Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #435
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There are plenty of low mileage Airstream motorhomes still out there. The "Boys" (PIP's) just want a "new" toy. It is all about wants and image and not needs. Those big monsters look down at us little trailers. The Jim's are unanimous about this. It will never end until we get our way or die.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #436
Rivet Master

So, June Ryan is a Class A Airstream owner, huh.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #437
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think most on the motorhome committee are motorhome owners too but they failed to give the number of actual members that would want to avail themselves of this proposed change in membership requirements. There has to be someone or two mighty high up the pegs. They speak of lost members but give no statistics. For an initiative that has been running three-four years straight now you would think they would have documentation, except that it may be the only facts they can present are that one or two very influential folks want it badly and the lost and losing membership claims are just that... claims... without facts of who would benefit, who dropped out, who will drop out, and who it is that will buy a Thor Class A. From the smoke and mirrors you would think it affects a large number of the WBCCI when in fact I doubt it truely does affect very many. But I do believe if the amendment passed to end the single brand identity of the club, very many members would be affected and to the point of many non-renewals and very few recruits. To show those facts, we do have several surveys that have been taken by WBCCI and also the vote against the amendment in 2007.

photography
Old 07-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #438
Rivet Master

Yep, Carol, if June Ryan has her way allowing THOR Class A's into WBCCI as non-Airstreams, then we will not renew.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #439
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Here's a question for those that like to speculate. IF, (and I doubt it could pass,) but if the motorhome amendment to allow other RV brands and types into the club passed and if as many suspect membership will sharply wane in that scenerio, do you think that the dues will increase for the remainder of members proportionately to cover all the lost revenue, or will the spending have to be drastically cut at long last to balance the income and spending levels? Will the present leadership merely opt to run off the last of WBCCI assets in the usual fiscal manner? Taking away the directory index and an issue of the Blue Beret and making campgrounds pay to offer discounts to members and charging members to publish their own candidacy statement for office and denying unit caravan status to save on printing costs, to back charging general membership for the cost of copier rental and paper at the IBT seminar, among other ineffectual revenue saving ideas have been and most likely will continue to be unsuccessful. It seems they have tried everything including reducing the region presidents' reembursement without their very consult; everything but actually giving something up themselves and sharing in the reduction of spending. Now the latest weenie of an idea is to provide a waiver and special privilege of membership restriction to lifetime members when it was stated that the lifetime membership fund is in danger of bankruptcy within a few short years. If this concept is embraced it will cost the club much more money. This is but another unsound if not ludicrous idea and a feckless grasping at straws to get the present International Club through a few more seasons of their tour and privilege.

Moderators can I say the "F" word, feckless as a descriptive qualifying adjective? I too think leadership has been feckless.

photography
Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #440
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
... making campgrounds pay to offer discounts to members ...
They've been doing this for some years now. That was when we dropped out of the JC program (but continuing to offer the discount independently).

Lynn
Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #441
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I think it is very nice that you still offer the discount. I think the directory dropped off 16 or 25 pages or some such crazy amount when they decided to do that to save printing cost and generate revenue. They lost benefits for the members in their quest for revenue and greed. Members are who suffer through that decision, and campground owners. And now there are less campgrounds willing or able to extend the discount and to pay the cost of listing in addition to that. I think it is outrageous to charge someone who is basically doing you a favor. That just shouldn't work that way. As a member I think supporting businesses should be rewarded and not taxed to make their generosity available to WBCCI. And let's face it what company thinks the endorsement of WBCCI can be a feather in their cap? It is a kindness you extend to us and we thank you Lynn.

Everything is in jeopardy to be cut short of spending less. Most of us know too well that in today's economy, changes must be made from the habits and spending of afore, but the judicious exercise of discernment seems to have escaped the ones making these decisions upon our behalf and seems to be centered upon their own benefit with little consideration given to the average club member and their value received from their membership dues.

photography
Old 07-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #442
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Back when they had a huge number of parks listed that offered discounts, it was goofy, IMHO. We went on a trip back then and selected parks that were listed in the directory. Not a single one of them even knew what we were talking about when we asked for the WBCCI discount. (Kind of embarrassing moments, I can assure you.)

My suspicion is that nobody had bothered for quite some time to go through the directory and find out which parks still offered a discount. In the meantime, parks changed ownership/management, and the whole business was forgotten. But the listing in the directory continued.

A friend of ours and I tried to get something new going with WBCCI discounts several years ago, but we got nowhere with it. So we gave up.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I think it is very nice that you still offer the discount I think the directory dropped off 16 pages or some such crazy amount when they decided to do that. members are who suffer through that decision with less campgrounds willing to pay the cost to offer a discount to Airstream owners. That just shouldn't work that way. As a member I think supporting businesses should be rewarded and not taxed to make their generosity available to WBCCI.

Everything is in jeopardy to be cut short of spending less. Most of us know too well that in today's economy, changes must be made from the habits and spending of afore.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #443
2 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Eureka , Illinois
OK, the campground ads in the WBCCI directory aren't "free" and the campground does pay for their ad in each year's directory. If a campground wasn't aware that they offered a discount to WBCCI or Airstream, it's their fault. An ad for a campground won't show up in the directory unless it's paid for. Check several years back directories and you'll see plenty of changes. The Trailer Life directory works pretty much the same way. A privately owned campground must pay for their listing in the directory as well as to participate in the Good Sam discount program.

As a former RV accessories vendor, I've attended Holiday Rambler RV Club rallies, Newmar Kountry Klub rallies, FMCA rallies, as well as WBCCI rallies. I travel to their rallies and stay at their rallies in my Airstream trailer. All of the people that I've met at these rallies are genuinely fine folks, irrespective of their choice of brand of RV to use. Holiday Rambler and Newmar both manufacture towables and motorized RV's. I have sought out several of their members and asked about conflicts between towable owners and motorized RV owners. They quickly reply that they don't have any and their objective is to enjoy the social interactions among their members regardless of what type of RV they use.

What's to be gained by continuous squabbling about trailer vs. motorhome? Nothing positive. Get over it. It's about the people and not about their RV brand. I've been parked at FMCA rallies next to a big Prevost coach one one side and a Newmar Mountain Aire 5th wheel trailer on the other side. I have enjoyed talking to both of their owners and answering their questions about my Airstream trailer.

As long as I own an Airstream trailer, I will belong to WBCCI even if changes allow some Thor brands to belong. As I said above, it's about the people and not about their brand of RV. Heck, I might just happen to learn something I could use from someone driving a Thor brand motorcoach.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #444
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
jwgreen,

I disagree, the WBCCI is a single brand RV club not a multi brand RV club. People join to enjoy and share experiences with Airstreams. I agree with your statements on the type of people involved with RVs but not your opinion on the WBCCI.

See Post 22 in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...i-75729-2.html

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgreen View Post
OK, the campground ads in the WBCCI directory aren't "free" and the campground does pay for their ad in each year's directory. If a campground wasn't aware that they offered a discount to WBCCI or Airstream, it's their fault. An ad for a campground won't show up in the directory unless it's paid for. Check several years back directories and you'll see plenty of changes. The Trailer Life directory works pretty much the same way. A privately owned campground must pay for their listing in the directory as well as to participate in the Good Sam discount program.

As a former RV accessories vendor, I've attended Holiday Rambler RV Club rallies, Newmar Kountry Klub rallies, FMCA rallies, as well as WBCCI rallies. I travel to their rallies and stay at their rallies in my Airstream trailer. All of the people that I've met at these rallies are genuinely fine folks, irrespective of their choice of brand of RV to use. Holiday Rambler and Newmar both manufacture towables and motorized RV's. I have sought out several of their members and asked about conflicts between towable owners and motorized RV owners. They quickly reply that they don't have any and their objective is to enjoy the social interactions among their members regardless of what type of RV they use.

What's to be gained by continuous squabbling about trailer vs. motorhome? Nothing positive. Get over it. It's about the people and not about their RV brand. I've been parked at FMCA rallies next to a big Prevost coach one one side and a Newmar Mountain Aire 5th wheel trailer on the other side. I have enjoyed talking to both of their owners and answering their questions about my Airstream trailer.

As long as I own an Airstream trailer, I will belong to WBCCI even if changes allow some Thor brands to belong. As I said above, it's about the people and not about their brand of RV. Heck, I might just happen to learn something I could use from someone driving a Thor brand motorcoach.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 07-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #445
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Actually, the campground pays nothing for the simple listing in Woodall's or Trailer Life. It's only if one decides to buy a separate advertisement that payment is involved. Advertisements appear on or near the page that contains the simple listing.

Some years ago, those campgrounds that offered discounts to members of the WBCCI were also listed for free in the WBCCI book. Again, these were just simple listings by state, basically just name of business, location, tele number, and amount of discount. That has all disappeared, and now it's all about selling advertisements, really whether or not a discount is involved.

Lynn

Quote:
Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #446
2 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Eureka , Illinois
With respect to Kerfoot et al, this concerns CHANGE. If you don't want change (as in membership eligibility), then you regard tradition and maintenance of the status quo as you highest priority and act accordingly. While doing so, you denigrate anyone who's opinion or desire for change is different from yours and support your position with endless tirades about future gloom and doom should a change be implemented that's contrary to your views (or opinions). If you were a buggy whip manufacturer back in the early 1900's, you'd act in the same way when you hear that horseless carriages might be coming soon.

On the other hand, it is possible to embrace change that can produce a positive outcome. That would require some creativity or even innovative thinking, a behavior that would not be consistent with being a naysayer. It requires more work than just sitting on the side and making frequent and repetitive unkind remarks about officers wardrobes and other traditions. Where's the benefit to improve the club when the remarks are meant to ridicule while containing nothing of a suggestion on how to improved. It's easy to be a critic but it takes work to be innovative and creative.

My WBCCI membership should not be construed to mean approval in all the actions taking place at international. I do, however, understand that my views can be heard and if not used or implemented, I'll accept it.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #447
2 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Eureka , Illinois
I was a commercial member of FMCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
As a Commercial Vendor I an sure you had no problem parking next to a Prevost at a FMCA rally. However do you honestly think you could have applied for membership in the FMCA with your Airstream.

In order to be a vendor at an FMCA rally, I had to join FMCA as a commercial member. My number was C11128. They gladly accepted my $50 annual fee even though I owned a towable RV, not a motorcoach. FMCA members were some of my best customers.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #448
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
In order to be a vendor at an FMCA rally, I had to join FMCA as a commercial member. My number was C11128. They gladly accepted my $50 annual fee even though I owned a towable RV, not a motorcoach. FMCA members were some of my best customers.
An interesting comment that FMCA has a membership available for none coach owners. I would be interested in what restrictions if any that membership carries, hold office for instance.

Some have commented that reaction to change is counter production. Historically the leadership of the WBCCI has been the group that has most vehemently opposed change if it in any way threatened the strangle hold they have on the purse strings. The membership has attempted changes that would improve the quality of membership only to be confronted by the suppression that your are out of order or publicly humiliated before the general membership.

There is a difference between change and the fundamental redirection of the Club by allow a dozen or so special privileges. I doubt you would hear comments from the membership if the leadership commenced an effort to enlist the membership and EXPAND the Club with the thousands of Airstream owners represented in this Forum.

Our Club could well sustain itself well into the future if the membership were to double or triple in size via those who already own Airstreams rather than try to convince us that the loss of the few that want to parade around in the biggest box they can find as our salvation

Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci