Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #533
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
50%?

I think it would be much more, but that is just my opinion. I for one will be part of the group that would be QUICKLY searching for an Airstream only new club.

We all know where the "quality" is, and its not in a mixed WBCCI.

59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #534
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When a nonprofit is dissolved the money—there's a substantial amount of it—has to go to a similar nonprofit. It does not get distributed to the members. Where would it go? Wouldn't the WBCCI leaders try to direct it to a motorhome and trailer nonprofit? Usually the state attorney general has some authority in this matter and who knows what the AG would do? A fertile ground for lawsuits.

Gene

Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #535
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The club leaders will not allow the club to dissolve until they have used up all the money. The current headquarter's overhead is about $200,000 per year, including health benefits. Benefits to the leadership are another $100,000, so it will take a while to use up the bank reserves we have. With fewer member there be less expenses to provide them benefits.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #536
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
At the International this year I believe that Larry Huttle addressed the "badging" of a Thor MOHO. Can't do it because of some licensing issues or trade marks. Not really sure of the wording but he did address the issue and what't it can be done. Maybe someone can chime in and explain it better. Sorry, I was trying to listen to him but the sound system was not loud.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 AM   #537
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
In talking to Larry a couple of years ago I seem to remember the reason is that if a Thor motorhome were badged an Airstream, then Airstream would have to honor the warranty on that motorhome as though they had made it. Despite the fact that Airstream is owned by Thor, the company's sub-divisions are still independent of each other and Airstream reasonably doesn't want to warrant someone else's product.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #538
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
I don't get it. 4 or 5 years ago General Motors Corperation owned Chevrolet, SAAB and Suburu....among others. Were not those companies independant? The SAAB 97x rolled off the same assembly line/plant as the Chevy Trailblazer, the SAAB 92x rolled off the same Japan assembly line with the Subaru Imprezza, with the same Subaru boxer engine...
SAAB dealers had no issues providing service and warranty.
So what is the difference. Never gotton a clear answer on this. These are only two examples of many with the auto companies....
Saabs in Sweden, Subaru in Japan, sounds like independenly run companies to me.
Dan
Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #539
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
I imagine with auto companies they're making autos. As you say, same Boxer engine. What you don't see rolling off automakers assembly lines are busses or dump trucks side by side with the cars.

Like a lot of us, I've been to the Airstream factory. It was set up to make trailers. Can it make Motorhomes? Well, it did, but quality suffered, and I imagine it played havoc with production. I've worked on a factory floor and it doesn't take much to upset the rhythm of the assembly line. Throwing motorhome production into a trailer assembly line just isn't that compatible.

You might not get management to admit that, but obviously Airstream decided to concentrate on doing what it does best. It isn't that they can't, it's because they shouldn't. It's not that big a mystery.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #540
Rivet Master

Forrest's right. We owned since new a 1999 35 ft Cutter Diesel single slide on a Freightliner raised rail chassis and owned it for LESS than a year, 10 months actually. We got to use it for 4 months, and the rest of the time it was in a repair center either at Freightliner, our Airstream dealer, or Jackson Center. The only good thing we got out of owning it, was Airstream paid our fuel to bring the Cutter diesel to Jackson Center for them to work on it. They PAID our way to fly us home, and they brought the coach back to us, still with issues. It was no surprise to us Airstream ceased production of Class A's!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #541
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Not sure you understand what I meant, SAAB 97x rolling on the same line as trailblazer = Airstream Motorhome rolling down the same line as Mandalay MH. in other words the SAAB was made a a chevrolet factory, just minor trim, grill, tailights and interior changes. I would not equate that to a dump truck on the same line as a carfor all intents and purposed both meantioned SAABS are either a Chevy or a Subaru, just badged and trimmed different but the VIN says that they are SAAB's...ie Airstream MH made at Mandalay factory. why is this so easy to accomplish for GM but not THOR?? no dealer issues either, no service issues
Dan
Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #542
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Dan,

Because with Thor each division operates separately. Not so with GM now, although many years ago each GM division was separate and there were few common parts. Remember when each division had its own engine?

That and Thor doesn't want to do it.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
Not sure you understand what I meant, SAAB 97x rolling on the same line as trailblazer = Airstream Motorhome rolling down the same line as Mandalay MH. in other words the SAAB was made a a chevrolet factory, just minor trim, grill, tailights and interior changes. I would not equate that to a dump truck on the same line as a carfor all intents and purposed both meantioned SAABS are either a Chevy or a Subaru, just badged and trimmed different but the VIN says that they are SAAB's...ie Airstream MH made at Mandalay factory. why is this so easy to accomplish for GM but not THOR?? no dealer issues either, no service issues
Dan
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 09-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #543
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Dan,

I understand what you're saying about re-badging, but turn it around to see why Airstream doesn't want to do it and shouldn't.

If it's okay to re-badge a Four Winds Class A as an Airstream, then wouldn't it be just as okay to re-badge a Keystone trailer as an Airstream? Why discriminate?

Airstream is protective of its name, why would it want to allow any other manufacturer to use it?

Likewise, what's in it for Four Winds or Mandalay to rebadge one of their products as an Airstream? They have pride in their product. What would motivate them to re-badge?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #544

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
Dan
Not to go too far off topic, but in the case of the Saabaru (Saab 92, Subaru Impreza) I know for a fact that Saab screwed up...er... enhanced the Subaru with their own software modifications. My oldest friend was a Saab tech at the time (he's since moved to a Mercedes dealership.) The Saab was a bit prettier than our WRX Wagon, but the Subaru was so bulletproof that at about 150k miles we replaced it with another that's been just as solid. I don't know if Saab gave the 97x the "Trionic" treatment or not, it may have been a stock Chevy powertrain.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #545
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I actually thought Larry Huttle was more attuned to rebadging a Thor motorhome as a special WBCCI edition model. I think it is the vote of the majority of club members against allowing other brands of motorhomes into the club that is the biggest respector of the present decision to not pursue the matter further.

photography
Old 09-07-2011, 05:26 AM   #546
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
first of all I"m not a huge Airstream MH advocate, unless it's a classic. I was just trying to figure out what the big deal was about Thor doing as all the auto companies do. I guess Chevy, Buick etc are "divisions"?? of GM, whereas Thor's companies are completely different companies? My old company ATA Airlines was "owned" by Global Aero Logistics, that also owned World Airways, and North American Airlines, all separate companies
I would be willing begrudgingly accept it if it's VIN said it was an Airstream like the Chevy, Ford and Mercedes shells do, but no other brand, it's an Airstream club period.
I just wonder how long this dead horse can continue to be beaten, it's been a long time already
Dan

Tags
wbcci