Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
question.....if SAAB can sell and service a 92x, built by Subaru in Japan. As well as the 97x, built by GM on the Trailblazer line.....both 92x and 97x VINS identify them as SAAB's
Why doesn't Thor take that route? having the a/s MH come right off another makes line, just changing a few trip pieces?
I'm not saying I agree with it, but if GM can do it without warranty issues, why can't Thor?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Dan,

Because, as I understand it, Thor operates each subsidiary independently and in competition with each other. Also, to be WBCCI eligible, the RV must be manufactured by Airstream not Thor.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
question.....if SAAB can sell and service a 92x, built by Subaru in Japan. As well as the 97x, built by GM on the Trailblazer line.....both 92x and 97x VINS identify them as SAAB's
Why doesn't Thor take that route? having the a/s MH come right off another makes line, just changing a few trip pieces?
I'm not saying I agree with it, but if GM can do it without warranty issues, why can't Thor?

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Dan, The position that I think Region 3 wants me to take is that if its sold as an Airstream product then we will welcome the product with open arms. If it is sold as some other product as a way to incorporate new motorhomes into WBCCI then I should vote no. Unless directed otherwise by my units and board this is what I understand my mandate to be.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Old 11-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Far as I am concerned, it it has Airstream on it and is sold by Airstram as an Airstream, then it is fine. I do not care if they build it at the Airstream plant or just drive it through for a sitcker and the paperwork. I hope Airstream does do a special run of MH. Would solve the issue for WBCCI in my mind.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Far as I am concerned, it it has Airstream on it and is sold by Airstram as an Airstream, then it is fine. I do not care if they build it at the Airstream plant or just drive it through for a sitcker and the paperwork. I hope Airstream does do a special run of MH. Would solve the issue for WBCCI in my mind.
Now that is what make for horse racing, a difference of opinion.

I think the solution to the MH issue is to remove the availability of membership from anything not manufactured by Airstream and serviced by an Airstream Dealer. No shell games or renames.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Now that is what make for horse racing, a difference of opinion.

I think the solution to the MH issue is to remove the availability of membership from anything not manufactured by Airstream and serviced by an Airstream Dealer. No shell games or renames.
I concur. The build contribution of the Airstream factory should be significant and Airstream dealers should handle servicing and warranty. None of this "sticker" stuff.

Less than that is just a shell game.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Just curious, are the two class Bs sold by AS totally built at the factory except the basic van units--drivetrain and body? I owned an Interstate and on the inside one could easily tell it was an AS. What about the possibly new class As, will they be immediately ID as AS on the inside? To me the interior of an AS is as much of sign of the AS culture as the aluminum exterior is. Should AS decide to build class As I think the interior of the unit might be as important as the exterior badging would be to the acceptance of these units into the AS community. wadutink...zz
Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Acceptance of anything sold as an Airstream by Airstream dealers is guaranteed by the WBCCI Constitution. No questions asked. VW based Bvans never saw the inside of Jackson Center but were admitted to membership. They were a nice unit but, in my mind, a little overpriced.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
When did the VW Bvans come into the market? zz
Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Not a VW but Airstream sold 250 Westfalias made by Vauxhall in 2005 and the only thing changed from the European model was they replaced the cartridge toilet with a black holding tank.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Actually they were on MB Sprinter vans. Really neat, wish I had bought one when I could. zz
Old 11-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Good question
Who actually built the Westfalia? It is my understanding it was completely built in Europe and in fact NOT built by A/S?
So what makes some thing eligible in the club? VIN identified as A/S or actually built by A/S? I thought it was the latter
Dan
Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
In the Piedmont NC unit, we have a member that owns a Westphalia, it does have a unique appearance.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Letter on MoHo issue from some Wisconsin Unit officers

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
This information came today in our January Southern Illinois Newsletter:

Good news – the club operations are following the break even budget that was approved.

<snip>

Letter From the Wisconsin Unit

The president, treasurer, and past president of the Wisconsin Unit #116 sent a letter to the International Board of Trustees with carbon copies of all unit presidents and Cindy Reed was WBCCI Headquarters.

The essence of their letter was the request that any motion presented at any future IBT meeting be tables until such time that each Region President has requested a vote from their units. The letter referred to the announcement that Airstream, Inc had indicated that it would be willing to manufacture a quantity of new mote homes if WBCCI members expressed sufficient interest.
In case anyone is interested, here is the full text of this letter, which was sent to all members of the IBT and unit presidents.

Quote:
Recent events and statements made at rallies this fall have once again brought the motor home issue to the forefront. A brief summary of the history of this issue might be helpful at this point.

At present Article VI, Section 1 of the WBCCI Constitution limits membership in WBCCI to owners of Airstream recreational vehicles, while Article IV, Sections 9 and 10 of the Bylaws and Policy limit attendance and participation at club events—except for Unit buddy rallies—to WBCCI members while using only their Airstream recreational vehicles. An exception is permitted allowing members to attend WBCCI functions provided members do not attend in any other make of recreational vehicle.

In a 2003 membership survey, approximately 80% of the respondents disapproved of opening up WBCCI to non-Airstream recreational vehicles. In 2007 an amendment to Article VI of the WBCCI Constitution was proposed to open WBCCI membership to owners of certain other Thor motor home brands. This amendment was voted down by a sizeable majority.

The renewed interest in the motor home issue has been prompted by two recent announcements:

First, the chairman of Airstream, Inc. indicated that Airstream would be willing to manufacture a quantity of new motor homes if WBCCI members expressed sufficient interest. We hope that WBCCI pursues that option, as it would solve the problem of present WBCCI motor home owners being unable to replace their units without any need to alter the WBCCI’s identity as the association of Airstream owners.

Second, it was reported that one member had solved the problem of WBCCI membership by being named co-owner of a friend’s Airstream trailer then purchasing a non-Airstream motor home in which to travel. We are concerned that, as part of the revision of WBCCI Bylaws and Policies proposed for the next Mid Winter IBT, Article IV, Sections 9 & 10 might be amended or eliminated so that members in that position could then fully participate in WBCCI events in non-Airstream recreational vehicles. Any amendment to the by-laws and policies does not require a vote from the general membership, and requires only a majority vote from the IBT to pass. While meeting the letter of the WBCCI Constitution and Bylaws—as so revised—this would clearly represent an end-run around the spirit of the Constitution and Bylaws as currently written. It would also contradict the wishes of the membership as expressed in both the 2007 vote and the 2003 membership survey.

We are requesting that any motion presented at any future IBT meeting that would allow non-Airstream manufactured recreational vehicles or their owners to participate in WBCCI events or qualify for membership, be tabled or sent back to the maker/committee until each Region President has requested a vote from their units. Only then should a motion be reintroduced for a vote by the IBT. This is the only way that region officers can accurately represent their units.
The motor home issue was not included in at least some of the “round table discussions” held by the region officers (and many members were not present for them), so a majority of the WBCCI membership would not be accurately represented.

A motion of this magnitude brought forth without any advance publication cannot be ethically voted on by any region or international officer, even though our constitution allows for bylaw and policy change without the vote of the general membership. A motion to change the very foundation of our club requires a vote from ALL members. We trust that all officers of the International Board of Trustees will agree with this request.

Tags
wbcci