Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #341
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
it looks like you are trying to combine 2 issues.

issue 1: AS no longer offers a class a moho. this is a business decision fully up to AS; regardless if it was profit-based or otherwise.

issue 2: should the wbcci [recognized as an AS club] allow non-AS moho's.
this is really an member-driven option which would only benefit a very small minority of members.
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #342
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
it looks like you are trying to combine 2 issues.

issue 1: AS no longer offers a class a moho. this is a business decision fully up to AS; regardless if it was profit-based or otherwise.

issue 2: should the wbcci [recognized as an AS club] allow non-AS moho's.
this is really an member-driven option which would only benefit a very small minority of members.
The people who support the MoHo amendment are doing the same, by saying:
1 - Because Airstream made a business decision to quit making class A's,
2 - WBCCI owes to to them to let them own a non-Airstream class A without quitting the club.

Airstream and WBCCI are not joined at the hip legally, and a decision by one entity does not obligate the other in any way.

If Airstream went out of business tomorrow, and quit making ANYTHING, sooner or later WBCCI would become a Vintage-only club, when all remaining Airstreams were old enough to be vintage. Would WBCCI then pass an amendment allowing every member to own a non-Airstream? That would be awfully unfair to those who lovingly restore old Airstreams and keep the iconic image alive.

So it is with the class A's. As long as there is a single Airstream class A on the road, WBCCI is being unfair to those owners to even suggest that a non-Airstream class A provides the same qualifications for WBCCI membership as does an Airstream class A.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #343
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Quote:
Airstream and WBCCI are not joined at the hip legally, and a decision by one entity does not obligate the other in any way.

As long as there is a single Airstream class A on the road, WBCCI is being unfair to those owners to even suggest that a non-Airstream class A provides the same qualifications for WBCCI membership as does an Airstream class A.
sounds like we are on the same side of this.
i.e. AS-only

sorry if i mis-read your intent.
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #344
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
[QUOTE=Protagonist;1308724]I am aware that it has been done in the past, though it was before my time. [QUOTE]

It was before your time, but not much before your time. Thanks to the wonders of the internet, you can read all about those thrilling days of yesteryear at the click of a mouse.

If you would like, you can start here,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ted-61430.html

and here,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ibt-44657.html

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #345
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Airstream NEVER really had a Class A assembly line. The Class A Motorhomes were simply a sideline that clogged the factory floor and moved slowly through that line.

The Class A was not uniquely Airstream and was a headache for their dealer network. There are no plans to resume because it does not fit their market demographic. There is virtually no future in conventional Class A production. The factory they were planning to build for new aluminum skinned Class A production had no real payback, given the price point they needed.

Want an Airstream Motorhome? Buy an Interstate.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #346
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am sure they could sell few class A's each year. There are always people that their lives revolve around conspicuous consumption. The “money is no object buyer”. The more expensive and rare something is the more they want it and the more they are willing to pay. If nothing else to say “look what I have and you don’t”.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #347
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
But those conspicuous consumers aren't gonna buy an Airstream Class A, which is just a fancy body on a bread truck chassis. They'll buy a Newell or a proper Class A.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #348
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
But those conspicuous consumers aren't gonna buy an Airstream Class A, which is just a fancy body on a bread truck chassis. They'll buy a Newell or a proper Class A.
I have lots of these folks as clients and believe me when I say the absolutely ZERO PERCENT of this demographic would ever look at an Airstream as either a status symbol or as their ultimate coach!

Newell and custom Prevost............absolutely!

Any mere coach with a fiberglass shell (commonly referred to as a 'plastic' coach).......NO WAY!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #349
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
As a new Airstream owner, I joined the Airstream Club. I recently purchased a Life membership to infuse a few dollars into the club treasury. I did not join the SOB club. I have been is several different brands of motorcycle clubs where the birds of a feather hung out together.

The senior beagles are aways the same, like politicians, power grabbers and skew the elections so they stay in office.

It seems to always take a revolution from below to vote out the misfits and start over.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #350
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Just a random observation and question.....

I think we can agree that the MoHo issue is divisive in the extreme for our WBCCI membership and a source of disharmony.

The WBCCI Code of Ethics says:
Quote:
To be ever mindful of what we say or print with respect to its effect on others so as to avoid disharmony and ill feelings among club members and to dedicate ourselves to the work of cementing together the members of WBCCI in bonds of good fellowship and mutual understanding.
With this in mind, wouldn't the very brining forth of the issue be grounds for an ethics complaint against those proposing the MoHo amendment?

This needs to be put down for good so that we can go back to enjoying the fun and fellowship of the largest AIRSTREAM group also known as the WBCCI.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #351

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
With this in mind, wouldn't the very brining forth of the issue be grounds for an ethics complaint against those proposing the MoHo amendment?
Having made the same point about the MoHo Amendment being a source of disharmony (post #339, this thread), allow me to say, I don't think an ethics complaint would be appropriate.

The people who proposed the MoHo Amendment were not doing it to be divisive, though that was the end result. They thought they were helping out their friends, without realizing that it would hurt the club as a whole. And in fact they still don't believe it hurts the club as a whole, or they'd have withdrawn the amendment before it got to a vote. They believe it's important that their old friends stay in the club— friends who would otherwise have to quit the club in order to buy a bigger, better, and more expensive MoHo.

I can understand why they want their friends to stick around even after those friends sell their Airstreams. However, I believe they're mistaken about the importance of those specific members to the WBCCI, and about the need to pander to those members' egos by changing the rules to suit those few.

Punishing the amendment proponents for loyalty to their friends, for having good intentions but a bad plan, is not appropriate. I'd rather just hold the vote, and call the results final no matter the result, to avoid further divisiveness.

For the record, I voted against.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #352
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Again, most club members either do not know about the forums or know and do not participate in them. There are not enough members to have the few on the forums opposed to the amendment create enough disharmony to affect the powers that be. We, on the forums, are the minority in the club. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #353
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
While I have not been expelled from the Club yet I do have my "Cease and Desist" letter from the Club's Lawyers framed and hanging on my bathroom wall for inspiration when I really need it.

That letter probably cost the Club $500.00. They spent close to $25,000 to expel one member. Not sure what the other expulsion may have cost them.

But be fore warned they wil not hesitate to spend your dues in pursuit of the retention of their benefits and the advancement of their agenda.

Any idea of the cost to date for the MOHO issue
OK, I just have to ask, why would anyone want to belong to a club that sends the law dogs after you if you disagree with any policy put forth by the leadership? I wonder if there is another side of the story?

Bill
2005 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #354
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bill, From world domination level down to an insignificant little club like the WBCCI politics is the same at any level. Power corrupts and the leaders never have enough.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #355

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 ford View Post
OK, I just have to ask, why would anyone want to belong to a club that sends the law dogs after you if you disagree with any policy put forth by the leadership? I wonder if there is another side of the story?

Bill
There's always another side to any story. And they don't always send in the lawyers if you disagree with them.

Most people who join WBCCI do it for the fun, fellowship, and adventure, not for the politics. As for the people who actually enjoy the politics— instead of seeing the politics as a necessary evil of running a non-profit organization— they are to be pitied. But not humored or pandered to by allowing them to play by different rules.

I'm sure even the upper echelons of WBCCI were once like us, before they attained high office and were seduced by the dark side. Unfortunately, Yoda was right, once you give in to the dark side, forever will it control your destiny.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #356
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 ford View Post

Bill
At that time there were several groups , all dissatisfied with the leadership, that wanted to change the Club from the downward spiral it had taken.

Some of the efforts of those resulted in expulsions from the Club, threats of legal action from both sides, and significant non renewals of membership. To date those efforts have not benn successful and thus some are still fighting the battle. Currently that battle focuses on the MOHO issue.

I for one still see that the Club could have value to Airstream owner if the direction of the Club was redirected towards the membership rather than the personnel benefit of the Leadership.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #357
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Just a random observation and question.....

I think we can agree that the MoHo issue is divisive in the extreme for our WBCCI membership and a source of disharmony.

Who would bring this ethics complaint, and who then would rule on it and impose sanctions???

As I recall, part of the problem with WBCCI is that those who make the rules also interpret and enforce them. There are no impartial checks and balances.

As with any other powerful bureaucracy/entity, an absence of adequate and effective oversight invites selective application of rules/doctrines/laws, etc., and just general running amok.

They do what they do because they can.

Maggie
Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #358
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm sure even the upper echelons of WBCCI were once like us, before they attained high office and were seduced by the dark side. Unfortunately, Yoda was right, once you give in to the dark side, forever will it control your destiny.
I don't agree with the above qoute. I believe that it is more complex than that. In my opinion, it is a generational issue. The club has been run primarily by the WWII generation by people whose careers were in the military or education; very structured.

Since the start of my career in the late seventies I have seen the working world go from wearing coats and ties to wearing business casual. The working world adapted to the younger generation.

The WBCCI leadership hasn't been willing to adapt to the changing times. The structure of the IBT almost insures that there will be little change. I believe that the older generation in the WBCCI would rather let it die than make significant and meaningful changes to attract the younger generation and infuse new life blood. In life the only constant is change; if you aren't in a process of changing then you are in a process of dying.

The question is - "Can the WBCCI survive until the younger generation is running the IBT?"

I don't know the answer to this question.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #359
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I have to disagree with part of this synopsis. I don't know what your definition of younger generation is. The WWII generation is currently in their mid 80's and up. The current leaders are in their mid 60's to late 70's. Just before at the beginning of the baby boom generation. I believe that they are from the military, police, fire and large business world' as those are the work histories which have pensions to permit early (prior to 65) retirement. This does support your position that they are from structured work histories.

Change is difficult for everyone and, I think, more difficult for those from these areas of work history.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Apparent View Post
I don't agree with the above qoute. I believe that it is more complex than that. In my opinion, it is a generational issue. The club has been run primarily by the WWII generation by people whose careers were in the military or education; very structured.

Since the start of my career in the late seventies I have seen the working world go from wearing coats and ties to wearing business casual. The working world adapted to the younger generation.

The WBCCI leadership hasn't been willing to adapt to the changing times. The structure of the IBT almost insures that there will be little change. I believe that the older generation in the WBCCI would rather let it die than make significant and meaningful changes to attract the younger generation and infuse new life blood. In life the only constant is change; if you aren't in a process of changing then you are in a process of dying.

The question is - "Can the WBCCI survive until the younger generation is running the IBT?"

I don't know the answer to this question.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #360
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the MOHO issue passes how long before we have to get one of these for the President?

Marchi Mobile -- 1 | Arab Sheikhs Are Going Crazy for This $3 Million Motor Home - Yahoo! Finance

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote