities to do so, both locally and nationally - newsletter, rallies, events, seminars - you name it! Don't like it?? DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT that doesn't involve sitting about and complaining.

When it is all said and done - we/ I am in this for the people.

The guy/gal that you talk to that has the same unit your parents did.... The guy that just fixed his dump valve which is lieke yours.... The folks that have kids in the same age range as your own... The guy that backed a unit into an 'impossible' camp spot... The couple that has a "Shiny" unit you wish you had.... I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Yes, I think that a 'new' BB with web interfaces, and updated links every day/week would be great! Yes, I think that new 'events' or 'seminars' would be worth a lot to me personally! I do think that lots of events that I could get to within 1 days drive would be awesome!

But, for me, it all comes down to meeting, getting to know, liking, and admiring those that have AS pasts, have numerous trailers, info, and "fun and fellowship" that make it worth my $55 a year. Yes, they are older and have different ideas about a lot of things, but that right there is an interesting jumping off point for me.... Your personal experience may vary!

Sorry for running on, but this thread have made me realize (again!) that people are what life is all about. Without those connections to people, just like family, well you are just another somebody out in the world. With Airstream, I have a connection to my fellow Airstreamer - just like with family.

That is something to be valued, cultivated and enjoyed. It's there! use it. WBCCI is a way to do that. It may be 'broken', but it is fixable with a namechange or whatever. Bottom line, get involved! Without that all is lost, name change or not.

My 2 cents, again.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
One question I have is, will the VAC (Vintage Airstream Club) will be okay if and/or, when, the 'new' 'WBACCI or the 'WBAOCC' or the 'WBAC', or the 'AOCC' or the 'ARVA' or the 'ACC' or the 'AOA' or the 'AOC' or the 'AC', bombs?

We joined the WBCCI for the nostalgia, camaraderie and knowledge, as well as, to be a part of the VAC. They really seem to have their act together. Information is clearly presented, the graphic materials are beautiful and modernly historic and the pride and smiles portrayed in most of the rally and event photos are inspiring. Dawning a blue beret at a vintage event appears to be highly appropriate and genuinly cheery!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:36 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
VAC as part of WBCCI!!!?????

Reading the last post I got the impression that VAC is part of - or a subset of the WBCCI. As far a I know, it isn't!!????????? Correct me if I'm wrong but maybe I am wrong here. OR maybe you have to a WBCCI member to be able to be a VAC member, or maybe something else entirely....... I am verklempt.....talk amoungst yourselves............

If that is the case, will that brings a truly wideopen and widereaching change that seems to be the objective? Seperate is better?!?!!! Membership is better?!?!!!! Subjective vs objective?

Axel
Old 12-12-2005, 01:39 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Or wherer you saying something else entirely....?

Where you perhaps suggesting that the VAC might be in a position to take over/ assist or provide consultative help to the BB, that is 'in a bit of a rut' these days and could do with a massive dollup of the current century and its inhabitates to bring things to current. IMO.

Curious either way!

Axel
Old 12-12-2005, 04:54 AM   #34
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Reading the last post I got the impression that VAC is part of - or a subset of the WBCCI. As far a I know, it isn't!!????????? Correct me if I'm wrong but maybe I am wrong here. OR maybe you have to a WBCCI member to be able to be a VAC member, or maybe something else entirely....... I am verklempt.....talk amoungst yourselves............

If that is the case, will that brings a truly wideopen and widereaching change that seems to be the objective? Seperate is better?!?!!! Membership is better?!?!!!! Subjective vs objective?

Axel
In order to become a member of VAC ( Vintage Airstream Club), one must first become a member of WBCCI. The VAC is an intra club to the WBCCI. You can find all this information on the WBCCI website. (or can you?) I joined so I can join VAC.

Well, I just went to the dabyabeeceeceeeye website, and actually there is no apparent info on the intra clubs, other than a little blurb on one of the membership pages. Or I simply missed it.
VAC does have some information on their club, and they do back reference to WBCCI http://www.airstream.net/
Old 12-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
From as dissapointed but not discouraged Member

I look at the name change (although I do not know what it is yet) as a strategic marketing angle - NOT FOR TODAY but FOR THE FUTURE. Anything with the Name Airstream would be easier to publicize to both existing and potentially new members. The history of the club will always be with the Club - but if there is no club in the future then WB won't mean a thing anyway.

Look at it from a point of view that the new name WILL dipict the new and innovative changes to come.

There are lots of samples of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ....but this organization IS broken - like a record stuck in a time warp. And the only way to fix it is to start with those new members - who are not stuck in the fold or trapped in the "old" way of doing things. And hope that out of every 10 new members at least 1 or 2 with enthusiasm and committment for the future will stay.

I am a turncoat! I joined two years ago full of "piss and vinegar" Some will remember "my defending or die speach about WBCCI. But the more I saw - or should say did not see the more I realized how seriously this club/organization is in trouble. I saw it more through the eyes of our own Unit. As well the organization structure, the by-laws are a mess and the flow of information is even worse. i.e. Intra Clubs - did any of you know that there is 8 (count them!) 8 Clubs within this club. When I started to ask questions why we don't have anything on any of these clubs at the local level - have the people looked at me as if I was making things up!

I.e Vintage - since it is close to home and the whole reason Peter and I got into this whole crazy concept. The Local level says talk to your Vac Region Rep. - But if you look at the VAC By-laws there is NOTHING that even states that there is such an entity within the organization, never mind any defining duties or repsonsibilites or even the philosophy of the position.

So really folks how on earth can anything be promoted, encouraged, new activities to meet the new members "Needs" Unless we start writing our own. Bylaws and procedures are written to document a process to assist then "changing of the guard". When something works well a procedure is written - if someone breaks procedure a rule is written, when we want continuity in order then By-Laws are written......but in the face of a young family - or those of us with or without children/pets - who just like the out doors and to meet people but are not quite into our 50', 60'. 70-'s it is all way to "official" We just want to have fun - sitting around fixing our vintage rigs or marvelling at the new ones (or for some here - picking at the quality process of how they are built).

I learned from a very wise Lady - that trying to change the world over night is not going to happen. But the only way you can make changes is to do it from within. If you stay a member you have access to your Units information and to fellow members who might just have the same idea - if you take the time to ask them.By staying a member you retain the right to provide constructive suggestions. If not a member then you just become an outside person who owns an Airstream that likes to complain about something they are not members of.

There is nothing to stop anyone from calling up some members and having a fun gathering - whether it be at your own property, local campground or a municipal fairground. You can call it whatever you want - and have fun. Take this forum they do it all the time......if enough of this type of fun family/friends gatherings take place - sooner or later the Forum Rallies will rub off on your local Unit. There are many Units out there now that are experiencing this very Osmosis having fun theme Rallies with both young and older members and with both new and vintage rigs.

Trust me it was really hard to convince Peter to join this year - so we basically joined one to retain our NEW # 1961 - to match the Hybrid we will be working on this summer - and;

2. try our hand at drumming up some extra-curricular activities in our Unit.

Starting with - the Intr-Clubs - just the basics like maybe a small flyer entitled "Did You Know"...
Amateur Radio
CB Radio
Classic Airstream
Free Wheelers
Full Timers
Genealogy
Computer
Vintage Airstream

I am sure if none of those clubs appeal to all then make a few new ones - like Kayak, Canoe, Craft, Moped, Stamps or whatever. just get out there and do something with fellow Airstreamers
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
computer club question

Speaking of which, I joined the computer club last year from a very friendly gent who I could not say no to with the lure of a contest. I have just received an e-mail that it is time to re-up. I replied that I still have no idea of what the computer club is or does and have not received any further communication in that regard. Does anyone here belong? Hey I like computers. But then I like cappicinos too. Anyone want to join my cappicino club? All you have to do is join, become active and then model it to your own design. BTW, the dues will be $70.00.

Starting with - the Intr-Clubs - just the basics like maybe a small flyer entitled "Did You Know"...
Amateur Radio
CB Radio
Classic Airstream
Free Wheelers
Full Timers
Genealogy
Computer
Vintage Airstream

photography
Old 12-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Speaking of which, ........ BTW, the dues will be $70.00.

Amateur Radio
CB Radio
Classic Airstream
Free Wheelers
Full Timers
Genealogy
Computer
Vintage Airstream
Tell me they do not charge that amount????

I do not know what any of the fees are - except the VAC is and addition $20.00 - a hard pill to swallow as well really for at best a periodic Newsletter.

Yes there are Vintage Rallies (Regional and National?) I hear but have not seen any specific information on how to host them or if they are even different than "WBCCI" Rallies. I also assume by just being a member of the WBCCI?? you can attend any WBCCI Rally and since Vac is an Intra-Club of WBCCI and it's functions must be approved/ ratified and or sanctioned by WBCCI that I could attend.

Make your own Intra-Club...
Well if there is nothing offered within an existing club in your area - then yes why not model your own and do your own thing - and then you can charge what you want to pay for the Cappicinos and the new Cappicino Expresso/cino Machine
Old 12-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Oh no they don't!

[quote=GT6921]Tell me they do not charge that amount????

Oh no! That was the cappicino club you see, very posh.

Yes there are Vintage Rallies (Regional and National?) I hear but have not seen any specific information on how to host them or if they are even different than "WBCCI" Rallies. I also assume by just being a member of the WBCCI?? you can attend any WBCCI Rally and since Vac is an Intra-Club of WBCCI and it's functions must be approved/ ratified and or sanctioned by WBCCI that I could attend.

Yes the vintage club is definitely THE cutting edge! And I can be an associate member and join in the fun. Even if you are not an associate member as space allows visitors may be welcome. I just can't plunk my sorry new as in the vintage section.

photography
Old 12-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Wink Wally Byam

Personally I don't see the need for a name change and I do enjoy the fact that the founders name is in the clubs name.

We would NOT have Airstreams if it weren't for him. I don't think this is something we should forget this fast and easily!

Also, what appealed most to us of Airstreams is the Wally spirit of travelling with them! The fact that he created these international caravans and took these beautiful american handcrafts all over the world beating all odds!! Nobody has ever done what he did. This is reason enough for me to honour him in our clubs name and a constant reminder of what Airstreaming is really about.

It ain't an Airstream without Wally's free spirit within. Then it's just another brand of trailers in this case of the Thor company.

Most sob groups call themselves with their brand name WB is what makes us different. We're not just brand afeccionados we follow a dream of silver travelling and wandering.

All of the above is not to say that I love or enjoy the WBCCI, I really don't! but I don't believe the name is the problem. It's all the politics and changes that happened after Wally was gone that ruined the club. Maybe if we restore it to it's initial splendor of friendship and kinship of travel the WBCCI name won't sound that off anymore.

Just a suggestion
Old 12-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
[QUOTE=wheel interested]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
.......Yes the vintage club is definitely THE cutting edge! And I can be an associate member and join in the fun. Even if you are not an associate member as space allows visitors may be welcome. I just can't plunk my sorry new as in the vintage section.

Well think about this technicality. A few weeks ago I possed the question on the big Red numbers and having two different ones for two different trailers.

It came across pretty clear that "Membership" is the person and not the trailer!

(Now not to offend any of those younger than "25" cause I surely do not want to do that) but wheel interested - you could classify yourself as "vintage" being over 25 years of age.

Seems like a double standard to me - we can park our vintage in the middle of the new ones in a "regular" rally.

Why could new ones not come to a vintage and park together??? Why cut off possible members who are interested in Vintage and admire them but just have not found one yet.

KIMILI - I don't think people are really thinking along the mind set of dropping the name to drop all what Wally has created - I think if we can boost this organization to do a better job period then we could honor Wally much better - through say a Hall of Fame - like many other organizations do.

I do not know of too many organizations that take on the name of the founder. (Yes more is societies - but not Organizations) I.E Sports all have their specific sport name (Hockey, lacrosse, Ringette Basket Ball etc Bob Sled - or is there a guy named Mr Bob Sled???) The founder of all these organizations is someone else and honoured by it's membership via special events, trophies, scholarships, Hall of Fames etc.

The only real promo I have heard in two years is the Concourse and Beauty Miss Queenie something or another - I am sure there are many other Volunteer awards but this Organization sure does not pump them up - and give them any sort of honor or prestige. Not too much incentive for an Officer to spend about 4-5 good years to go up the totem pole - and right now take a lot of c...p from it's members (and non- members through this forum) Just makes me want to run and sign up for a Trustee's position