Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #501
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Paul

You are not far off. One Region #2 officers told me a year ago her next unit would be a Provost, you know one of the "Thor" MHs.

Unfortunately we as Hostel / Mere members are left with just 3 choices. 1 Let them in and watch the Club fold as they deplete the treasure. 2 Fight to keep the out and hopefully preserve the Club. 3 Resign and move on.

I think I have one more year of fight in me but not much after that.

This will be the fifth year for the Can Opener and I will be there. I missed the second Bash but shouldn't let that happen again.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #502
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
I thought that it is interesting that the September Blue Beret has a letter to the editor pushing for the acceptance of non-Airstream motorhomes into the club. The reasoning is that this is a club of friends and not Airstream specific. We will probably hear the beating of this drum until next June.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Old 08-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #503
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs down

I feel the same. I just finished the letters from readers pages 19 and 20. The published letter was in favor of non-Airstream Thor manufactured motorhomes in the WBCCI. The writer did his own survey and said most rvs on the road and those that could be members drive motorhomes and said the WBCCI is a club of "friends" and not "machines." And so the posturing continues as the ducks are strategically lined up in a row for the mid-winter meetings. Slam/dunk or a civil war? It's very unfortunate that membership's vote of "no" does not mean "no" to our leadership. Just what part of no don't they understand? I suppose they will rejoice when all the "troublemakers" have at long last left the club to the SOB motorhome owners and all their friends. I am certain few of us will still be in the club to see the day come.

photography
Old 08-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #504
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
It's not just about members quitting if non-Airstreams are allowed in to the club, it is also about nonmembers watching this endless argument about it and the other squabbles about leadership. Any organization needs to attract new members and the present situation is very public because of the internet—thus potential members learn about the club this way. Many ask themselves why they would want to join such an organization.

Gene
You hit the nail on the head for me. We are first time Airstreamers - went from a tent to 2011 27' International. Ran in to a WBCCI caravan this summer and there were 30 grandmothers fussing over our kids. Really nice people. I camp to get away from the stress and politics of work, not to compound them. IMHO it sounds like the people running your club have too much time on their hands. One question I have though - can people find out who you are from those big red numbers and possibly visit your empty house? If so, that would be a big drawback to someone like me who uses the trailer for weekends and vacations.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #505
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
One question I have though - can people find out who you are from those big red numbers and possibly visit your empty house?
Yes and no. The membership directory is not published on the web and is distributed in book form to members only, hopefully not too many of whom are burglars!

Also, if you pay your dues after a certain cutoff date your name and number do not appear in the directory. Some members deliberately pay their dues late for just that reason.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #506
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Does the book include full address? I seem to recall that it includes only name and town, but ... well, my memory also leaves something to be desired.

Lynn
Old 08-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #507
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Does the book include full address? I seem to recall that it includes only name and town, but ... well, my memory also leaves something to be desired.

Lynn

Gee, Lynn, I thought you wuz a member of the WBCCI.

Yes, the directory includes addresses and email addresses (if given) but not phone numbers.

We live on a well-traveled country road and our Airstream is visible from the road. I worry more about a local burglar noticing the absence of the trailer and assuming that we are not home.

Although it would be especially bad news for the local burglar if he assumed from the lack of the trailer that we were not home, when we were.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #508

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
I can't believe this stupid thread... you mean to tell me that one or more persons in leadership roles feel that it is necessary to include NON-Airstream motorhomes in our club to keep numbers up? That's wrong - what they need to do is stop with the ridiculously long formal meetings and uninteresting seminars to the new young members at Int'l Rallies. The club was started by the founder of Airstream for Airstream owners, and their families and friends, and NOT for motorhomes that have absolutely no relation to Airstream other than it is owned by a corporation that really doesn't do much for its own future.

I say NO to non-Airstream motorhomes in the WBCCI. End of discussion.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #509
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
I can't believe this stupid thread... you mean to tell me that one or more persons in leadership roles feel that it is necessary to include NON-Airstream motorhomes in our club to keep numbers up?

I say NO to non-Airstream motorhomes in the WBCCI. End of discussion.
No, one or more persons in leadership roles feel that it is necessary to include non-Airstream motor homes so that they can buy a Thor motor home while retaining their Gold Row perks in WBCCI, the Airstream Owners Association.

If you say NO, please vote that way in your unit election next spring, because it will be on the ballot. . . again.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #510
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The " letters to the editor" in the Blue beret included another put up and ad for approval of the motorhome resolution. If you believe the leadership (dominated by motor home owners) will give anyone the space in the Blue Beret to publish the alternate view, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale cheap.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:57 AM   #511
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
The club was started by the founder of Airstream for Airstream owners, and their families and friends, and NOT for motorhomes that have absolutely no relation to Airstream other than it is owned by a corporation that really doesn't do much for its own future.
Even though I agree with what you say, I must correct you on one point. The WBCC(no "I" then) was started by participants of various caravans sponsored by Wally Byam. At that point in time any trailer was welcomed to participate in those caravans. "All you needed was an itchy foot and a travel trailer" to go on a Wally Byam's Caravan. In those days, there were many "fill in the blank caravans." The thought was by being welcoming, one might recruit them to an Airstream. Unfortunately, this welcoming of potential(customers in Airstreams case) club members is NOT the motivation.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #512
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
After the club was formed by the caravan participants, it was administered by Wally's cousin Helen and she had and office in the California Airstream facility and was paid by Wally. When Airstream moved to the Jackson Center in Ohio Helen retired. The company continued to fund the club but withdrew some of its support. After Wally died and the company was sold to Beatrice Foods, the club had to become more self supporting. When Beatrice almost went broke they sold off the interest in the company to Thor for almost nothing. Thor also reduced their support. In recent years, Thor has conducted a survey and changed its marketing focus to a younger working couples that do not have the time to take the long caravans the club specializes in. At one time, quite a few Airstream sales were made to members of the club. Now less than 10% of Airstream sales are to club members.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #513
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
In recent years, Thor has conducted a survey and changed its marketing focus to a younger working couples that do not have the time to take the long caravans the club specializes in.
That was made quite obvious to me by the wholehearted support Airstream gave Alumapalooza in contrast to almost totally ignoring the WBCCI International Rally. They are putting their money where the sales are.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #514
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
The brochure you posted is from 1952 and Wally did allow other makes of trailers to participate in his caravans. However, this stopped soon after that, I am sure that he realized that it was dumb to have other makes on the caravans when he made Airstream.

The Wally Byam Caravan Club was begun in 1955 and I am sure that only Airstreams were allowed into the club at that time.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Even though I agree with what you say, I must correct you on one point. The WBCC(no "I" then) was started by participants of various caravans sponsored by Wally Byam. At that point in time any trailer was welcomed to participate in those caravans. "All you needed was an itchy foot and a travel trailer" to go on a Wally Byam's Caravan. In those days, there were many "fill in the blank caravans." The thought was by being welcoming, one might recruit them to an Airstream. Unfortunately, this welcoming of potential(customers in Airstreams case) club members is NOT the motivation.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #515
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Airstream recognized that, to continue in business, the company needed to change the way it operated and its target market focus and product. The club has not done that yet and has failed to provide a package of benefits that the newer Airstream owners can utilize and value. We need to change and improve our benefit package before it is too late or we will be come irrelevant to the Airstream community, as the 6% sales to the club members has become irrelevant to the Airstream company.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #516
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When the company supported the club, were there no dues, or only very, very low dues? Low or nonexistent dues can make it easy to join, and if people were automatically enrolled when they bought an Airstream, that combination could account for the very high numbers of members back in the 1960's.

Gene
Old 08-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #517
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
The brochure you posted is from 1952 and Wally did allow other makes of trailers to participate in his caravans. However, this stopped soon after that, I am sure that he realized that it was dumb to have other makes on the caravans when he made Airstream.

The Wally Byam Caravan Club was begun in 1955 and I am sure that only Airstreams were allowed into the club at that time.

Bill
You may enjoy reading this one written December 1955. The introduction written by Wally is very interesting. It is a directory of people having participated in caravans.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #518
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Wow! Names and address! That's the kind of info that folks would kick and scream about if it were available on the web.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
You may enjoy reading this one written December 1955. The introduction written by Wally is very interesting. It is a directory of people having participated in caravans.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #519
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Wow! Names and address! That's the kind of info that folks would kick and scream about if it were available on the web.

Lynn
That is from a Wb site...
Old 08-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #520
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Trend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
That was made quite obvious to me by the wholehearted support Airstream gave Alumapalooza in contrast to almost totally ignoring the WBCCI International Rally. They are putting their money where the sales are.
Do you blame them (Airstream)? I did the same thing and will continue to do so.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci