Old 10-15-2006, 08:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Could the trend be telling us that they like belonging but there is something about the nearby units OR the activities of the Unit that keep them from joining??? Mike-can these number be broken down by region? I apologize if some one has already asked this of you and I just don't know where to find it.
They could be broke down by state which would give an idea of region totals.This will be easy when I get to the point I have all the data on computer and can pull up the numbers.Right now,I'm not at that point. The only way would be to go through the directory one listing at a time and add them up.
Maybe an email to Jodi Morris/WBCCI Membership Director to answer your question.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:39 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Mike, I took your actual total membership numbers above, pasted them into Excel and did an extrapolation.

The result is attached. This result assumes nothing more radical happens than the variation typical of the last decade.
Click on graph for a larger view.
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about for the past two or so years with current WBCCI members throwing mostly everything but their RVs dual pan kitchen sink my way.

I don't think the club will totally go away, but think you'll find splintered off units that will no doubt go it alone without an international presence. My guess is that it will take less than 25 years for this to happen. I'm thinking around 10. Why? Mother Nature. A fair number of folks (who represent the bulk of the current membership nationally) are above a certain age and with fewer and fewer new folks joining the ranks, when Airstream sales are and have been for the past 3-4 years been at their highest........it doesn't take a PHD to connect the dots.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:54 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
....and another thing....if you further took out the VAC folks from the membership totals, if the requirement to be a part of VAC (which IMHO is doing it correctly) didn't have to include being part of WBCCI, I think those numbers would be even worse. In a way, VAC carries a small part of WBCCI. I think that a fair number of folks if given the chance would walk from WBCCI and simply have a VAC memership.

One last point and I'll get off my soapbox and stick my nose out of it, now being a member that dropped it.

They gave a free membership for every new Airstream sold in 2003. How many renewed during this high sales Airstream is enjoying, even back then? I think the numbers can tell you better than I can.

I agree with nearly everything everyone has said in this thread to this point.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 10-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Silvertwinkle, you hit the nail directly on the head. More and more Airstreams, less and less WBCCI members, do you think some changes are needed?
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Silvertwinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie

They gave a free membership for every new Airstream sold in 2003. How many renewed during this high sales Airstream is enjoying, even back then? I think the numbers can tell you better than I can.

I know you like actual numbers....here they are.In 2003,WBCCI gave out 635 free memberships...287 did not renew.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Silvertwinkle, you hit the nail directly on the head. More and more Airstreams, less and less WBCCI members, do you think some changes are needed?

Yes I do as one of the folks who got a free membership, and didn't renew.

The issue is that human beings in general can be frightened or resistant to change. That's normal, but the powers that be, talk a great game of rich legacy of the club...so much so that for the most part it will end with their generation as a result of the national movements reluctance to change anything out of the post WW2 mentality. Keep in mind a few "local" units are riding the wave and seem to be doing great because they cater to the local tastes, but don't forget that these are not in the majority.

JFK said it best:

"So, let us not be blind to our differences - but let us also direct attention to our common interests and to the means by which those differences can be resolved."

I also think he said something like:

A mistake doesn't have to be an error unless you refuse to address it (or something along those lines).

WBCCI has not embraced generational differences, drawn any strength on the basic common interests. Nor has WBCCI learned from mistakes they've had clear indicators to (membership numbers) for nearly or beyond 10 years as pointed out in the charts on this thread.

It really is a shame too. In concept WBCCI should be the perfect place for Airstreamers of all types to meet and hangout. However, if you look back historically, these same folks that now occupy the ranks didn't want to let Argosy trailers in, many have issues with the Basecamp, yet now these same folks were having open discussions about maybe letting other non-Airstream built RVs into the club?

It all just seems so backassward to me.

I personally do enjoy the forum rallies that take place. From what I head that was the way WBCCI use to be until the inmates took control of the asylum. Of course, if you'd like I can tell you what I really feel.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
I know you like actual numbers....here they are.In 2003,WBCCI gave out 635 free memberships...287 did not renew.

...and how many of those 348 still remain? We can talk round and round about it, but the bottom line numbers are getting softer and softer.

I'd welcome other people's thoughts as to why this is.