Old 02-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #29
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
This club happens to have a MAL category. I can't find a single reason why that classification should exist, nor can I find a single reason why it shouldn't be done away with.

We generate so many MALs today because of the convenience of signing members up by credit card. That's it -- that's why. HQs doesn't have the time to talk to each individual that signs up about what unit they should belong to. It takes too much time because HQs can't answer a lot of common questions you might expect an applicant to ask. So we generate MALs, more now than ever. Why? It has nothing to do with independence, voting rights, or the cost of dues. It has to do with PLASTIC.
I was a member when the MAL came to the forefront. It was a portion of the ill fated free year of membership program that WBCCI did a number of years back. There was no equitable way to assign this new buyer to a unit and be sure they were getting added to a unit that worked for them. The concern was that the member was "forced" into a unit. So MAL was created and persists to this day. There is a catch 22 in place, MALS cannot vote so they can't vote to change their status......

I believe Leo has hit the nail on the head regarding the credit card issue. The club as a whole has not kept up with the world and the way things work in the real word. If I want to Join the club at 3 AM in my pj's they need to have a way for me to do that. If I only have one choice to do it via credit card, then that is what I am going to do. Many MALs I have met just want to belong so they can attend a rally here and there or take a caravan once in a while. It is all about belonging, not necessarily about voting. I think the initiative from last year proves that.

The units that allow for web sign up and take a credit card will see members in their area join through a unit. It is all about making it easy. Every time I have ever mentioned the idea of taking a credit card for dues the push back I get is "the fees on that are expensive". So we are going to miss out on a potential member because we are unwilling to eat 5% of the membership fee..... thats just DUMB.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #30
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F
I don't think "technically" you can be an associate member of a unit while being a MAL, but I could be wrong. Wonder if you could be an associate member of a unit without paying dues to International at all. . . .?
You cannot be a an associate member of a unit without paying international dues.

the Associate/Affiliate member dues is not a way to dilute the members attention as has been mentioned here, but was initially set up for members to cover the costs of including them in the unit mailings, etc. It is also a way to test the waters of a different unit and be a member vs. a visitor if you are looking to switch. I am a member of one unit, an Affiliate of another and a member of the VAC. Does that mean I do not pay attention to the unit that I am on the board of, NO. I took an oath of office and I will fulfill my term(s). I know that some unit constitutions prohibit Affiliates form serving in elected positions in their unit. Some members do this to prevent being asked to serve. All those that can do, those that choose not to serve are still valuable because they add to the membership and bring something to the table by participation, IMHO.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote