Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #141
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
I am curious, for those opposing the motorhome issue, are you equally opposed to older Airstream motorhomesattending Airstream rallys?

As a sidenote I am neutral, just curious
I'm glad you posted this......it's important that all of us remember that this is about, in this case, allowing a brand of motor home owners to join our single-branded Airstream club. ALL Airstreams are welcome at our rallies, new or old, shiny or not, original or renovated, classic or newer motor homes....and most importantly, the people who own them, young or young at heart

Maybe this thread should be titled Thor MOHO issue so that we can distinguish it from future threads titled (insert brand name here) NON-AIRSTREAM issue. NIKE bought Cole Haan for its tensile air technology years ago and just sold the brand for lots of $$$....Blue Pearl is right, can't predict how long Thor will own the Airstream brand.

Final thoughts....Beatrice Foods.

M

Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #142
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Imagine showing up for a Wally Byam Caravan and you have the only Airstream.

Something's wrong with this scheme.

doug k
...or that your '58 Bubble, or 34' Classic, will be dwarfed by a 49' Class A Thor...oh wait, phew, just woke up from a scary dream

Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #143
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by monah View Post
...or that your '58 Bubble, or 34' Classic, will be dwarfed by a 49' Class A Thor...oh wait, phew, just woke up from a scary dream
Well, they're both Airstreams, anyway. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	In_the_shade_of_the_old_motor_home.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	183969  
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Nor would I oppose some kind of hardship exemption for long time members wanting to remain members while buying non-Airstream motor homes, since Airstream doesn't make them any more. Provided this would be a non-voting, non-office-holding "associate membership"--similar in fact, to present-day Members at Large. But that has been ruled out by the people promoting the motor home amendment.
This is the compromise position, well stated by Nuvi. It seems if those who want new Thor MH's proposed this, they might have a chance at getting this adopted, but they refuse to compromise. Why? I guess they want it all—to be able to still keep voting and running things, but taking an extreme stand means they don't get anything. Those who oppose allowing people with Thor MH's in seem more willing to compromise, but you can't compromise with people who are rigid. So this keeps coming back and it keeps getting voted down while the controversy chases people out of the club.

This works just like Congress.

Gene
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #145
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
I am curious, for those opposing the motorhome issue, are you equally opposed to older Airstream motorhomes attending Airstream rallys?

As a side note I am neutral, just curious
Ownership of a hard-sided Airstream product is a basic prerequisite for membership in WBCCI. Article VI, Section 1 of the WBCCI Constitution. No distinction is made between Airstream trailers, Class As, or Class Bs like my Interstate.

As far as I'm concerned, any WBCCI member in good standing can bring any RV they want to the rallies. At the rally I attended just this past weekend, there was a member in a non-Airstream Class B. Her Airstream was still at home. If they're flying in, and want to rent a Class C or Class A to attend, I don't care.

The only thing about the MoHo issue that chafes me raw is that they want to use a Thor Class A as an alternative to an Airstream, for meeting the basic prerequisite of membership. Airstream and Thor Industries both belong to THOR for now, but that does not make them equal in any way, shape, or form. Meat and potatoes are both foods, but if I order a steak, you had better not bring me a plate of french fries and say, "Here's your steak."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #146
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I also want to remind everyone that this motion is just like the "event tax" motion that was presented at the Winter IBT meeting (and was pulled before the meeting). It is just one regions or one units suggestion. It's up to the club as a whole to vote on it. So it's not fair to say the entire club or it's leader are behind this. But I would also agree that instead of bringing this up every few years, we do something more productive to retain members. This club has no long term plans, which it so desperate needs.

Damon
Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Damon,

Unfortunately, the way this motion was proposed and the organization of a special committee by the IBT gives the impression that the leadership is behind and promoting this motion. In this way, this motion is different from the "event tax" motion.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
I also want to remind everyone that this motion is just like the "event tax" motion that was presented at the Winter IBT meeting (and was pulled before the meeting). It is just one regions or one units suggestion. It's up to the club as a whole to vote on it. So it's not fair to say the entire club or it's leader are behind this. But I would also agree that instead of bringing this up every few years, we do something more productive to retain members. This club has no long term plans, which it so desperate needs.

Damon
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #148
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post

Well, they're both Airstreams, anyway. . .
Got me there
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #149
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
This proposal is stupid--sounds like something the government would do-like calling a door "a means of egress." Maybe when the economy picks up (?), Airstream will once again make motor homes. Then everyone would be happy.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #150
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Oddly enough we have 2 Airstream Box Motorhomes listed for sale on WBCCI.org classifieds - not expensive either.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #151
Rivet Master

You know, the IBT could put a stop to this, even if as said above its put forth by one region or unit, but they don't.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #152
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Actually, I'm not entirely sure that they could even if they wanted to. They have to follow the rules in the constitution, and those rules require that they give a hearing even to ideas that they may not like. (Sometimes I wish we had a benevolent dictator instead, one that just so happens to agree with everything I think.)

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
You know, the IBT could put a stop to this, even if as said above its put forth by one region or unit, but they don't.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I am affraid this motion will pass this year. I believe a lot of members are sick and tired of this motion popping up every year. Most of our unit do not fully understand what its all about. If you try to expain then people get made at each other.
Right now I believe all the International Officers are for the motion. I do not think Richard Girard is for the the motion at least he wasn't the last time I spoke with him. WBCCI doesn't realize how much they need those Argosy and Airstreams and what they would be fhrowing away by allowing Thor units to join.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #154
3 Rivet Member

Gaylejoe...I disagree...People will vote NO because they love the Airstreams..Trailers and real airstream motorhomes. We need to stay on course and vote NO!!! When the motion comes up I hope someone asks for the question so there is no debate and vote right away. Remember last year when the Constitution came up and someone was waiting in the wings to Kill that motion, we can do the same this year. The President told me , he has to follow Roberts Rules, and call for the vote...so lets do the same as they did last year. Vote No !!

Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
http://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote