Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #491
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
If I understand the intent your are saying the Revised Constitution only requires a simple majority to pass where as an amendment requires a 2/3 majority.
As long as the proposed new constitution is being debated by the delegates it only takes a majority to amend it. Then the proposed constitution has to have a 2/3 majority vote to be adopted.

If the motor home faction manages to incorporate their amendment into the proposed new constitution it will pose a dilemma for long-time advocates of the proposed new constitution who oppose the opening the club to other brands.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #492
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Lets hope they are not that smart and the Delegates are that dumb.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #493
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Well, they were just told how to do it.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Lets hope they are not that smart and the Delegates are that dumb.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #494
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
VOTE NO! As many times as it takes to stop this arbitrary change of the club charter!
NO AIRSTREAM! NO MEMBERSHIP! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of other organizations and venues that will allow motor home owners of other brands to gather together! You have to ask yourself this question. If you have enough money to own a Motor home, what is so damn important about a $500 dollar lifetime membership? Are you afraid you’re going to lose the value of 2 tanks full of fuel if you can no longer attend WBCCI events because you bought an SOB? Are you not willing to buy a new Airstream product because you feel they are inferior to the product of YOUR choosing? Are your WBCCI Friends going to ignore you because you are no longer a member in good standing? If they do they weren't your friends to begin with!

This whole argument stinks to high heaven. It’s all about rolling with the affluent set. You see, the real reason for wanting a motor home is so you can look down upon your subjects and feel superior because you have the means in your retirement to show off your hard work or good fortune. It’s not about camping with friends it’s about one ups-man-ship and keeping up with the Jones's. It’s about that display of fine fabrics and dinner at posh restaurants and places to be seen. Just the act of a motor home as it travels down the road says bluster, "PARDONE ME"!!! You get the picture, it’s the same one we see in Washington or Hollywood. It is all about ME.

To be fair to those who have spent a great deal of money, possibly more than they can really afford, to buy a motor home because they like the room it has to offer, and your really down to earth and want to mingle with trailerites I say, that is great, it's your right and privilege but if it’s not an Airstream, we'll see you down the road after the Airstream Rally!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #495
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Now I feel depressed because I'm a nobody! No title, no membership, no fees, no ribbons.
I just like visiting and travel, but not debating a subject as annoying as this ongoing subject.
The time limit rule should be applied to this. Once voted down, it should not be allowed to be brought up again for 20 years. (I should have no interest by then)
Because of the bitterness created/dispayed by this debate, you will never see me at any AIRSTREAM RALLY.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam52 View Post
VOTE NO! As many times as it takes to stop this arbitrary change of the club charter!
NO AIRSTREAM! NO MEMBERSHIP! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of other organizations and venues that will allow motor home owners of other brands to gather together! You have to ask yourself this question. If you have enough money to own a Motor home, what is so damn important about a $500 dollar lifetime membership? Are you afraid youíre going to lose the value of 2 tanks full of fuel if you can no longer attend WBCCI events because you bought an SOB? Are you not willing to buy a new Airstream product because you feel they are inferior to the product of YOUR choosing? Are your WBCCI Friends going to ignore you because you are no longer a member in good standing? If they do they weren't your friends to begin with!

This whole argument stinks to high heaven. Itís all about rolling with the affluent set. You see, the real reason for wanting a motor home is so you can look down upon your subjects and feel superior because you have the means in your retirement to show off your hard work or good fortune. Itís not about camping with friends itís about one ups-man-ship and keeping up with the Jones's. Itís about that display of fine fabrics and dinner at posh restaurants and places to be seen. Just the act of a motor home as it travels down the road says bluster, "PARDONE ME"!!! You get the picture, itís the same one we see in Washington or Hollywood. It is all about ME.

To be fair to those who have spent a great deal of money, possibly more than they can really afford, to buy a motor home because they like the room it has to offer, and your really down to earth and want to mingle with trailerites I say, that is great, it's your right and privilege but if itís not an Airstream, we'll see you down the road after the Airstream Rally!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #496
Rivet Master

You are close, but wrong view!

WAM:

"You see, the real reason for wanting a motor home is so you can look down upon your subjects and feel superior because you have the means in your retirement to show off your hard work or good fortune"

Wayne, you are getting close to the reason, but you view is a little off. It's not about them looking down on the WBCCI "Trailer Members".

It's really about their friends "outside" of the WBCCI within the FMCA group looking down upon "them" is the real reason why they want to allow other types of motorhomes in the club. Think about it, currently they are a big fish in a small pond which makes them feel good. But when they play with their other friends "outside" the WBCCI they are looked down upon as having the "Old Motorhome" with only one slideout, insides that are out of date, etc....

So in an effort to have the best of both worlds, gotta allow other types of motorhomes in the club. Even if they leave the club, get the new motorhome, they will still be a small fish in the FMCA pond because in that pond you have the big $$$ Prevost. The best they can hope for is to get the new motorhome to where they are not looked down at "as much" as they are now, but almost an equal in the FMCA and the big dogs in the WBCCI.

At this point I say LET THEM IN NOW and everyone fighting this thing put that same effort into creating caravans, rallies, etc... "OUTSIDE" the WBCCI like we did with the Rt. 11 Caravan this year and will be doing again next year with another historic route caravan across the Lincoln Highway!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #497
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Because of the bitterness created/dispayed by this debate, you will never see me at any AIRSTREAM RALLY.
Dave
Dave, there are plenty of Airstream rallies promoted by other groups through the Forum where you don't have to talk about the WBCCI.

Gene
Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #498
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Paul, I think you and WAM are both right. Some people who are oversensitive to their standing in life want someone to look down on and are worried that someone is looking down on them. They are never happy with what they have and never will be.

They cannot be content to be in a community where everyone is equal.

Gene
Old 07-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #499
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Dave, there are plenty of Airstream rallies promoted by other groups through the Forum where you don't have to talk about the WBCCI.
Gene
And, I might add, there are gobs of WBCCI rallies where this stuff is hardly the topic of conversation around the campfire.

Lynn
Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #500
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
You guys have hit the nail on the head.

It's like the IP at the Madison rally who had "Airstream 1" logo on the side of his motorhome. Such arrogance !!!

He thought that he was important but he was just a little man. He's a legend in his own mind.

I have no respect for the position of president of the WBCCI because of what the IP's, over the last twenty years, have done to the club degrading the position.

The club would be better off splitting in two - trailers as one club and motorhomes as another. The treasury could be slit on a ratio basis as to membership.

But this will not happen because of their arrogance they would rather see the club die than do what is best for the general membership.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #501
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Paul

You are not far off. One Region #2 officers told me a year ago her next unit would be a Provost, you know one of the "Thor" MHs.

Unfortunately we as Hostel / Mere members are left with just 3 choices. 1 Let them in and watch the Club fold as they deplete the treasure. 2 Fight to keep the out and hopefully preserve the Club. 3 Resign and move on.

I think I have one more year of fight in me but not much after that.

This will be the fifth year for the Can Opener and I will be there. I missed the second Bash but shouldn't let that happen again.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #502
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
I thought that it is interesting that the September Blue Beret has a letter to the editor pushing for the acceptance of non-Airstream motorhomes into the club. The reasoning is that this is a club of friends and not Airstream specific. We will probably hear the beating of this drum until next June.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Old 08-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #503
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs down

I feel the same. I just finished the letters from readers pages 19 and 20. The published letter was in favor of non-Airstream Thor manufactured motorhomes in the WBCCI. The writer did his own survey and said most rvs on the road and those that could be members drive motorhomes and said the WBCCI is a club of "friends" and not "machines." And so the posturing continues as the ducks are strategically lined up in a row for the mid-winter meetings. Slam/dunk or a civil war? It's very unfortunate that membership's vote of "no" does not mean "no" to our leadership. Just what part of no don't they understand? I suppose they will rejoice when all the "troublemakers" have at long last left the club to the SOB motorhome owners and all their friends. I am certain few of us will still be in the club to see the day come.

photography
Old 08-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #504
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
It's not just about members quitting if non-Airstreams are allowed in to the club, it is also about nonmembers watching this endless argument about it and the other squabbles about leadership. Any organization needs to attract new members and the present situation is very public because of the internet—thus potential members learn about the club this way. Many ask themselves why they would want to join such an organization.

Gene
You hit the nail on the head for me. We are first time Airstreamers - went from a tent to 2011 27' International. Ran in to a WBCCI caravan this summer and there were 30 grandmothers fussing over our kids. Really nice people. I camp to get away from the stress and politics of work, not to compound them. IMHO it sounds like the people running your club have too much time on their hands. One question I have though - can people find out who you are from those big red numbers and possibly visit your empty house? If so, that would be a big drawback to someone like me who uses the trailer for weekends and vacations.

Tags
wbcci