Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
WBCCI Membership Challenge

At a recent Forum rally some of us were sitting around musing about next years International being held just across the border in Madison. Many religions encourage the faithful to visit certain holy sites once in their lifetime. Should we join our fellow Airstream travelers? Should we make the pilgrimage to Madison? Let’s say the opinions varied greatly.
We’re all aware that the rhetoric over the Wally Club has gotten pretty hot the last few years. Common sense would indicate that you test the temperature of a pool by sticking your toe in first and not diving in headlong. I decided to test the waters by using e-mail instead.
I composed an e-mail in the style common to postings I’ve seen on other boards frequented by younger, more hurried and somewhat less knowledgeable authors than the typical Forum member. Yeah, you’ve seen those. Various misspelled words, capitalization errors and poor grammar. I stated I owned a vintage unit, wanted to attend the Madison event and pointedly asked why I should join one unit over another. These E-mails were sent out on 7-14-08 to the contact people listed in the WBCCI Unit Guides for the Wisconsin, Northern Illinois and WDCU units. Each was sent the identical text with only the order of the units shifted around for each individual letter. In addition the notes weren’t signed using my Forum screen name or sent from the usual mailbox. With all I’ve heard and read the general impression is that the WBCCI is a perfect club for retirees. I’m still 12 years out from that milestone. I wanted to leave the impression of a 30-something who had recently bought a trailer and wanted to join a club. I was looking to gauge the reaction of the membership chair.
I received an enthusiastic response from the WDCU in 4 hours. The next came in 3 days later from the Illinois Unit. That gentleman stated he was on the road and to forward my request to another person in the unit. Haven’t received a follow up as of yet. At the time of this post I haven’t received anything from the Wisconsin Unit.
So there it stands after 11 days. Aside from WDCU the response is underwhelming.
I’ll be sending the application out in a couple of days but I thought I’d see if any rank and file members would care to comment on their experiences with these Units. Please don’t think I’m some arrogant jerk trying to cause trouble. So much positive feedback has been posted here about WDCU and little about the units in the Chicago Milwaukee area, I thought I would try to bridge the gap.

Thanks for wading through this admittedly long mess. Just wanted to make this ramble as clear as possible to the reader.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
appleton , Wisconsin
my 1st post on this forum..... been a lurker for awhile

I am actually mid '30s and have started the search for a decent vintage Airstream. (This forum is great BTW.) Hopefully finding one and have it camp worthy before my family out grows our tiny canned ham.

On Tuesday I saw there was a local rally by the WI club next month so I sent an e-mail to the president of the club asking if it would be ok if I came out and spent some time looking at their rigs to learn more. (even though i didn't have an airstream)

e-mail times
12:37 I sent the e-mail
1:43 she responded with a very hearty welcome to the airstream sickness, and to come on out.

She also forwarded my info to a local contact and he responded at 5:29 that same evening, even though he was out of town. I actually commented on how impressed I was with the speedy response time. He invited me to look at his rigs and tonight most likely I will.

Based on that interaction...when I buy a rig the first upgrade I'll make will be a club membership. response time is important. You only have 1 time to make a good 1st impression.
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Tom,

I'm glad to see "Star Grover" was on top of her game with the WDCU. Star is currently our 2ndVP and Membership Chair person(my guess, that's who you emailed). It sounds like you will be joining the WDCU based on the response. We do all of our "biz" over the net via email. Though most if not all of our rallies are from NC to NH (up and down the east coast) we are always willing and wanting to head west.

It appears there will be many WDCU members at International next year with some going that have not been in many years. So watch out for the black flags and pirate patches.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Thumbs up Wisconsin rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
These E-mails were sent out on 7-14-08 to the contact people listed in the WBCCI Unit Guides for the Wisconsin, Northern Illinois and WDCU units.

Tom,

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "WBCCI Unit Guides"--I presume this is something on the WBCCI web site, which seems to be down at the moment, so I don't know who in particular you emailed it to. But I must say that the Wisconsin is a great unit--we love it--and very welcoming to new and younger members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
I’ll be sending the application out in a couple of days but I thought I’d see if any rank and file members would care to comment on their experiences with these Units
As I said, we have been members of the Wisconsin Unit for more than five years--and numerous rallies--and love it. To get some idea of the flavor of the unit, would suggest looking through some of our newsletters, The Badger Bulletin, on the Wisconsin Unit web site, WBCCI Wisconsin - Region 7, Unit 116

Hope to see you down the road,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Tom: We joined the WI unit last Dec after attending a luncheon the month earlier. Because of other travel commitments this summer, we have had to miss the WI unit outings so far this summer other than luncheons during the winter here. I can tell the group is welcoming and there is a wide range of ages in the group. We've added new members since we joined and we look forward to our camping with the WI group within the next month or so. Our unit Pres makes us feel welcome and I would encourage you to attend one of our events to see if you like the group. Nothing I've seen so far makes me think it's formal at all. It's kind of like shopping for churches. Until you experience it, you don't really know what you're getting into.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Who In WI did you send the notice?

Can you let us know who you sent the email in WI?

I know we respond ASAP if we get it.

Heck with that said, come join us, not all of us are 70! WI has a very strong Vintage group and we are always looking for someone to lead down the wrong WBCCI path!

Drop me a line and I'll set you up.
Ed
Past Vintage Airstream Club President and a WI member!
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Hodag said "my 1st post on this forum..... been a lurker for awhile. I am actually mid '30s and have started the search for a decent vintage Airstream. (This forum is great BTW.) Hopefully finding one and have it camp worthy before my family out grows our tiny canned ham."

Hodag - There is a 1954 Flying Cloud right there in Appleton!! Needs a good bit of work, but something worth while for you to check out. With a good bit of money & skills, this could be a great restoration.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Appleton Airstreams

My wife a daughter went to look at that trailer, its nice. A good solid unit. BTW the reason they went to look is another person in Appleton was told the Airstream club in the area was great and they should check it out. So being the GOOD WI UNIT MEMBER, they went and looked at the trailer for this person. I'm out the door to go look at another for a guy who is wanting a trailer this AM.

Hey its a WI thing, come join us!
Ed
Old 07-26-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitsend View Post
Hodag - There is a 1954 Flying Cloud right there in Appleton!! Needs a good bit of work, but something worth while for you to check out. With a good bit of money & skills, this could be a great restoration.
yep I saw that one, thanks

wife and daughter have a bathroom high on the list of must haves
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
One thing that never fails is a quick reply from someone on the Forum.
With my ancestral home just southwest of Green Bay I was glad to see all the comments from the Wisconsin Unit. I figured with a little nudge I'd see some action. The WBCCI website seems to have been down for most of the last 2 weeks. The Save Wally Unit Guide lists Joan Lahr as the contact for your group.
The WDCU’s comments about pirates made me grin. As an "Journeyman Auto Technician" I’m a pirate by trade. Y’all bees remember’n the last time yur purse was emptied by my on o’ me mates? Arrrghh.
Don't forget! Welcome to the Official site for Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19
Thanks for the responses.

Tom.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Tom,

Quote:
The Save Wally Unit Guide lists Joan Lahr as the contact for your group.
I checked, and I see that Joan Lahr's old email address listed in the Save Wally Unit guide is not the same as the current one on the WI unit web site. So that may be the reason you didn't get a response. The other thing is, the Lahrs are on the road a lot and may have been out of email contact for a while.

On another subject, I do hope that you will join the WBCCI and come to some Wisconsin Unit functions, as well as next year's International. The reason I say this is that Unit rallies are more fun than the International. The International is primarily about meetings and politics which are almost completely absent from Unit rallies. Also, if you are into vintage Airstreams you might want to come to the Vintage Airstream Club rally at Osceola, WI this September 5-7.

Hope to see you down the road,
Nuvi
Old 07-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Here is something to remember about joining a group that is run by those older than us..
You may not be of that now, but you will be evenually and then it will be your turn. After all the older generation evenually will be at the point where they will have to turn it over to the younger, so all groups need younger persons in the organization because evenually they are going to have to take over.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
After all the older generation evenually will be at the point where they will have to turn it over....
Right. I’ve been involved with a 50 year old organization run by volunteers. I’m well aware of how egos, politics and the death of an influential member can influence decisions. I would hate to see WBCCI self destruct by not changing with the times.
I would have liked to come up to the Vintage Rally but my plate is full until the middle of September.

Tom.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Why don't you join the WI unit and the WDCU? We are one big club right? Anyway Tom, Come out and camp with us... You can caravan out with Byamcaravaner next April to the Cherry Blossom Rally. Or if you want to go sooner the WDCU has a rally to the Outer Banks, NC in August. A luau rally in September near Cape May NJ, and the installation rally in October in central New York. All of those rallies will be a very good time for all ages. You will be welcomed like family even if you don't join our unit, so come....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
my 1st post on this forum..... been a lurker for awhile

Welcome to the forum

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Appleton Area Trailer

BTW there is a 65-66 Caravel for sale in Rosendale, it sits on the north side of town. Went there yesterday to look, $7,500 OBO, there was a bath in it!
Looks solid and all there, skin was in good condition as well. It was locked but I could see through the windows.

Take a look & I have nothing to do with the trailer other than trying to help draw another WI VINTAGE member!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
A few months ago I was ready to join Everglades unit in SW Florida,but after all the negative imput I`ve read about WBCCI,I think I will put it on hold for a while.I`m 58 and just consider myself an old Hippie .How can this happen,can`t the chapters vote out of office the upper eschelon that won`t bend to change ? If they continue to stay in office ,than I would assume the majority of the membership must agree with the way they are running things.I thing I will just wait and see. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
A few months ago I was ready to join Everglades unit in SW Florida,but after all the negative imput I`ve read about WBCCI,I think I will put it on hold for a while.I`m 58 and just consider myself an old Hippie .How can this happen,can`t the chapters vote out of office the upper eschelon that won`t bend to change ? If they continue to stay in office ,than I would assume the majority of the membership must agree with the way they are running things.I thing I will just wait and see. Dave
Dave, I wouldn't hesitate joining because of the upper-level WBCCI/IBT stuff! For the fun and enjoyment of Airstream caravaning, rallying and pleasure, the local unit is where the real action is and always will be! Locate one that suits your fancy, and away you go!

It's only that some of us are also interested in the way that this club is run at the upper levels. Not everybody is interested in this matter, nor do they have to be. (But if it should ever come to something like a vote on issues involving the overall structure of the WBCCI, we'd hope to garner your support in favor of positive change!)

Lynn
Old 07-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
.I`m 58 and just consider myself an old Hippie .....I thing I will just wait and see. Dave
Dave I am a 42 year old hippie and joining the WBCCI and the WDCU have been a great experience for me and my family. We have all made good friends and we yern to go to the next rally to see our friends again. I think what you do for and with the club is what makes the difference.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
my 1st post on this forum..... been a lurker for awhile. . .

On Tuesday I saw there was a local rally by the WI club next month so I sent an e-mail to the president of the club asking if it would be ok if I came out and spent some time looking at their rigs to learn more. (even though i didn't have an airstream)

e-mail times
12:37 I sent the e-mail
1:43 she responded with a very hearty welcome. . .

She also forwarded my info to a local contact and he responded at 5:29 that same evening, even though he was out of town. I actually commented on how impressed I was with the speedy response time. He invited me to look at his rigs and tonight most likely I will.

Based on that interaction...when I buy a rig the first upgrade I'll make will be a club membership. response time is important. You only have 1 time to make a good 1st impression.
Ho,

I second Janet in welcoming you to the forums. And I especially thank you for joining the forum to put in a good word about your experience. As you have found, Appleton is a hotbed of Vintage Airstream activity. I hope--and predict--that you will find a suitable Airstream soon and join the Wisconsin Unit and VAC. We have a lot of fun together.

See you down the road,
Nuvi