View Poll Results: Do you support the WBCCI's current plans to rebadge an SOB Class "A" motor home as an
Yes, I do support this. 26 10.57%
No, I do not support this. 220 89.43%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #225
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Hastings , Minnesota
bobchevy89,
I agree with you 100%. This is the kind of CRAP that's the reason WBCCI is just about dead.

Pat370

Old 02-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #226
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I myself want every Airstream motorhome owner to know that I think of you and your units as I do any other member of the club and I think that is the geniune feeling of most all the WBCCI members throughout. What I think is so very unfortunate and a real tragedy is that this motion to let the club be opened to other brands of recreational vehicles has contributed to dialog that has many Airstream motorhome owners being offended by careless words. And I know I would feel that same way, feeling discriminated against and targeted by many of the poorly constructed comments that are not keeping this upheaval to the matter of whether we keep our Airstream identity as the basis for membership or not. I find this so regrettable and I feel badly to see this happen. I think we ought to bend over backwards to assure our motorhome owners that this is not about them. It's like our club's progress has just slipped back to the past and reopened old wounds. Let's not let things go there. Let's look out for one another and work together to go forward.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #227
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Our last camping trip was to a local state campground we had never visited before. When we pulled in we parked in a row next to an old Pace Arrow in amazing shape, down the row from a vintage Airstream trailer and up the row from a 72 Winnebago. In between we had trailers and motorhomes and 5th wheels.

Within a few minutes of setting up camp a number of the other campers came by to ask me if my Motorhome was an Airstream. I explained over and over that it indeed was an Airstream and that while they didn't make too many motorhomes, we felt lucky to own this one. A lot of people asked if they could peak inside, a few asked about fuel mileage and one man kept going on about how these were "the luxury coaches of their day".

The Pace Arrow owner next to us and the Winnebago owner down the way and I all reciprocated tours and talked about engines and transmissions and restoration projects and the like. Our kids played with the kids in the 5th wheel across the way. When we realized that our fire wood was wet, a man in a Class C came over and offered his dry wood. Said he didn't need it anymore as this was his last night of a one month stay in the park.

The next morning we saw the owners of the vintage Airstream trailer. I introduced myself and commented on their very nice trailer. After a short conversation, they told me that they used to own an Airstream Motorhome like ours (a 325) but it was just too big and they didn't go far from home anymore so their "new" vintage unit was perfect for them now.

To me it's not about the club I'm in, or the badge on my RV. Airstreaming is about getting out there, camping, meeting people, spending time with my family and occasionally sharing similar interests in Airstreams with other Airstream owners and even just Airstream appreciators.

These threads have been eroding any remote interest in my joining the WBCCI. Not because people don't have a right to admit or not admit certain brands or interested parties into the club, not because some people are just soap boxing, just because the voices that are loudest do not seem to be the ones I want to be camping next to in the state park this spring.

I do hope you figure this out and fix/improve/grow the club to a point where I might have the slightest interest in joining. Until then, consider how you're words might influence current owners and prospective owners and their interest in the club itself and choose them more carefully.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #228
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Hastings , Minnesota
Very well said and written Steve. I agree with you all the way. I will chat with you wed. night.

Pat370
Old 02-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #229
Rivet Master

Before you say no to the WBCCI

Steven, Pat370,

Before you say no to the WBCCI, I ask that you look at a thread I started back sometime ago. I had asked for "only" WBCCI members to respond and say why they continue to stay in the club. I think, one can say, that these are also very good reason to join the club. I'll be the first to say the WBCCI is not for everyone. Like many other things, the closer you get to the politics, the more problems one will see. I ask that you take a look at this thread, http://www.airforums.com/forum...ber-29230.html There's a bunch of good reasons to join.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #230
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Look,

I will be the first to say that if it was made by Airstream, it is good to be in the club - period. Even though the Basecamp may not be doing all that well for the club, I still supported it because Airstream was happy to put it's name on it.

I think the feelings of "Good 'Ol Boy" are not indicative of anything more than the 18 or so leaders who are driving mostly Class "A"s and who are principally the ones who are pushing this motion. If it ain't an Airstream, it don't belong - that I believe is the sentiment and really, while I understand how somebody can be offended - I don't think they should he reason I say that is because that comment is not directed towards anybody else but the afore mentioned leadership, nobody else.

However, if you are a supporter of the MOHO issue then perhaps you should be really offended.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:07 AM   #231
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
If or when these guys decide to sell their Airstream MOHO they should buy an Airstream trailer like the way it used to be.

Wally towed an Airstream trailer.
when I sell mine I'll buy a sob.the reason being is the snobbery going on here.just look at the replys.silver tubes against moho.this is stupid.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #232
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Smile towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
While waiting to check in at Ft. Wilderness this past weekend, I noticed a Four Winds product sitting in the line near me and I wondered: If we allow all of the Four Winds Class A motor home models into the WBCCI so the septuagenarian IBT's can get new motor homes and stay in the club and in its leadership now, how long will it be before those same septuagenarians become octogenarians and can no longer handle the big Class A motor homes and want to change the constitution to allow the smaller Class C motor homes like the one sitting near me in the check-in line? After all, it was a Four Winds motor home...it was just a Class C in stead of a Class A. Wouldn't that be easier for an 80-something IBT member to handle than a great big Class A Mandalay? Won't it be just a matter of time until this is what we are debating? If we don't stop it now and make sure the IBT knows that we don't want any SOB's in the club, they will try to pull this one on us in just a few years.
if they are too old to drive a moho how can they tow a trailer?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #233
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I think you are taking this way to hard and making something out of nothing. This is not a "silver tube" against MOHO issue. This is a "no sob's in my club" issue - period.
Nobody is mad at you or even motorhome owners in general just because you/they own a motorhome. They are mad at a leadership who is hellbent on scuttling the club. If you are identifying with that or if you are in favor of bringing in these SOB's then I guess you do have a right to be upset.
But if you are not in favor of the proposal, then you should be putting that energy into fighting it and educating others on the issue.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #234
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchevy89
I am taking great offence to this statement!! I AM NOT A GOOD OLD BOY NOR DO I THINK I AM BETTER THAN ANY ONE IN A SILVER TWINKIE!! A lot of some people here think this crap.I joined the A/S forum to gey info. not to belittle any other owner of a A/S product. with this kind of mentality is why I don't go to rallies. I enjoy camping but not with complainers like this.SO take your Boo Hoo Hoo and stick it where the son don't shine.
Hear hear! Quote all your statistics and you only have 182 members that have voted. That is ONE PERCENT of the forum membership. The hatred displayed by a few people on this subject is alarming. Some of the statements made about Officers and others could be construed as libelous and I will now send them on the the people being libeled. No one wants to rally with this rhetioric of hatred!!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #235
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
By the way Bob -- why did you get sensitive? From your avatar you're in a CLASSIC MoHo. I don't know anyone that doesn't think those babies are cool... Do you know anyone that doesn't think the Classic MoHo's are cool?
So does that mean that you folks have a distinction in your minds between CLASSIC Airstream Motorhomes and the fibre glass ones? Listen to yourselves.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #236
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
The distinction is between Airstream manufactured Motorhomes and NON Airstream manufactured Motorhomes.

Give the benefit of the doubt to the poster and you can always ask for clarification.

Lets not be so eager to take offense with each other.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #237
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
So does that mean that you folks have a distinction in your minds between CLASSIC Airstream Motorhomes and the fibre glass ones? Listen to yourselves.
Not to further stir up the pot, but. Do I have to like everything that Airstream every produced? Personally, I like the silver rounded trailers and motorhomes as well as the painted Argosys. I do not care for the square motorhomes, basecamps or new conversions. I like the older things, they have more class, I did not care for the looks of the new classic motorhome, which I saw renderings of. But then my newest trailer is 28 years old and my newest tow vehicle is 30 years old.

Just because one does not like the appearance of one type of RV does not mean anything else. That is why there are many types and styles of RVs.

As I have said before, the motorhome issue is "settled case law". If they are made by Airstream, they are eligible for membership. If they are not made by Airstream, they are not eligible for membership.

Just my personal opinion.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #238
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Poll clarification

Gunner,

Quote:
Quote all your statistics and you only have 182 members that have voted. That is ONE PERCENT of the forum membership.
A better indication of WBCCI member sentiment is the member poll taken in 2004. The possibility of accepting other Thor brands into the club was considered at that time. The actual suggestion was,

"The WBCCI membership base should be broadened to include any RV brand made by Thor Industries, parent company of Airstream."

Of the 1058 WBCCI members--not forum members--that responded, 57% strongly disagreed and 19% disagreed.

In other words, a majority of the respondents strongly disagreed with this idea, and three quarters of the membership disagreed with it!

Some rhetorical questions to think about:

Is a unanimous vote of the governing body of an organization in favor of an idea that three quarters of the membership rejected a good example of representative government?

And, having thus voted contrary to the expressed wishes of the membership, what kind of reaction should the governing body expect?

I can give a satisfying answer to the second question from personal experience. Many years ago a municipality in our area put on the ballot a non-binding referendum regarding the establishment of a city income tax. A large majority, not unexpectedly, voted against the tax.

Nevertheless, the city commission (needing the money) enacted a tax.

Shortly thereafter a special recall election was held and the entire city commission--every single member--was recalled from office.

Now that's representative government!

Quote:
The hatred displayed by a few people on this subject is alarming. Some of the statements made about Officers and others could be construed as libelous and I will now send them on the the people being libeled.
Kinda like the old saying, "Let's you and him fight!", eh?

Cheers,
Nuvi