Old 07-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

WBCCI membership

With so many forum members NOT members of WBCCI, what gives? The grind we hear all the time, is the club and its stiff rules and regimen, uniforms are big turn offs. Why don't all the non members join to help us change the club into what we all want, an airstream camping club. Please help us to rid the politics. We now have preseved "Wally's" name( at least for a year) let's do the same for the club as a whole. The club political hierarchy now clearly needs a change with membership dropping. There were around 1,006 airstreams this year we heard at Salem, but 500 were early workers. Next year in Perry Ga, we are being told there are full hookups for about 500 units. Well, don't you suppose those will be taken by THOSE early rally workers?

Another issue: Pros and Cons of being a MAL (memeber-at large) or a member of the Washington DC unit. Sure, being a member of the WDU gives all the rights of being a "unit" member, including voting rights. And the cost of unit membership is very appealing. But what's the point of joining and having the rights to vote, since there was NO delegate from the Washington DC Unit to cast a vote in Salem during this year's International.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Unfortunately,I believe it is a 'Field of Dreams' scenario....if you build it they will come.At long last it appears that the powers that be realize that something 'has' to be done to reverse the membership trend and different avenues are being looked at to achieve this.Is it too late...I don't think so but time will tell.
Being a former MAL I do find your statement interesting that there wasn't a Unit 170 delegate at the Int'l.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
With so many forum members NOT members of WBCCI, what gives? The grind we hear all the time, is the club and its stiff rules and regimen, uniforms are big turn offs. Why don't all the non members join to help us change the club into what we all want, an airstream camping club. Please help us to rid the politics.
Here is a thought that may answer some of your questions. Why do I want to spend $75 annually with the intention of straightening out someone else's mess?

My wife said to me, "Jack you don't caravan, you don't like the regional rally's or the International, and you see that the local unit didn't show up for your Moraine View rally (which this year was an official WBCCI unit event) or the informal rally the month before. You don't like the luncheons where we sit in the middle of a crowded Chinese buffet restaurant or Old Country Buffet" why in the heck do you belong?" And you know I really don't have an answer other than a WBCCI member talked me into it 4 years ago at a dealer rally, my first Airstream event.

You know we do our thing here with the forum. We organized 5 forum rallies (4 at Moraine, and one in Mackinaw City Mi), and to tell you the truth its just camping and not much else. Why try to turn around the ship when our little skiff is doing its thing and headed in the right direction? That's pretty much why I expire the membership at year's end.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I hear the same from my spouse, and I'm pretty well on the same bus, Jack.

Forum rallys work good enough for me.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Forum Rallies for Me...

It will be forum rallies for me. I will maintain my membership in WBCCI to keep my membership in VAC to attend the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club Rally each year.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Us too. There is no local chapter here that interests us. We too enjoy a loose structured, fun time with others of all ages. Lots of kids, dogs, guitars, food, firewood, canoes, all that. We find that at these Forum rallys.
No dues, just show up and be friendly.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Klevan! I was writing my thread about the VAC the same time this thread popped up! What do you think? I want to surround myself with Vintage nuts and like-minded owners of newer models (of which there are many, thank goodness).

My first Rocky Mtn rally will be this one, if I'm lucky enough for my work schedule to cooperate. (please, White Sands, delay the RFP!)
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #8

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
It will be forum rallies for me. I will maintain my membership in WBCCI to keep my membership in VAC to attend the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club Rally each year.
I don't know what the VAC membership totals are, but if they are significant, WBCCI ought to hold an appreciation day for you folks. Woe be it to them if the VAC would ever consider seceding from mother Wally.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I just bought my Airstream a few weeks ago. I plan to join WBCCI in a couple of weeks and look forward to commeraderie at rallies and fellowship with other Streamers...however, I'm afraid I may have an illusion of something that may not exist outside my imagination. I am afraid our Georgia unit may be of the type that you reference that seem to be driving membership down.

We are a forty-something couple that waited to have children so we have two young boys that would be bored to tears in a campground surrounded by a ton of serrogate grandparents! I hope I am wrong about the Georgia unit because I'm not sure there are enough MAL's or WDU's in North Georgia to get a ralley together. If that's the case, I probably won't stay a member.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Wbcci

We are new Airstream owners (June, '06); we are also new to RV-ing. We joined WBCCI because it is the "official" Airstream club. We figured that WBCCI was the place to learn camping generally and Airstreaming specifically. What we're reading here is that the club is junk. We have not yet been to any WBCCI functions, and therefore, have not formed any opinions yet.

We were just about to send in a check to register for the 2007 International in Perry, Georgia. We planned to pay the extra fee for the full 30 amp electric service. Are you telling us that without the right "connections" within WBCCI, we wil not get the 30 amp hook-up? Because if that is the case, I would as soon spend 30 days in the county jail as spend a week in an unairconditioned trailer in south Georgia in the middle of Summer.

SuEllyn and Brian McCabe
Old 07-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #11
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Forum Rallies...& the stray weekend?

We are newer to the forum and haven't had an opportunity to attend a forum rally...though we'd like to sometime.

What about a camping thread..sort of a "looking for someone to camp with service"? I keep reading replies that say, "We just want to go camping." Same with us. Why does it have to be a rally? It's been difficult to find families that want to camp here and there. We need a way to connect with a family (or families) with similar interests who would like to camp for a weekend. How about a section on the forum that helps put people together who "Just Want to Camp."
Old 07-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #12

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
We are newer to the forum and haven't had an opportunity to attend a forum rally...though we'd like to sometime.

What about a camping thread..sort of a "looking for someone to camp with service"? I keep reading replies that say, "We just want to go camping." Same with us. Why does it have to be a rally? It's been difficult to find families that want to camp here and there. We need a way to connect with a family (or families) with similar interests who would like to camp for a weekend. How about a section on the forum that helps put people together who "Just Want to Camp."
Keep in mind that the word rally doesn't always mean a large group or lots of organized activities. Rally in my mind means a gathering, which for all intents is two or more folks. We have a catagory in the rally zone which is labeled as other. Just click the forums tab at the top of your screen, locate the rally zone, and click on other rallies and events. This would be a great place to start your thread.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Klevan! I was writing my thread about the VAC the same time this thread popped up! What do you think? I want to surround myself with Vintage nuts and like-minded owners of newer models (of which there are many, thank goodness).

My first Rocky Mtn rally will be this one, if I'm lucky enough for my work schedule to cooperate. (please, White Sands, delay the RFP!)
The VAC has always been my priority, even when I went astray and purchased the 2000 Safari. Before the month was over, I was begging the purchasers to sell my old Airstream back to me. As I understand it, the VAC has at times contemplated breaking away from WBCCI. (VAC certainly does more for WBCCI than vice versa.)

Each time this comes up, the decision is made to maintain the quirky, murky relationship with WBCCI. Randy Unter of our Den-CO Unit has the details as does Fred Coldwell I believe.
See you at RMVAC! I'm presently #1 on the canx waiting list. I also have a back-up, non-rally reservation at the RV Park, so you may see me there, lurking just at the edge of light of the RMVAC campfire like a wolf pup seeking a scrap...
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
But what's the point of joining and having the rights to vote, since there was NO delegate from the Washington DC Unit to cast a vote in Salem during this year's International.
Sorry Jim...you're wrong. There was a WDU delegate present that cast the votes for the unit. I don't have my notes handy, as to how they were cast (I'm at work) but they were represented.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote