Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Well, whadída you know. The WBCCI website is working today. I figured I had better join up now before it goes down again.
The Wisconsin Unit has been submitted as the affiliation of choice. Once the paperwork arrives and membership is confirmed Iíll add the VAC as well.
Iím intrigued by 62overlanderís idea of joining 2 Units. Have to wait on that however.
Just an update. As of 2 weeks, still no contact from the Illinois Unit. No matter. Looking forward to meeting you all in the near future.

Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
Well, whadída you know. The WBCCI website is working today. I figured I had better join up now before it goes down again.
The Wisconsin Unit has been submitted as the affiliation of choice. Once the paperwork arrives and membership is confirmed Iíll add the VAC as well.
Iím intrigued by 62overlanderís idea of joining 2 Units. Have to wait on that however.
Just an update. As of 2 weeks, still no contact from the Illinois Unit. No matter. Looking forward to meeting you all in the near future.

Tom
Hey, Tom,

That's great news! Let me be the first to welcome you to the Wisconsin Unit!

And yes, you can join as many units as you want. You pay your WBCCI dues through your "primary" unit and just pay your Unit dues ($1 - $20) for "affiliate" memberships in the other unit(s). Basically that gets you their newsletter and directory (if they have them--some don't). (You only get to vote in your primary unit.)

Incidentally, as a member of WBCCI in any capacity you can attend any WBCCI or VAC rally.

Again, welcome to WBCCI and the WI unit! Hope to see you soon!

See you down the road,
Nuvi

Old 07-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
appleton , Wisconsin
I gotta ask.....

the dues for WBCCI seem kinda high

for a hobbyist club

is it just me?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:53 AM   #32
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
A drop in the bucket if you ask me. About the same as three cases of beer.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:17 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
A drop in the bucket if you ask me. About the same as three cases of beer.
Hey '62 Overlander:

It's nice to see you have the right-sized beer bucket! It was great meeting you and your family at the '08 Vintage Trailer Jam. Keep on keeping the VAP's Rob and Colin on their polished toes.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Fred, Talking with you was one of the highlights of the weekend. As I told you before I am grateful for all you do for the club. Thank you.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:28 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Membership Dues?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
I gotta ask.....
the dues for WBCCI seem kinda high for a hobbyist club is it just me?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
When I joined as member at large I thought the same thing, I belong to many different organizations and WBCCI is the largest amount of them all..
If membership was lower such as 25.00 for national, 25.00 for club or chapter/unit dues would be more in line with other organizations, in addition it would definately draw in more members. Of those that I have met that are not members and a couple of those that are this is one issue we all feel the same on.

Sarge
Old 07-29-2008, 06:36 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Hello Wisconsin

Welcome to the Unit, can't wait to meet you at the next rally or at one of you WI Unit Vintage gatherings.

The dues................... heck I'll have 3 cases of beer with me at the next rally to make up the difference! Stop buy and test the waters!

Ed
Past WI Unit President
Past VAC President
Now just a guy under his awning.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Nuvite-F
Is the Cincinnati Local operating? I see no acitvity since 2006 at least on the website.I get no response from E-mails. Why would u live here and join a WIS Unit?
Frank U see now why I talk down about WBCCI ,Im sitting almost on top of the mother ship and there is NOBODY HOME.

Roger
Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Vintage Airstream????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitsend View Post
Hodag said "my 1st post on this forum..... been a lurker for awhile. I am actually mid '30s and have started the search for a decent vintage Airstream. (This forum is great BTW.) Hopefully finding one and have it camp worthy before my family out grows our tiny canned ham."

Hodag - There is a 1954 Flying Cloud right there in Appleton!! Needs a good bit of work, but something worth while for you to check out. With a good bit of money & skills, this could be a great restoration.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXX
Heres a thought for ya, and we will have to make a decision on this in the next month but Some things have changed here and instead of the 31 we have now I may have to move up to a 34 with slide before I expected too. We currently have a 1976 Soveirgn 31 foot that I may be selling to get into the other. I currently have it at AS Jackson Center for work to be done on it, it does need the following done; Water lines, water heater, fridge, shocks, and it is ready to use, another thing that should be done is the bumper repaired. But a person who mechanically inclined could fix it with ease.
In the inspection there are several small things that could use attention but not anything that is dire except that mentioned above and again someone who can do this stuff could do it over a period of time.
6500.00 + inspection bill would take it,

Sarge
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Home Sweet Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Incidentally, as a member of WBCCI in any capacity you can attend any WBCCI or VAC rally.
This is a facinating thread. I got my Airstream back in January and have been contemplating joining WBCCI. I was looking at the Southern Illinois Unit or the Greater St. Louis Unit, but I'm originally from Appleton.

Based on the quote above, I can join the Wisconsin Unit (Go Packers!) and still attend events close to home in Southern Illinois? That would be fantastic.

I get up to Wisconsin to camp with family & friends at least twice a year. What could be better than camping with a bunch of Airstreamers?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Dues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
If membership was lower such as 25.00 for national, 25.00 for club or chapter/unit dues would be more in line with other organizations, in addition it would definately draw in more members. Of those that I have met that are not members and a couple of those that are this is one issue we all feel the same on.

Sarge
Sarge,

I agree, International dues are really kinda on the high side, and lower dues might bring in more members. Because of fixed costs/declining membership they raised them a few years ago to the present $55 and membership dropped significantly.

The problem is that WBCCI has to support a headquarters and put out a monthly magazine and annual directory on total dues revenue of $300-400,000 a year, which isn't much when you have a payroll to meet. (Plus advertising revenue from the Blue Beret, which can't be a whole lot because the circulation is small.)

On the other hand, a new Airstream will cost you $40 - 100,000 and a new tow vehicle will run another $30 - 40, 000 and cost you $75 - 150 every time you fill up the tank(s), so $75 annual International/Unit dues is not a significant factor in the cost of Airstreaming.

Cheers,
Nuvi
Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
Based on the quote above, I can join the Wisconsin Unit (Go Packers!) and still attend events close to home in Southern Illinois? That would be fantastic.
Sure you can. Or, you can join both WI and SIU. The cost of a second "affiliate" membership is minimal, just the unit dues.

Hope to see you down the road,
Nuvi
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Nuvite-F
Is the Cincinnati Local operating? I see no acitvity since 2006 at least on the website.I get no response from E-mails. Why would u live here and join a WIS Unit?

Roger
Roger,

We are also members of the Miami Valley Unit of Ohio. We are mainly active with the Wisconsin Unit for two reasons:

1. On account of my Scandinavian genes we like to spend summers up here in the north woods, and

2. We went to our first Wisconsin Unit rally more than 5 years ago and we were hooked.

Both Miami Valley Unit of Ohio and Cincinnati Units are active, in fact they have some joint rallies. MVU doesn't have a web site. I don't know about Cincinnati. Units that start web sites need to be aware that they have to be kept up; an out-of-date web site is probably worse PR than none.

Cheers,
Nuvi