Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #897
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
To be more precise, the net membership has been dropping for years. Further analysis shows, we have been attracting fewer new recruits each year and we have had about the same percent of old timers ageing out of the RV lifestyle. We also experience early drop outs in membership years 2 - 5. The early leavers are the trend I think is troublesome. They try the club out and find the benefits offered are not worth the cost of membership to them. If we could satisfy these younger people, we might be able to attract more young people to the club.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #898
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Is it really dropping or evolving?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #899
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I'm to lazy to look up the data, but it seems that if WBCCI hasn't already, it soon will reach the point that it has lost membership over half the years it has been existent.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #900
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Yes.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #901
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
How did you get that from what he said?
I suppose you can read into it what you want. I could have phrased it a better. I wasn't referring to Nuvi, but to the approach of the WBCCI as a group in dealing with membership losses. Thanks for asking for the clarification.

Why this club is chronically losing members has been debated for years. It may be unstoppable (many traditional clubs are losing members rapidly as the internet changes things), but may be slowable.

I was wondering what we would have done had we been given a one year membership in the WBCCI when we bought our trailer. I doubt we would have joined for a 2nd year. We did go to a very small and informal rally in the first year and while it was an enjoyable experience, by then I had read on the Forum of the decline of the organization, the MH issue, internal fighting, attempts to expel members and more. Why should we send our money to such a group?

By now, other groups have started and the Forum has taken a larger role in filling the space the WBCCI once did. We have friends with RV's and sometimes we have camped with them even though they are not enlightened enough to have an Airstream. And we travel to many destinations all over the US and Canada and have little time for rallies no interest in caravans. It may be that others have the same approach—do people have less interest in rallies and caravans than they did 40 years ago? There may be a shift in attitudes that makes the primary services the WBCCI seems to provide less important to Airstream owners. People have always tried to connect with each other, but the Forum makes it easy, is free or cheap, has a lot of Airstream info readily at hand and it goes on all year—it is hard for the WBCCI to beat that, but the WBCCI's decline started long before the Forum was invented.

The job of membership chairman is never a lot of fun in a volunteer organization. I don't envy Don and don't see how he can make much of a dent in the annual declines so long as the leadership doesn't change. Making the transition to a more internet based organization is not easy and other groups have not mastered it either, but is necessary. It seems free (or heavily discounted) one year memberships may be a relatively cheap way to attract people, but as has been pointed out, new members don't stay for a lot of years. Whether the economics of it make sense, I don't know.

So, the organization does not appeal to most people. Considering how many people say they are staying in because they've made friends in a unit, it is the units and not the international organization that keep members paying dues. And it is the international leadership that repels people and causes them to leave or never join. Some never join because the group is very weak on the internet. Marketing can only hide these facts from members for a while—apparently it takes 5 to 7 years to figure it out for lots of members.

So to answer my own question, the present approach is not effective. The membership chair's efforts, no matter how good they are, will not help much until the organization is reinvented. Some people are coming up though the system and hope to change the WBCCI. I hope that works, but I'm not hopeful it will.

Gene
Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #902
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I was wondering what we would have done had we been given a one year membership in the WBCCI when we bought our trailer. I doubt we would have joined for a 2nd year.
I totally agree with that, and suspect we would not have continued the member after the first year either. The $35, $55, or even $100 a year in itself is not a deal breaker considering fuel and other expenses related to our travel. Given the money wasn't misused (as it is in the eyes of many). A diluted club makes it a totally unnecessary expense.

This MOHO issue is one, of a few, make-or-break issues we're watching closely. We're, (hopefully) young enough to be one of those 30+ year members, someday. No I won't join now and fight from within. I would do whatever I could to support the club, but I won't join with the intention of changing it.

As a young man I was given some really good advice. Never marry someone with the expectation you can change what you can't live with.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #903
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
MOHO issue

For me it is simple! I have to put up with enough politics as it is without adding to it by being a WBCCI member. I have already advised them, for what it is worth, that I will not renew my membership if they pass the MOHO proposal. Actually I have a commitment to fulfill at the Top of Georgia through the end of 2013 but after that I'll be history, not that they care. At any rate, in my opinion, the WBCCI is a dinosaur and will follow the same path to extinction.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #904
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
... Marketing can only hide these facts from members for a while—apparently it takes 5 to 7 years to figure it out for lots of members...
Gene
Quite right, 7 years in my case to go from eager to underwhelmed. It is the refining of the club into International Past President Jim F.'s vision of quality members over quantity of members that is fast becoming the new reality of the remaining membership, however those numbers are touted. Post after post of, "money is no object," and "just ignore the politics," and "I love my unit so it's totally worth it," makes the International club just that much more comfortable with "their" club and confident in their collective rule that they never relinquish once an officer. All the Wally Byam "dyed in the wool" beret wearers supporting the leadership no matter what is ironically self defeating.

Precurser to the 2020 and then the Revision committee, I turned Renee E. down to serve on the Member Share Committee believing it could be a conflict of interest and would interfer with my expression and judgments. I think it has changed many an individual as they climb that ladder.

photography
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #905
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Wow! How many years now have you been beating that dead horse? The reason WBCCI is declining is YOU! You all want to be in charge and have it your way.

A good example of a very few folks disrupting a larger group to the point of disaster.

Why not put your envy and bitterness aside and let the officers run the club. You folks are the OWSers of the WBCCI.

Well, that ought to stir the pot.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #906
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm a brand-new member. I don't know if my attitude is typical of new members or not. Take it for what it's worth.

I didn't join WBCCI because of anything related to the bureaucratic internal politics of WBCCI. In fact, I failed miserably in even reading all nine hundred thirty-three previous posts on this thread. I don't have the time to read all of the back-and-forth that has been part of this thread since October 2010. I do have time, though, to read just enough to get disgusted with it all. So much bitterness and vitriol on this thread!

I joined WBCCI because someone from a local unit contacted me and convinced me it would be fun. If I could join local units without joining the International club in the process, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and not because of the membership dues. To my way of thinking, I paid $80 to join a local unit, not $65 to join the International club and $15 to join a local unit. I can't help that the International club takes $65 of my dues and leaves the people at the local level with just the remainder. That's just bureaucracy in action.

At the local level, as far as I can see so far, the main issues they care about for recruiting new members are: (a) do I own an Airstream; and (b) do I want to come out and play with them? If I can answer "yes" to both questions, I'm welcome, and if I answer "no" to at least one of them, then we go our separate ways with no hard feelings.

In the final analysis, isn't that what a club should be about? Isn't that why it's called a "club" and not some pretentious name like an "association" or an "organization" or a "society"?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #907
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Arrow

At this point everyone that wants the amendment defeated should be talking about how their individual units are planning to debate this issue and vote on it.

Threats that you will not renew-meaningless.

Take that attitude to your units delegate, it is only that persons power to to cast your units vote that matters. (make sure you have a delegate attending[an affiliate member may stand in])

I would only ad that the proponent of the amendment should also be made aware of your individual opinion, venting here is accomplishing little especially by non members

Now what have you done in that regard.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #908
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
At this point everyone that wants the amendment defeated should be talking about how their individual units are planning to debate this issue and vote on it.
If a unit does NOT vote on this or does NOT send a delegate is it safe to assume that this is a NO vote and helpful to our cause?? This would require a 2/3 yes vote to pass??
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #909
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
If a unit does NOT vote on this or does NOT send a delegate is it safe to assume that this is a NO vote and helpful to our cause?? This would require a 2/3 yes vote to pass??
No, I don't believe it's safe to assume that. As long as there is a quorum at the delegates meeting, what is needed for the measure to pass is a YES vote by 2/3 of the units represented at the meeting.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #910
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
From the way the Constitution is written, I agree that only 2/3 of the votes case at that meeting would be required to adopt the amendment. I think the abstentions would be counted as not voting for the proposal and would therefore help defeat it. I agree that all units should take a vote as soon as possible to keep it from being adopted.

Tags
wbcci