Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #601
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Sent this reply/letter to editor to the Blue Beret today.. Doubt it will ever get published, so thought I'd share it here...

For two months we’ve seen letters here rehashing issue of Thor Motorhomes and membership. We should all remember this was a Trailer club started by the man who wrote “Trailer Travel” after a long career designing, building and traveling in trailers. I think more members would have been willing to “grandfather” (pun intended..) long-term members like Mr. Stumpf who could no longer manage his Airstream trailer, and allow them to continue to participate in rallies and caravans. I would gladly vote to let any 30+ year member continue their membership (but not in a national leadership role…) in ANY brand of RV, simply because they have established a number of great friendships. What I am unwilling to do is welcome an owner of a Thor Motorhome into the club as a new member simply because of the common ownership between Airstream and other motorhome manufacturers. Unfortunately, our Leaders didn’t present that option to vote on.

(I am a WBCCI member...)
Condoluminum's response, above, is along the lines of where I was going with this. I'm not in favor of opening the doors to anyone as some may think, I was just putting out an idea for consideration of a compromise solution and my rationale for it.

Shelby Foote, the Civil War historian, was asked how did it (the war) happen. He said: "Americans like to think of ourselves as uncompromising people. But our real genius is for compromise, and when it breaks down we murdered each other in great numbers." This applies to a lot in today's world.

I too will be watching to see if Condoluminum's letter is published or responded to by any of our leadership.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #602
Rivet Master

The "Non-Voting-Member" option balloon was floated by the IBT/EC7 and MOHO Special Committee back before the 2007 Perry International Rally by many including myself in hopes of meeting somewhere in the middle on this issue. In their mind, it's a winner take all issue and if they don't win, so does their control of the WBCCI, the rules, the $$$, etc...

Keep beating your heads. Because the more you beat your heads, the more you knock yourself out, the less of you there are standing, the better chance they have of winning "period".

If you want to do something, pressure the VAC and the Classic Airstream Club Intra Clubs to break away from the WBCCI creating a "New" Wally Byam Camping Club based around the "Classic" rounded look.

The time, money and effort will get you far more in the end.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #603
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The simplicity of your idea is great. However TAC is trying that but some have come to realize the organizational foundation that Jackson Center HQ provides and the treasury have value that is not easily duplicated.-

Old 10-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #604
Rivet Master

Time, Money, Effort

Time: (The time spent fighting the IBT/EC7 could be spent creating the foundation for a club of which much of that work has already been done. Remember, the “Classic Airstream Club” was asked by the WBCCI to be a part of it. I’m sure most of the founding documents are around somewhere, along with the VAC documents)

Money: (Run the numbers. If you got 1,500 members (about how many has left the WBCCI along with the VAC/CAC) 1,500 x $65.00 = $97,500, plus the VAC dues $20.00 (8,000) that equals “$105,500”)

Effort: (A bunch of talent has left the WBCCI and the VAC over the past five years. If you could get that talent back with a little effort in writing articles, hosting rallies, caravans, etc… Plus since most of the communication would be via the internet, cost for publications would be low keeping the cost down.)

So, with a paid person writing articles, creating the news letters, scheduling rallies, answering a phone, opening mail, etc… (working from a home based office, say $50,000 a year as a consultant to keep cost down) that leaves you $55,500 bucks to run the club!

I’m part of a hot air ballooning club with 2,000 members and we have two full timers and get six GREAT magazines a year in the mail for around the same amount of dues I pay the WBCCI.

For that matter, you could ask Rich L. with Airstream Life to run the thing at a “per-person cost”, he takes the stories not good enough for his magazine and puts them in the news letter as fill or major stories, he’s has everything in place (get insurance in place, mailings, website, etc…) to run the thing. You never know, he might do it for the right amount of $$$$$

You might even get a few bucks from Airstream as "starter" cash.

It can be done, with the right amount of “Time, Money and Effort
Old 10-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #605
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Well said, Matt. Like it or not, the WBCCI IS an affinity club. It is a club firml centered on the Airsyream brand (this includes all trailers/motorhomes produced br Airstream). Any move allowing non-Airstream product motorhomes in will result in a much greater membership loss thannthe retention of the small number wanting to replace their Airstream with SOB.

Just my two cents.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #606
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Paul,

Go for it, take the ball and run.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Time: (The time spent fighting the IBT/EC7 could be spent creating the foundation for a club of which much of that work has already been done. Remember, the “Classic Airstream Club” was asked by the WBCCI to be a part of it. I’m sure most of the founding documents are around somewhere, along with the VAC documents)

Money: (Run the numbers. If you got 1,500 members (about how many has left the WBCCI along with the VAC/CAC) 1,500 x $65.00 = $97,500, plus the VAC dues $20.00 (8,000) that equals “$105,500”)

Effort: (A bunch of talent has left the WBCCI and the VAC over the past five years. If you could get that talent back with a little effort in writing articles, hosting rallies, caravans, etc… Plus since most of the communication would be via the internet, cost for publications would be low keeping the cost down.)

So, with a paid person writing articles, creating the news letters, scheduling rallies, answering a phone, opening mail, etc… (working from a home based office, say $50,000 a year as a consultant to keep cost down) that leaves you $55,500 bucks to run the club!

I’m part of a hot air ballooning club with 2,000 members and we have two full timers and get six GREAT magazines a year in the mail for around the same amount of dues I pay the WBCCI.

For that matter, you could ask Rich L. with Airstream Life to run the thing at a “per-person cost”, he takes the stories not good enough for his magazine and puts them in the news letter as fill or major stories, he’s has everything in place (get insurance in place, mailings, website, etc…) to run the thing. You never know, he might do it for the right amount of $$$$$

You might even get a few bucks from Airstream as "starter" cash.

It can be done, with the right amount of “Time, Money and Effort
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #607
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Paul,

Go for it, take the ball and run.

Bill
Bill, actions are louder than words.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #608
Rivet Master

Break it off

Bill,

It has been suggested a couple of times before the VAC should leave the WBCCI as far back as when Wayne M. was President and unfortunately (in my eyes and even suggested it myself) there was not enough support from the leadership of that Intra Club to push the issue or even propose it to the VAC membership. Not long ago, there was even a thread started about “Should the VAC leave the WBCCI” and even though there was support from current VAC members, non-members and folks saying they would join the VAC if it “were not” part of the WBCCI the VAC leadership shutdown the idea.

The key to my suggestion is the VAC and the CAC leaving the WBCCI (VAC at a minimum) which will give an instant number to the membership overnight and since I have no personal power to make this happen other than make the suggestion, it’s really up to the leadership of the VAC or the CAC to start the process. If/when they decide to make the exit, I and others will be more than happy to take an active role in the effort.

So, until something of this magnitude happens “both” the WBCCI and as part of that, the VAC/CAC, will continue to lose membership because of the leadership and club unhappiness at a high level. All the MOHO issue does is give folks another reason to leave the club on top of the others many already complain about.

Just think, if other brands of MOHO’s are included in the club, someone with a 25 year old Mandalay MOHO can join WBCCI thus, the VAC and become President of the VAC Intra Club!

As for actions, I've beat my head against that wall to many times under the current rules. Until the rules change (and I don't mean by changing the WBCCI Constitution to give the membership even less power, though some would want you to believe it gave them more) you're not going to win at their game. Plus, I've already hosted rallies and caravans outside the WBCCI, TAC, etc.. and be happy to do so for any break away club.

A break off will send a message to everyone, members and non-members there is hope for a large nation wide Airstream club.

Are we having fun yet?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #609
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Paul,

I don't think that there is any interest in the VAC leadership to break from WBCCI. One of the reasons is expressed in post 631. Jackson Center and WBCCI provides much administrative support, insurance being one and many local, regional and national rallies another. The current leadership does not appear interested in making a new wheel. I happen to agree with them.

Bill

PS: As I have said before, if owners of non Airstreams are admitted to the WBCCI, I will not participate in any future national, region or special event rallies. I will only participate in unit, VAC and hopefully CAC events, until they no longer become fun.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #610
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Bill, actions are louder than words.
You think, or just stirring the pot again and aggitating? Isn't that what you said when you told members they had to sue to be regarded? Or was it when you said we had to trust the committee for redress? That ship sailed a long time ago and the people put in that boat along with it and it all sank. Do as I say and not as I do is not the call to action that will be effective these days. It's time to step aside and let others have a go without making big noises. The club will think and vote and act accordingly, no doubt. Calling others out with pertinence has grown old, the crown tarnished, the kingdom sold.

photography
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #611
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Williston , Florida
We just bought our first Airstream, a gently used 2008 23 ft. Been trying to meet other owner,s.This thread makes me wonder what is going on. We want to have fun and meet people not fight. Is it really as bad as it seems?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #612

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deston View Post
We just bought our first Airstream, a gently used 2008 23 ft. Been trying to meet other owner,s.This thread makes me wonder what is going on. We want to have fun and meet people not fight. Is it really as bad as it seems?
It's really not bad on a local scale. I'm sure it has little to no effect in most units, I know it doesn't matter to our WBCCI unit. As a general issue of "What are these codgers doing with our money?" there are some questions of principle, and some people are agitated about it (as you can read in this thread.)

Personally, I think it's an Airstream club and those representing the club should travel in Airstream products. However, as long as my local unit is fun to camp with and attending the events sponsored by other units is entertaining, and the cost of membership isn't a strain on my budget, I'll probably just continue to express my opinion and enjoy my trailer even if the International officers I never see are putting their numbers on some ugly Thor pusher.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #613
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Williston , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
Randy

Age and availability are problems in many origination. If you turn 36 years old you are no longer a member of the JCs, an origination that you may have made many good friends with. If you turn 18 you can no longer be treated at Children's Hospital, a hospital that in many cases has saved a child's life. If you no longer own a Corvette you are no longer in the Corvette club. If you have reached mandatory retirement age you are no longer CEO of many Corporations.

There are an infinite number of reason why people have to give up their relationship with different origination. Usually these reasons are to maintain the integrate, direction, or focus of the origination.

If MH owners would be allowed to go off brand why then shouldn't I be allowed to bring my 10 ft. Apache pop top trailer out of retirement and remain in the WBCCI. It is a lot easier to handle than my 34 and I to am aging.
i could not agree more, thought it would be fun to meet other people who own Airstream trailers. We just got our first one. But why would i join a club of airstream that is not a club of airstreams I would just join a club of RV owners.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #614
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It is only about 10 people who want more slides than good used Airstream Motorhomes offer. We should just ignore them and vote it down for the third time. Maybe by the time they try to bring it around again, they will be too old to consider buying an SOB motorhome. Or maybe they will quit and we can enjoy ourselves without all their noise.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #615
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Deston, most Airstreamers don't fight and you don't have to be a member of the WBCCI to meet people. There are Forum rallies, informal rallies by people who get together regularly and who will greet you at their rallies and there are TAC rallies. All can be found on the Rallies link. The Can Opener rally is soon, I think, and it is a Forum rally and somewhere in the southeast. Too far for us to travel, but you should check it out.

You are already a member of a group—the Forum—and if you post on various threads, you will meet many people electronically and may eventually meet them in person.

It is better than you have seen on this and other WBCCI oriented threads.

Gene
Old 10-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #616
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Deston-

One of the side benefits of owning an Airstream is you will almost be forced to meet other Airstream owners as you travel. Three in a large park or campground seems like a mini-rally, and you will end up saying hello and getting acquainted... Some of the local units are good, some are not. Some are informal and fun, some are formal and tradition-bound and boring. The Forum Rallies (less formal organization, more flexibility to do your thing and meet like-minded people..) are a good way to get out and meet other cheerful Airstream owners enjoying themselves...

My sense is most of the fighting is between elders in Motorhomes and Leadership posts trying to protect and preserve their vision from younger members in trailers wanting to ditch the uniforms and parliamentarian and formal Hoo Haa of the International Rally and associated expenses and bureacracy... As Gene says, easy to ignore that if you choose, join an electronic regional unit like Washington DC and just enjoy your free time...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #617
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Just a note. The Oregon unit voted the motorhome motion down. We will vote 117 no votes at International this Summer.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #618
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
Just a note. The Oregon unit voted the motorhome motion down. We will vote 117 no votes at International this Summer.

Is there an an actual motion out there on the issue??
If so can some one send me a copy??

I thought all there was so far is a committee recommendation .

If there is a need to vote I want to be sure our unit is aware of it, and hopefully votes as Oregon did.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #619
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
The motion was made, it will be voted on by the delegates in June.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #620
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The delegates won't vote unless it is sent to the units for discussion. The proposal has NOT been sent as of October 8.
Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci