Old 12-11-2005, 11:52 AM   #15
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Okay, I'll weigh in on this too. I have some experience in running large clubs in the past, and I will tell anyone that cares to ask how much work and time is involved. There is only one way to make something like this work. Delegate!!!

The real problem is that most of the younger people are too busy working, raising families, driving the kids to sports, and so on. They don't have the time to take these jobs and responsibilities and do an adequate job of them. These are the people with the ideas that would draw younger members and we need their involvement.

If we really want to attract these younger people to the WBCCI, we need to modify some of our procedures. Try to get some of them to plan rallys or caravans that would suit their needs and have older members assist them. Do a lot of the foot work they do not have time to do. Perhaps a fishing rally at a local lake camp ground. Any activity that would entertain children as well as older members. Children don't play GOLF!!

When I was running the large group I lived on the East Coast. I had a ready supply of sea food. I used to run Crab Feasts where we did the cooking ourselves, I also held Oyster Roasts and the such. They were great fun, A Lot of work, and very popular. I also had BYOL parties. That's bring your own Lobster. Every one brought their own and we marked them with magic marker and threw them all in one pot. We also had beans, sweet corn and such. Great fun.

I live in the Midwest now and we hold pig roasts for families and friends. I roast a pig and invite people to bring a dish to pass. They love it!! We have our own Airstream Park here and could easily have a Pig Roast and Fishing Contest in the pond there. Why not?

The answer is I am getting older and can't do it all alone anymore. Yet we expect the older members of our group to do these things alone. Who wants to be an Officer and get stuck with this labor.

Want involvement. Poll the younger folks as what they want, when they want it. and if they will help or even organize it with help from us old fuddy duddys.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:59 AM   #16
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Forget to mention. At the fishing contest, I had a Grandparent with two fishing poles stationed all around the lake to help children whose Father or Mother couldn't be there or families weth many children. The Grandparents loved it too. We also went to Sporting Good stores and asked for small donations for prizes such as lures, other tackel and whatever. We usually had a prize for every child involved.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Although we are not members, we had thoroughly planned on joining...until we read an issue of the Blue Beret. I am sorry...I grew up in the 1950's, but this group has not moved beyond the sexism that existed back then. Single men and women now own and tow Airstreams. How do they fit in with WBCCI and their activities? It seems like the folks running the group are trying too hard to hang on to the culture of the past, while not advancing with the times! Although I am a woman, I don't enjoy dressing up, knitting, or cooking (except when necessary, and usually alongside my spouse). I think many of these events were developed to keep the women occupied. I prefer to spend my time hiking, watching wildlife, and photographing what catches my eye. I don't need someone to come up with things for me to do.

I thoroughly enjoy reading about Wally and his caravans, and I think the name change would be a big mistake. Perhaps instead they should take a look at what attracts people to the Airstream Forums Rallies and what turns them off to WBCCI. With their groups found nationwide, perhaps worldwide, I would love to belong to such a group....but not until some internal changes happen.

BUMP...next?

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 12-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Wbcci

My wife and I joined WBCCI several years ago after we bought our used Airstream. We wanted to learn more about how to fix and operate this brand of camper. What we got as well were a lot of new friends who had been in the organization for many years. They have been very helpful and are now really close friends. Most are older and aren't really concerned with the future of WBCCI. They're just trying to have a nice time while they are still alive.
An organization like this that has been in the same groove for so long, isn't going to change that much. Too many old ways of doing things by too many old people who don't want to change just because this is how it has always been done.
Get a life, go camping and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
My understanding of this is that the WBCCI board had already voted to change the name, but the new name, which will probably include the word "Airstream" somewhere, has yet to be decided upon.

My children and I attended our first WBCCI function last month, with the Delaware Valley New Jersey Region 2 Chapter. We had a blast. The kids made corn husk dolls, and they played with the other kids.

Yes, I am the youngest adult member in the club, but then again Sherri and I were also the youngest members in the Corvette Club of Hawaii. Bottom line is that I enjoyed hanging out with the older guys. They enjoyed looking at my recently finished trailer, talked about camping days of yore, and they shared their technical experience with me, which I will be able to pass along to someone else in the future.

I know some people are stuck in their ways, but in reality changing the WBCCI's name isn't going to change the club itself. The same people will still be members, the chapters will still hold the same functions and life goes on.

I did hear, though, that Airstream was thinking about getting involved with the club again, which kind of disturbs me, given the fact that they are getting more and more proprietary. Anyone else hear about this?

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I also heard that Airstream would send a REP to the rally and do minor repairs to the TT attending,Is this true ?????
Old 12-11-2005, 07:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5
Although we are not members, we had thoroughly planned on joining...until we read an issue of the Blue Beret. I am sorry...I grew up in the 1950's, but this group has not moved beyond the sexism that existed back then. Single men and women now own and tow Airstreams. How do they fit in with WBCCI and their activities? It seems like the folks running the group are trying too hard to hang on to the culture of the past, while not advancing with the times! Although I am a woman, I don't enjoy dressing up, knitting, or cooking (except when necessary, and usually alongside my spouse). I think many of these events were developed to keep the women occupied. I prefer to spend my time hiking, watching wildlife, and photographing what catches my eye. I don't need someone to come up with things for me to do.

I thoroughly enjoy reading about Wally and his caravans, and I think the name change would be a big mistake. Perhaps instead they should take a look at what attracts people to the Airstream Forums Rallies and what turns them off to WBCCI. With their groups found nationwide, perhaps worldwide, I would love to belong to such a group....but not until some internal changes happen.

BUMP...next?
Warbler5,

Since you live in Northern California, why don't you attend a NoCal Rally and then let us know if you feel the same way.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Thank you all so far...
As posted, I was asked this very question by a voting member of the IBT & also asked to present my findings at the IBT open meeting in Jan.
Please continue to post your feelings, opinions, facts, & fiction!! I believe we can have an impact on the future path of the club.

(FYI: The IBT - International Board of Trustees - is the governing board of WBCCI)
Old 12-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
well

"Please continue to post your feelings, opinions, facts, & fiction!! I believe we can have an impact on the future path of the club."

Since you put it that way...I'm game to give my personal view.

I think promotion would be the best avenue to take to actually bring about response. As it's been said repeatedly the pre-retirement folk are busy. But it represents more than when rallies are held or how long caravans last and cost. Everyone is busy. Younger people value their time, committment and energy and thereby necessitate budgeting it. It isn't surprising to find that someone doesn't want to "use up" a week-end or holiday to travel to an event that does not appear to be interesting. WBCCI needs some hype and then they need to stand behind it and actually offer more than comradery. I think there may be a fair amount of people who barely have time to see their closest friends regularly. Younger people aren't looking for something to do, they are being asked right and left to make time to fit more in their schedules. If you want a draw you have to be fun and exciting, perhaps even unique. You have to offer an experience that is one not to be missed. Nostalgia is good for a bit but repetition is stale.

I read my Blue Beret, I have gone to rallies. I have not made time to go to a luncheon or dinner though. I need from the publication and unit news more than a bulletin than who is sick and who has died and who has quit and who attended the last luncheon. I don't want to see form after form of coupon pages to be filled out. I want to see pictures and promos with details of times ahead and times past with a web address to make the deal in real time not snail mail.

My two cents worth.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
I wish WBCCI would make the numbers smaller so that they could be applied to the windows of a trailer. I am not putting my numbers on my $35,000 camper because I do not want the finish ruined. Also, why not issue small numbers and club stickers for members to put on tow vehiciles? Think of all the name recognition lost because we only put stickers on our campers (well those of us that will put stickers on our camper). Most of us drive our tow vechiles all the time and only pull our campers sometimes.

I think a name change is fine because Airstream is a more recogized name than Wally Byam. Wally was a forward thinker and we should be, too.

Unfortunately, based on the Regional I attended and the Blue Beret, the club is definately stuck in the fifities. Of course, it is the older full-timers that have the time to run the club, so until the next generation sets-up, that is the way it will stay. I do think the format of the Blue Beret is awful. The officier reports and regional activity updates are way lame. I have stopped reading it. I like the suggestion made above that it should focus more on travel destinations.

The good news is that the members of the Delmarva Unit are a great group of people who I enjoy spending time with!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
and by promotion I don't mean...

an aggressive campaign of tearing out forms and depositing them in the hands of everyone who does not bear numbers on their unit. As a first-timer with a complimentary membership I had serious doubts and reservations when I was repeatedly approached with magazines and books (and rules) with what I can only equate to as a religious fervor.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I say the name needs to change. It's time to relabel the club to the product and fan-base that it represents - Airstream. We aren't Wally fans. Thanks for starting the club, but it's time for it to move on. Nobody outside of the club knows who Wally is anymore (I don't know if they ever did, or if his celebrity was always contained within the club). Either way, this isn't a cult of personality, it's an Airstream club, and that's what it should be called.

Never again should a member have to say "I'm going to a WBCCI rally", a statement that is always followed by "What's the WBCCI?" Don't you realize normal people just laugh when you say "Wally Byam"? It just sounds so old (no offence to anyone named Wally), it sounds like a club right out of, and still in, the 50s!

So change the name, it's a good start. That alone might help more people decide they want to be involved, since it doesn't look like a bunch of Wally Worshipers. Then fix the Blue Beret (but that's a whole 'nother thread). And please lose the berets, that's another Wally worship thing.

Change will come, but people have to be willing to take it in small steps, and I think this is seriously a step in the right direction.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Since you live in Northern California, why don't you attend a NoCal Rally and then let us know if you feel the same way.
I may give it a try, Bill, but it seems like so many of the meetings are not really rallies. It also appears that very few of the NoCal WBCCI units do not yet have web sites, so it's tough to figure out their schedules. I try to go to the desert every year....maybe I can look into a SoCal unit rally to attend . It does appear to me that not all units are created equal....

I just enjoy camping, and it's nice to camp with a group of Airstreamers.

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 12-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5
I may give it a try, Bill, but it seems like so many of the meetings are not really rallies. It also appears that very few of the NoCal WBCCI units do not yet have web sites, so it's tough to figure out their schedules. I try to go to the desert every year....maybe I can look into a SoCal unit rally to attend . It does appear to me that not all units are created equal....

I just enjoy camping, and it's nice to camp with a group of Airstreamers.
Warbler5,

Specifically, I was talking about the Northern California Unit, there web site is : http://wbcci12.org/norcal/index.html They put the newsletter and schedule online. It is not updated for 2006 yet, but there is some contact information on the site.

As you stated, not all units are created equal, each one has its own personality. If you come down here, let me know.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote