Old 10-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
Lightbulb WBCCI Moderation

At the risk of being moderated out, I would like to know why the sudden urge to close a number of the WBCCI threads? Has there been a request by a number of posters or has there been any outside influence to shut down dissent?

I realize that some of the posts are somewhat inappropriate and tend to stray off topic, however there appears to be someone who is always willing to bring it back to the original subject.

I view these actions as censorship albeit with cause, but censorship just the same. In my opinion closing these threads runs the risk of someone opening a new one just because they are not finished with something to say! Running this line carries with it the slippery slope of unintended consequences.

From my standpoint it is way better for the thread to pass into history through disinterest that it is to call attention to it for further discussion by closing it prematurely!

Just some thoughts from a AF Member!

wam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Maybe it has something to do with this:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/misc...ork&page=rules

Lynn

Old 10-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Censorship is deleting threads. Moderation is leaving them in place for everyone to see why the thread was closed. Regardless, censorship is irrelevant on a privately owned forum . . .
Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Every active WBCCI thread has been closed recently. In the case of Leo G terminated the issues that were raised of Leo's termination have not been resolved and the thread is not primarily about a lawsuit but of inappropraite action of the committee that expelled him without a defense and possible recourse. Just because one avenue was shut down doesn't make it any less existent. But closing all threads down has aided further in the cause of the one that caused the dead end to begin with and now adding the use of speech prohibited has cut deeper into list of the elimination of recourse. The new lawsuit gag order has been overly broad as to trump any other concerns. It seems the forum is taking issue with raising issues that have begun to raise other issues. Some have "goal" and can call it and be safe leaving others scratching their heads at the wonder of it. It's just as pertinent to discuss WBCCI issues as it ever was or will be. There should be something more easily followed in posting that will allow members to avoid being locked out of their discussions without knowing if and when a post can or will stick these days. Touchy and trigger reflexes comes to mind. Too bad the discussion of reopening Save Wally got shut down with the thread too. That has the potential to be a positive direction to shift WBCCI talk elsewhere and seems counter productive to the current extent and desire of moderation of WBCCI threads. As a supporting member I felt at liberty to post in the subforum that most interests me but now every post is a reason to shut it down it seems. It's very disappointing to me to find it is being eliminated.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Maybe the mods got tired of the same things being said over and over, seemingly mostly by currently non-members of the WBCCI. zz
Old 10-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
the same things being said over and over
I am not surprised. Similar posts are threaded together in a single thread for organization, not for variation. All threads address the same matters over and over again by design. Put that thread into a subforum and it is all the more organized into similarities and most especially when the same active posters continue to post. That is not a breach.

photography
Old 10-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

you never know

As crazy as it may sound, my guess the owners of airforums maybe afraid of being sued by people posting on the forums and the possible personal attacks that some feel have happen by these postings. In the past, there have been forum owners sued because someone did not like what someone else has said about them on those forums and or their business and was taken to federal court over posts on different forums dealing with all types of subjects. These lawsuits can drag out for years and cost the forums owners many dollars in defending themselves and many times in the end result in a settlement just to shut up the person bringing the lawsuit against them.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
As crazy as it may sound, my guess the owners of airforums maybe afraid of being sued by people posting on the forums and the possible personal attacks that some feel have happen by these postings.
Paul I would agree with you if one thread was shut down, but all WBCCI threads at the same time. If two folks are having a public foray within a thread, yeah time to knock them both out, but a whole series with only the club as the common denominator??? What gives? I suppose I shouldn't care because after 11 years and all this bad advertisment, I have decided to give the WBCCI a rest from using my $126 bucks a year (4 Units). I'll still stay in touch with friends but I could care less about those meatballs in red coats (or white tux) and funny hats!
Should things actually get better (I'm not holding my breath) I might reconsider!

wam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Jeepers, I figured that it was just that the mods thought that we already had a good place for that type of discussion.

It's the Argue thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...d-60297-9.html
Old 10-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Pretty obvious to me...people are beating a dead horse.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Naw the body is still warm Shari. And it might be better to express exactly what is perceived as the lost cause and what is still ahead to work towards. I think in some cases the blanket generalizations are causing a lot of misunderstandings. The values and goals are still in tact. And the future looks quite bright to me. You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it. Sing along. It is just a grand illusion.

YouTube - Styx- "Fooling Yourself (Angry Young Man)" (HD) live in Verona, NY on July 2, 2009

Maybe a little paler but certainly not dead yet.

Relax.. Take it easy..
"You see the world through your cynical eyes
You're a troubled young man I can tell
You've got it all in the palm of your hand
But your hand's wet with sweat
And your head needs a rest
And you're fooling yourself if you don't believe it
You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it.
Why must you be such an angry young man
When your future looks quite bright to me?
And how can there be such a sinister plan
That could hide such a lamb
Such a caring young man
And you're fooling yourself if you don't believe it
You're killing yourself if you don't believe it
Get up, (get up!) get back on your feet
You're the one they can't beat and you know it
Come on (come on!) let's see what you've got
Just take your best shot and don't blow it.

photography
Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
And it might be better to express exactly what is perceived as the lost cause and what is still ahead to work towards.
I agree with you, Carol. Suppose you do that! Because at this point I can't keep the lost causes, dead horses, and bright futures straight.

Bearing in mind, of course, that one very specific topic is absolutely taboo. Look at the closed threads and (if you have copies) the deleted posts, and see for yourself.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
As crazy as it may sound, my guess the owners of airforums maybe afraid of being sued by people posting on the forums and the possible personal attacks that some feel have happen by these postings.
No. Members are primarily responsible for the content they post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam52 View Post
Paul I would agree with you if one thread was shut down, but all WBCCI threads at the same time.
There is no conspiracy and moderators are not taking sides. We are not pro or anti wbcci. We ARE pro AIR however and moderate as fairly as we know how. The issue is that the same content was being posted over and over and by the same folks. When one thread was closed they moved on to the next and posted the same content even when it was off topic for the thread. The usual way of managing this is to remove the off topic posts, but after doing this repeatedly and as it appeared that nothing NEW was being contributed to the threads, we closed them. It was not planned to close them all at once or even at all. It just happened.

Mods have spent the bulk of their mod time for many months managing these few threads and members are frankly, complaining. If a new topic is on the horizon that's cool, just please don't post the same arguments again... over and over and over and over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Pretty obvious to me...people are beating a dead horse.

Shari
What she said

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I am afraid saying same content is very vague and not actually the criteria. There is plenty of repetition by the same people in threads about hitches or axles or tires. I also don't think I say the same thing twice but I do know I will be the same poster so I think it is a frequency rule that has been abused perhaps. If I post too often I would rather have known before I jut reupped as a contributer because I wont be getting to post as much or take part in the discussions we used to be able to have before this. I don't agree but that doesn't change the outcome, whoops I did say I don't agree before. Not so easy to never say the same thing twice is it? I suppose it could be said of anyone at any time.

photography