Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #309
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
There has been no information provided for discussions with my Unit. On that basis, any non-Airstream change would get a NO vote. Until discussions at the unit.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #310
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
There has been no information provided for discussions with my Unit. On that basis, any non-Airstream change would get a NO vote. Until discussions at the unit.
Thanks!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #311
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
There is no "official" vote on this issue because at this point it is only a report of the special committee that was looking into the issue. The report will be presented at the IBT seminar in Du Quoin and members may comment on the report at that time.

I am disappointed that the committee chose to recommend the same proposal that was soundly defeated at the delegates meeting a few years ago. There were several ideas that might have been acceptable by more members, but to open the club up to non Airstream products is clearly a proposal that would never be approved by the delegates.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 05-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #312
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Wasn't the Special Bylaws and Constitution Revision Committee charged only with making a report back to the International President on consolidation and housekeeping measures and an extention granted from their Mid-Winter incompleted due date???

I am wondering if Don Shaefer's claim and non-recommendation (thusly documented and reserved for future implimentation and thusly a fail safe measure for desired results of the EC7's design) that the Special Committee's scope is unconstitutional that action is actually being delayed on a ruling made by the IP and/or parlimentarian to be dismissed according to the outcome of the delegates meeting and whether the EC7 is in favor or opposition to what is finally proposed.

Roberts Rules and Constitution aside there is quite a bit of latitude being exercised by leadership without general membership's agreement of propriety.

photography
Old 05-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #313
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
So while I'm fundamentally against the idea of a principled change to the club, opening it up to non-Airstream owners, I can also see the problem that the recent change in factory policy has created for a few of our members. The least we can do is to help just those folks out with a temporary, ad-hoc measure.

Lynn
Correct me if I am mistaken but units have always been able to make "allowances" to help members retain their membership in the club and their local unit even when they no longer own an Airstream.

The problem being is that once you make the big time you can never go back it, or so it would seem. Many of the International Club, no longer return to their local units after serving but rather retain their Past International standing and continue to be disenfrancized from their former unit and cling to their friends at the International level.

Staying a member of WBCCI is not actually the problem we have in the club. Getting them to relinquish control or stay in Airstreams to qualify as WBCCI leaders IS the problem.

I commend your peace making spirit and emphathy Lynn but I have the impression we are being worked over and given a bogus bill of goods.

photography
Old 05-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #314
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
My unit voted NO on both Motorhome proposals previously presented.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #315
Rivet Master

Who would it effect?

If the WBCCI did allow THOR MOHO's into the club, who would it "really" effect anyway in the short term? I would think it would mainly effect some of the Unit's in Florida and TX which is where most of the current and past IBT/EC7 hang thier hat when their not traveling on the WBCCI checkbook.

In the past, there has been talk about the more "progressive" Units breaking away to form there own club. But maybe we have this thinking 180 degrees out of sync. Maybe, just maybe the Unit's pushing for the MOHO changed should leave the club and form a new one that fits their needs better.

My guess, we would need to give that group some "walking money" maybe in the tune of say; "1,000,000.00 DOLLARS"

YouTube - ‪One Million Dollars‬‏
Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #316
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
In the event of a divorce or anullment, WBCCI would likely get their lawyers to walk away with the lion's share of proceeds and the right to retain the 55 year old name and history, but only for restitution purposes and to shortly chuck it to the ground in favor of SOB motorhomes and a new club name, while the Airstream enthusiasts would be stripped and prohibited from using Airstream or Wally Byam trademarks or claiming affiliation. Go figure...it's all about winning and the money in the bank and control and not the least about the Airstream product or preservation of Wally's name and the Airstream club of the past generations.

photography
Old 05-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #317
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
... to shortly chuck it to the ground in favor of SOB motorhomes and a new club name, while the Airstream enthusiasts would be stripped and prohibited from using Airstream [emphasis, LAE] or Wally Byam trademarks or claiming affilitation.
I suspect that Airstream Inc. might just have a thing or two to say. (Recall that Airforums once had a different name -- until Airstream Inc. stepped in.)

Lynn
Old 05-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #318
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Yeah I never can remember the new name of Airstream Dreams, luckily it still reconnects to the right web page and so does Airstream Forums. But my point being is why prevent others from enjoying the name and heritage as with Save Wally and the Wally Byam Birthday Bash just to cast it off for a new and different club name and open enrollment of all brands of RVs? Why not let the International Club move on and branch off by themselves to form their own new constitution and leave the WBCCI in tact for the majority of contented Airstream owners that enjoy the club as it was successful about the Airstream product? Isn't that a lot like opening up the Girl Scouts of America to boys?

photography
Old 05-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #319
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
Effective? Effective at WHAT? Financial planning? Financial management? Marketing? Member retention? Member recruitment? Are there really any pluses in this column? Some core club value that they are effective at?
Well, how about being effective, even tireless, in trying to get SOBs accepted into the club. (That is what this thread is about.) Will they achieve that goal? I don't know, but I wouldn't call them feckless for their efforts.

Lynn
Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #320
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
More like: determined, self serving and ruthless would be better descriptions for those activities.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #321
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
Bottom line - SOBs in -- Airstreams OUT -- no doubt...__
Great segue to begin anew. I left the club volantarily, so did many others. There are so many Airstream owners out here who just want those associations of other Airstream Owners. In general we do not want the sun blocked out from a 12 foot high plastic box parked next to us, but we will make exceptions for our friends who happen to own Airstream MH's.

There comes a time when the only good choice for the human condition is to give up the insanity of constant bickering.

Five years ago I knew that the club was going to tank. That is because it was obvious to me that the focus and mission of its officers and their peers were not that of its general membership. I tried my best to convince others to make the case for splitting and start a new club but I guess the forces of not giving up on a lost cause were greater than the vision of creating a new club from scratch.

It is now time for a general rebellion to show the 450 some odd MH owners that they can have the club and the treasury to which they cling so dearly.

Whole units should vote themselves out of the WBCCI and form their own local Airstream Association. Should someone start a national organization with Airstream Company approval they can always apply for a charter to the new club.

Its time to reduce the WBCCI to the point of 450 members, which is their ultimate goal!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #322
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm with Lynn: Leadership has been very effective in what they have attempted to do. The MOHO vote was just a temporary setback; look at all the effective opposition they have marginalized (banned or induced to resign).

Lynn has also described a more realistic POV as to the problems faced by the folks that are aging out of their current motorhomes: No mystery that folks - and leaders - that have always been WBCCI members would want to continue; many years of relationships and activities. Nothing sinister - it is the natural order of things when focus is lost.

The problem is that WBCCI management believes that it owes more to their friends and colleagues - years of hard work and relationships are at stake - than it does to the mission of the club. Conflict? Resolve it according to their wishes. You can rationalize anything - just talk to a teenager, right? Nothing new. This is why so many non-profits fail after a long life - the mission gets clouded and the energy dissipates. If my wife were online, she'd mention the metamorphosis of Randolph-Macon Woman's College into Randolph College.

Absent a change of management, the institution must fail when it loses its focus. There is nothing unusual about this - it is the natural order of things.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci