Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #41
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Yes, but Wally's caravans set the stage for the club's formation and the company made the club happen as I understand it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Correct, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
A lack of Bob posts has me going through withdrawal. Ah such is life, here today, flash in the pan, and then gone tomorrow.

A MAL status does best represent my allegiance but puts a dent in the pocket book. I don't think a single member or small representative group could succeed in altering WBCCI status quo. The alumni club, or International club is definitely calling the shots.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Yeh Carol,

But is it not nice that you are not getting yelled at and being called names and being told you don't know what you are talking about?

Just another example of the WBCCI IBT/EC7 Leadership, Special Commitee, etc... communications problem and why people are leaving. Stay in the club and get beat-up, leave the club and have fun.

Some of us must just like the abuse!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #45
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Carol, perhaps the search function can help you get all of Bob's posts if you need to escape withdrawal. Maybe he is tied up still trying to decide whether he wants a 27 or a 25: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...7fb-78185.html

Gene
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Smile Let's Face It

The September Blue Beret is now online. Here are the new officers for 2011-2012. As Bullwinkle would say, "No doubt about it - I gotta get another hat!" or not.

How 'bout you? If you've got it flaunt it! Show us you in your blue beret and how you wear yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012IBT.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	138760  

photography
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Don't be shy. OK, I will start it off. Here is me taken a while ago at the International in Salem Oregon.

Name:	wbi%2029.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	138767

And just for fun, how many of these famous characters can you identify?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flamingo111.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	504.6 KB
ID:	138768   Click image for larger version

Name:	winning.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	138771  

Name:	leo.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	138772   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS_gothic%202.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	138773  

Name:	SWCatInTheHatFLIPPED.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	138774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8006.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	138776  

Attached Images

photography
Old 08-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Carol, wasn't that 2air's hat? He was trying to get pictures of it on everybody who was anybody. I also like that photo of Michael.

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pienjim View Post
Carol, wasn't that 2air's hat? He was trying to get pictures of it on everybody who was anybody. I also like that photo of Michael.

Paula
BINGO! Paula you pegged it! Yup I met 2Air for the first time in Salem and he had everyone wearing that beret from Dave S from Airstream, maybe even Dicky Regal, and Rich and family from Airstream Life, Doc Holman who owns the 1934 Airstream Torpedo, and so many others. It was so funny. (2Air if you are out there, know that we are missing you!) I love that photo of Michael too. I hope he doesn't mind that I reposted his picture here. It's such a great shot and good promo for the wearing of the beret.

photography
Old 08-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I met 2Air for the first time in Salem and he had everyone wearing that beret from Dave S from Airstream, maybe even Dicky Regal, and Rich and family from Airstream Life, Doc Holman who owns the 1934 Airstream Torpedo, and so many others. It was so funny.
Carol--you mean you have actually met 2Air--he's not a mythical creature after all? What does he look like? Is he really a rabbit?
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I have also met the mysterious 2air.

Bil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Carol--you mean you have actually met 2Air--he's not a mythical creature after all? What does he look like? Is he really a rabbit?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
I have also met the mysterious 2air.

Bil
Of course 2Air exists...Here are a few pictures of 2Air with Bill and a couple of the WBCCI usherettes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	harvey3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	138853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewart_Harvey_photo_Rabbit.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	138855  

Name:	Annex%20-%20Stewart,%20James%20(Harvey)_04.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	138857   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-02-10_OKurth_Harvey_the_Rabbit.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	138858  

Attached Images

photography
Old 08-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am not a member of WBCCI, but I did visit the internationl rally because we were in the area when they held it this year. It looked like a nice event and the few people we spoke with were very nice.

I have been reading for several years about the WBCCI and have formed an idea what is going on with the politics. I can base my opinions off being involved with huge non profit sports clubs most of my adult life. It doesn't matter if it is Airstream, Soccer, Swimming, or Dance. It is the same when it comes to boards, officers and members.

My fellow coaches have put it in perspective over the years. You get a person who has a average normal life and elect them, or place them in a position of power and it goes to their head. I am not talking about the majority but a select group. For thirty years I would see the most wonderful parents who I enjoyed working with become an officer or elected official and they would change. They would go from a normal person concerned about their child and convert to an expert (not) who would become nasty and start telling the coaches how we should coach and do our job. They would want to dictate everything even the line up for the athletes.

I think my experiences from the past just keeps me from these types of organizations. What I read about concerning the WBCCI I have experienced over and over again with different clubs and boards. I got to say I sure am glad we have TAC and I hope it never gets the conflicts that I have experienced in the past.

Rob thanks for serving our country. You are a hero in my eyes. People like you should be in charge. You should have not been denied the position you were in line for because of service. Thanks for serving our country and keep airstreaming. Plus you put on one heck of a fire works show at the first TAC Ralley.

Brian
Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #54
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Being on a board is not easy. Even if you are sure some or many of the other board members are doing a bad job, have had power go to their heads, or are there for self serving reasons (ego, money, etc.), you have to work with them to get things changed. Rarely do you have an immediate majority and you may never get it. The amount of work a responsible board member has to do can be overwhelming and travel can cost you a lot of money unless it is subsidized (then you get criticized for that, sometimes with good reason). If you want reform, it takes even more time and it can be very distasteful working with people for whom you have no respect.

It takes a high degree of self awareness to avoid having power go to your own head and to maintain connection with what is really going on beyond the internal politics of the board and staff. If you can't change things quickly, you will be criticized as having been co-opted.

Some organizations do better and some do worse. Selecting an executive director to run the organization is very important because board members do not have the skills and/or time to effectively run an organization in most cases. Even with an exec. dir., the duties of the president and other officers are substantial. The amount of paperwork can be overwhelming. You have to make alliances, convince people to the do their jobs, recruit new people. Some organizations limp along without a executive director and there are a wide variety of outcomes, but I think mostly the outcomes are negative. A good exec. dir. costs money and over time I think it is a savings, but others would disagree.

Sometimes a board is captured by those who want to return to the past. The capture may not be intentional or planned, but just a result of a small group who are eager to help ("help" is defined by them) when no one else comes forth to run for an office. Once there, it is not difficult to maintain control for a long time once they have control of the nominating process and the organization's communications system (newsletter, magazine, etc.). As membership declines, the leaders will hunker down and make it worse. They spend a lot of time on their jobs and don't understand why they aren't appreciated; they may see themselves as martyrs. Under pressure, their reactions may be childish. The leaders will resort to what they did in their past lives—if they were military lifers, they will impose a top down structure and absolute obedience (others may do the same thing). This may work in an army, but not in a democracy. Eventually the reformers, thwarted over and over, will say "something has to die before it can be reborn".

A return to the past, one that often never existed and is a myth, is a poor program for moving forward.

Being in a leadership position is not easy and takes much more time than most people want to give. The skills of leading are not easily learned and not everyone can do it. A disorganized membership cannot reform such an organization. Organizing skills also require time and learning.

Maybe somewhere in the background some people are organizing to take over the WBCCI and are learning these lessons. It will take some time and they will have to develop a high degree of self awareness. I wish them luck, patience and strength of purpose.

Gene
Old 08-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Boyz/Girlz

In an effort not to sound like a “sexist” but someone that needs to point something out. It appears the WBCCI EC7/IBT is no longer a “Good Ole Boyz Club” but a “Good Ole Boy’z/Girl's Club”. Looking at the new WBCCI leadership, 50% of the Region Prez’s is ran by “The Girl's” and 50% is ran by the “The Boyz” and the IP level spots it’s a 60/40 split between boyz/girls.

This might be far better in the long run if one follows the line of the old joke about “If women ruled the world”. Instead of a single huge issue once a year that lasts about 9 months causing people to leave the club, yell and scream, create lawsuits and get kicked out of the club and such. We can expect just a 12 small problems to pop up through the year that should last no more than about a week each time.

So with that ladies, “CONGRATS”!!!!!!! Maybe there’s hope after all for the WBCCI. All I ask don’t make me wear a pink beret.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Oh that's bad Paul!
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote