Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #729
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Thanks to all who have convinced me to try out the local WBCCI, instead of following the politics of the National.
I'll look at my days off schedule to see if I can get to Sarasota next February to at least visit. No driving of the AS moho until new tires can be acquired. Well, some around town driving, but nothing that far.
Thanks for pointing out that the local WBCCI are where the fun is at.
Thanks, Derek

Old 12-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #730
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
You won't be sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Thanks to all who have convinced me to try out the local WBCCI, instead of following the politics of the National.
I'll look at my days off schedule to see if I can get to Sarasota next February to at least visit. No driving of the AS moho until new tires can be acquired. Well, some around town driving, but nothing that far.
Thanks for pointing out that the local WBCCI are where the fun is at.
Thanks, Derek
Just to share one little story.....we have a couple in our group that have been on many caravans around the country and they told us to get an Oregon Scientific weather station for traveling around the country....they have one and it helped them avoid hail and other stuff. I thought that seemed like a good idea but here in SO CA we hardly ever have hail or tornados.....however on our way home from the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta (the 4CU has front row sites) we were heading directly into a tornado in Flagstaff....where was our weather station? Radio news was spotty....so I ordered one (got the hand unit that automatically knows where you are) and on our trip last summer in Iowa it started screaming at us an hour before the police came through the campground to warn us of severe weather.....that gave us time to pack up and drive south instead of west right into the storm.....so that is just one of the many things we have learned from our fellow WBCCIers......and there was not a drop of politics about it at all. In fact, it is like your own airforums unit......that same fellow gave us all a little U shaped wire to put in our electric cord to turn the running lights on......I know that secret has been reported here but we had someone give us one at a rally. Random acts of kindness paid forward.......paula

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
Old 12-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #731
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Paula, Derek, and those that may be new to the Forum.

Those commenting here on the problems within the WBCCI are almost to a person commenting on things that would return to and insure the continuance of a Club dedicated to friendship, pleasurable camping and caravaning. We have to voice these comments here because the Leadership of the Club refuses to set up a Forum for the membership for fear it will conflict with their ideas and their pursuit of a free ride on the backs of the membership.

We are almost like the Free French, Free Poles, and other Free displaced citizens during the second World War. We are housed in a foreign country, Forum, trying to correct the problems at home. While the greater population of our host Forum may not even be aware of our concerns at present it is the only way we have to communicate our thoughts to those interested WBCCI members.

If you do not care to join us at this point in time at least wish us luck so we can regain some sibilance of control over the Club and get back to pleasurable camping that will attract new members.

In the mean time most WBCCI units off a pleasurable experience.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #732
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Paula, Derek, and those that may be new to the Forum.

Those commenting here on the problems within the WBCCI are almost to a person commenting on things that would return to and insure the continuance of a Club dedicated to friendship, pleasurable camping and caravaning. We have to voice these comments here because the Leadership of the Club refuses to set up a Forum for the membership for fear it will conflict with their ideas and their pursuit of a free ride on the backs of the membership.

We are almost like the Free French, Free Poles, and other Free displaced citizens during the second World War. We are housed in a foreign country, Forum, trying to correct the problems at home. While the greater population of our host Forum may not even be aware of our concerns at present it is the only way we have to communicate our thoughts to those interested WBCCI members.

If you do not care to join us at this point in time at least wish us luck so we can regain some sibilance of control over the Club and get back to pleasurable camping that will attract new members.

In the mean time most WBCCI units off a pleasurable experience.
I agree with you and wish my WBCCI dues went to our local unit and the several other units we are associate members of......in addition to our CCC unit we also belong to Sierra Nevada, San Diego, San Fernando, Vintage Airstream Club, 4 Corner Unit and maybe even some I don't remember.....we like to join our neighboring unit rallies as well.....because we can camp all year round we are lucky that there may be a rally almost anytime we have time for one.

We were solo camping in Buellton, CA (by Solvang) last spring and met a couple with a new Airstream from Ventura.....I thought right away that they would like our unit so I encouraged them to join our unit's rally in September when we piggybacked onto a Vintage rally that had all different kinds of Vintage rigs......they were not retired and had dogs so they were worried that they might not have time and were we dog friendly? We told them that many of our members still work full time and almost everyone has a dog (many rescued) and some even have children......they joined us and liked the group and are now members....they also traded in their new trailer for a new Eddie Bauer that better accommodates their 4 dogs. We keep our politics to a bare minimum if at all.....we are about camping and telling lies.........This is what keeps the club alive......not the MH amendment. IMHO p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 12-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #733
Rivet Master

Paula and Ed, well done , you!!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #734
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Well stated, Paula. Our motto, "Fun, Friendship & Camping" serves us well in our unit!
Follow us on Facebook and our website:
www.GreaterLosAngelesAirstreamUnit.wbcci.net
Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #735
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
I also agree, Fun, friendship and adventure should be the new tag line of the WBCCI, The units that are growing are using this motto. Enjoy the club and don't worry about the politics, there are members working on the change.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #736
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Yeah, Teresa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
I also agree, Fun, friendship and adventure should be the new tag line of the WBCCI, The units that are growing are using this motto. Enjoy the club and don't worry about the politics, there are members working on the change.
You sure know how to put on a fabulous rally---full of fun, friendship and adventure.....and celebrating Wally's birthday......what can you do for an encore....a tough act to follow......it sure was fun. Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #737
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Paula and Ed

You comments reflect the view of the current majority of the members. However that majority is rapidly decreasing because of the political efforts of a small group within the Leadership of the Club that would like to redefine the Club for their personnel benefit.

I would ask those that have recently joined this thread to read "rideairs" original post, quoted below, and consider how long that air of Fun and Friendship will be available to us if the membership diminishes below the critical mass.

We can take some time now and work to prevent the loss of the Club or we can sit back and do nothing leaving us plenty of time to remember the Fun and Friendship times later.

How long would it take you to voice your opinion at a unit meeting that would set a course to preserve the Club. Isn't that 5 minutes worth it. Even if your unit has decided not to send a Delegate that opinion can be presented at the International by another unit that your unit has empowered to vote for yours.

The VOTE, use it or lose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
As everyone knows the WBCCI IBT/EC7 has asked once again about the old MOHO issue and what needs to be done to fix it. With "SaveWally" off-line, DW on hold, the WBCCI forums shutdown and some of the key players that helped keep the WBCCI from becoming a Airstream and THOR MOHO club either kicked out of the club or off on different projects, does anyone plan to fight the IBT/EC7 on this subject or just let them have their way and maybe bring in a MOHO which may/may not be from Airstream?
Or, does anyone even care at this point?

Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #738
Rivet Master

HowieE, may also remind folks here that the THOR diesel Club membership person, Patricia Koritta, who I corresponded by email, expressed the fact that NO THOR Diesel Club member had any desire to join WBCCI. This of course is contrary to what our Club members are being told.
Similarly, back in 2007, then President of the Mandalay Travel Club, Jack Finley, who I spoke by phone at that time. before we drove to Perry and spoke at the seminar about my conversation with Mr Finley, he said, Mandalay Travel Club members, had no interest in joining WBCCI. In both cases then and now, we have been told that these other clubs are just waiting in the wings to have a cross-pollination into WBCCI. Who is the IBT talking, too?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #739
Rivet Master

Howie,

Maybe wrong, but at this point in the clubs history many of the folks that were of a political nature in regards to the WBCCI politics of the IBT/EC7 and the things they are trying to do in their own best interest (THOR MOHO) have left the WBCCI out of frustration or are tired of beating their head against the wall and have just given up. Many of the ones that are left just want to camp and enjoy their friends at a local level, not recognize the elephant in the room and hope it will all go away or maybe not even care about if a THOR MOHO camps next to them at the rally.

This is not uncommon in the beginning of anything. There’s not enough of the “other folks” to really make a difference in how something is viewed. As you kind of point out what will happen, five or ten years from now the members of the WBCCI will look-up and start to see a greater and greater number of THOR MOHO and maybe 5th-wheels, etc... around them and wonder what happen to their “Airstream Club”. By that time it will be too late to put the Genie back in the bottle and the WBCCI will become nothing more than a once great Airstream “only” Club that went down like so many before it.

One only has to look at the Airstream Company itself to see where the WBCCI stands. They have pulled away from the WBCCI not because lack selling Airstream Trailers to club members (maybe 5-10% sales to club members) because any company does not want a decrease in sales of that level, but because Airstream see’s where the WBCCI is dragging their sales numbers down. If people associate the Airstream trailer with the WBCCI, which many associate with an old Military style club, lots of rules, old farts playing bridge and having ice cream socials, this actually hurts sales by a greater percent.

Just look at the “Silver Palaces” book page 33 where Tim Champ in 2003 talked about how they (Airstream) are trying to break away from the WBCCI mold and said the following:

“'We are looking to break out of our reputation that Airstreams are just for old people. Unfortunately our most visible and vocal customers are members of the WBCCI [Wally Byam Caravan Club International]. They are perceived as a bunch of ex-military guys and frankly they don't contribute much to our bottom line. And the Vintage Airstream folks, well, they don't do anything for us either. At this point we don't need the publicity; everyone knows who we are. We need sales. We want to appeal to the hip twenty-year-olds. Once we get them started with Airstream, we think they will continue buying them."

Even at this point and time the Airstream Company knows the WBCCI is a hopeless cause because of the self serving people at the top only caring about their next MOHO and how they can retain power over the club and the cash and perks that come with that power. Companies try and back winners to take their products further and sell more units not losers who give their product a bad name and drag sales down. One only needs to look how Airstream is staying out of it and let this subject stay in the WBCCI to know where this will take the club.

It's great to see that you still have some fight left in ya, but at this point we're in the 10th round and the WBCCI membership has had the crap beat out of it by the IBT/EC7 and their Special Committees and many of members just want the fight to be over and go home to their family at the local level.

Enjoy,
Old 12-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #740
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, this can work the other way around, too. Those who wish to include non-AS products into the WBCCI may just get sick and tired of trying to convince a membership not willing to go their way and just quit.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Howie,
Maybe wrong, but at this point in the clubs history many of the folks that were of a political nature in regards to the WBCCI politics of the IBT/EC7 and the things they are trying to do in their own best interest (THOR MOHO) have left the WBCCI out of frustration or are tired of beating their head against the wall and have just given up. ...Enjoy,
Old 12-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #741
Rivet Master

Lynn,

I now know why you have a smile icon at the bottom next to your name, cause you're so funny!

Where's the "I'm holding my breath" icon when you need it.

Enjoy,
Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #742
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Have expressed our opinion--

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Paula and Ed

You comments reflect the view of the current majority of the members. However that majority is rapidly decreasing because of the political efforts of a small group within the Leadership of the Club that would like to redefine the Club for their personnel benefit.

I would ask those that have recently joined this thread to read "rideairs" original post, quoted below, and consider how long that air of Fun and Friendship will be available to us if the membership diminishes below the critical mass.

We can take some time now and work to prevent the loss of the Club or we can sit back and do nothing leaving us plenty of time to remember the Fun and Friendship times later.

How long would it take you to voice your opinion at a unit meeting that would set a course to preserve the Club. Isn't that 5 minutes worth it. Even if your unit has decided not to send a Delegate that opinion can be presented at the International by another unit that your unit has empowered to vote for yours.

The VOTE, use it or lose it.
We have expressed our opinion to our leadership at our local club....not sure what beyond that, we can do. Are you suggesting there is more that we can do? We are not interested in wearing Berets.....it seems one must move up the leadership chain to have any say in the club (other than our local).....am I wrong about this? paula

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci