Old 02-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Just wondering...

When did Airstream Co. give the okay to the WBCCI to use the Airstream name in the club name? I was under the impression that the company didn't necessarily want to be associated with the club, and that they don't freely let the name be used.

-J

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #254
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
I have sensed a measure of discontent in the membership of this organization that goes beyond a simple name change.

It seems there is a polarization that is prevalent that leads, invariably to -"us and them"- in even daily discourse.

I have tried to be a contributing member and have been rejected, time and again by the airstreams "dominant authorities". This having nothing to do with a name change, I don't care so much about name changes, this is even more rudiment.

People (members) seem to be threatened by simple offerings of new ideas relative to trailer repair. It seems a "siding" occurs, a lack of inclusion, a political process that would rival the ivy league. You then realize you are no longer an accepted member of "the club".

If, in an effort to find a solution to making fixes, one suggests something unusual like - lo-jack, as a way to deter stealing, or the simple use of muriatic acid as a cheaper way to prepare metal for painting, instead of a more expensive alternative, people become offended and insulting in their replies back.

Unless you are an established "member" of the group, if you could not claim the true name of the airstream creed as your own, if you do not have the official (flag bracket) you were spit out.

Of course, with such a clique, one risks being banished completely and forvever, one risks being abandoned by the sacred fathers.

I have seen more reasonable members try and soften their cronnies negitive, immature replies with suggestions of tolerance and advise, asking for a less divided membership.

I just want to wish this group peace and good luck and to suggest you strive to be more tolerant.

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #255
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Thanks John,

Negative Karma for the panties comment - it is suggestine and rude, especially for a moderator. I am truly disappointed.
Disappointed more still that you evade the question - did the 3rd explain the reason for modifying the motion.

One can't help but wonder of the secret society that might exist at the IBT level. You are very chummy with some of the higher-ups I hear so I do understand your profound support of this motion - you are on the ladder and on your way up.

Roy,

My impression is that you take for granted the experiences of the members in the WBCCI. You assume that because I am a newer member that I do not understand the process or am unfamiliar with the constitution and bylaws. You fully exemplify why WBCCI suffers dropping membership levels.

For your benefit - I am a 3 time past president of the Astronomical Society of Nevada, an organization with a 71 year history. I have seen that organizations membership grow by nearly 50 percent during my tenure (a feat that not one IBT can claim). That feat was accomplished by simply paying attention to the needs of the members and never necessitated a name change.

I am also the vice president of the Northern nevada Science Coalition, an organization who is the host city committee for the 2009 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in Reno, Nevada. Our group is bringing the worlds largest pre-college International science fair to Reno in 2009. This event will mean millons of dollars in scholarships for the students and millions more fund-raising to support the our local community. This event will involve up to 5000 students and tens of thousands of parents and family not to mention over 1800 judges which include Nobel laureates. And the two aforementioned groups are 501(c)(3) public non-profit groups that are membership driven. I do have experience in this area and I do not need you to downplay my experience and successes in this type of group management.

In all of my volunteer activities I have not stooped so low as to insult the value or contribution of any member in any group I have been a leader in.
I am fully aware of constitutional process and am proud to say that I have actually read Robert's Rules of Order.

When I say that you exemplify why WBCCI suffers dropping membership levels, I mean this; You insult the members who are lower than yourself and propagate the elitism that exists in the group. And it is your "holier-than-thou" attitude that drives people away from the group in droves. You are the kind of person that the younger members of the club, avoid. You take no time to "get to know" the members but diss their potential contributions in the group.

Oh, and by the way...Our unit, which has gone way past the elitist attitudes that you so strongly personify, enjoys the largest increase in membership in Region 12 and defies the spiral in membership the rest of WBCCI is experiencing. The formula that the leadership in our unit uses comes straight from Wally and his creed which they have adopted as the primary focus of the group. It also comes by their determination to be inclusive with respect to the members, open to new ideas and by providing opportunities for everyone to participate in the way that best suits them. All of this seems to be the antithesis of your philosophy in dealing with the membership.

If you took as much time in getting to know the members and the potential of this group as you do trying to build your own legacy in this name change this club would in fact be a better place for the newer and more progressive members that you so desperately are seeking to appeal to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
In the process of a 5-minute talk, the 3rd VP gave a simple statement of the results of the IBT and that the name change would be brought to a vote at unit level. Simply that. No pros, no cons, no arguments, no questions, no controversy.

The majority of the WBCCI world do not have their panties in a bunnch over this subject.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #256
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Amen, brother! You said it so well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJames
I have sensed a measure of discontent in the membership of this organization that goes beyond a simple name change.

It seems there is a polarization that is prevalent that leads, invariably to -"us and them"- in even daily discourse.

I have tried to be a contributing member and have been rejected, time and again by the airstreams "dominant authorities". This having nothing to do with a name change, I don't care so much about name changes, this is even more rudiment.

People (members) seem to be threatened by simple offerings of new ideas relative to trailer repair. It seems a "siding" occurs, a lack of inclusion, a political process that would rival the ivy league. You then realize you are no longer an accepted member of "the club".

If, in an effort to find a solution to making fixes, one suggests something unusual like - lo-jack, as a way to deter stealing, or the simple use of muriatic acid as a cheaper way to prepare metal for painting, instead of a more expensive alternative, people become offended and insulting in their replies back.

Unless you are an established "member" of the group, if you could not claim the true name of the airstream creed as your own, if you do not have the official (flag bracket) you were spit out.

Of course, with such a clique, one risks being banished completely and forvever, one risks being abandoned by the sacred fathers.

I have seen more reasonable members try and soften their cronnies negitive, immature replies with suggestions of tolerance and advise, asking for a less divided membership.

I just want to wish this group peace and good luck and to suggest you strive to be more tolerant.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 02-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #257
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
John,

Care to comment on this one???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
When did Airstream Co. give the okay to the WBCCI to use the Airstream name in the club name? I was under the impression that the company didn't necessarily want to be associated with the club, and that they don't freely let the name be used.

-J
Old 03-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #258
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Buttercup,

I think this bit of information was accurate and very well said. I would like to paraphrase it for our Unit Newsletter with your permission. I agree with you 100%! It isn't the name that needs changing, it is the activities and what the clubs do in their units that has the greatest impact on members. I reviewed the survey conducted in 2004. It is interesting to note that protocols, dress codes the effectiveness of the Blue book, the Blue Beret, were all polled. In addition a 44 page booklet of member comments that discussed the format of the International rallies, the distaste for the Teen Queen piece and wearing of the blue berets, red, blue, white jackets, protocols and ceremonies were viewed as negative and passe' and instead of taking a serious look at those issues making any move towards the request for more activiteies focused around doing things, better entertainment, with less focus on pomp and circumstance they decide to change the name. Their membership spoke loud and clear and they did not listen. THAT is what is killing the club!
Old 03-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #259
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Oh, Yes! I think it is appropriate to use any information from these forums to produce an article for your newsletter.
As a matter of fact I would be interested to see what you produce as others have done.

Also, There are many more threads on the forums about this that you could use to gather information. Just an aside, I was urged to post this name change question on the WBCCI forums, which I did. The results there (as of this writing) is 100% against the name change. We're not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Buttercup,

I think this bit of information was accurate and very well said. I would like to paraphrase it for our Unit Newsletter with your permission. I agree with you 100%! It isn't the name that needs changing, it is the activities and what the clubs do in their units that has the greatest impact on members. I reviewed the survey conducted in 2004. It is interesting to note that protocols, dress codes the effectiveness of the Blue book, the Blue Beret, were all polled. In addition a 44 page booklet of member comments that discussed the format of the International rallies, the distaste for the Teen Queen piece and wearing of the blue berets, red, blue, white jackets, protocols and ceremonies were viewed as negative and passe' and instead of taking a serious look at those issues making any move towards the request for more activiteies focused around doing things, better entertainment, with less focus on pomp and circumstance they decide to change the name. Their membership spoke loud and clear and they did not listen. THAT is what is killing the club!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:42 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Buttercup,

That is exactly what I felt in reviewing it. You summed it up quite nicely. Opinions are solicited and then when you give them they are not accepted or used to enhance. Is it that people only see what they want to see?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #261
2 Rivet Member

2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
Ibt

Excuse my ignorance, but what does the abbreviation IBT mean?
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:19 AM   #262
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Hello: Sherry and I are very very new to owning a brand new 2006 Safari SE LS. We just sent out check in to the WBCCI for a member at large membership.

I can add very little to the overwhelming and thorough discussion substantively, but felt compelled to at least add our initial thoughts, (admitting we know little if nothing about the club hierarchy).

We joined the WBCCI to enjoy the company and camping experience with other Airstream owners. This is a very simple sentence, yet the word experience requires some explanation.

The scene is somewhat as follows, but varies from place and time:

"Good morning, would you care to share a cup of coffee with us, my name is Robert and this is Sherry?"

"Why sure, my name is _______. I see you have a new Airstream"

"Yes, just been out twice now, and looking forward to the next unit rally"

"Well, I am the membership chairman of Unit _____, and we will be going to ________campground in two weeks, please come and join us. Everyone is friendly, and supporting, willing to share experiences about camping, and experiences about Airstreams" You will find us open minded and generous of heart and spirit"

"We will be there"

"Great, and thanks so much for the coffee"

I am very much a solo spirit myself, and will not engage in political infighting, my time is too precious. We may not even join a unit, although we did find the San Diego Chapter just full of charming people. We will attend different chapter gatherings and meet the people before considering a specifc unit, being even more cautious after reading the volumn of messages on this thread.

One last thing, I do not know if Airstream has publicly written their name can be used in conjunction with the proposed name change, but if they have not done so, the entire process to advance such a name change is riddled with litigation.

This is my first, and final post, on the subject.

In conclusion, Sherry and I hope to meet many of you on our camping trails, whether it be through an informal forum rally organized here (where non Airstream owners are welcome as well), or through more formal unit rallys. We look forward to discussing events in our lives which have substantive meaning, our children, our health of our parents, and our personal concern for those with whom we interact daily.

Our very best to all of you, Robert and Sherry Vogeli
Old 03-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #263
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Robert
Very well said.
My wife and I just bought our first Airstream,due in about 3 weeks,and are new to this as well.From reading all of these posts I see I have much to learn about the WBCCI. I to joined in the hopes of being part of something fun.I guess I will just have to wait and see if it was a good choice.

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #264
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS
Robert
I to joined in the hopes of being part of something fun.I guess I will just have to wait and see if it was a good choice.
Hi Brad:
The Minnesota Unit just needs some younger folks to pep it up and we seem to be getting them. Most of the old-timers are down south right now and little goes on in the Winter anyway. Try to make the Spring rally.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #265
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
OpenHigher, BradS;

Congratulations on your Airstreams. My wife and I have had our '05 for nine months now. We have attended a Region Rally and a couple of Unit Rallies. Of course I'm referring to the WBCCI. All of the people are great. I've met new members as well as the International President Jim Franklin. All great people. What I want to say is don't let this thread lower your spirits or enthusiasm. Just go out participate in the WBCCI and enjoy your Airstream.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:23 PM   #266
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Channel 8 News covered our Vintage Rally last weekend. They billed us on the air as the Wally Byam Carnival Club. Best argument for a name change I have heard in a long time!

By the way, the general feeling regarding the name change in every member I have been in contact with is "Fine".
Not here. The weekend unit event was a strong against. Even talk of a new club. AOAII. Not that's a big help. Change the club keep the name. I like the Carnival Club idea