Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #541
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Not sure you understand what I meant, SAAB 97x rolling on the same line as trailblazer = Airstream Motorhome rolling down the same line as Mandalay MH. in other words the SAAB was made a a chevrolet factory, just minor trim, grill, tailights and interior changes. I would not equate that to a dump truck on the same line as a carfor all intents and purposed both meantioned SAABS are either a Chevy or a Subaru, just badged and trimmed different but the VIN says that they are SAAB's...ie Airstream MH made at Mandalay factory. why is this so easy to accomplish for GM but not THOR?? no dealer issues either, no service issues
Dan
Old 09-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #542
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Dan,

Because with Thor each division operates separately. Not so with GM now, although many years ago each GM division was separate and there were few common parts. Remember when each division had its own engine?

That and Thor doesn't want to do it.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
Not sure you understand what I meant, SAAB 97x rolling on the same line as trailblazer = Airstream Motorhome rolling down the same line as Mandalay MH. in other words the SAAB was made a a chevrolet factory, just minor trim, grill, tailights and interior changes. I would not equate that to a dump truck on the same line as a carfor all intents and purposed both meantioned SAABS are either a Chevy or a Subaru, just badged and trimmed different but the VIN says that they are SAAB's...ie Airstream MH made at Mandalay factory. why is this so easy to accomplish for GM but not THOR?? no dealer issues either, no service issues
Dan
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #543
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Dan,

I understand what you're saying about re-badging, but turn it around to see why Airstream doesn't want to do it and shouldn't.

If it's okay to re-badge a Four Winds Class A as an Airstream, then wouldn't it be just as okay to re-badge a Keystone trailer as an Airstream? Why discriminate?

Airstream is protective of its name, why would it want to allow any other manufacturer to use it?

Likewise, what's in it for Four Winds or Mandalay to rebadge one of their products as an Airstream? They have pride in their product. What would motivate them to re-badge?
Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #544

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
Dan
Not to go too far off topic, but in the case of the Saabaru (Saab 92, Subaru Impreza) I know for a fact that Saab screwed up...er... enhanced the Subaru with their own software modifications. My oldest friend was a Saab tech at the time (he's since moved to a Mercedes dealership.) The Saab was a bit prettier than our WRX Wagon, but the Subaru was so bulletproof that at about 150k miles we replaced it with another that's been just as solid. I don't know if Saab gave the 97x the "Trionic" treatment or not, it may have been a stock Chevy powertrain.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #545
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I actually thought Larry Huttle was more attuned to rebadging a Thor motorhome as a special WBCCI edition model. I think it is the vote of the majority of club members against allowing other brands of motorhomes into the club that is the biggest respector of the present decision to not pursue the matter further.

photography
Old 09-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #546
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
first of all I"m not a huge Airstream MH advocate, unless it's a classic. I was just trying to figure out what the big deal was about Thor doing as all the auto companies do. I guess Chevy, Buick etc are "divisions"?? of GM, whereas Thor's companies are completely different companies? My old company ATA Airlines was "owned" by Global Aero Logistics, that also owned World Airways, and North American Airlines, all separate companies
I would be willing begrudgingly accept it if it's VIN said it was an Airstream like the Chevy, Ford and Mercedes shells do, but no other brand, it's an Airstream club period.
I just wonder how long this dead horse can continue to be beaten, it's been a long time already
Dan
Old 09-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #547
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We can drag this out for another year or two. Great fun. jim
Old 09-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #548
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
We can drag this out for another year or two. Great fun. jim
Maybe for all time as it comes up every few years.

Gene
Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #549
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Maybe for all time as it comes up every few years.
Except that WBCCI doesn't have all time.

If it passes, I figure this will just about do it in.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #550
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Except that WBCCI doesn't have all time.

If it passes, I figure this will just about do it in.
I think the repetition of the matter has already just about done the WBCCI in. That along with the blatant disregard of member initiated and proposed actions. When leadership could and should be using its auspices to further improve membership value and club perception, they instead continue to indulgently exert themselves vigorously to promote their own self interests at high cost to the WBCCI, financially and in the investiture of business time and in the subsequent plummet of morale causing a rapid decrease in membership, unit and region numbers. The clarion call has certainly taken its toll.

photography
Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #551
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The day the MOHO initiative passes, my resignation goes in as region webmaster. I'll continue to support my unit through the rest of the year, but I will not renew.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #552
Rivet Master

John,

Sorry to hear you will be leaving the WBCCI someday because this thing will pass sooner or later. I and many others will be right behind you, I'm sure.

Where I live in the country, we hate to see things suffer. With that, we do what's called "Putting something down". I'm sure you've heard the term. Though not pleasant to see, it's far better to do than to see something suffer in pain knowing there's nothing that can be done to save it.

I'm sad to say, I think the WBCCI is at the point where it needs to be "Put Down". Let it die, remember the fun it brought and move on with life. At this point, the "History" of the WBCCI is all it has to offer for the most.

So for the folks fighting this thing, "Let it die" and move on with life.

You, the club and the "history of the club" will be far better off. I'd much rather remember a club of great caravans, rallies and such than one the way it currently is in the eye of the public.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #553
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I find that with the alternative Alumapalooza, forum rallies, informal get togethers, and with TAC coming on, there is no reason to beat my head against a stone with WBCCI to have folks to Airstream with.

You are correct, it is time to put it down and go on.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #554
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Maybe Airstream can make MOHO's this way! Lol!
http://www.firebox.com/product/3644/VW-Camper-Van-Tent
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #555
Rivet Master

If Airstream were to again to build a Class MoHo, it needs to be the one that BMW Design help with as the NEW Classic and they shelved.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Old 09-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #556
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Exclamation Newell Coach Adds Airstream

Not sure what the impact of this might end up being regarding the motorhome controversy, but here is something I just got through one of my news feeds:
"Newell Coach Adds Legendary Airstream to its RV Offerings" Miami, Oklahoma (PRWEB) September 20, 2011

"Newell Coach and Airstream jointly announced that Newell is now an official Airstream Class B touring motorcoach dealer for the South-Central U.S. Thus, Newell is now able to offer the Airstream Interstate 3500 Touring Coach to motorcoach customers throughout the region and to Newell customers who want to use the Airstream as an adjunct to their existing Newell coach."
Old 09-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #557
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I can see the WBCCI leadership all decked out exiting their bvans with their formal dress and flagpoles in hand for the ceremonies. Where there's a will there's a way. Problem solved! But now who will make the shade???

photography
Old 09-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #558
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I don't really see any affect. If they drive the Interstate to the rally there is no problem.
If they tow it behind the Newell, and that looks like the application being addressed, they would still have to stay in the interstate and use the Newell for a big storage building to fit in with our existing regs.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 09-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #559
Rivet Master

Newell Coach dates back to the '60's when L.K. Newell bought a Silver Streak motorhome and later the Silver Streak motorhome division..
1964 Airstream Streamline Travel Car Motorhome RV - iRV2 Forums
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #560
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Big difference between a class B and a class A.

I just don't see the club elite driving around in a class B.

Tags
wbcci