Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #799
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I had heard that Wally make the decision to only allow Airstreams on his later caravans was that there was too much demand and he did not want to increase the number of caravans above the number the factory could support. Why wouldn't you treat your customers better than SOB's. WBCCI headquarters were an office in his factory administrated by his cousin Helen and Wally paid her salary and partially funded to caravan support. When Beatrice bought the company, after Wally died, they move all manufacturing to Jackson Center, Ohio and WBCCI moved into an independent building with their own dues paid staff. It is still that way. The Airstream company did get the benefit of customer run field testing and factory failure analysis, which helped them build a better product. Now failures are reported on Airforums and the engineering staff simply needs to lurk here to identify design flaws. It seems simpler than hiring a big staff to do the testing.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #800
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
I had heard that Wally make the decision to only allow Airstreams on his later caravans was that there was too much demand and he did not want to increase the number of caravans above the number the factory could support. Why wouldn't you treat your customers better than SOB's. WBCCI headquarters were an office in his factory administrated by his cousin Helen and Wally paid her salary and partially funded to caravan support. When Beatrice bought the company, after Wally died, they move all manufacturing to Jackson Center, Ohio and WBCCI moved into an independent building with their own dues paid staff. It is still that way. The Airstream company did get the benefit of customer run field testing and factory failure analysis, which helped them build a better product. Now failures are reported on Airforums and the engineering staff simply needs to lurk here to identify design flaws. It seems simpler than hiring a big staff to do the testing.
Hi, Airstream was on this forum, got an ear full, packed their bags, and ran back home. Closed the thread and probably will never return. Do they really care?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #801
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
a good start might just having a simple Forum poll. one AS - one vote on the overall MOHO issue.

one question to start: AS only vs non-AS only.

i have a good idea as to which way THAT poll would go.

hopefully, these results would then be used as an indication of the direction in which the vast majority of the WBCCI members want the
club to head.

i think the answer would speak volumes and most of the 'forum talk' would not be needed.
How many more polls do we need?

WBCCI conducted a member survey in 2004. One question was,

“The WBCCI membership base should be broadened to include any RV brand made by Thor Industries, parent company of Airstream.”

The response was,

Strongly agree: 8.5%
Agree: 12.1%
Disagree: 19.3%
Strongly Disagree: 57.2%

In other words, 3/4 of the members disagreed with that statement and nearly 2/3 strongly disagreed!

Nevertheless, a Thor motor home amendment was proposed to the 2007 Delegates Meeting. Out of 6240 votes the vote tally was,

YES - 2435 or 39%
NO - 3677 or 59%
Abstain - 126 or 2%

So instead of receiving the 2/3 majority needed to pass, nearly 2/3 voted against it.

But it looks like it'll be on the ballot again in 2012. . . sigh. . .
Old 12-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #802
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
There is a strong desire for a forums at many levels and for many reasons by many people - all of them good in my opinion. But based on the experiences with the last 2 forums, the committee is very wary of being accused of moderating negative viewpoints in an attempt to foster only a positive viewpoint of the club.

Also, the reason the old forums was shut down was not in an attempt to silence MEMBERS viewpoints - but rather was due to differences which existed between the previous forums owner and the club leadership.
Ok are there any WBCCI members that would volunteer to moderate such a forum.

Anyone care to step up to the plate?

Old 12-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #803
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I didn't mean to hijack the thread with my response. This thread wasn't about the forums per se. But as far a poll, I don't think one is needed either. Obviously, some folks are not listening to poll results anyway and plan to push this issue through again and again until it passes and they get their way.
The club suffers with each iteration so even though it doesn't pass, we lose members.
A letters to the editor would be nice though.....
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #804
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
YES - 2435 or 39%
NO - 3677 or 59%
Abstain - 126 or 2%

maybe we need t-shirts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	thing1_large[1].jpg
Views:	60
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	147468

would these be 'rally certified'?

FCU WBCCI #1601
I Don’t Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #805
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
From what I understand, early caravans organized by Wally were open to all makes. At some time that changed, whether the reason was non Airstreams were not strong enough or, being a salesman, Wally realized that it made more marketing sense to limit the caravans to his trailers, that is unknown to me. I think that both contributed to the change.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Zigzag. your assumption above is partially correct. From what I read, all trailers were allowed to travel with Wally, but those non-airstreams were breaking down more frequently. One reason for Airstream-only.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #806
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Dwight,

Correction, the California factory was not closed until 1979, when Thor was formed to purchase Airstream from Beatrice.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #807
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Not humorous or untrue by my assessment but then again I am not an official WBCCI record straightener, (and that is humor.) I thank you on behalf of the great many that are now relieved at your correction of my opinion. WHEW that's a load off, for sure. And yet on fast read I didn't detect any appreciable difference... Ah but then we each do what we have to do respectively, right?

Nuvi, here's wishing you cheers and silver belles. Oh and fun, everyone should be having fun, it's all about fun. I'm having fun and I used to have fun and I expect to have more fun in the future when I get together with many of you that also had fun are having fun and are planning diligently to have even fun again too. I think its part of the core values now. I wonder if its in the new by-laws? ...yeah that's humor too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Carol,

This statement may be an attempt at humor making a point but I have to say that it is patently untrue. The reason that the club does not have a forums right now is because there is no desire for the members of the ECC to be dragged into flame ward over how the forums are moderated or maintained. There is a strong desire for a forums at many levels and for many reasons by many people - all of them good in my opinion. But based on the experiences with the last 2 forums, the committee is very wary of being accused of moderating negative viewpoints in an attempt to foster only a positive viewpoint of the club.

Also, the reason the old forums was shut down was not in an attempt to silence MEMBERS viewpoints - but rather was due to differences which existed between the previous forums owner and the club leadership.

I just thought that fact should be corrected.

photography
Old 12-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #808
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I stand corrected. Beatrice did not close all the California plants, they simply moved most of the production to Ohio, and removed the direct support of WBCCI from their budget. They were losing money big time and sold out to Thor. Here is a link to a pretty good site on the history: Airstream History.com, Silver Wheels

Over the years Thor has continued to run their business to maximize their profits and reduce their support of WBCCI. Thor has changed its marketing focus away from the things and people WBCCI caters to.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #809
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Thor has done their homework and are selling to a different demographic than the club. The club should take note and do the same. That would require CHANGE.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #810
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Waldorf , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
Thor has done their homework and are selling to a different demographic than the club. The club should take note and do the same. That would require CHANGE.

Adapt or become extinct. It is the way of the world...

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702
AIR #60387
"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Old 12-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #811
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Sometimes I get to thinking and often think too much. Well, heck, here's the lastest think: I bet it's not that Airstream changed its demographic while the WBCCI didn't, but rather than Airstream kept the same demographic while the WBCCI didn't.

Lynn
Old 12-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #812
Rivet Master

Lynn, great point!

Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci