Old 09-21-2003, 10:49 AM   #43

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is the natural way of things. The activities won't shift with time to be more to your liking, you will be the one doing the shifting

I have a question for Frank, how come you say if you join in July that is $3.20 a month for the first year? That comes out to $38.40 for the year. I guess I am still confused about the way the WBCCI collects dues. I got my free membership in May and immediately go hit up for 2004 dues (which didn't make it feel like a free year at all).

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #44
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've pretty much covered my stance on the WBCCI subject (too many times), though I can't find them on this thread for some reason, do a search on WBCCI and you're sure to come across a few. Moreover, this similar thread has been covered 2 times just recently by Frank and one was recently merged so that there was only one.

Reader's Digest version:

Waste of time, don't need the looks when I crack a beer, walk the dog....I'm not interested in changing things, hunting down the hip units.... I would rather spend the little time I do have camping than playing the ambulance chaser bit applying band-aids when the paddles are needed! For some reason though no one will give a set of paddles to tinker with......

BTW, HP9K...at the rate of departure both natural and non-renewal, the "if the club exists" is a pretty tall order 25 years from now. Of course I do know there are some non-trainwreck units, just haven't found them yet and see above as to why...

Also, the money spent over 5 years could pay for a heck of a lot of campground time either with the folks around this forum or solo (and you don't have see those silly little berets)...next there will be secret handshakes and beretland like the Moose have.....

But hey, if it works for you and some others....I'm very happy for you! For me, it's all about the Airstream, using it and cutting all the fluff and such out of it.

No by-laws, no rules, no stares, no dues, just camp.

A bit larger than the Reader's Digest version....but at the very least, this thread might be merged into Frank's orginal WBCCI thread(s).

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:51 PM   #45

1968 17' Caravel
Dude, you must have had an awful experience at your first rally! Turned you into a bitter young man Just remember, they're not all like that, I haven't seen anyone wearing a beret yet...

I contacted a person with the WA unit today about an upcoming Halloween rally. He mentioned that the rally was planned for a weekend so working stiffs could enjoy it as well, so I asked if there were some younger members in the Unit. He replied that yes, there were some 50-60 year olds. I told him I was in my 30s and he nearly dropped the phone , but assured me that I would be welcome too. I don't doubt it, we certainly have been made to feel welcome at the other rally's we attended. I figure this will be our last chance to attend a rally during our trial membership, so we'd better squeeze it in so we can make our final decision.

Hey Jody, maybe we'll see you there if you can work it in!

Old 09-22-2003, 07:42 AM   #46
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Na, I didn't, I found it pretty lame. The sixty somethings pretty much brow beat anyone that didn't fit the mold. I then found that it was not an isolated case, that it were several units across the country that were the same way.

Then I started to meet folks while camping and we talked some Airstream shop, only one out of the approx 25 Airstreamers I met this season had anything good to say about WBCCI. All but one or two also said it was a waste of time (of course those few were like the grand poobahs or somethings as they had stars around their numbers..... and were upset that I had numbers and did not attach them). A few of us joked that the newsletters we received had folks pictures in it that practically had oxygen masks attached to them.

At any rate, I'd rather camp than hunt down a cool unit. Keep in mind I have nothing against the folks in the WBCCI nor the folks that have great times that are younger than the average age. If it works for you, fantastic. For me though with what I had seen myself and what I heard from folks from across the country (while camping independ of a group or rally) it paints a much larger problem that I personally don't want to get involved in. BTW, I will add that about 7-8 of the folks that had shared similar comments were the 50 and 60 something crowd, some retired, some not with not only the means, but the time to do the trips and such.....

If you have a good chapter, hold on tight and work it, but if the ones close to you are in the dumps and you have the time, by all means, try to make a change. For me, I don't have that kind of time and desire. My passion is the Airstream and taking it places and having fun. I deal with enough problems day in and day out, the last thing I need is to spend free time fixing or trying to change the mindsets. The groups will either change or cease to exist as some chapters have already folded. I would anticipate that might be a strong enough motivation for these folks to change. If they do, I'll re-join, if not, I'll simply sit on the sidelines and watch the bulk of the chapters that turn to dust in the wind.....

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:01 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I thanked the WBCCI for the "introductory year membership" and have mailed the un-used numbers and decals to the WBCCI in Jackson Center. The southern AZ chapter was disbanded about 6 months ago--lack of members to assume leadership, I guess.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:15 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
eric,
ill show you mine, if you'll show me yours (hand shake that is.....)
steffy,
where is the wa rally? im going to seattle next month..since i spent all summer searching, and finally finding miss moneypit i never got a chance to meet or experience what you and eric are talkin bout.....btw im searching for a 40 or 50 something that could crochet me a couple of coasters for my beer can.....

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:45 AM   #49

1968 17' Caravel
The halloween rally is Oct 24-26, in Westport WA, which is on the coast, not too far from Seattle depending on which part of Seattle you're in. They have enough spots set aside that you don't have to reserve ahead, you could just show up if it turns out to be convenient. I don't have exact directions yet. If you're coming all the way to Seattle from Chicago, you might as well get a look at the Pacific while you're here!

Old 09-22-2003, 11:07 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
steffy,
tanks a bunch!!!not having towed b4, i dont know how many extra days will be added to my drivetime....i also dont know how many days my friends(?) will put up with me...ahh..the beauty of an airstream,,,doncha know....so i just might make it over to the rally for open house...cuz im also not a member....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 09-22-2003, 11:17 AM   #51
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by norbert
so i just might make it over to the rally for open house...cuz im also not a member....
norby
Ok, Norby... the cat's out of the bag!

I believe that it is the sworn duty of each of us who ARE WBCCI members to take the next spot in line to take a swiing at Norby to brow-beat him into membership...

Here's my SWING! NOW are you ready to sign up yet? NO?

Uh, let's see, who was next up? I didn't see the batting lineup this morning!

Roger
Old 09-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Hey, Norby...

Quote:
btw im searching for a 40 or 50 something that could crochet me a couple of coasters for my beer can
I'm a 30-something, but I can crochet! Go ahead and place your order. Any particular style?

Quote:
don't need the looks when I crack a beer
I wish that everyone had the intro that we had when we joined WBCCI (while still in our 20's no less!). We were told that drinking at rallies was okay, but it's best to put an alcoholic beverage into a glass so that the drinking is discrete.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:04 PM   #53

1968 17' Caravel
At our first rally, during one of the dinners one of the ladies had a bottle of some sort of booze, and she was going around offering it to folks. I didn't think she was being offensive, but it got some of the other folks to tittering about it, and at breakfast the last day someone brought up that they need to be careful about having liquor out in the open, because 'we don't want to get a reputation, like some RV clubs have gotten'.

Personally, we don't drink at all, but we certainly didn't think anyone elses behaviour was out of line. I'd understand if they were worried about how folks were acting in front of kids, but since no one there was underage, or getting visibly drunk, I had to wonder what the big deal was. Later we read the liquor rules in the mag.

Old 09-22-2003, 01:47 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
brew haha?.......ha ha

oh my gracious goodness.....what did i stir up? What was that other club? good sam? or was it the club john hd belongs to...evil sam club.....good one john....

norby

p.s. an old navy man like myself has to have some grog for his arthureyetis doncha know....
edie: do you have anything psycodelic?

Old 09-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
wally bam bam membership

roger,
cant afford a membership,with Miss Moneypit keeping me in rags.....

norby

Old 09-22-2003, 02:53 PM   #56
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Re: brew haha?.......ha ha

Quote:
Originally posted by norbert
oh my gracious goodness.....what did i stir up? What was that other club? good sam? or was it the club john hd belongs to...evil sam club.....good one john....

norby

p.s. an old navy man like myself has to have some grog for his arthureyetis doncha know....
edie: do you have anything psycodelic?
Norby... I think you've hit on something here... the EVIL Sam Club... I like it! I think that's worth raising a pint for! Anchors Aweigh mate! Three cheers for the U.S.S. Underway!

Roger