Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #71
VAC President
 
Buttercup's Avatar
 
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,149
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
What bothers me about this whole thing is this - in the past 3 attempts to push this MOHO thing through, no study was ever conducted beyond the 2004 survey of what the membership felt about this. That survey had an overwhelming majority disapprove of having SOB MODOs enter the club to boost membership - yet still, it is pushed year after year... There is another club that has walked down the evivatable path that WBCCI is walking now. We talked about it many times during the old Save Wally Days - that of the Avion Travelcade Club. In desperation, they opened the club up to any product made by Fleetwood, the company that eventually bought the product line. After a few short years the club folded.

Before they did, the final International President wrote the following letter... PLEASE SHARE IT WITH EVERYBODY YOU KNOW.
Quote:
A Message from the President

Burdell & Mable Ann Borchardt
This wonderful club was organized in 1961 and has provided 48 years of memories and great friendships. March 2010 will officially end our reign. As we go forward in these last months let us strive to make it a positive time.
My motto for this year is “LET THE CELEBRATION BEGIN!”
Let us celebrate our club, the years of memories and all the friendships that we have enjoyed. Let us make this a joyful time and close our club down with a huge party!
International may cease to exist but most of our units will continue on with the same spirit of food, fun and fellowship. My challenge to each of you is to work on making your units stronger. In return I promise to work on providing the units with a means of keeping in touch so that we can continue to have combined functions and maybe even a “Reunion” type rally down the line. Maybe from the ashes of our club we will see the rising of a new club.
Help us make our last two Rendezvous’ huge successes by attending and encouraging all our buddies to attend. International is subsidizing both Rendezvous’ so the cost should be very reasonable and I guarantee they will be worth attending.
I want to thank you for the privilege of being your last International President and I will strive to make these last months a positive and fun experience.
Burdell Borchardt #16916
International President
lazyb@worldnet.att.net
(208) 890-0381
3330 S Balthasar Way
Meridian, ID 83642
The question I am left with is who in WBCCI will be writing the same letter?

That club now accepts ANY trailer, camper, MOHO by any manufacturer. They have at least a half a dozen units hanging on. They reorganized under the name of the NORTH AMERICAN RV CLUB. They are a mere shadow of the original club. Do the math from here.
__________________

__________________
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #72
Fraubear
 
fraubear's Avatar
 
1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
What bothers me about this whole thing is this - in the past 3 attempts to push this MOHO thing through, no study was ever conducted beyond the 2004 survey of what the membership felt about this.
The upcoming WBCCI 2013 will contain this question, if it is approved by the EC. The survey was sent to them March and we are waiting to hear back from 5 of the 6. The one officer who responded was very positive.

"Do you favor or oppose allowing a LIFE or minimum 10 year member. who purchases a Thor Motor Coach Class A Motor Home to remain in the club?"

Hopefully many members will respond and the leadership will hear, once again, that the vast majority of the member do not want to camp next to a Thor motorhome.
__________________

__________________
fraubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #73
VAC President
 
Buttercup's Avatar
 
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,149
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well, many responded last time in 2004, it didn't make a difference, they just did it anyway...
__________________
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #74
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Well, many responded last time in 2004, it didn't make a difference, they just did it anyway...
Don't confuse them with facts. Their minds are made up.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #75
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel
 
az-streamer's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 385
Images: 20
*sigh*

new year - same old b.s. re: the moho silliness

once again - the wants of the few outweigh the wants of the many

[ with apologies to Mr. Spock ]
__________________
az-streamer
Jon & Deb
Phoebe & Ellis - Airstreaming Mini-Schauzers

FCU WBCCI #1601
* * * * * * *
I Don’t Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member
 
damonbeals's Avatar
 
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Don't confuse them with facts. Their minds are made up.
Who are these 'them'. I believe only one member has brought this up, I don't think the entire IBT or EC is behind this. Just as with the 'event tax' at the winter IBT, that was one members suggestion.

Damon
#4827
__________________
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #77
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
Who are these 'them'. I believe only one member has brought this up, I don't think the entire IBT or EC is behind this. Just as with the 'event tax' at the winter IBT, that was one members suggestion.

Damon
#4827
It may only be one member's suggestion, but there are multiple members in favor, as evidenced by Post #44 and others on this thread. It's also a generic "Them" because naming names makes it personal and I don't want to make it personal.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member
 
monah's Avatar

 
1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 413
Images: 171
Blog Entries: 8
To put this in perspective....we sent out an electronic survey to ~150 members & affiliates of our Unit. So far we've received 54 responses (fantastic given that the survey just went out two days ago)....87% of those respondents voted NO on the proposed Constitutional amendment and one-third of them said they would leave the club if this passed.

There are quite a few affiliates from nearby Units who own motorhomes so perhaps the other 13% that voted YES came from there - we have no way to confirm that ....wanting to keep the survey anonymous.

We need to encourage other Units to do the same....speaking from a fact-based foundation is critical!!!

Mona
#3339
__________________
M
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #79
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by monah View Post
To put this in perspective....we sent out an electronic survey to ~150 members & affiliates of our Unit. So far we've received 54 responses (fantastic given that the survey just went out two days ago)....87% of those respondents voted NO on the proposed Constitutional amendment and one-third of them said they would leave the club if this passed.

There are quite a few affiliates from nearby Units who own motorhomes so perhaps the other 13% that voted YES came from there - we have no way to confirm that ....wanting to keep the survey anonymous.

We need to encourage other Units to do the same....speaking from a fact-based foundation is critical!!!

Mona
#3339
Your thoughts on the 13% may be a good guess however we have a Classic Airstream Motorhome and we quit the WBCCI because of the ridiculous politics, not because we want to buy a Thor Moho.
__________________
Cheers, Dan
________________________________________


"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
~ Margaret Thatcher ~
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #80
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Your thoughts on the 13% may be a good guess however we have a Classic Airstream Motorhome and we quit the WBCCI because of the ridiculous politics, not because we want to buy a Thor Moho.
Of course. Thing is, the WBCCI members who want to buy Thor class A's don't want to leave the club. If they left the club because they want to buy Thors, then this whole issue would be a non-issue.

Which kind of puts "them" in the incomprehensible position of being more loyal to WBCCI than they are to Airstream. Despite the fact that WBCCI members are a subset of Airstream owners, not vice versa.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member
 
monah's Avatar

 
1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 413
Images: 171
Blog Entries: 8
Hey Smartstream....first and foremost this club should be about friendships, adventures and Wally's legacy. Our unit is quite happy to with those priorities...and for the most part enjoys being blissfully unaware of the silly politics.

I on the other hand am one of many who care deeply for this club...wanting to see it thrive and evolve to meet the needs of the many ....new and heritage members.

You live in a beautiful part of the country - anytime you would like to camp and have fun with fellow Airstreamers just let me know

Mona
__________________
M
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #82
Rivet Master
 
c_lewis77's Avatar
 
1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,084
Images: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post

It seems to me that the only real function of the WBCCI is to promote the Airstream lifestyle. If it ever becomes a general RV Club, it will no longer have a unique personality and will no doubt vanish into obscurity. The Airstream mystique also carries with it a monetary advantage. The value of an Airstream is much higher than average because of quality and their iconic look. As Airstream owners, we should want to support an organization that gives us enjoyment, and promotes the mark. After all, the mystique helps preserve our investment.
I believe that once the precedent is set by allowing non-airstream products into the club, one of the main distinquing characteristics of the WBCCI will be lost. Once the door has been cracked open it cant be shut.
As stated earlier, the WBCCI is THE Airstream club....it says so on the top banner of the website! As a general RV club, what will the WBCCI offer that other larger clubs like good sam do not? How will the WBCCI compete and or distinguish itself in a general RV club setting in a way that will not just increase membership, but enhance the experience as well?
In my opinion there are better ways to focus our efforts in making the club better than rehashing this MoHo issue every year. If the WBCCI is not willing to promote "Airstream passion/ lifestyle" there are certainly other clubs waiting in the wings to carry that torch. (see the Florida State Rally/ Alumapalooza). There is npthing wrong with either one of those rallies, i have been to several non WBCCI rallies and had a great time. For the WBCCI, it can be a lost opportunity.
__________________
1982 34' Limited
2000 Excursion V10 4x4
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #83
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Of course. Thing is, the WBCCI members who want to buy Thor class A's don't want to leave the club. If they left the club because they want to buy Thors, then this whole issue would be a non-issue.

Which kind of puts "them" in the incomprehensible position of being more loyal to WBCCI than they are to Airstream. Despite the fact that WBCCI members are a subset of Airstream owners, not vice versa.
For one thing, the "quid pro quo" practice is in place, here, as with any other political organization, where the wants of others are supported in exchange for them supporting yours.

Secondly, this is largely a $$ reimbursement driven issue, isn't it?

Members in high places are given mileage, per diem, or whatever, to do "mandatory" travel to the International, Winter IBT, a certain number of rallies per year, etc. Isnt't that the case?

If the MOHO issue were pushed thru, those who want those big busses can have them and still receive that rather substantial, tax-free income to travel the country.

If this has changed recently, someone please correct me.

That this is so clearly not a member or majority driven issue, and never has been, speaks loudly to another agenda.....which must be pretty powerful. And, there are a lot of monetary assets for the WBCCI to use while the club is in a state of flux for whatever reason.

Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #84
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
For one thing, the "quid pro quo" practice is in place, here, as with any other political organization, where the wants of others are supported in exchange for them supporting yours.

Secondly, this is largely a $$ reimbursement driven issue, isn't it?

Members in high places are given mileage, per diem, or whatever, to do "mandatory" travel to the International, Winter IBT, a certain number of rallies per year, etc. Isnt't that the case?

If the MOHO issue were pushed thru, those who want those big busses can have them and still receive that rather substantial, tax-free income to travel the country.

If this has changed recently, someone please correct me.

That this is so clearly not a member or majority driven issue, and never has been, speaks loudly to another agenda.....which must be pretty powerful. And, there are a lot of monetary assets for the WBCCI to use while the club is in a state of flux for whatever reason.

Maggie
There is much to what you say, but the amendment as written does not address WBCCI or IBT officers, just life members and annual members of greater than 10 years tenure. It may be true that the people who would benefit most are club officers sufficiently egotistical as to believe the club will die if they don't stick around to lead it back to its former glory, and hipocritical enough to think that a WBCCI led by officers who don't even own Airstreams anymore can ever achieve its former glory. But because the amendment doesn't limit the option to club officers or former officers, the implications of the amendment are even broader than "who profits?"

The implication of the amendment isn't "who profits?" It's "who loses?" And the answer is, Airstream owners everywhere, even those who don't belong to WBCCI.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.