Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #813
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Sorry Carol – I could not see the very subtle hints that it was an opinion. The suppositions looked as though it was presented as a fact by the exclusion of the words “in my opinion” and the inclusion of “factual” statements about a twice over cleansing rendering a inappropriate result.

Truth be told, the first forums was shut down not as a cleansing but simply because the forums software was years out of date and could not be upgraded at a reasonable cost by the vendor. It was not really cleansed because the entire contents of that old forums was reproduced in its entirety (as far as I was able to see) when the new forums were released. Actually, when I was a member of that first forums committee, one of the very first tasks I did was to make a backup of those old forums and then start to look for a way to convert the old database to a new system so it could be preserved.

At the time, as I remember, the leadership did express a concern that they wanted to be sure they could identify who any individual poster was . I think this may have been so that if someone said something really nasty, they could take it to the ethics committee. There was a belief that someone may try to impersonate the leaders of the club and make disruptive statements. We had to assure the leaders that any new forums software was advanced enough that this likely would not happen.

Heck, why am I telling you all of this, you remember this because we were all watching the goings-on during our SaveWally days... I may have ruffled a few feathers by offering a “correction” here, but as one who has been on both sides of the rumor mill, I can see the value of expressing the facts as facts rather than the opinion as facts in this case. The opinion expressed as facts leads to a great misunderstanding and a belief that some very nefarious activities are going on. When really, most probably, the worst of it is that the leadership did not get involved in the forums as some may have agreed to. And those that did get involved quickly withdrew – which I can understand being as the grinding mill has a tendency to completely chew up people and spit them out. Like I said – I know this is true because I have been on both sides of that fence now....

What IS nefarious is that the club membership has spoken its mind time and time again on the issue of SOB motorhomes in the club and a few select people are repeatedly trying to push the issue through.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #814
Certifiable

. , .
Lightbulb Attack the motion not the people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
What IS nefarious is that the club membership has spoken its mind time and time again on the issue of SOB motorhomes in the club and a few select people are repeatedly trying to push the issue through.
I don't believe it's fair to attribute nefariousness to those who "time and time again" push for this issue.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #815
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Nefariousness might be a little strong. Certainly self centered and self serving. They may also be self-deluding to the point that they think they are actually doing something that will not damage the club.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #816
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Perhaps "out of step with the wishes of the membership" is a better characterization?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #817
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Hmmm - never thought of it as being too harsh, but looking up the complete definition it perhaps is. Well, its just a word and has little meaning beyond what we ascribe to it - I did not give it that depth of meaning....in my mind.

But to me, "out of step" is not strong enough, the membership has spoken by way of surveys and actual voting - they do not want this. The next statement the membership makes is with their feet, and that is perhaps already happening.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #818
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I believe you are correct. Each round of discourse on this issue seems to accelerate the rate of departure.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #819
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Thumbs down

I don't think the issue of departure would come into play unless the amendment passed.

Right now we're dealing with perhaps block heads that can't accept defeat.

What bothers me more is the false basis it was presented to members.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #820
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

The next statement the membership makes is with their feet, and that is perhaps already happening.
from 25k to less than 7? YA THINK?
Old 12-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #821
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
No - I mean a vastly more precipitous drop than what we are seeing now.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #822
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
Friends

I can see and understand both sides. The sad thing is not being able to visy with your friends, We have mad the decision we want a notorhome and we are unable to find an Airstream that either fits our wants or budget or availability.
There are clubs for most all brands and all seem to welcome new members, but to leave old, established friends is still sad
Old 12-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #823
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I Smith,
What is your budget and personal needs for the unit? I see hundreds of Airstream motorhomes currently available on the net and at dealers. Many units have really low mileage and are selling cheap. There are still a few "new" ones, that have never been titled.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #824
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
ISmith

Many of the friends I made while they were on "The Diesel Page", a forum that required ownership of a GM diesel truck, have long since gone on to buy other types of tow vehicles or MH. While they are no longer members of "The Diesel Page" I still travel and camp with them. If the ownership of a specific type or brand is the only thing that holds the friendship together I would question the strength of that friendship.

Likewise many of the friends I have made while they were members of WBCCI I still camp with at TAC, Forum Rallies, or WBCCI Buddie Rallies.

The underlying case here is not one of friendship but rather a desire not to give up the level of control some have achieved or the access to questionable perks.

Yes I can understand the need or the want to move to another type of RV for some people but I can not understand why they would have the Gall to ask others to change the underlying principles of the Club just to suit their wants.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #825
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
I can see and understand both sides. The sad thing is not being able to visy with your friends, We have mad the decision we want a notorhome and we are unable to find an Airstream that either fits our wants or budget or availability. There are clubs for most all brands and all seem to welcome new members, but to leave old, established friends is still sad
Hi lsmith:

Are your present Airstream friends so involved in the WBCCI that they attend Airstream-only rallies 365 days a year and cannot find even one day a year to camp and visit with you outside the WBCCI? Could you perhaps persuade them to visit you for a few days at some event that is not a WBCCI event? Or are they so hard core WBCCI that they absolutely refuse to attend any RV event that is not a WBCCI event? Please explain exactly what the problem is and why it is essential that you retain your WBCCI membership to camp at all with your old established WBCCI friends? Thank you.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 12-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #826
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
My budget is what we find that we really like, but paying $100K+ for a 8-10 year old Airstream moho when for the same or less you can purchase a newer moho and with a company that is still in the moho business. We have seyt our goals on a diesel pusher. We are looking at a 2001 36' that is clean and nice. The engine is a Cat 300 and I worry about the power

No I do not think my Airstream friends would ostrazie us, but as I understand you no linger can be a member WBCCI if you own SOB. I don't see why we could not be at the same campground as the club, but attending the functions might be akward and that is not a postion I would want.

Thank you for the input

Tags
wbcci