Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #715
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I don't believe they will ever realize the fact they need the trailers more than they need the Thor MH's. Now days an Airstream and Arogsy owner does not need WBCCI to enjoy their trailers and classic motorhomes. When WBCCI was established they were the only game in town. That isn't true anymore. There are many avenues available today. I have been a WBCCI member for over 10 years and I joined to be around the Airstream product otherwise I would have joined Good Sams. I just hope there is still enough votes to beat this issue again.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #716
Rivet Master

I thnk the "Letter to Editor" in November's Blue Beret I wrote spells out how I feel.
NO non-Airstream Class A motorhomes in WBCCI. There is no plausible way to keep the flood gates at a trickle, if we make some exceptions for a non airstream coach. There is Life After WBCCI!!
If this thing passes, we are through. As Gaylejoe above stated, one time WBCCI was the only game in town. We have other means to commune with like minded Aluminum fans. The BOND is with ALuminum, the bond is with the Airstream, the Bond is with the "machine!". If it weren't for the machine, there would not have been a WBCCI.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #717
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
We are picking up our new 2012 Flying Cloud 25 on Dec. 8th. Our first AS. We were sitting around imagining joining the WBCCI - "The Big Wally" - as we jokingly called it, and going off on our first caravan! Sounded fantastic. Then I sat down with my laptop and read this thread. Can you hear the air escaping from the tires?

I can't say it sounds even remotely attractive now. It sounds worse than national politics, the thing I am trying to escape by getting an AS to begin with. I am in love with Airstream trailers. You know, those exotic and gorgeous dreamy aluminum bullets you tow with a car. If I wanted to go camping with a bunch of smelly greyhounds smothered in garish shelf-paper graphics, I'd have become a roady for a country western band.

I'm too new to have any intelligent questions, but it seems like there must be other AS clubs besides WBCCI, no? If not, why not? Who could possibly tolerate this kind of ossified organization when all you want to do is hang out with other aluminum trailer enthusiasts and enjoy........... TRAILERING?

Wally's dead, RIP. But the trailers aren't. The allure of the aluminum space ship is just as strong today as it ever was (I wanted one my whole life). What do you need the old petrified "International management" for anyway? The vast majority of posts I read in this thread are by people that just want to enjoy their trailers and their friends in adventure. I couldn't detect a useful benefit anyone was getting out of the battle of bylaws.

Wouldn't the rules for a nice special interest club fit on one page? It's a club for Airstream trailers. You bring one, you can join. One Airstream, one vote. Elect a couple leaders, charge some dues, Put up a website or a FB page. Design a cool badge to put on your Airstream Trailer. Don't hand any out to greyhound drivers. Organize events. Have fun. Isn't that about it? You people seem too nice to be torturing yourself with old dead stuff just to have a legacy?

We're anxious to get our Flying Cloud and begin the journey - the adventure! I hope to meet lotsa nice people who dig towing aluminum trailers! Hope to see you out there.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #718
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Not just a club for AS trailers, but for AS MHs also.! jim
Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #719
Rivet Master

Our 270 Motorhome atop Wolf Creek Pass with friends

Click image for larger version

Name:	3849229-Wolf-Creek-Pass-0.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	146463
Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #720
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
@coloradobus:
He who has the most aluminum wins! Haha
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 12-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #721
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Redwood' has a point—for most it is about Airstream trailers, not MH's. The WBCCI emphasis on the MH question can act to split the bond between Airstreamers with trailers and those with Airstream MH's.

Gene
Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #722
Rivet Master

Coloradobus,

Great looking Airstream MOHO. It's nice to see that style of MOHO in the club. Not sure what type of coach is next to ya (maybe a Provost) but if it's a THOR and this thing passes as written in another post, your friends will get to join the WBCCI too.

Your photo could be showing a picture of the WBCCI past and the future.

It's not a question of "IF" it's a question of "WHEN". It's gong to pass, sooner or later, it's going to pass.

The leadership at the International level will continue to make the rules fit their needs and having other MOHO's vendors allowed in the club is one of them. The only hope is to keep defeating this thing until they all either leave the club or die and until one of those things happen, you will have other WBCCI members continue to leave the club of which is dying.

So much for leaving the club in better shape than you found it for your children and grandchildren. Almost sound like the US Government.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #723
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I've only owned my AS motorhome for 3 months now. After reading through this thread, I've decided against joining the WBCCI. Too much bickering over something that is totally asinine in my opinion. It almost sounds as if the e-board is tired of pulling a trailer, they want a moho, and since Airstream no longer manufactures a moho, this is their way to stay in the club.
Too much politics, too much money. I purchased my moho to enjoy the camping experience, not be involved in petty b/s.
No thanks to WBCCI.
Thanks, Derek
Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #724
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
crazeevw,

It is unfortunate that you make your decisions based upon other people's thoughts and experiences and not your own. I believe that most of the IBT owns trailers and not motorhomes, but, in my opinion, they are being influenced and pushed by a few vocal members, mainly out of office, but possibly on many committees.

I would suggest that you find a rally at a local unit and attend, even without your Airstream. You may find that they are a bunch of idiots who only discuss club politics or you may find that they are great people who are willing to help you with anything concerning your Airstream and don't care about club politics.

You might check out the Florida State Rally Feb 14-19, 2012. You can enter without your Airstream and talk to many members. There is a vintage open house during the rally. http://www.wbccifsr.com/

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
I've only owned my AS motorhome for 3 months now. After reading through this thread, I've decided against joining the WBCCI. Too much bickering over something that is totally asinine in my opinion. It almost sounds as if the e-board is tired of pulling a trailer, they want a moho, and since Airstream no longer manufactures a moho, this is their way to stay in the club.
Too much politics, too much money. I purchased my moho to enjoy the camping experience, not be involved in petty b/s.
No thanks to WBCCI.
Thanks, Derek
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 12-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #725
Rivet Master

CrazeeVW, please do as Bill suggests and find a local Unit to see how they function. Our Unit activities are priceless, and a blast. The parrallels between the IBT and our Federal government are too close, but once in the hinterlands, locally most of us ignore the higher ups.

Paul, the bus next to us (our 270) is a Prevost Marathon H3-45, the fiberglass clad Prevost with very little stainless, not a THOR product. It is "slideroom free", though, so not the latest or greatest.The bus is 11 years old and has 98,000 miles. They have had to replace airbags, rubber bushings, shocks etc as the bus ages. These repairs are like the ones any older Airstream Class A will encounter. Our friends have been full-timers since 2005, and not joiners of clubs.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #726
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Derek,

We were hesitant to join after reading all of the stuff here as well, fortunately we gave it a try anyway. The unit in GA is great. The members of the unit warmly welcomed us, and it has been nothing but fun. The GA unit is the largest in the WBCCI and international politics really don't come up. When there is an amendment or something to be considered, we discuss it and vote on it at our Spring and Fall meeting. Once the issue has been dealt with we go back to having fun. It rarely takes more than an hour for our meetings.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Old 12-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #727
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Glad we Joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Derek,

We were hesitant to join after reading all of the stuff here as well, fortunately we gave it a try anyway. The unit in GA is great. The members of the unit warmly welcomed us, and it has been nothing but fun. The GA unit is the largest in the WBCCI and international politics really don't come up. When there is an amendment or something to be considered, we discuss it and vote on it at our Spring and Fall meeting. Once the issue has been dealt with we go back to having fun. It rarely takes more than an hour for our meetings.

We were reluctant about joining for the same reason. Decided to give it a try and see what out chapter (Delmarva) had to offer. We found a group of warm and friendly people including folks in their 80s and families with toddlers. They couldn't have been kinder to two novices. We were made very welcome.

No politics, just a group of good people who enjoy their Airstreams. That seems to be what it is on the "local" level. I bet you'll find the same thing to be true with your group.

We look forward to seeing more of our new friends.

Sue and Randy
Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #728
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
I agree with wkerfoot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
crazeevw,

It is unfortunate that you make your decisions based upon other people's thoughts and experiences and not your own. I believe that most of the IBT owns trailers and not motorhomes, but, in my opinion, they are being influenced and pushed by a few vocal members, mainly out of office, but possibly on many committees.

I would suggest that you find a rally at a local unit and attend, even without your Airstream. You may find that they are a bunch of idiots who only discuss club politics or you may find that they are great people who are willing to help you with anything concerning your Airstream and don't care about club politics.

You might check out the Florida State Rally Feb 14-19, 2012. You can enter without your Airstream and talk to many members. There is a vintage open house during the rally. Home Page

Bill
We just returned from a rally in Pismo Beach, CA and we had a lot of fun.....just our local unit and some buddies......just plain camping and telling lies......and being helpful to one another.....we had an unfortunate brake controller incident that everyone sent good thoughts and advice about......and there sure was a lot of aluminum at this rally and even some Airstream fiberglass.......paula

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci