Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #1079
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Is it gaming the system, poor management or is........
“…something is rotten in the state of Denmark.”
A line spoken by Marcellus in Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act I

“Something is not right, rife with errors from top to bottom, leading to suspicion of motive. If the administration knew about the problems and chose not to prevent them, then clearly something is rotten in the state of Denmark.”

Old 05-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #1080
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, I'm not going to kick and scream about the Collins maneuver. Sure, it's exploiting a loophole in the current constitution. But how many of these people are really going to go to this length if all they can do in return is to attend luncheons?

Lynn

Old 05-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #1081
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Oh, I'm not going to kick and scream about the Collins maneuver. Sure, it's exploiting a loophole in the current constitution. But how many of these people are really going to go to this length if all they can do in return is to attend luncheons?

Lynn
The reality is that these folks at the top are going to do what they want to do, when they want to do it, and are not merely attending luncheons!

They consider themselves their own authority.

Who's going to prevent them, report them or sanction them? Their peers?

Maggie
Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #1082
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Fortunately, I'm too new to WBCCI to personally know anyone who feels the need to change the club's constitution just so that they can stay in an Airstream club without an Airstream. I'd like meet them, though— just once— so I could ask them face-to-face what makes them so bloody special. And so I could learn their names and faces and put them on my "never speak to again" list.

And I have to wonder… Do these same people also think they ought to be able to stay in TAC without an Airstream?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #1083
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Understand that some members regard this as a social club. They believe activities with friends is the purpose. To someone with that view, perhaps the Airstream affiliation isn't essential.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #1084
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
Understand that some members regard this as a social club. They believe activities with friends is the purpose. To someone with that view, perhaps the Airstream affiliation isn't essential.
I'm a new member, been with WBCCI less than a year. To me, WBCCI is primarily a social club, but it's a social club made up of Airstream owners. If I want to hang out with people who don't own Airstreams but do own RVs, I've got my Good Sam or my Passport America memberships to fall back on.

I have friends who don't belong to WBCCI. I have friends who don't own an Airstream. I have friends who don't own RVs at all. I have friends who don't even like camping. I don't need to bring any of them into WBCCI to have a good time with them.

Conversely, the people I've befriended in WBCCI in the short time I've been a member won't quit being my friends if I quit the club. It just means that there would be some WBCCI events that we can't attend together. Right now, since I still work for a living, there are WBCCI events I can't attend with them anyway, so not much difference there. But there would still be WBCCI events I could attend as an ex-member, such as the luncheons or the buddy rallies, by going as the guest of a member. An ex-life-member is no different in that regard, except he probably has more friends in WBCCI to extend invitations to him.

I suspect that the people who want the MOHO amemdment to pass so they can stay in the club aren't doing it for the social opportunities; I suspect they're doing it because they're addicted to the club politics.

Honestly, if WBCCI is the be-all, end-all of anybody's life, then I feel nothing but pity for them, because there should be more to life than just WBCCI. It's only when they attempt to devalue the club for the rest of us that my feelings of contempt kick in.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #1085
2 Rivet Member

FYI, the New England Unit (NEU) at its Spring Business Meeting voted unanimously to remain an Airstream club.
WBCCI 1062, Wash DC Unit
Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #1086
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSub View Post
FYI, the New England Unit (NEU) at its Spring Business Meeting voted unanimously to remain an Airstream club.
Not sure that was an issue up for vote.

Did your unit take any action on the MOHO issue or the Revised Constitution?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #1087
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

And I have to wonder… Do these same people also think they ought to be able to stay in TAC without an Airstream?
Since TAC has no rules the answer is yes.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #1088
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Our Unit has not had enough members present during State Business Meetings to have one. I have polled them and we are split 50/50. Those voting for the MH have no idea in this World what the issue is nor do they seem to care. I suspect it just may pass this year or will be very close.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #1089
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
Our Unit has not had enough members present during State Business Meetings to have one. I have polled them and we are split 50/50. Those voting for the MH have no idea in this World what the issue is nor do they seem to care. I suspect it just may pass this year or will be very close.
And they walk among us.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #1090
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Hi, gaylejoe,

I don't understand your post and wonder if you could clarify. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
Our Unit has not had enough members present during State Business Meetings to have one.
Do you mean you didn't have a quorum, so you couldn't take a vote? I don't know what your unit constitution calls for, but the quorum for the units that I know about is set pretty low (10% of the members).

Quote:
I have polled them and we are split 50/50. Those voting for the MH have no idea in this World what the issue is nor do they seem to care. I suspect it just may pass this year or will be very close.
To pass, a constitutional amendment must receive a 2/3 majority vote. Even 50/50 is not enough. From what I am hearing from people, it's unlikely to pass.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #1091
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
To pass, a constitutional amendment must receive a 2/3 majority vote. Even 50/50 is not enough. From what I am hearing from people, it's unlikely to pass.
I believe units instruct their delegates and the delegates vote the membership of the unit. They can be instructed to vote the complete membership in favor or against or can be instructed to vote in the proportions the membership voted at their meeting.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #1092
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I believe units instruct their delegates and the delegates vote the membership of the unit. They can be instructed to vote the complete membership in favor or against or can be instructed to vote in the proportions the membership voted at their meeting.
True. Our unit votes proportionately. The proportions on this issue were 20% for and 80% against.

Tags
wbcci