Old 03-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aolani View Post
As I understand it, this was given to the Bylaws Committee (in June 2012) to address some technical parts of the earlier amendment. I believe it was always expected to come back for a vote, albeit possibly slightly revised.

So now it's revised, with the part about the Life and/or 10yr membership clause and (I think) the part about Class A added. Anyway, the vote will be interesting - one way or the other it may get resolved this June...
Unless it fails, in which case we'll see it next year, too.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #30

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
It was also suggested that if Thor motor homes were allowed in the club, the owners could not hold office in WBCCI, and, in fact, they could only be affiliate members. The majority of this committee's members judged that to be extremely biased and prejudicial.
And yet until very recently, members at large— who actually owned Airstreams and not Thors— couldn't vote or hold office. Now they can vote, at least. Double standards, anyone?

The whole MoHo ithue maketh my brain thor…

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
And yet until very recently, members at large— who actually owned Airstreams and not Thors— couldn't vote or hold office. Now they can vote, at least.
That's news to me. When did that happen?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #32

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
That's news to me. When did that happen?
I am mistaken. They can't. Apologies.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #33
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

We had similar in other "groups".. Motorcycling primarily.

We supported it from perspective of "it isn't WHAT you ride, it is THAT you RIDE!"

There is no doubt of strength in numbers. This can strengthen. It can also devolve. Generally folks with lots of cash dominate the direction. The problem is that the "group" slowly excludes and may even shun the "less desirable" who often are the founders who helped, contributed, but did not force "change".

Well, that is a problem in my view.

Caution is often thrown to the wind to APPEAR to be inclusive...to grow membership... It changes relationship. It changes trust. Deep down we are made to belong. Even "loners" or 1%ers, belong.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
2006 16' Safari
Minden , Nevada
What bothers me, is the claim that we will be able to increase club membership if we allow SOB MHO into the club. If these people really cared about the club, they would focus on attracting new members that have purchased AS trailers of which I am seeing a lot of new ones on the road. I'm sorry that they cannot go out and buy another class A MHO from AS but after the vote from Perry GA it should be clear enough that the membership has decided.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #35

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/S Squared View Post
What bothers me, is the claim that we will be able to increase club membership if we allow SOB MHO into the club.
And no wonder; it cannot possibly increase membership. The MoHo issue only applies to people who buy life memberships, or who hold annual memberships for ten years or more. No one, NO ONE, is going to join just because if they stick around for ten years they will be able to sell their expensive Airstream and buy an even more expensive Thor Class A without leaving the club. As a membership incentive, it's a non-starter.

All the issue can possibly do is allow a few select present members, who are tired of owning an Airstream and want to move up to something bigger and more impressive, to continue to play in the same sandbox they always have. They don't want to start again at the bottom as a junior member of a new club, when they're on the top of their present club.

I'd much rather see WBCCI's focus directed toward finding realistic and effective ways to attract and keep new members around for ten years, than to reward present members for brand disloyalty after they've stuck around that long.

Okay. I've ranted and raved too long and too often on this subject. I'll go back to lurking, and let cooler and saner heads continue the discussion in a more meaningful direction.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Question. Did YOU join the WBCCI to belong to an Airstream club? Or a Thor club? Agree with Blue Pearl's post as a Thor club already exists. Also wonder, as Protagonist has noted, how many people could be affected by this. I have a feeling they are not the people who are on Forums to share their concern.

The can was literally kicked down the road at last year's International in Sedalia when it was stopped by a very, VERY alert member who called it on a constitutionality issue. It was sent back to the C&BL Standing Committee for rewording. We now have it before us. Take the time to read the motion, discuss it with members of your unit, your region. But make sure your voice is heard in Huron, South Dakota.

This thread has offered some lively discussion, let's keep it going!
Follow us on Facebook and our website:
www.GreaterLosAngelesAirstreamUnit.wbcci.net
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
We joined the WBCCI immediately after buying our '69 Tradewind...and 2.5 years before we could actually camp in our Airstream. We joined because we bought an Airstream and so we could camp with Airstreams....and along the way have made some incredible friendships (many of whom have contributed to this thread).

When we're out camping on our own I absolutely LOVE seeing everyone enjoy the outdoors, how they decorate their campsite and the smell of campfires......don't really care what people are camping in and usually stop to visit cute little vintage trailers.

When we're at a Wally-club rally I absolutely LOVE being surrounded by all of those aluminum Airstreams...visiting with friends, meeting new friends and in general enjoying the Airstream lifestyle. I don't want my Airstream dwarfed by a MOHO with slide-outs...regardless of whether it's manufactured by Thor, Prevost or any other brand.

Protaganist - Totally agree with you, I've always wondered how someone who has been so immersed in the club could so quickly abandon it's heritage to satisfy their personal needs.

This club can grow, and thrive, and evolve to meet the needs of current and future members.....we need to focus on that!!! As SilverPal said: "Take the time to read the motion, discuss it with members of your unit, your region. But make sure your voice is heard in Huron, South Dakota."

Mona
WBCCI #3339
Oregon Unit President
Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by monah View Post
We joined the WBCCI immediately after buying our '69 Tradewind...and 2.5 years before we could actually camp in our Airstream. We joined because we bought an Airstream and so we could camp with Airstreams....and along the way have made some incredible friendships (many of whom have contributed to this thread).

When we're out camping on our own I absolutely LOVE seeing everyone enjoy the outdoors, how they decorate their campsite and the smell of campfires......don't really care what people are camping in and usually stop to visit cute little vintage trailers.

When we're at a Wally-club rally I absolutely LOVE being surrounded by all of those aluminum Airstreams...visiting with friends, meeting new friends and in general enjoying the Airstream lifestyle. I don't want my Airstream dwarfed by a MOHO with slide-outs...regardless of whether it's manufactured by Thor, Prevost or any other brand.

Protaganist - Totally agree with you, I've always wondered how someone who has been so immersed in the club could so quickly abandon it's heritage to satisfy their personal needs.

This club can grow, and thrive, and evolve to meet the needs of current and future members.....we need to focus on that!!! As SilverPal said: "Take the time to read the motion, discuss it with members of your unit, your region. But make sure your voice is heard in Huron, South Dakota."

Mona
WBCCI #3339
Oregon Unit President
well said, Mona!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If this turns off long term members, imagine how it looks to nonmembers—the longer this bickering goes on in the WBCCI, the more potential members just look at the club and stay away. Thus, a reputation grows—it is far easier to destroy one than build a good one. Even if the leaders of the club were all replaced by reasonable people, it would take years to live down the mess that has been made already.

Gene
Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
This is the same motion that came up at the 2012 Delegates Meeting. There was an attempt to call the question (which I think would have resulted in the motion being voted down) but it did not succeed. Instead the motion was sent to the Constitution and Bylaws Committee to correct technical deficiencies, so here it is again.

I'm hopeful that it will be put to a vote this time, and voted down again.

If it passes, it won't bother me too much, because at that point I'll be through with WBCCI.
Ah I remember now. This is the same author and issue from within my region that has led me and my family to leave the WBCCI. I have had enough of the self proclaimed elites using the money from my membership to push thier agenda .

I have witnessed first hand (with my own ears) said individual not only bad mouth members (including the past president from my former unit) but say "Inexperience will kill this club". That did it for us, and after we fed them that eveing we anounced that we would not be sending our dues for 2013.

So now that I have no skin in the game, I suppose my curiosity on this subject is just that, curiosity.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
This is a difficult topic......it's sure to ignite passionate discussions - which are a good thing because hopefully it shows people care. What we have to keep in mind is that there are people with feelings behind the topic.

It would break my heart to know that any one of my friends, whether it's all 150+ members of the Oregon Unit or those that I've met on the road, were no longer able to pull their trailers. They're always welcome to camp beside me, whatever trailer they own......it doesn't have to be official but they're sweet, kind-hearted people who I don't want to lose because they lost their spouse or they can't (or shouldn't) tow their Airstream any longer.

Mona
Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
When we joined WBCCI it was because we were able to join a group of people in a club uniquely and completely limited to Airstreams. We considered other "membership" clubs that had merits of their own, but ultimately decided we valued a club of silver trailers, carrying on a tradition.

We've all seen the beautiful Airstream Rally photos. What inspires people who look at these is not the campground, not the people, but the sight of a bunch of beautiful trailers Airstream trailers (and Airstream Motorhomes) parked next to each other.

So yes, I think one of the ONLY unique things WBCCI has is our uniqueness. I think that's why many (most) people choose to join us, or to go to Alumaxxx events - those are the ONLY places we get to experience where we can guarantee our fellow members share our love for our Airstreams.

And Yes, we camp outside of WBCCI also, but we chose to join an Airstream camping club.

I hope the amendment gets voted down and DOESN'T come back (but I think I might agree with Protagonist - it might!)

WBCCI #2242
Santa Clara Unit (CA)
Aolani is offline   Reply With Quote