Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #939
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
Is that the only issue? From some of the reads, it sounds like this is becoming political; sad.
Carol gave you the basic issue, but the history is a little more complicated. Back in 2004 WBCCI conducted a poll, one question of which addressed the question of opening the club up to other brands. Something like 80% of the respondents disapproved.

Then in 2007, after Airstream stopped making motor homes, admission of Thor motorhomes into the club was proposed as a constitutional amendment. A 2/3 majority is required to pass, but about 2/3 voted against it.

However a relatively small number of the International officers are not content with this decision and so another amendment to let owners of Thor motor homes into the club will be on the agenda for the 2012 Delegates Meeting.

I do want to emphasize that nobody that I know has any problem with Airstream motor homes--the issue is whether the club will cease to be the Airstream owners association.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #940
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Well stated and appreciated. I would have to agree with the current standard and not the proposed allowance of other brands.

IMHO, this sounds like a "no brainer"; am I missing something?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #941
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
What you are missing is that there a few members who cannot stand to be without WBCCI and do not want to buy a trailer. As the saying goes, they must not have a life.

Bill

Quote:
Well stated and appreciated. I would have to agree with the current standard and not the proposed allowance of other brands.

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #942
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
What you are missing is that there a few members who cannot stand to be without WBCCI and do not want to buy a trailer. As the saying goes, they must not have a life.
Has anyone proposed an "Associate Membership" for these individuals who have been Life-Time Members? One that would come with no voting rights or ability to hold office.

Just a thought.......
Old 01-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #943
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
I think most members would agree with you. But there is an enormous gulf between the International officers and most of the membership. This is partly a consequence of the strongly hierarchical organization of the club.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #944
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Has anyone proposed an "Associate Membership" for these individuals who have been Life-Time Members? One that would come with no voting rights or ability to hold office.
This idea was proposed, but rejected by the Motor Home Committee, which further judged those who proposed it to be "extremely biased and prejudicial".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motor_home_committee_June_2011.pdf (80.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #945
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
This idea was proposed, but rejected by the Motor Home Committee, which further judged those who proposed it to be "biased and prejudicial".
Don't know who the Motor Home Committee might be, but if a thought of compromise is valued as "biased and prejudicial", I guess it's a badge I'd have to wear with honor.

Oh well.......
Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #946
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Don't know who the Motor Home Committee might be, but if a thought of compromise is valued as "biased and prejudicial", I guess it's a badge I'd have to wear with honor.

Oh well.......
RAG the members of the MOHO Committee is public and can be found somewhere at wbcci.org.

As an aside, my Unit - Watchung NJ - is geographically pleasing to where you live. We have a member base that stretches from coastal NC to Saratoga, NY. The bulk of our member base resides in Northern NJ and we have a couple of member families who call PA home. Our first Rally of the season is April 20-22 at Pine Hill RV Park in Kutztown, PA.

I invite you and yours to camp with us for the weekend and get to know us "Hillbillies" a bit better. Our Unit in the midst of developing a program where new prospective members can enjoy a weekend with us at no cost. It will most likely be a lottery system so stay tuned here at the forums and at watchungunit.org. Our Unit newsletters are posted at our site. These monthly missives offer a glimpse into our Unit goings on as well. Hope to meet you down the road.

--Dave
WBCCI #6481
Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #947
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join the group. go to some local unit rallies. go on a caravan if you are retired or otherwise can go. then make a decision on the club. if you can participate, the caravans are the strength of WBCCI.
Motorhome amendment was up when we joined. no big deal. in the short run nothing much will happen if it passes, nothing much will happen if it fails. Club works fine. fairly inexpensive, good units, a totally unique way of running almost professional but not commercial caravans. (kitty system, insurance, good documentation, great leaders)
Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #948
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Join the group. go to some local unit rallies. go on a caravan if you are retired or otherwise can go. then make a decision on the club. if you can participate, the caravans are the strength of WBCCI.
Motorhome amendment was up when we joined. no big deal. in the short run nothing much will happen if it passes, nothing much will happen if it fails. Club works fine. fairly inexpensive, good units, a totally unique way of running almost professional but not commercial caravans. (kitty system, insurance, good documentation, great leaders)
It may be fairly inexpensive for caravans on a lengthy per day comparison to other clubs, however I don't feel nearly $100.00 for dues and $500.00 to attend the International rally is anything other than quite pricey!

photography
Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #949
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
It may be fairly inexpensive for caravans on a lengthy per day comparison to other clubs, however I don't feel nearly $100.00 for dues and $500.00 to attend the International rally is anything other than quite pricey!
$500 for five plus days of RV'ing fun is relative. I took my son to a NY Rangers hockey game last week - cost for the two of us - $500+ for two hours of fun and priceless memories.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #950
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Motorhome Issue???

It appears that Thor and the WBCCI International would very much like to have this modification of acceptable ownership. If so, why don't they remove the Four Winds graphics on a few models and replace it with Airstream? Doesn't seem all that difficult.

As a previous member of a Corvette Club, I can tell you clearly, there were no Ferraris allowed!

Perhaps this is oversimplification.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #951
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
why don't they remove the Four Winds graphics on a few models and replace it with Airstream? Doesn't seem all that difficult.
It's my understanding that re-badging is a dealer and warranty quagmire, I'm sure those matters can get real sticky for all involved. Airstream specific dealers do not sell other Thor products per say.

--Dave
Old 01-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #952
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
It appears that Thor and the WBCCI International would very much like to have this modification of acceptable ownership. If so, why don't they remove the Four Winds graphics on a few models and replace it with Airstream? Doesn't seem all that difficult.
Actually, that was what was proposed in 2007. Thor was going to bring out an "Airstream Edition" and call it an Airstream for membership purposes. (But Airstream dealers weren't going to sell them or service them.) After that idea got voted down Thor lost interest in the project.

Tags
wbcci