View Poll Results: Do you support the WBCCI's current plans to rebadge an SOB Class "A" motor home as an
Yes, I do support this. 26 10.57%
No, I do not support this. 220 89.43%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #267
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
ok my idea was already on air.
it's been a while I didn't read all the thread, and now that I did I figure out that I didn't bring anything new. Sorry about that.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #268
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin
ok my idea was already on air.
it's been a while I didn't read all the thread, and now that I did I figure out that I didn't bring anything new. Sorry about that.
Don't worry about not brining something new... you are bringing up and working through a lot of the very same thoughts that we have all been struggling with! And those of us who feel the same way can appreciate how you feel.

Now that you have a sense of what is going on with this ammendment work with your Unit and airstreamers you meet along the way to let them know how crazy this idea is. And spread the word to those who don't know that this is happening. This will help. You can get more information at SaveWally.org.

VOTE NO on the entire International slate when it comes to your unit in April (THIS MONTH). They're going to win anyway -- might as well make them sit through a 45 minute roll call and let them hear YOUR voice. Especially if you won't be in Perry! (If they get in through another club-wide unanimous YES election they're just going to fumble around and find another disaster for '08. When is enough, enough?)

WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #269
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin
My vote is NO.
Why?
- the reason to accept non AS is to increase membership or not loose.
So what if it doesn't work as expected.
Good point dufferin. I have thought of that many times. But what if it has the opposite affect from the so called desired one of increasing membership numbers. I, like many others I expect, plan to drop out of the Airstream only club I joined and want to be a member of if "they" (and this time it really is a "they") allow other brands in the club. There probably will be way more members dropping out because it is no longer an Airstream owner's club than will be retained by allowing Four Winds owners to stay in or join the WBCCI. In fact, I predict a mass exodus that will make the membership numbers plummet. Then what. Will they allow Four Winds travel trailers in...where will it stop?

It will be too easy for there to be a new Airstream only club to form with a new format and less rigidity that everyone will prefer. One that will be more inclusive of families and those still working. All of the things that people on this forum give as reasons for dropping out or not joining in the first place will simply not be included and there will be a thriving alternative to an obsolete and a soon to be defunct club for the out-of-touch, self serving IBT that personifies what is WRONG with the WBCCI. Step down from soap box and bow to the next guy.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #270
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Minnie,
I think the way they think is simply to put a bucket under the leak but nothing is done to fix the leak.
And WBCCI being a non brand club will put it in competition with SamClub, Escapee and I had some of the publications from those and I tell you there's no way for WBCCI to keep up with what they do provide.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #271
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
There are, IMHO, several things that need to be updated in WBCCI. This month's "editorial" in the Blue Beret states that a new member, or anyone as far as that goes, must start a 14 year process to work their way up the ranks to the IBT. That in itself turns off most of us. Once we retire, who really wants to spend 14 years to get to the point of the IBT level. That's why they are all in their mid-70's and up. Those of us that still work can't participate in the upper level because of the amount of travel that is required each year. I don't know how other clubs are run, whether with mostly volunteers or with all paid staff or what level of combination of the two, but the WBCCI system needs to be updated. There needs to be more to appeal to the middle-aged members (like me) and prospective members that are younger in order to get them to join and to keep us middle-aged folk in the club.

I know, we've heard it all before. But apparently the IBT isn't listening. They want to know why members are quiting or new Airstreamers aren't joining. They should be asking what are they (WBCCI) doing wrong, not what the drop outs and never joiners are doing wrong! They should be asking what's the problem with the club, not the problem with the non-members. How do they fix the club, not the non-members...etc. etc. etc. You get the picture.

Allowing non-Airstream products in the WBCCI isn't the answer and the chart at the top of this page illustrates this. The WBCCI has a big ole pot of money sitting in their coffers, why don't they spend some of it on a consultant to do some strategic planning on how to survive when other clubs are experiencing a decline in membership just like the WBCCI is and how they can attract new members and retain existing members and how to redesign itself to become a great club again where strife and in-bitting and bickering are not what the club is known for.

Once again, stepping down from the soap box.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #272
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
A failed system of advancement?

Does the system perpetuate failure?

Do the 'Seniors' (I think I am one) really think excluding SOBs will lead to failure of the club?

Will excluding SOBs make it a NEW club?

I'm a new member but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT the club will go away with exclusion of the SOBs. Membership may stay in decline for a while; however, younger blood, with fresher and new ideas like I've heard expressed in our Forum cannot help but improve on a great old club.

I get depressed just reading the "One Sided" messages in the Blue Beret.
It seems that I've seen all that stuff before when the leadership is overwhelmingly "Gray" (I think I am one) whichever the organization whether it be a church, a car club, a service club or whatever.

I can somehow imagine the National Convention with the Seniors riding around on little motorbikes shouting orders through bullhorns .

I'm new to the club, I'm a gray Senior, I'm listening to the new ideas and I'm staying in for the better; however, I'd have to vote "NO" to SOBs. It's an Airstream Club for goodness sakes! I try to remember that it's all about the camping AND the new friendships made through a common interest in our Airstreams, not our Monacos, Prevosts or whatever!

I've tried not to rant but finally had to let it go. Sorry.

HAPPY TRAILS
Old 04-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #273
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Nicely put.

WOW! I have to say that I think this is one of the best responses to this poll. This is not a young against old issue and I am glad to hear somebody say that some younger blood might be in order. In this case I think that some research into all aspects of the issue should have been performed BEFORE making this propisition. I think it is quite evident that the IBT did not do that in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
Does the system perpetuate failure?

Do the 'Seniors' (I think I am one) really think excluding SOBs will lead to failure of the club?

Will excluding SOBs make it a NEW club?

I'm a new member but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT the club will go away with exclusion of the SOBs. Membership may stay in decline for a while; however, younger blood, with fresher and new ideas like I've heard expressed in our Forum cannot help but improve on a great old club.

I get depressed just reading the "One Sided" messages in the Blue Beret.
It seems that I've seen all that stuff before when the leadership is overwhelmingly "Gray" (I think I am one) whichever the organization whether it be a church, a car club, a service club or whatever.

I can somehow imagine the National Convention with the Seniors riding around on little motorbikes shouting orders through bullhorns .

I'm new to the club, I'm a gray Senior, I'm listening to the new ideas and I'm staying in for the better; however, I'd have to vote "NO" to SOBs. It's an Airstream Club for goodness sakes! I try to remember that it's all about the camping AND the new friendships made through a common interest in our Airstreams, not our Monacos, Prevosts or whatever!

I've tried not to rant but finally had to let it go. Sorry.

HAPPY TRAILS
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #274

Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I know, we've heard it all before. But apparently the IBT isn't listening. They want to know why members are quiting or new Airstreamers aren't joining. They should be asking what are they (WBCCI) doing wrong, not what the drop outs and never joiners are doing wrong! They should be asking what's the problem with the club, not the problem with the non-members. How do they fix the club, not the non-members...etc. etc. etc. You get the picture.
Yep, this is a subject that we broached all the way back when in 2001 when free memberships were given to new owners. IBT ended it when they determined that the retention rate wasn't good enough. Then they put a big survey in the Blue Beret. Problem was they never went after the folks who left after their first year to see why they didn't stay. It was always asking the current membership, which surmounts to preaching to the choir.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #275

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
There are, IMHO, several things that need to be updated in WBCCI. This month's "editorial" in the Blue Beret states that a new member, or anyone as far as that goes, must start a 14 year process to work their way up the ranks to the IBT. That in itself turns off most of us.
That in itself perpetuates the staleness in the organization. It's much like our Congress that seems to take energetic folks into its ranks only to turn them into political prostitutes. There are stories that have been told in some threads about some officers who were out of box folks who found that the process only rewards those who don't make waves. So even if you have the gumption to want to make a difference, understand that the system has a way of protecting it's own and that if you don't play the game, you probably won't get any further than the top of your own unit.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 04-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #276
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
That in itself perpetuates the staleness in the organization. It's much like our Congress that seems to take energetic folks into its ranks only to turn them into political prostitutes. There are stories that have been told in some threads about some officers who were out of box folks who found that the process only rewards those who don't make waves. So even if you have the gumption to want to make a difference, understand that the system has a way of protecting it's own and that if you don't play the game, you probably won't get any further than the top of your own unit.

Jack
Well, that does it! I was struggling with the decision to run for office in the WBCCI or the Presidency of the United States! Since the latter is far more obtainable I've now made my decision. Cracker for President!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #277
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
For what it is worth, the 1VP (next prez) has only been a member for 10 years....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #278

Fenton , Missouri
If you follow the ranks it should take you about 12 years to rise to the top. 4 years at the local side, 4 at the regional and 4 at the International side. The first VP is a little ahead of schedule but usually its because of a jump at the local or regional level. I know we've had a couple of officers who didn't progress due to health or other reasons. In that case everybody below that person makes two jumps rather than one on the progression path.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #279
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Lenoir City , Tennessee
WBCCI for all

My facts and interests:
1. Joined WBCCI in January of 1985.
2. Served several terms as member of the Unit 165 Board of Directors.
3. Past President of the East Tennessee Unit.
4. Hosted two Tennessee State Rallies, dozens of local rallies, two National Caravans, attended several International Rallies, assisted with planning of three Region Rallies.
5. Owned two Airstream trailers (31 and 34 feet) and five tow vehicles.
6. Purchased a used 2003 XL-386 motorhome in September of 2006.

Now.....the real facts:
1. WBCCI at one point in time had over 20,000 unit members and in 1985(?) the International Rally in Lake Placid attracted over 5000 units.
2. In 2006 the WBCCI membership had dropped to less than 7000 and the International Rally for 2006 attracted less than 1000 members.
3. It is estimated that 20% of the current WBCCI membership are motorhome owners.
4. The fact about International Officers is that they have normally accepted a 3 year commitment for local office, a 6 year commitment for Region office, and a 3 year commitment for National office. All of these offices require travel and the travel miles increase with the length and rank of the office. Many of these officers wear out several vehicles while in office and this is actually their own expense paid out of their own pocket.
5. Many Airstream only parks have been forced to accept SOB units to keep the parks in operation and the hidden truth is that many WBCCI members now own SOB units and place them in the parks and only use the AS units for rallies and WBCCI events.

My observations....
I'm upset! I feel that Larry Huttle at Airstream, Inc. has put the members of the WBCCI in direct conflict.

My motorhome is a Freightliner Chassis, Cat and Allison powered, shares the same body and end caps as other motorhomes in the Thor fleet, has an Onan (Cummins) generator, and shares beds, couches, chairs, air conditioners, fridge, Fantastic Fans with other Airstream models. The main difference between Thor and Airstream motorhomes is the millwork and workmanship in putting the "system" together.

Mr. Huttle could have brought in any "Brand X" motorhome, refined it, painted it, put the Airstream graphics and plaques on it, and placed his markup on the price sticker, and saved the WBCCI from a problem that will cause it to virtually destroy itself from within.

My conclusion:

Those of us who have worked to make this club the best will watch as a few purists will be happy with a greatly smaller club with very narrow interests. Not all of us want to be vintage owners, all of us want to be Airstream owners, some of us understand that it is the people that make up the organization and not the vehicle that they sleep in.

Bill Hall
WBCCI #4983
Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #280
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I wrote a letter to Jerry Larson asking about his vision and what he will do about the decline in membership if he is elected to 1st VP. Here is a portion of his reply as it relates to the decline in membership:

"Membership decline and plan to increase membership? Looking at all the various issues that have faced our Club in the past year or two, do not compare with the issue of Membership loss. We need to solve this issue sooner rather than later (preferably this year). Until all our Members are concerned about Membership Loss, we are swimming up stream. We need EVERYONE to be involved in this issue, not just the Club's Officers and Membership Committee Chairmen. In our Club's early years when we were a division/department of the Airstream Company, everyone with an Airstream was a member. This resulted in a large number of Members in the Club, many who probably didn't even know they were members. When Members started paying dues, they started becoming aware of being a Member. This was especially true when Club dues went from free to $1 a year, to $2.50 a year, then the big change to $10 a year after the Club separated from the Airstream Company. It was after this separation from the Airstream Company that the Club started into a Membership decline. It appears that the perceived value of being a Club Member was not worth the price of a McDonald's Happy Meal. In the early years after 1972 our declining Membership rate was greater than the past few years. There was hope that the curve of declining membership was bottoming out and that we would start seeing an increase in Members. This was especially true in 2005 with the increase in Membership of 15. However, it appeared that the raising of dues in 2006 by $10 from $45 to $55 killed that positive momentum. Again the perceived value of a WBCCI Membership to some was not much. We need to develop an attitude that I call a "Wal-Mart Attitude". This is where we, like Wal-Mart, need to "SATISFY OUR CUSTOMER" who is both our current and future Members. OUR CLUB DOES HAVE A VALUE. To some, who go on National Caravans, it is worth several thousands of dollars/year. Yet some see no value at all and are leaving, especially Members-At-Large.

Again, we need to get TOGETHER to determine what needs to be done to keep Members and what we need to do to recruit new Members. There is so much to do and so little time. Also it is sad that we have the problem of a few that are trying to divide the Club rather than unite it."

It is interesting that large declines in membership followed increases in dues. Perhaps something should be done to make the members feel that they are receiving value for their dues. I know that the "I don't feel that I am receiving enough for my dues" is a theme which has been posted on this forum several times.

Just my personal opinion.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote