Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #589
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Just one more thing that I just have got to say...

Who is it that has such good friends that they cannot bear to lose them after all the years but not good enough friends apparently to see them any more if they don't belong to the same club together? H e l l o o ?

photography
Old 10-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #590

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
~~

My proposal would be for those who have been members in good standing for a TBD number of years, let them purchase a motorhome, any brand, even a Class-C if they want. The stipulation would be that they give up any club office they hold (officer, committee chair, etc.) to remain members of the WBCCI. That last part, I think, has been the sticking point in all these discussions.

For what it's worth,

Randy
As it's been said, others have proposed this. I replied to the Letter to the Editor in the Blue Beret with essentially what you proposed, and pointed out that Members at Large who travel in Airstream products aren't allowed to vote or hold office, so established members who no longer have an Airstream (Member Emeritus status, perhaps?) shouldn't be able to hold office or vote either, but would be welcome to participate in all other aspects of the club. If it's truly about wanting/needing a motorhome and still wishing to enjoy that camaraderie and activities of the club, that should be an acceptable solution.

I suspect it's not, and I'll bet you a nice bottle of whiskey you won't see my letter or any other expressing a similar sentiment in next month's Letters.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #591
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
My proposal would be for those who have been members in good standing for a TBD number of years, let them purchase a motorhome, any brand, even a Class-C if they want. The stipulation would be that they give up any club office they hold (officer, committee chair, etc.) to remain members of the WBCCI. That last part, I think, has been the sticking point in all these discussions.
Don't forget that your position was anticipated by the Motor Home Study Committee in its report to the 2011 Summer IBT:

"It was also suggested that if Thor motor homes were allowed in the club, the owners could not hold office in WBCCI, and, in fact, they could only be affiliate members. The majority of this committee's members judged that to be extremely biased and prejudicial."

So there you have it, all you extremely biased and prejudicial malcontents.

Of course, "the majority of this committee's members" own motor homes.

They might have said "The majority of this committee's members judged that position to be extremely judgmental" but then the irony of that sentence would have been too obvious. . .

And let's not forget a secondary objective of all this is to "emphasize the quality of the membership over quantity" as eloquently stated by an outspoken past international president some years ago. (Such as, for example, by ridding the club of dissident trailer trash?)

Ah, well, it is of little consequence. The club is going where it's going. Whether or not it decides to throw open the floodgates to other brands will affect the timing, but not the outcome.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #592
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Just one more thing that I just have got to say...

Who is it that has such good friends that they cannot bear to lose them after all the years but not good enough friends apparently to see them any more if they don't belong to the same club together? H e l l o o ?
Some good friends live thousands of miles away and in these days of high gas prices, attending a special event rally or caravanning together facilitates getting back together in person. Facebook can only do so much.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #593
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Good, get together with your good friends at a private rally you hold for yourselves or attend an FMCA Rally that most of the other Motorhome people also belong to. I have been taking pictures at the WBCCI Rallies and most motorhomes also have a FMCA plaque on them.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #594
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Sure is a lot off hassle over 470 or so MoHo owners, most of whom probably don't need a new or even want a new coach.
That was pretty well established when Larry Huttle could not get any firm purchase commitments

I suspect if Thor was allowed in the loss of members would far exceed the number of members retained .
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #595
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Sure is a lot off hassle over 470 or so MoHo owners, most of whom probably don't need a new or even want a new coach.
The actual number who possibly would be retained you could probably count on your fingers. Unfortunately, they have the propaganda machine working full time.

It is a simple case of slideout envy. Joe Blow across the street has four slides and I only have one. Boo hoo!

I intend to do my part to insure that the loss exceeds the gain.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #596
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Even the Front cover of the BB this month features only "FRIEND". It is hard to see any Airstreams. Maybe the "friends" should just show the SOB motorhomes that they want to buy.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #597
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
It is unfortunate that our focus is on a diminishingly small group of potentially retained members. Our energies are better spent looking at potential NEW members. There are a lot of Airstream owners who enjoy the product and fellowship with other owners of the product. Airstream knows who they are and how to provide value to them. They aren't looking in the same direction as the WBCCI.

AirForums Rallies, TAC Rallies, and Alumapalooza Rallies are great models for US to study.

If we want to provide a non-voting / non- office holding membership for current Lifetime Members who "must have a Motorhome that is new" that shouldn't detract from our mission.

We need to provide opportunities for people who own Airstreams to have Fun, Fellowship, and Adventure. Our caravan, rally, and activity planning should focus on the things these other (current non-members) Airstream owners enjoy doing together!

I haven't seen any energy in this direction at the International level since Perry.

My thoughts.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #598
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
It would seem that we are getting a reasonable number of new members each year. There is a retention problem, but it is not solved by keeping a few MoHo folks who want a new one, or convincing surviving spouses to keep up their membership even though they no longer trailer.

The answer lies in having enough interesting things going on to make the members, new or old, interested in sticking around.
As mentioned above, a look at some of the the non WBCCI airstream rallies could be educational.
I wonder how many of the new members that signed up for what might be the most expensive RV club are around a couple years later.
If the members needs are met the retention problem goes away and the members become a far more affective recruiter system than the committee we funded with $15K..
I figure with International, unit, and 2 intraclubs my dues come to $107 per year. That is fairly pricey and as such is up for evaluation each year
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #599
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
With our unit activities, Florida State, the International ... We find the value worth the cost.

We both work. We can't go on a "real caravan" because we haven't enough vacation. We have led 3 shorter Unit caravans and they were fun. We had other working folks (and kids) on two of those shorter caravans.

We would love to go to an event or destination rally. We loved the Yellowstone Rally in 06!

Add value and members will stay.
More value
Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #600
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Sent this reply/letter to editor to the Blue Beret today.. Doubt it will ever get published, so thought I'd share it here...

For two months we’ve seen letters here rehashing issue of Thor Motorhomes and membership. We should all remember this was a Trailer club started by the man who wrote “Trailer Travel” after a long career designing, building and traveling in trailers. I think more members would have been willing to “grandfather” (pun intended..) long-term members like Mr. Stumpf who could no longer manage his Airstream trailer, and allow them to continue to participate in rallies and caravans. I would gladly vote to let any 30+ year member continue their membership (but not in a national leadership role…) in ANY brand of RV, simply because they have established a number of great friendships. What I am unwilling to do is welcome an owner of a Thor Motorhome into the club as a new member simply because of the common ownership between Airstream and other motorhome manufacturers. Unfortunately, our Leaders didn’t present that option to vote on.

(I am a WBCCI member...)

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #601
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Sent this reply/letter to editor to the Blue Beret today.. Doubt it will ever get published, so thought I'd share it here...

For two months we’ve seen letters here rehashing issue of Thor Motorhomes and membership. We should all remember this was a Trailer club started by the man who wrote “Trailer Travel” after a long career designing, building and traveling in trailers. I think more members would have been willing to “grandfather” (pun intended..) long-term members like Mr. Stumpf who could no longer manage his Airstream trailer, and allow them to continue to participate in rallies and caravans. I would gladly vote to let any 30+ year member continue their membership (but not in a national leadership role…) in ANY brand of RV, simply because they have established a number of great friendships. What I am unwilling to do is welcome an owner of a Thor Motorhome into the club as a new member simply because of the common ownership between Airstream and other motorhome manufacturers. Unfortunately, our Leaders didn’t present that option to vote on.

(I am a WBCCI member...)
Condoluminum's response, above, is along the lines of where I was going with this. I'm not in favor of opening the doors to anyone as some may think, I was just putting out an idea for consideration of a compromise solution and my rationale for it.

Shelby Foote, the Civil War historian, was asked how did it (the war) happen. He said: "Americans like to think of ourselves as uncompromising people. But our real genius is for compromise, and when it breaks down we murdered each other in great numbers." This applies to a lot in today's world.

I too will be watching to see if Condoluminum's letter is published or responded to by any of our leadership.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #602
Rivet Master

The "Non-Voting-Member" option balloon was floated by the IBT/EC7 and MOHO Special Committee back before the 2007 Perry International Rally by many including myself in hopes of meeting somewhere in the middle on this issue. In their mind, it's a winner take all issue and if they don't win, so does their control of the WBCCI, the rules, the $$$, etc...

Keep beating your heads. Because the more you beat your heads, the more you knock yourself out, the less of you there are standing, the better chance they have of winning "period".

If you want to do something, pressure the VAC and the Classic Airstream Club Intra Clubs to break away from the WBCCI creating a "New" Wally Byam Camping Club based around the "Classic" rounded look.

The time, money and effort will get you far more in the end.

Tags
wbcci