Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #561
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
Big difference between a class B and a class A.

I just don't see the club elite driving around in a class B.
They might not want to mess around with just a mickeymouse moho when they can actually bring the whole shebang thanks to adding upstairs dormers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bvan1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	140634

Name:	rv-bigger-than-a-house.jpg
Views:	2185
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	140633

Although Airstream has the nicer two story than any SOB, but it will cost them and they have to settle for previously loved...

Name:	SkyDeck.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	140635

Or they can go bigger still. Watch how this monster streams through the air. That's almost a caravan in itself!

It's no wonder they let the VAC take care of the parade. Can you see them traveling the parade route and making those turns. Way too much trouble.

photography
Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #562
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just to keep a little perspective, Newell motor homes are considered by many to be the FINEST motor home produced. That includes Prevost in the comparisons.

They start at $1.4 MILLION and go up rapidly from there. They are truly a custom creation and IMHO, are second to none!

I work on many Newells when in SW Florida and am the factory's go-to guy when owners in that area have problems (rare, but they do happen). I wonder if I'll be working on the Interstates as well. Surely no magic there.......just the usual RV stuff.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #563
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
What perspective is that? Are fine SOBs more appropriate for an Airstream only club? I am just not getting the relevance of your statement.

photography
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #564
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
I don't think we're asking the right questions. It doesn't appear that Newell is a THOR company. And it would seem to be a manufacturer, not a mere dealership. So why have they, "joined forces?" Airstream already has authorized dealers to sell their Class B. Is Airstream having problems selling the Interstate? It all just strikes me as odd, considering that Newell is a competitor of THOR. Or do I have that wrong?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #565
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Perhaps Newell thinks there is a need for a "High End Toad" and Airstream thinks they may have enough of a market to make it worth their while to wholesale to them?

Sort of like the Airstream dog rolling over to show submission to a bigger dog?

Pure speculation on my part
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 09-21-2011, 04:45 AM   #566
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Interesting situation, what a nice toad if that is the case. jim
Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #567
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
What perspective is that? Are fine SOBs more appropriate for an Airstream only club? I am just not getting the relevance of your statement.
The perspective IS that given the stratospheric pricing of a Newell Coach, you won't be seeing any in the front row at the WBCCI conclaves.

And Newell has no corporate connection to Thor or any other entity, being totally independent. I would guess that they have had requests from their well-heeled clients for a quality TOAD that can be pulled behind their Newell Coaches that will also give them the opportunity to visit smaller venues like state parks where their 46' behemoths are not welcome. I would venture a guess that the Newell folks took a look at the B-van market and decided that the Airstream Interstate was the closest approximation to what they would build for their clients.

And I'm certain that you will not be seeing many Newell owners clamoring for membership in WBCCI either.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #568
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Also interesting that the Chevy based Avenue is not mentioned, just the Mercedes based Interstate.

Gene
Old 09-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #569
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
There really is not a "motor home" issue with WBCCI anyway. Our "issue" is with a few people who are trying to take advantage of the rest of the club.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #570
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Well stated Bill! And Lew thanks for explaining that. It makes sense that a couple to few who are clamoring to have a new motorhome wouldn't necessarily be in the market for a Newell given the high cost. Forrest there were so many BVans when I visited Airstream one time they well outnumbered the trailers. With fewer and fewer dealers I wonder if that is why they are looking to expand their marketing. In this area the dealers have pulled out of Michigan and Ohio in multiples. It's difficult to see units aside from the factory tour now.

photography
Old 09-22-2011, 04:30 AM   #571
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Like your sig Wheel. Sometimes life is heaven even if your marshmallows are charred black. Do what needs to be done, say what needs to be said, and then go with the flow! jim
Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #572
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
letter to editor

The more i read the letter to the editor in the Oct. Blue Beret, the more I wonder what is really going on?

I was under the impression that the letters to the editor were supposed to be a way for "mere members" to post their views on various subjects. Not a Forum for International officers to promote their views

John Stumpf is the international 3rd VP and hardly comes under the heading of "mere members"

In addition a lot of what he says makes little sense, at least to me, but maybe I missed something along the way

Quote:
I believe that we thought that the club would accept the THOR motorhomes with no reservations. There
were concerns over paint and many other items.
Concerns about paint is why some of object to Thor motor homes in the club?
I thought it was because they aren't Airstreams.

Quote:
My feeling is that if they pay dues, they should
be able to have all the perks. How would someone feel if they were invited to join a club, but
then treated like a red-headed step-child. Would they want to join - I don’t think so.

Ask the MAL members how they feel. They don't have all the perks, like holding office and voting and they own Airstreams.

So far as being invited to join the club, No one with a Thor motorhome has been invited. The price of admission is owning an Airstream. Pretty simple in an Airstream club.

The one thing John has confirmed is there are good used Airstream motorhomes to be found out there so continuing membership is not a problem.

Just a dissenting opinion
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #573

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Sheesh... 2 moho letters published in 2 months. I responded to this one, I thought the one last month was annoying as well but it was so poorly written and unfocused I thought no one would actually give it much credence anyway.

That a WBCCI VP is grinding his axe about it in the letters to the editor was enough to make me write. We'll see if any anti-Thor-moho letters get published.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #574
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Just to piggy back on Rick's comment a bit. Other than the desire for a brand new motor home, there is no reason to buy something other than an Airstream. I have seen a large number of beautiful used Airstream MoHo's lately. Some are lovingly restored silver ones as well as very gently used newer models. There is NOT a shortage of reliable good Airstream MoHo's to be had!!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #575
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As far as the Blue Beret being a vehicle for the Party Line I like the part in the Presidents letter stating that the last 5 years have been a period of desent and that is now behind us. It is not behind me. As long as the Feckless Leadership continues to spend like drunken sailors and show complete disrespect for the membership that discontent will remain front and center in my eyes.

I suggest that anyone thinking of writing any comment against the MH issue they post them here if the expect them to have any readership.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #576
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Unfortunately, posting here will be mostly preaching to the choir. I don't know how many WBCCI members are active on this forum, but I doubt that it is many.

Letters should be sent to the editor with a copy to the international and region leadership.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
As far as the Blue Beret being a vehicle for the Party Line I like the part in the Presidents letter stating that the last 5 years have been a period of desent and that is now behind us. It is not behind me. As long as the Feckless Leadership continues to spend like drunken sailors and show complete disrespect for the membership that discontent will remain front and center in my eyes.

I suggest that anyone thinking of writing any comment against the MH issue they post them here if the expect them to have any readership.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 09-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #577
Rivet Master

WKERFOOT

I wasn't going to say anything, and I haven't seen the Oct 2011 BB, but. After last months "Letter to the Editor" by Hazel Knopp, I called HQ and talk to a staff member. I told the Club Staff member, I was not happy about the misinformation Mrs Knopp's personal survey presented. I was told I could write a Letter to the Editor as well. I asked if I could speak to the Editor of the BB, to get a feeling if I would be published and was told that the Editor was not the person who reads and "allows", or "disallows" the printed word in the Blue Beret. I was told that I would not be given this person's name, nor would I be put in contact with this person who wields the power what will be in the Letters to the Editor. Knee jerk response was NOT to write, but after a few days, I did infact send a Letter to the Editor. Never heard a word, and evidently no print in the BB. I included several articles from the RV BUSINESS which states first, that Class Motorhome sales are way down, and second Class A motorhome ownershiip is in the minority compared to towable ownership. Guess it went into the trash bin.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #578
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I think the International President has the last word as to what is published. I think that was why Leo's candidacy statement was not allowed after it had been set up. ???

Watch out Howie you are sounding exactly like Leo down to the same terminology when he tried to tell you the very same thing before the lawsuit got scuttled in assurance of the monumental changes and desired outcome the new committee would bring about.

The editor's letters certainly haven't been drawn at random but are more commentary and political in nature than publishing members' letters. They are very pointedly using every avenue to keep pushing hard for the sob initiative.

photography
Old 09-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #579
Rivet Master

This is a graph from RV Business showing the state of RV sales.

Name:	Aug_2011_Shipments_cfm_1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	141160
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #580
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
So..... the Blue Beret as a club publication which in the past has been viewed as a product of little value, has now become the instrument of leadership propaganda!

I promised my wife I would not let any club issue get to me, so....all I have to say about those statistics is, that's Bullshit!

Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci