Old 12-22-2005, 11:01 PM   #211
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Growth is good!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:05 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
Funny, Roy stated that he received no negative comment, except ours. Hmmmm...
For clarification I sent mine yesterday to Roy - and he responded promptly before heading south.

With some fabulous help from Shari - I have traced our input back to the Unit Delegate - which I have yet to find who it was - and to still find out what direction that person was given in regards to the name change issue - motion from the Unit Meeting.

And I still want to find out what documentation was sent to the Unit prior to the Delegate Meeting. - Any one know - other that what information is in the BB. Are the IBT meeting minutes circulated to the Unit Presidents?

Old 12-22-2005, 11:48 PM   #213
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
OKay so I finally got to the bottom of my question #1 and #2

Our Unit was aware - must have just been the new President so excited about his new position he forgot.

The members voted in the April Rally (which we did not attend - as our GT's Axle was dead in the water and removed for cloning at Axis).

It was reported in our newsletter- that we missed due to a change in e-mail address that made the directory but not the Newsletter Editor. That we approved to add the word Airstream to our Official Name.

Now when I read this in our news letter I thought they were refering to our Unit Name - not the Name WBCCI - easy mistake.

I just wish that we were given a copy of the agenda and rationale for the pending motions - and have an opportunity to proxy our vote on motions coming down from IBT. It would make things a lot more clear for everyone.

With everything I have not read - there are two things.

One - if there is to be a change - then it should be as I mentioned before - as directed by the delegates - and that is to add Airstream to WBCCI - where and how the word shows up is what the Task Force should have been working on and will be presenting to IBT Jan 10th. So if anything other than this is presented to IBT - I hope that IBT follows the direction of their membership and send the Task Force Back to the drawing board or over rule and propose an appropriate inclusion of the word Airstream to the WBCCI.

Two I have seen that there is a heavier influence to adding the word airstream - from those who own newer units hence not having the 100% drive to retain the history as those who either own vintage or have an appreciation for vintage units.

Our unit is a prime example - there is about 30+ units that appreciate vintage of the 207+ members - but those members are not vocal in their vintage appreciation and meet without the approval of the unit.

So yes men comes to mind with our votes.

Third - if I were to vote I would have voted NO - but because we were not there our vote counted in favor - and that is what is wrong with the system and hopefully in the future house cleaning will be looked at.

But this time around I will be there and I will have an opportunity to have my vote noted.

However....I still do not agree that an opinion poll with such poor member representation is justification for the IBT President to table a motion to add Airstream to the Official name in the first place.

Maybe enough to warrant either further research or even a recount on that specific question via mail, e-mail etc - but not what is presently in motion !

I'm done with this now - and as one of the people seriously questioning the process. From the point the IBT President tabled the motion - the organization HAS in deed followed all its rules.

So where the questionable action lies is with the IBT President and the seconder and then the IBT as a group to lead this Club into a change process that may not even be necessary.

good luck to all of you out there -make sure you get heard - it may not make a difference today - but at least we have identified some serious defficience in this change process and hopefully somewhere along the road a new more effective process will be developed.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:00 AM   #214
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
For clarification I sent mine yesterday to Roy - and he responded promptly before heading south.
You did good to get a response so quickly. Mr. Bernd has hidden his email address from this forum (a thing that was probably good to do at the moment, or he'd be inundated with comments), so I sent him a private message with my comments on Tuesday. I have yet to receive a response in over two days.

I will note that I am already in communication with my Region President about the proposed name change. And I will be contacting my Unit President soon. My efforts may or may not have any effect, but you can't get any results if you don't try. I've always tended to get involved with organizations I join at some level. I'm not ready to be a unit or region officer at the moment, but I can try make my voice heard.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:04 AM   #215
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Warm

I always heard that crow was best eaten while it was warm. I find it amazing that some are suprised by the democracy of all of this name change stuff.

It is just as any democracy, you cannot get everyone to vote. Do we stop the process because a minority did not show up for the vote.

I am not certain what process you folks are expecting but I am familiar with the process the WBCCI uses and it seems to be typical to me.

It is always the folks who did not vote who bear the most distaste for the system.

As for a record, all one has to do is get with the Recording Secretary of any unit to find what transpired during any WBCCI meeting. Especially votes and major decisions. I am proud to say that I was afforded oppurtunity to vote and our unit which has a voting strength of 56 (total members are around 150 including associates and other non voting members). Our unit, which is often recognized for forward thinking, voted to CHANGE THE NAME!

I assure you that the topic was voted on at every unit at one time or another. If a Unit did not vote , it was probably because the officers were not keeping up with the info sent from the International level. The info from International is duplicated and sent ot EVERY unit president. Not to mention, the rumor of name change was prevalent within the WBCCI and I would bet that the rumor was present at every unit and the subject of conversation at one time or another. Again, it usually comes down to being present.

Comments like, "I did not attend", "I did not receive", "my mailing address changed" etc...

Just like any one else, it is there own responsibility to insure that you are reachable.

Do creditors cut you any slack for changed mailing addresses?

Do attornies and judges cut you any slack for "misinterpretation"

Does the Voting process "wait" for you to show up?

As with any vote, I am glad that this issue has caused much debate. As with all elections or votes, when folks dont not get what they seek, they promise to be involved next time.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:43 AM   #216
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
The Club

The Airstream Club!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:07 AM   #217
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
I always heard that crow was best eaten while it was warm. I find it amazing that some are suprised by the democracy of all of this name change stuff.

It is just as any democracy, you cannot get everyone to vote. Do we stop the process because a minority did not show up for the vote.

I am not certain what process you folks are expecting but I am familiar with the process the WBCCI uses and it seems to be typical to me.

It is always the folks who did not vote who bear the most distaste for the system.

As for a record, all one has to do is get with the Recording Secretary of any unit to find what transpired during any WBCCI meeting. Especially votes and major decisions. I am proud to say that I was afforded oppurtunity to vote and our unit which has a voting strength of 56 (total members are around 150 including associates and other non voting members). Our unit, which is often recognized for forward thinking, voted to CHANGE THE NAME!

I assure you that the topic was voted on at every unit at one time or another. If a Unit did not vote , it was probably because the officers were not keeping up with the info sent from the International level. The info from International is duplicated and sent ot EVERY unit president. Not to mention, the rumor of name change was prevalent within the WBCCI and I would bet that the rumor was present at every unit and the subject of conversation at one time or another. Again, it usually comes down to being present.

Comments like, "I did not attend", "I did not receive", "my mailing address changed" etc...

Just like any one else, it is there own responsibility to insure that you are reachable.

Do creditors cut you any slack for changed mailing addresses?

Do attornies and judges cut you any slack for "misinterpretation"

Does the Voting process "wait" for you to show up?

As with any vote, I am glad that this issue has caused much debate. As with all elections or votes, when folks dont not get what they seek, they promise to be involved next time.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
If you are refering to my posts - Smily then have the courage or politeness to say so.

I have had legitimate questions all the way through this process - I did approach my Unit first and was told they no nothing of the name changing. So as many here seem to be in tune that is why I came here - to find out as much as I can.

As far as not attending!, incorrect address! etc - don't presume to even think that these are faults of those questioning. If I submit and address change 4 times - and it is still incorrect - then I suppose I am in the wrong for not being responsible.

I suppose if I do not receive agenda's prior to the Unit meetings, or do not receive minutes following the meetings I can keep up to speed. And yes how about the BB that we receive at our address upwards of a month after it is published if not more.

I am not complaining!, and we have tried to volunteer and get involved - but everyone is all so busy and things are planed in our unit almost 2 years in advance. So we will look forward to 2008 when hopefully WE will be able to contribute to our Unit. We can not help if we experience mechanical problems and can not attend our Rallies.

I also try not to be defensive on peoples comments here either - when someone has the "balls" to conceed the process and in fact communicate such - the LAST thing they need is people like you shuving down their face.

I have my opinion on the name - just as you do. I defend the name - and I applaud the members for accepting change - but Smilie the direction was
Add Airstream to the Official name - NOT to Change the name completely - so try and get your facts straight.

And the second point is - I just can not understand how an opinion pole of only 13% of our members can initiate a full name change process. I can understand however how it may cause for research into the response and possibly further contact with members and corporate partners.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #218
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Quote:
If you are refering to my posts - Smily then have the courage or politeness to say so
My post was for the whole forum but your input, as others, had an influence on mine.

Quote:
I am not complaining!, and we have tried to volunteer and get involved - but everyone is all so busy and things are planed in our unit almost 2 years in advance. So we will look forward to 2008 when hopefully WE will be able to contribute to our Unit. We can not help if we experience mechanical problems and can not attend our Rallies.
Thats cool. I am glad to hear it. The more the merrier. Come one come all!

Quote:
but Smilie the direction was
add Airstream to the Official name - NOT to Change the name completely - so try and get your facts straight.
Hm, there are degrees of change? I suppose that is up for interpretation. Does this mean you will entertain a little change?

And by the way, I concur the direction was to add Airstream, but where is the direction to not change the name completely? (even if my interpretaion is any change is complete.)

Ken Smillie (w/two l's)
Old 12-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #219
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Hm, there are degrees of change? I suppose that is up for interpretation. Does this mean you will entertain a little change?
I have never been adverse to change - and you might see my first post way back at the beginning - was WBACCI.

Just really don't think it is necessary to stand in front of my rig - and say I belong to THE AIRSTREAM CLUB when it is in big letters behind me. But it is interesting to explain how and why these travelers are still on the road and why the design is such they are still making them today - don't you think???

Quote:
And by the way, I concur the direction was to add Airstream, but where is the direction to not change the name completely? (even if my interpretaion is any change is complete.)
You know Smily - I belonged to an organization that at one point had a board - that would purposely play with the wording of motions - to twist and push things through - and then pipe in "well it is up for interpretation."

So as I said - now we shall wait and see - give the Task Force their opportunity to present their proposal to the IBT Jan 10th.

Then see what motion(s) come forth to the Units for consideration and/or vote. If their interpretation was just to add Airstream to the official name WBCCI and a name is presented without the WBCCI included then this is where the members voice will either prevail for or against the shift in direction.

I agree change is inevitable - as we have already ratified as the membership to add the word Airstream to WBCCI - it is just a matter of where the A ends up.

The tough part will be when those who don't want to go further with the name and are handed say AOA the TAC or whatever to vote on - will they vote yes or no???

We are called WBCCI - Ontario Canada Unit -we have a 34' triple axle as the logo with a maple leaf behind it. That pretty much says it all for our Unit. And on the jackets we have a Big Airstream on the Back - so not sure why anyone has such a hard time marketing.

Maybe the VAC will adopt the WBCCI and elevate their status from an Intra-Club - to the NEW WBCCI
Old 12-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #220
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
The Airstream Club!
I think this will be my last post in this issue, because we aren't accomplishing anything with all this debate. It was interesting to read for a while, but now it's getting stale and perhaps just a little bit personal. We've all got our opinions and it appears most of us are unlikely to change them as a part of this debate.

I can accept a club name change that "includes the word Airstream" as was initially voted upon, but I just can't get myself to accept a wholesale replacement of the club name, when the new name and old name do not share even one word in common. Your "proposal" above, while not my first choice is better than AOAI for several reasons, one of which is that at least it shares one word with the current name of the club (and that word would be . . . anyone . . . anyone . . . "club" . . . there I knew you could say it ), so it has at least a tiny link to the current name. 'Nuf said.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 12-26-2005, 12:51 AM   #221
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
"All politics is local..."

Joe et al -

"All politics is local" - Mayor Richard J. Daley - Chicago. And probably someone before him...

Am also following this thread for any new bits, info and news, but have decided that posting to this and other threads in the same vein is, for me, just so much more turbulent air that, while illuminating and exhilerating, do little to drive the process forward where the 'rubber meets the road' - AS metaphor there!

Putting my energy into getting the local politics to reflect my slant. That is where the energy is evidently needed, accross the WBCCI (or whatever it will be).

"All politics is local" - from there it percolates up and ???? Process and bylaws decree that that is where it starts, and possibly ends.

Axel
Old 12-26-2005, 08:10 AM   #222
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I have just been informed by my super-secret inside source (Deep Hitch) at WBCCI that the new club name will be:

The Airstream Owners Association International Formerly Known As The Wally Byam Caravan Club International.

Club leaders are hopeful that the new name, which artfully includes "Airstream" and "Wally Byam", will satisfy both camps ... and bring this incessant carping and whining to an end.

Also, they do realize the new name is quite a mouthful, so they are suggesting we just call the club ... TAOAIFKATWBCCI.

Unit presidents are urging all TAOAIFKATWBCCI members to pull together and get back to the important business of the club ... checking tire pressures and battery water levels.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:14 AM   #223
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Putting my energy into getting the local politics to reflect my slant. That is where the energy is evidently needed, accross the WBCCI (or whatever it will be).

Axel
Alright, so I lied about not posting any more on this topic.

I have already started and will continue to try to influence the decision at my local Unit and Region level as well, because I also realize that these Forums, while a good way to exchange ideas, don't have any direct influence on the "powers that be" in the WBCCI.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 12-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #224
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Lawzy Miz Scarlet ahz don't know nothin bout namin no ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
the new club name will be:
The Airstream Owners Association International Formerly Known As The Wally Byam Caravan Club International...they are suggesting we just call the club ... TAOAIFKATWBCCI.
I'm votin with mistah Porky.
The sudoku addict formerly known as tin sista