Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

WBCCI membership

With so many forum members NOT members of WBCCI, what gives? The grind we hear all the time, is the club and its stiff rules and regimen, uniforms are big turn offs. Why don't all the non members join to help us change the club into what we all want, an airstream camping club. Please help us to rid the politics. We now have preseved "Wally's" name( at least for a year) let's do the same for the club as a whole. The club political hierarchy now clearly needs a change with membership dropping. There were around 1,006 airstreams this year we heard at Salem, but 500 were early workers. Next year in Perry Ga, we are being told there are full hookups for about 500 units. Well, don't you suppose those will be taken by THOSE early rally workers?

Another issue: Pros and Cons of being a MAL (memeber-at large) or a member of the Washington DC unit. Sure, being a member of the WDU gives all the rights of being a "unit" member, including voting rights. And the cost of unit membership is very appealing. But what's the point of joining and having the rights to vote, since there was NO delegate from the Washington DC Unit to cast a vote in Salem during this year's International.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Unfortunately,I believe it is a 'Field of Dreams' scenario....if you build it they will come.At long last it appears that the powers that be realize that something 'has' to be done to reverse the membership trend and different avenues are being looked at to achieve this.Is it too late...I don't think so but time will tell.
Being a former MAL I do find your statement interesting that there wasn't a Unit 170 delegate at the Int'l.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
With so many forum members NOT members of WBCCI, what gives? The grind we hear all the time, is the club and its stiff rules and regimen, uniforms are big turn offs. Why don't all the non members join to help us change the club into what we all want, an airstream camping club. Please help us to rid the politics.
Here is a thought that may answer some of your questions. Why do I want to spend $75 annually with the intention of straightening out someone else's mess?

My wife said to me, "Jack you don't caravan, you don't like the regional rally's or the International, and you see that the local unit didn't show up for your Moraine View rally (which this year was an official WBCCI unit event) or the informal rally the month before. You don't like the luncheons where we sit in the middle of a crowded Chinese buffet restaurant or Old Country Buffet" why in the heck do you belong?" And you know I really don't have an answer other than a WBCCI member talked me into it 4 years ago at a dealer rally, my first Airstream event.

You know we do our thing here with the forum. We organized 5 forum rallies (4 at Moraine, and one in Mackinaw City Mi), and to tell you the truth its just camping and not much else. Why try to turn around the ship when our little skiff is doing its thing and headed in the right direction? That's pretty much why I expire the membership at year's end.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I hear the same from my spouse, and I'm pretty well on the same bus, Jack.

Forum rallys work good enough for me.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Forum Rallies for Me...

It will be forum rallies for me. I will maintain my membership in WBCCI to keep my membership in VAC to attend the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club Rally each year.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Us too. There is no local chapter here that interests us. We too enjoy a loose structured, fun time with others of all ages. Lots of kids, dogs, guitars, food, firewood, canoes, all that. We find that at these Forum rallys.
No dues, just show up and be friendly.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Klevan! I was writing my thread about the VAC the same time this thread popped up! What do you think? I want to surround myself with Vintage nuts and like-minded owners of newer models (of which there are many, thank goodness).

My first Rocky Mtn rally will be this one, if I'm lucky enough for my work schedule to cooperate. (please, White Sands, delay the RFP!)
Old 07-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #8

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
It will be forum rallies for me. I will maintain my membership in WBCCI to keep my membership in VAC to attend the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club Rally each year.
I don't know what the VAC membership totals are, but if they are significant, WBCCI ought to hold an appreciation day for you folks. Woe be it to them if the VAC would ever consider seceding from mother Wally.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I just bought my Airstream a few weeks ago. I plan to join WBCCI in a couple of weeks and look forward to commeraderie at rallies and fellowship with other Streamers...however, I'm afraid I may have an illusion of something that may not exist outside my imagination. I am afraid our Georgia unit may be of the type that you reference that seem to be driving membership down.

We are a forty-something couple that waited to have children so we have two young boys that would be bored to tears in a campground surrounded by a ton of serrogate grandparents! I hope I am wrong about the Georgia unit because I'm not sure there are enough MAL's or WDU's in North Georgia to get a ralley together. If that's the case, I probably won't stay a member.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Wbcci

We are new Airstream owners (June, '06); we are also new to RV-ing. We joined WBCCI because it is the "official" Airstream club. We figured that WBCCI was the place to learn camping generally and Airstreaming specifically. What we're reading here is that the club is junk. We have not yet been to any WBCCI functions, and therefore, have not formed any opinions yet.

We were just about to send in a check to register for the 2007 International in Perry, Georgia. We planned to pay the extra fee for the full 30 amp electric service. Are you telling us that without the right "connections" within WBCCI, we wil not get the 30 amp hook-up? Because if that is the case, I would as soon spend 30 days in the county jail as spend a week in an unairconditioned trailer in south Georgia in the middle of Summer.

SuEllyn and Brian McCabe
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Forum Rallies...& the stray weekend?

We are newer to the forum and haven't had an opportunity to attend a forum rally...though we'd like to sometime.

What about a camping thread..sort of a "looking for someone to camp with service"? I keep reading replies that say, "We just want to go camping." Same with us. Why does it have to be a rally? It's been difficult to find families that want to camp here and there. We need a way to connect with a family (or families) with similar interests who would like to camp for a weekend. How about a section on the forum that helps put people together who "Just Want to Camp."
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #12

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
We are newer to the forum and haven't had an opportunity to attend a forum rally...though we'd like to sometime.

What about a camping thread..sort of a "looking for someone to camp with service"? I keep reading replies that say, "We just want to go camping." Same with us. Why does it have to be a rally? It's been difficult to find families that want to camp here and there. We need a way to connect with a family (or families) with similar interests who would like to camp for a weekend. How about a section on the forum that helps put people together who "Just Want to Camp."
Keep in mind that the word rally doesn't always mean a large group or lots of organized activities. Rally in my mind means a gathering, which for all intents is two or more folks. We have a catagory in the rally zone which is labeled as other. Just click the forums tab at the top of your screen, locate the rally zone, and click on other rallies and events. This would be a great place to start your thread.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Klevan! I was writing my thread about the VAC the same time this thread popped up! What do you think? I want to surround myself with Vintage nuts and like-minded owners of newer models (of which there are many, thank goodness).

My first Rocky Mtn rally will be this one, if I'm lucky enough for my work schedule to cooperate. (please, White Sands, delay the RFP!)
The VAC has always been my priority, even when I went astray and purchased the 2000 Safari. Before the month was over, I was begging the purchasers to sell my old Airstream back to me. As I understand it, the VAC has at times contemplated breaking away from WBCCI. (VAC certainly does more for WBCCI than vice versa.)

Each time this comes up, the decision is made to maintain the quirky, murky relationship with WBCCI. Randy Unter of our Den-CO Unit has the details as does Fred Coldwell I believe.
See you at RMVAC! I'm presently #1 on the canx waiting list. I also have a back-up, non-rally reservation at the RV Park, so you may see me there, lurking just at the edge of light of the RMVAC campfire like a wolf pup seeking a scrap...
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
But what's the point of joining and having the rights to vote, since there was NO delegate from the Washington DC Unit to cast a vote in Salem during this year's International.
Sorry Jim...you're wrong. There was a WDU delegate present that cast the votes for the unit. I don't have my notes handy, as to how they were cast (I'm at work) but they were represented.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #15

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We are new Airstream owners (June, '06); we are also new to RV-ing. We joined WBCCI because it is the "official" Airstream club. We figured that WBCCI was the place to learn camping generally and Airstreaming specifically. What we're reading here is that the club is junk. We have not yet been to any WBCCI functions, and therefore, have not formed any opinions yet.

We were just about to send in a check to register for the 2007 International in Perry, Georgia. We planned to pay the extra fee for the full 30 amp electric service. Are you telling us that without the right "connections" within WBCCI, we wil not get the 30 amp hook-up? Because if that is the case, I would as soon spend 30 days in the county jail as spend a week in an unairconditioned trailer in south Georgia in the middle of Summer.

SuEllyn and Brian McCabe
I would encourage everyone not to be dissuaded from joining a WBCCI unit just because there are some of us who are going the other way. Each unit is different and your feelings regarding the organization and how it operates may significantly differ from ours. Like anything else you have to try it to see if you like it.

I would think that in Georgia there will be extra facilities brought in for power. I think all of that depends upon the number of folks who place their orders in advance, so I wouldn't balk at sending in your reservations. I don't believe that we have seen any feedback from any individual at any rally since they started offering full electric, about being turned down after they had an advanced reservation. I think we saw some issues with people who bought the electric upon arrival, but not the advanced orders.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I would encourage everyone not to be dissuaded from joining a WBCCI unit just because there are some of us who are going the other way. Each unit is different and your feelings regarding the organization and how it operates may significantly differ from ours. Like anything else you have to try it to see if you like it.

I would think that in Georgia there will be extra facilities brought in for power. I think all of that depends upon the number of folks who place their orders in advance, so I wouldn't balk at sending in your reservations. I don't believe that we have seen any feedback from any individual at any rally since they started offering full electric, about being turned down after they had an advanced reservation. I think we saw some issues with people who bought the electric upon arrival, but not the advanced orders.

Jack
Jack,

Thanks for reminding people not to avoid something because someone else on the other side of the country had a bad experience. At Tip O'Neill said "all politics is local".

I noticed empty 30 amp parking at Salem, what the facilities will be like in Georgia is, of course, unknown at this time. I know that Rich C. "Gadget" obtained 30 amp parking after he arrived at Salem.

The registration form for Perry states full hookups for the first 600 who register. I don't know how that will work as they seem to park in order of arrival.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
I too joined the wbcci last year primarily to join the VAC. I have yet to attend a rally but am really looking forward to my first at the RMVAC. I will continue my memebership in order to continue being a part of the VAC.

I doubt that I will ever caravan unless of course it is with some of you out there in AIR land, preferably boondocking
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:11 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I agree with Jack on this also. Just because it's not working out for me doesn't mean it won't be great for someone else. I definitly recommend people give their local unit a try before they brush it off. If we had more younger people getting involved in our local unit, it might be a whole different story. Just think if we had more young people involved, more fun at rallys, more people participating so the regulars weren't getting burnt out trying to organize things.

As much as we like to think having a get together doesn't require anyone to organize, we've found that every forum rally - even though it's just friends camping together - requires work to setup.

I think the name change and politics this year have really hurt the club, and caused many people to want to stay away, without really having had any interaction with their local unit at all. Which is really too bad.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Jack,

Boy I could speak volumes on this topic - and I will.

I will compare my experience between the Burning Man event and the International Rally.

First off - Entrance Gate. We had to wait almost an hour to be taken in. The one thing I would have liked to see was a welcome package telling us what was going on, where to go what to do. Burning man hands out every participant a package of information, maps, event Calendar, sticker,etc... It's called a Survival Guide. There is no guessing where to go, whom to see. Most of all there is no registration beyond what happens at the gate. You come in, hand over your tickets, get a package and you are in. Period. Now for the International I understand the need for parking and all so I do understand part of that but during the waiting at the gate I could see most of the registration taking place right there. Once we got in at the International we had to be told where to go and what to do and still the instructions did not make complete sense. This information should have been part of the package.

First Timers. We were first timers and it sucked. Everywhere we went we had to wear a badge distinguishing us as newbies. So of course whenever you don't understand something somebody looks at your badge and you can see the thoughts (Oh, they are new). We even felt that we were intentionally told misinformation because we were new. "Sorry, we don't have any more rally pins" only to find other people still getting them the following day. It all plays in the class distinction/hierarchy that exists in the organization. The young/new members want to be an equal part of the event, not distinguished as inexperienced. We are talking about the membership base that WBCCI is trying to attract.
At Burning Man, when you get through the gate you arrive at the Greeters Station. There you are asked where you came from and if you know where you are going. Most do. But we have First Timers also. When you happily announce that you are a first timer a greeter will yell "VIRGIN!!!". You are asked to leave the vehicle and you get to ring a giant bell! People scream and yell and you immediately feel welcome. No matter what you will hear the greeters say " Welcome Home" because you really are at home. Your level of discomfort starts to dissolve immediately. That will really be the only distinction. And during the event, if you tell someone you are a virgin, they will welcome you and tell you that if you need any help to ask - and they mean it. You will not get a sideways glance because you brought the wrong size hose or "y" adapter - if you know what I mean.

Volunteers. We volunteer at the Burning Man event. I can say from experience that our volunteers number in the single percentages based on the entire city population. To see that the International organizers/volunteers number in the double digit percentages only tells me that there are too many volunteers. That may mean that some are coming out early just to get a good parking spot.
I have been involved in Burning Man event long enough to know what it basically takes to build a city - it doesn't take 50%. At Burning Man, if you are not a volunteer, you are a participant. And participants help build the city by being a very interactive part of the city. There are very few tourists.

Regimentation. This does not exist at Burning Man. Well, nearly does not exist. Really, you can tell many volunteers like us because we have a radio for communication or a golf cart to get around. We also have an identification badge that we do not display. Why? because we may be a volunteer but that doesn't make us somehow better than somebody else. We are all equal. Even the "Senior Staff" are basically indistinguishable from the general population. Uniforms?? Anything from your birthday suit to whatever your imagination can conjure up is acceptable. There is nothing to make you look somehow better than your neighbor. No badges or anything.

Ceremonies/Security. I found the opening ceremony to be long and quite frankly kind of boring. Watching 144 flags walk down an aisle, one at a time, didn't inspire me in any way whatsoever. The opening ceremony was preceded by a rather long lecture of do's and don'ts that quite frankly could have been printed up and handed out as part of a welcome package. It reminded me of my first few months in boot camp where we were talked down to. It was quite oppressive. "Wear your badge everywhere you go. If you loose it, it will not be replaced". Who cares. There are far more effective ways of dealing with security and, as it was, none of that prevented the many thefts I heard about at the event. Besides, whop was checking badges??? What if you don't have one?? Get a day pass with no identification? Where was the security?
At Burning Man there is a ceremony every minute of every day. Pick one and go have a ball. As for security, we have a large team of volunteers called the Rangers. They are the self-police force for the event. They resolve disputes and are responders for whatever needs may arise. We also have regular law enforcement at the event. Crime at Burning Man??? Very little. I have never heard of someone getting broke into. I did hear of someone taking a mirror covered jeep for a jay ride. When the rangers and then the police finally caught up to the perpetrator we thought it was going to be a big deal. Well it turned out that the perp and the victim talked it out and wound up dropping all charges. It was a joy ride and the perpetrator didn't mean any harm - or so he said. Nobody went to jail and nobody was harmed.

Community. It abounds everywhere you go at Burning Man. That is self explanatory. We so greatly depend on each other out on the playa that we must get along and work things out. I have never heard of a single fight. Yes there are disagreements. Heck - it's in the 100's out there, the dust is blowing and you are hot and dirty. But you understand because so is everybody else. I promise that if there is a fight, you will see those same people toasting a drink later.
At the International I saw community but mostly in the VAC tent. The nightly gatherings were informal and any announcement s were timely and short. People met to talk and spend some time together. That was the best part of the International for us. GO VAC!!!! You guys get it!

Now I could go on and on. But I think you get the point. The bottom line is that the International epitomizes the main reasons why the WBCCI is having trouble reaching the multitudes of new Airstream owners. They are working (hopefully) to identify the needs of the changing demographic. If they want a good example, look to Burning Man. The events are different but they are the same. A yearly gathering that brings together people of like minds for a week or more of sharing what they love most.

These are our thoughts and do not encompass all that we feel but reach some of the more prominent points. And if you are tired of hearing about Burning Man keep this in mind. The event costs the same to attend, no services are provided to the participants. You must be completely self sufficient the entire time you are there. And still the event grows by almost 10 percent every year. How is the International doing???
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Shari,

At sometime after you all came from the delegates meeting, someone in our core group said the WDU was not represented. Chris says it as Patti. That's what generated my question in the first place. Why become a WDU, when as a MAL, in the end was the same, with no vote.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote